News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

As you all know, you're 4 levels away from reaching epic. There's a good chance this game will make it there now, so I think it's time to talk about it. First of all, you're all spellcasters of one stripe or another. There's various approaches you can use for epic spellcasting. Whichever one you want to use is up to you.

1. Ignore it. There's no obligation to keep taking caster levels past 20. Diversify out and don't worry about it. This is the simplest answer, though it may not be entirely practical.

2. Ignore epic magic and focus on boosting your existing casting. With feats like Improved Metamagic, Automatic Metamagic, Great Ability, Epic Spell Focus and so on, you can focus on honing what you already have. While you won't gain any more spells or tricks, you'll get better with what you have.

3. Take Epic Spell Capacity and use epic magic. This requires the investment of a feat but gains you access to more spell charges and more resources. While it sounds nice, there is one mitigating factor. You'll end up having to make at least some of your own spells, as epic's support base is low. This is considerable amount of effort and will requires you to put more work into your character.

You don't need to decide right now, or even until level 21 or whenever you finish up your spell progression. Do keep it in mind, so that when it is time you can make a considered and informed choice. Take a look at what epic spells are already in the epic rules section of house rules, think and ponder it. I'll be posting a small guide on epic spell creation a little later. If you have questions you'd like answered in it, let me know.

Second of all, there's the matter of saves. Level 20 is the last level that you use class save progressions. At level 21+ you use the epic save progression instead. So if you were thinking about a dip to give your saves an extra little boost, you'll want to do so by level 20 at the latest. Also, while not official yet, I'm almost certainly going to reduce the epic save bonus progression to +1 at level 23 and every three levels thereafter. Saves are usually too high come epic in normal D&D, gestalt only exacerbates this problem.

Third, epic feats are coming up as well as epic PrCs. You may want to consider what epic feats you want and what non-epic prerequisites they require. You have one more feat between now and epic, so if you need something in place for that, this is the time. As far as epic PrCs go, the ones in the house rules are all valid choices. Any in the SRD are also valid, though may require revisions - some are underwhelming, over-prerequisited or simply in need of update from 3.0's design paradigm. If any of those interest you, talk to me. If you want to make a new epic PrC, you're more than welcome to. However, you need to be able to answer one question: Why is this an epic PrC instead of a normal PrC? What about epic is required to make this concept work?

Finally, have fun and continue to use this to resist your fates. Can you overturn the destiny dictated from Nessus? Can you defeat fate itself, twisted by Baator's iron chains?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Mostly reposting stuff, since all the recent posts put it pages away and out of sight.

First, on the chef. It might be cool if he got a name and/or a listing in the Aurora topic? I like how people have places where they can often be found, it's a nice bit of flavor.

Second, my Permanency question. I think this would be neat, and whatever the answer it'd help me see how you decide Permanency spells better.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031931.html#msg1031931

Third, rolled this for Merc a while back. I saw you respond to Yuth's roll but not this one, so I've been wondering if you missed it.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031848.html#msg1031848

Last, alignment stuff. I'm considering a shift to exciting zealotry, but I won't if it ends up leading to headaches. The more info I have to decide, the better.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031658.html#msg1031658
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031701.html#msg1031701
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031721.html#msg1031721
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Merc

Quote from: AnastasiaAs you all know, you're 4 levels away from reaching epic. There's a good chance this game will make it there now, so I think it's time to talk about it.
I've thought about it.

Quoteepic spells
I'm still not charmed by the epic spell lists for duskblades, particularly level 6, though I know you were making some cooler spells like the vacuum one, and I dunno exactly what spell creation options are for duskblades (if any). Most pre-epic spells have caps on them for scaling too, and even if I don't like the spells, I can still use them for better arcane strike. So yeah, epic feat tax will be paid. That said, I'm debating whether I'd rather pick up automatic quick cast at 21 or epic spell capacity. Either way, I'd take the other at 24, along with improved AQC.

Quoteepic saves
Hadn't considered the epic save thing. I had mentioned that I'd planned to go back to rogue, and then start taking the prestige archivist class in epic, but given rogue 13 gives no saves, so I might hold off on that for level 21. I'll still pick up rogue for level 18-19 though.

Quoteepic feats
While not definite, I do have a general idea of where to go...
21: Automatic Quick Cast
24: Epic Spell Capacity + Improved Automatic Quick Cast
27: (depends on what I end up taking on rogue side, but might default to Source of Inspiration)
28: Superior Initiative
30: (depends on what I end up taking on rogue side, but might default to Epic Font of Inspiration)

Part of it depends on how that AoO epic PrC you were making finishes shaping up or if I have any ideas for other new epic feats.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Yuthirin

QuoteRapid Healing

This ring grants a living wearer fast healing 3. It must be worn for 24 hours before its powers activate, and if removed it will not function again until it has been worn for 24 hours by the same individual. Market Price: 300,000 gold. Spells used: regenerate.

This is weird. The SRD has a Ring of Regeneration for 90,000. Regen is better. Right?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2012, 09:26:26 PM
QuoteRapid Healing

This ring grants a living wearer fast healing 3. It must be worn for 24 hours before its powers activate, and if removed it will not function again until it has been worn for 24 hours by the same individual. Market Price: 300,000 gold. Spells used: regenerate.

This is weird. The SRD has a Ring of Regeneration for 90,000. Regen is better. Right?

Quick answer here: The Ring of Regeneration heals 1 hit point every hour. Not round. Hour.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2012, 08:05:33 PMFirst, on the chef. It might be cool if he got a name and/or a listing in the Aurora topic? I like how people have places where they can often be found, it's a nice bit of flavor.

I swore I gave him a name. I'll add him to the Aurora post when I update the shops shortly.

QuoteSecond, my Permanency question. I think this would be neat, and whatever the answer it'd help me see how you decide Permanency spells better.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031931.html#msg1031931

Points in its favor are that the duration is 24 hours and that it (arguably) corrects a fundamental imbalance in gameplay; scry in die in particular. There's no point against them, either. I honestly don't have any concrete objection to doing so, go ahead if you wish. My complaint boils down to not liking the spell. I don't have a particular mechanical beef with it; while you can argue that it should allow SR or a save, the function it accomplished isn't one that automatically needs it. The spells just bug me on a personal level. I don't know why. At worst if I feel it's being abused or poorly balanced, I'll slap a save or spell resistance on it.

So yeah, go ahead.

QuoteThird, rolled this for Merc a while back. I saw you respond to Yuth's roll but not this one, so I've been wondering if you missed it.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031848.html#msg1031848

The ring has the symbol of Swanmays, an organization of nature based, exalted women who can shapeshift into swans. In particular it refers to the Swan Kingdom - you don't know anything else, it's fairly obscure Prime Material information.

QuoteLast, alignment stuff. I'm considering a shift to exciting zealotry, but I won't if it ends up leading to headaches. The more info I have to decide, the better.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031658.html#msg1031658
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031701.html#msg1031701
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1031721.html#msg1031721

Let's not. It's going to lead to headaches the more I think about it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on February 24, 2012, 09:15:48 PMI'm still not charmed by the epic spell lists for duskblades, particularly level 6, though I know you were making some cooler spells like the vacuum one, and I dunno exactly what spell creation options are for duskblades (if any). Most pre-epic spells have caps on them for scaling too, and even if I don't like the spells, I can still use them for better arcane strike. So yeah, epic feat tax will be paid. That said, I'm debating whether I'd rather pick up automatic quick cast at 21 or epic spell capacity. Either way, I'd take the other at 24, along with improved AQC.

Spell creation costs nothing and is basically free. Since epic lacks support I'm not going to charge you for making up spells. If you want a spell, make one up and if I approve it, you can take it and I'll add it to the epic duskblade spell list. By all means, feel free to do so. There's no checks or expenses involved. The player shouldn't be penalized for having to make up new gaming materials for epic.

QuotePart of it depends on how that AoO epic PrC you were making finishes shaping up or if I have any ideas for other new epic feats.

I backburnered it, as I wasn't comfortable with how it turned out. Honestly, since I dislike AoO builds like that I'm not the sort of person who should be making a class around it. I'm invariably unhappy with the results since I dislike the premise. This in turns leads me to wanting to revise it, yet I'm not happy with that result so it ends up being zero-sum. If you wanna take a stab at the concept feel free.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Dune, what's your opinion on Optional material components from Complete Mage?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2012, 09:48:33 PM
Dune, what's your opinion on Optional material components from Complete Mage?

About the same opinion as buying Metamagic rods, I suppose.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

QuoteI backburnered it, as I wasn't comfortable with how it turned out. Honestly, since I dislike AoO builds like that I'm not the sort of person who should be making a class around it. I'm invariably unhappy with the results since I dislike the premise. This in turns leads me to wanting to revise it, yet I'm not happy with that result so it ends up being zero-sum. If you wanna take a stab at the concept feel free.
*nods* Makes sense. A bit of a pity since a lot of the ideas you had for it worked well for Ithea, but it did seem a bit powerful too. I'll pass on giving the concept a stab myself though, I honestly don't get what part of the class would signal 'this requires epic to work, concept-wise', outside of a high power level and even with the ones that you've already made up or that already exist, I don't feel I have a good frame of reference for designing there.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

The rationale I worked with was that the level of denial and skill involved was superhuman. After all, overcoming those limits and managing attacks at the slightest mistake or chance an enemy gives can't be easy.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

While Tannin is here and has a bit of downtime, he'd like to formally request any sort of magical item that would assist in gather information or bluff checks. These help him do his job.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Since we're talking about characters into epic, here's a foursome of updated build charts. I chose 33 as a completely arbitrary number. Nothing in these is set in stone, things can and do happen to divert the course of a character's career. I never imagined Adrian would take Dragon Devotee, or that Misalea would go into the Graceful Blow. Shit happens, priorities shift and needs change.

Adrian:
Spoiler: ShowHide

17: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 12/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 1//Fighter 7/Planar Champion 10
18: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 12/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 2//Fighter 8/Planar Champion 10 - Feats: Staggering Strike(18), Toughness(DD2), Greater Weapon Focus(F8)
19: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 12/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 3//Fighter 9/Planar Champion 10
20: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 12/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 4//Fighter 10/Planar Champion 10 - Feat: Combat Reflexes(F10), Dodge(DD4)
21: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 12/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 11/Planar Champion 10 - Feat: Great Ability(Strength)(21)
22: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 13/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 10 - Feat: Greater Weapon Specialization(F12)
23: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 14/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 11
24: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 15/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 12 - Feat: Epic Weapon Focus(24)
25: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 16/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 13 - Feat: Shared Planar Survival(PC13)
26: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 17/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 14
27: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 18/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 15 - Feat: Epic Weapon Specialization(27)
28: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 19/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 16 - Feat: Planar Bubble(PC16)
29: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 20/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 17
30: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 21/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 18 - Feat: Dire Charge(30)
31: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 22/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 19 - Feat: Epic Rip Portal(PC19)
32: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 23/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 20
33: Hagspawn 2/Rogue 24/Dragonfire Adept 2/Dragon Devotee 5//Fighter 12/Planar Champion 21 - Feat: Epic Toughness(33), Spellcasting Harrier(R24)

Misalea:

14: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 4//Bard 9/Sentinel 5
15: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 5//Bard 9/Sentinel 6 - Feat: Divine Power(15)
16: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 6//Bard 10/Sentinel 6
17: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 7//Bard 10/Sentinel 7
18: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 8//Bard 11/Sentinel 7 - Feat: Song of the Heart(18)
19: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 9//Bard 11/Sentinel 8 - Feat: Extra Smiting(S8)
20: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 10//Bard 12/Sentinel 8
21: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 11//Bard 12/Sentinel 9 - Feat: Great Ability(Charisma)(21)
22: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 12//Bard 13/Sentinel 9
23: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 13//Bard 13/Sentinel 10 - Feat: Improved Enchant Chosen Weapon(AD13)
24: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 14//Bard 14/Sentinel 10 - Feat: Great Ability(Charisma(24)
25: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 15//Bard 14/Sentinel 11 - Feat: Extra Smiting(S11)
26: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 16//Bard 15/Sentinel 11 - Feat: Improved Enchant Chosen Weapon(AD16)
27: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 17//Bard 15/Sentinel 12 - Feat: Great Ability(Charisma)(27)
28: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 18//Bard 16/Sentinel 12
29: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 19//Bard 17/Sentinel 12 - Feat: Greater Blur(AD19)
30: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 20//Bard 17/Sentinel 13 - Feat: Great Ability(Charisma(30)
31: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 21//Bard 18/Sentinel 13
32: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 22//Bard 18/Sentinel 14 - Feats: Extra Smiting(S14), Dire Charge(AD22)
33: Star Elf Fey Bloodline 3/Ranger 7/Arcane Duelist 23//Bard 19/Sentinel 14 - Feat: Great Ability(Charisma)(33)

Dana

16: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 3//Fighter 8/Dwarven Defender 8
17: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 4//Fighter 8/Dwarven Defender 9
18: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5//Fighter 8/Dwarven Defender 10 - Feats: Focused Shield(18), Psionic Dodge(PW5)
19: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 1//Fighter 8/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 1 - Feats: Monk default feats.
20: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 2//Fighter 8/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2 - Feat: Combat Reflexes(M2)
21: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 3//Fighter 9/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2 - Feat: Damage Reduction(21)
22: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 4//Fighter 10/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2 - Feat: Driving Attack(F10)
23: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 5//Fighter 11/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2
24: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 6//Fighter 12/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2 - Feats: Damage Reduction(24), Greater Weapon Specialization(F12)
25: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 7//Fighter 13/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2
26: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 8//Fighter 14/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2 - Feat: Overwhelming Assault(F14)*
27: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 9//Fighter 15/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2 - Feat: Damage Reduction(27)
28: Aasimar 0/Knight 13/Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 10//Fighter 16/Dwarven Defender 10/Monk (Raging Variant) 2 - Feat: Improved Initiative(F16)

Dana finishes early, as going further may well require epic Warmind. While I'm feeling more comfortable with psionics, I'm not so comfortable as to design an epic continuation on the spot for it.

Tannin

16: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 10/Spellfilch 1//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 14
17: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 10/Spellfilch 2//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 15
18: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 10/Spellfilch 3//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 16 - Feats: Quicken Spell-Like Ability(Glibness)(18)
19: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 10/Spellfilch 4//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 17
20: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 10/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 18
21: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 11/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 19 - Feats: Epic Spell Capacity(21)
22: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 12/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 20
23: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 13/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 21 - Feat: Superior Initiative(V13)
24: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 14/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 22 - Feat: Epic Skill Focus(Gather Information)(24)
25: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 15/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 23 - Feat: Penetrate Damage Reduction(Silver)(BD23)
26: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 16/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 24 - Feat: Epic Skill Focus(Bluff)(V16)
27: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 17/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 25 - Feat: Great Ability(Dexterity)(27)
28: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 18/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 26 - Feat: Battle Dance(BD26)
29: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 19/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 27 - Feat: Epic Skill Focus(Tumble)(V19)
30: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 20/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 28 - Feat: Great Ability(Strength)(30)
31: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 21/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 29 - Feat: Fist of Anarchy(BD29)
32: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 22/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 30 - Feat: Curse of the Guilty(V22)
33: Cansin 1/Rogue 4/Vigilante 23/Spellfilch 5//Fighter 2/Battle Dancer 31 - Feat: Dire Charge(33)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Cor wanted a list of the previous booksets from Vel's, so here you go. If you want information on any of them feel free to ask.

Gwinnan's Travel Logs, Volume 1: The Silver Sea. 150 gold.
Parsali's Secrets of Transmutative Alchemy. 500 gold.
The Narrative Guide to the Styx. 600 gold.
Lost Lore of the Abyss: Kelvezu demons. 250 gold.
The Hidden Blade of Elysium: 700 gold.
Biological Functions of Lemures: 100 gold.
Nephilim, Children of the Fallen: 400 gold.
The Bloodeye Ritual: 1,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'd prefer to ask IC whenever it works out.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake