News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on January 14, 2012, 06:05:00 PMI'll pull a Cor here and put in a recommendation for prestidigitation instead. It has less utility than message, but it's a style boost.

I was fully expecting Cor to chime in with that! I don't really care either way, honestly.

QuoteDo me a favor and list them here along with what any unusual ones do? Ditto with minor lore so I have on hand what it does precisely.
Sure. I put them all on my sheet with links to site with the feat descriptions, but I'll relist them here:
Savvy Rogue - You can use the opportunist ability as many times per round as you can make attacks of opportunity, but no more than once per creature per round. Each use of the opportunist ability counts as an attack of opportunity. (Note: Savvy Rogue is currently listed as a level-up feat instead of Improved Initiative, as otherwise I would not be able to pick it up.)
Combat Reflexes - You should know this one!
Deft Opportunist - Gain a +4 to attack when making an AoO.
Expert Tactician - If I hit someone with an AoO, allies (including me) get +2 circumstance bonus to melee/damage vs that enemy for 1 round.
Improved Critical (Glaive) - threat range goes from just 20 to 19-20.

Also:
Minor Lore is a Trap Sense ACF from Races of Eberron. It is usually a changeling only ACF, so I'd asked on that one for that reason. You gain a +1 bonus on all trained knowledge checks (doesn't do anything for untrained knowledge), and the bonus increases by one at every level trap sense would increase (so right now it's a +3 bonus). Also, if I do an aid-another check, instead of just adding +2 to the other person's knowledge check, I'd add both the +2 and the +3 from minor lore for a total +5.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Final batch.

Drena's done. Of note, he rolled a 3 on a d8 for hit points. He gained +1 bab, divine health(redundant), and what the hell happened to Drena's saves?! DOH! People, if you notice these things, tell me! Let me go do his saves! Done. Took toughness as a feat as filler, though he could use more HP anyway. Gained mass charm monster as an SLA. Gained 1 6th and 7th level charge. No new spells known. Level Rating: 1/10. Filler level for both classes. Hell, even the Contemplative class feature is filler for him since he's already disease immune.

Kascha's done. Of note, she rolled a 7 on a d8 for hit points. She gained +1 bab, draconic discovery 6th(quicken and summon greater elemental), +1 ref and fort, took Skill Focus(Religion); noticed her int skills were -3 lower than they should. Whoops, never added in the bonus from Draco Magery. Fixed. Added in the bonus from knowledge of the wyrm. With Arrel, sometimes Hope and Baleruk around, she has plenty of dragons to talk to. Gained a 5th and an 8th level slot. Memorized another empowered fireball for generic blasting needs and Dimensional Lock. Level Rating: 6/10. Nice goodies all around. A quickened greater elemental isn't fair.

Hanna's done. Of note, she rolled an 8 on a d12 for hit points. She gained +1 bab, another use of smite evil, +1 ref and will, took Extra Smiting as a feat since I envision her smiting a lot, +1 3rd and 5th cleric slots, as well as 1+1 8th level slots. She chose another greater command and cure serious wounds, as well as power word stun and lion's roar. She gained another 2nd level Champion of Gywnharwyf slot, which went to a second Shield Other. Level Rating: 5/10. Average.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Sylvie later tonight or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow, even if I start tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

QuoteDOH! People, if you notice these things, tell me!
I hadn't even noticed!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Likewise. I feel like a dumbass.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

5th level paladin spellcasting. This is for epic. Do these spells all fit and look good? Generally I followed trends from earlier levels. I can elaborate on this if desired.

Ye Grande Paladin Spell List 5+

Book order: SRD, SC, CC, FC2, PHB2, BoED, CoV.

SRD: atonement, cure critical wounds, flame strike, mass cure light wounds, plane shift, righteous might, spell resistance, true seeing.
SC: divine agility, life's grace, stalwart pact, vulnerability, zone of respite.
Cityscape: zone of peacebond.
CC: divine retribution, light of purity, mark of sin.
FC1: inner beauty.
PHB2: condemnation, dancing blade, radiance, renewed vigor.
BoED: celestial brilliance, crown of flame, sacred guardian, telepathy block, vanishing weapon.
CoV: dawnshroud.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Inner Beauty is hilarious, can I Permanency it?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

I'm sure those spells are all fine for paladins, but having 28 spells known at 5th level when they average 10 per level for the previous levels seems a bit odd. Or are these for 5th/6th/7th level casting?

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on January 15, 2012, 09:28:59 AM
I'm sure those spells are all fine for paladins, but having 28 spells known at 5th level when they average 10 per level for the previous levels seems a bit odd. Or are these for 5th/6th/7th level casting?

5th. That also includes splatbooks. For reference, 4th level paladin casting has 9 (SRD) + 10 (SC) alone. When you factor in other splatbooks, the total about checks out. Remember, paladins get spells from bunches of splatbooks as a base class.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 15, 2012, 06:25:44 AM
Inner Beauty is hilarious, can I Permanency it?

Nah. I'm sure the answer for non-enhancement stat boost spells is going to be no.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

6th level paladin spells. Let me know if you see any you don't think fit, or any spells that should fit that I missed.

SRD: antilife shell, greater dispel magic, heal, mass bull's strength, mass cure moderate wounds, mass eagle's splendor, mass owl's insight.
SC: bolt of glory, visage of the diety.
CC: light of courage, spiritual guardian, weight of sin.
PHB2: chasing perfection.
BoED: celestial blood, crown of brilliance, touch of adamantine, vengeance halo.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Revised permanency rules. What do you guys think? I want feedback on these before I houserule 'em.

Permanency and YOU!

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You may remember me from movies like Fighter Bonus Feats and You, Psionics: The New Frontier and Cheese Factory 4: Cleric Dips and Devotion Feats. Today we're going to be talking about the spell Permanency. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Permanency lets you make a spell last forever! Now I know what you're saying! Troy, that's awesome! Where do I sign up? Well, hold your horses a moment! If you go off and get true seeing with permanency attached, you may wake up in a bathtub full of ice cubes,  with a scar over your kidney and down 12 points of constitution!

Let's start with the rules of permanency. You can find it right below where we are right now! Entries in bold have been changed from the standard version.

QuotePermanency
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M.
Casting Time: 24 hours.

Range: See text.
Target, Area or Effect: See text.
Duration: Permanent; see text.
Saving Throw: No.
Spell Resistance: None.

This spell makes certain other spells permanent. Depending on the spell, you must be of a minimum caster level and expend a number of gold pieces. In addition, the target, if a creature, must have a enough hit dice or suffer constitution penalties.

First of all, the caster must have a caster level of 8 + the level of the spell to be made permanent. The caster does not need to cast the spell to be made permanent himself, but another caster or item must have the sufficient caster level. Failing to meet the requirement causes permanency to fail. The casting of permanency requires rare ungents and herbs worth 1,000 gold pieces times the level of the spell to be made permanent. If these are not present, the permanency fails. The target, if a creature, must have hit dice equal to the spell to be made permanent times three. For example, a 2nd level spell requires a creature with six hit dice. If your hit dice are lower than this, you suffer a penalty to constitution equal to the difference between your hit dice and the required level. For example, a 2nd level creature with a permanent see invisibility effect would suffer a -4 penalty to constitution. This penalty cannot be overcome in any way as long as the permanent spell remains on the creature. If the creature lacks a constitution score, the permanency fails instead.

In any case, a creature cannot have more than two permanent spells active on him. Additional permanency spells fail. If a creature is willing, a successful dispel magic check can dispel permanency and thus the spell is was making permanent.

The caster level of permanent spells is static if cast on another person or on an object/area. If you cast a permanent spell on yourself, the caster level scales with your caster level. A permanent spell is suppressed by an anti-magic field as normal and resumes as soon as the field is left. Dispel magic and other effects can suppress a permanent spell for 1d4*10 minutes on a successful dispel magic check.

Follow all that? Easy as can be, right? Good! Now I'm sure you're asking what spells qualify to be made permanent. Let's get into that right now! First of all, the ultimate choice of what spells can be made permanent lies with your DM! Make sure to ask him first of all. Beyond that, this list of handy guidelines can let anyone figure out of a spell should be allowed to be made permanent!

Good spells for permanency

Perception spells as established in the SRD permanency spell. For example, see invisibility, detect magic and read magic. These spells seldom cause balance issues, and are quite often cast repeatedly. Making these permanent makes everyone's life a little easier.
Spells with 1 hour/level or longer spells. For example, mage armor. These spells are often as good as permanent, especially if a higher level caster applies Extend Spell to them. Since they are, making them permanent doesn't change balance at all.
Out of battle utility spells. For example, light. These spells are often conveniences that impact gameplay in a minimal way, if at all. Unless this spell isn't suitable for the campaign, there's no reason not to allow them to be permanent.
Spells that streamline gameplay. For example, identify. These spells allow everything to work smoother. A smooth game makes things more fun for everyone, so this is a good reason to make a spell permanent.
Spells that can help correct a fundamental imbalance that can't be easily corrected otherwise. These are the hardest to qualify, as this comes down to DM judgment. If the question is 'Can making this spell permanent salvage something that is harming the game and that no other reasonable means can?', then it may qualify for this.

Bad spells to be made permanent

Spells with a duration of round/level or 1 min/level. For example, most of your favorite buffs. Most of the spells are powerful but short lived. Making them permanent can radically alter gameplay balance. This is a no-no!
Ability boosting spells, especially any that are non-enhancement bonus. For example, divine agility, inner beauty. These allow cheap stat boosts, and permanent, non-enhancement bonus stat boosts can cause stat bloat. These spells are rare and precious, allowing anyone to permanency them cheapens them and hurts balance.
Things that should be epic magic items. For the sake of style and balance I'd rather not. For example, permanent superior resistance. Style choice.
Spells that cost GP per casting or have a component like sacrifice/corruption. For example, sanctified magic or stoneskin. These spells are balanced on the assumption you pay a cost in casting them each time. They don't balance to the way permanency is designed.
Spells on an object or creature that you can't target them with. For example, righteous might or divine favor.  These spells can only be self targeted! So you can't put them on another person anyway, silly!

DM judgment is the final arbiter of any permanency request. Same as the DM having final say so on custom magical items. Before you ask me, review your spell. If it has more negative qualities than positive qualities, think twice about asking your DM! He'll probably say no, and you'll wonder why he's beating his head in with his DMG!
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Will this affect my current permanencied spell?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 15, 2012, 06:45:11 PM
Will this affect my current permanencied spell?

As far as the guidelines go, no. You end at +2 or +1. I may tweak it for balance reasons - I'm fine with you having a high damage output, but your flurry potential is getting too high. We'll see how it goes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sylvie's up. A picture and spells are coming soon.
<Afina> Forever.