News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

On returning to her room after Marambor, Ithea finds the following missive on her bed. It is in 27's handwriting.

Three acts. Three enemies. Three climaxes. Lifasa will not know peace until the grand play's final curtain falls. The second act has begun.

There are nine keys and nine guardians, as one whole. Kill them and peace can return.

Morniel knows too much, don't you think?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Since they came up IC.

The Hidden Blade of Elysium

This book speaks of the First Sunrise, a holy blade carried by a nameless paladin of antiquity. It is said this paladin accomplished a great act of good. The precise act of good varies from source to source and legend to legend. Some claim he laid a demon lord low, others claim the Oinoloth fell to his blade, and yet others claim an Archduke of Hell was cut in twain by First Sunrise; yet other sources claim he instead saved a soul from certain damnation or liberated a great swath of stolen souls from one of the Lower Planes. No matter what the truth of it is, all agree that First Sunrise is a mighty weapon. It is the Sun Sword of Sun Swords, perhaps the first one ever created. It is said to have marvelous powers - and in addition it has a twin, the Shield of the Sun.

In any case, it is said that First Sunrise was hidden away in a holy shrine within Elysium, waiting for a worthy bearer to claim it. It has never been seen on the stage of history again, so perhaps it still waits for a worthy warrior to claim it.

----

Nephilim, Children of the Fallen

Nephilim are the offspring of powerful fallen angels and mortals. Creatures of the dark that know a tiny fragment of the light, they are beautiful as angels and as accursed as the worst fiend. As beautiful as they are, the blood in their veins burns like the fires of the Hells, and their gaze charms victims into listening to the seductive evils they speak. They are the often great tempters, dragging countless souls to misery eternal. The only point of hope is one from their parental legacy. Just as their parents fell from grace, the promise of grace restored is with the nephilim. They are not as tightly bound to evil as fallen or fiends, possessing the free will to absolve themselves of evil. Some have managed exactly that, recapturing the grace that their parent lost long ago.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Gwinnan's Travel Logs, Volume 1

Gwinnan is a traveling elf, taking in the sights of the planes by his magic and his wits. This book touches on the basics of the Astral Plane, details the party already knows. However, there is one tidbit in particular that is of unusual interest.

"Of the Githyanki tribes I met with, none were stranger than the Speakers of Void. Ascetics to the core, they spend great deals of time - as much as time matters on the Astral - in meditation. These strange figures claim to be able to sleep on the Astral, and moreover these sleeps lead to dreams of great potency. Expressing my disbelief at the shameless oneiromancy before me, the Speakers were all too willing to induce such a state in me. I found it worked with a disturbing efficiency, rendering me into unawareness. I cannot speak entirely to the truth or falseness of the Speakers based on this, but I do recall one thing with flawless clarity. A great red dragon soared through the Silver Sea, coming to alight on a volcano floating in the void. Around this vast volcano a city of splendor was built, wherein all the elements converged."

---

Parsali's Secrets to Transmutative Alchemy

This book is filled with the ramblings of an alchemist named Parsali. It seems he stumbled on a process to aid alchemical research and efficiency. While the basic discovery is of use, his extrapoliations from there seem to be little more than fanciful ramblings. He rants in at some length about finding the proper formulate to transmute iron or lead into gold. No final formula is presented within the book, despite much talk of it. The basic discovery is enough to reduce the cost of creating alchemical items by 2%, if a proper alchemist reads the book and integrates the discovery into his own work.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

This was an exercise I did, given we had already decided not to make any changes regarding this, as I wanted to show Dune how the different calculation method on gestalt would affect those values. Figured it might be useful reference for any future gestalt games, and used the Balmuria 3 characters as examples.

He said to post it in Random DM Nagging in case anybody else might find it curious/illuminating.

It may not be completely accurate everywhere, I may have missed something here and there, but overall should be a good representation. Can still be checked in excel spreadsheet if someone was curious enough to check it all. Otherwise, summary follows:

In addition to above, four characters (Muirfinn, Jaela, Afina, and Sylvie) all lose one attack on full-attack, as their BAB would all drop from +16 to +12 (Afina's drops only to +13).
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

We already passed on it a while ago. This was purely a curiosity/exercise thing. =p

Anastasia

Yes.

I think monsters would benefit from this, especially outsiders. Outsider HD gets full BAB and all good saves, so they're already set on those things. The rest is just pure gravy. It hurts PCs more than I anticipated, and is a fair reason not to use it since I'd have to rejigger a lot more balance to compensate.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2012, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 23, 2012, 01:42:40 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 23, 2012, 01:28:25 AM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 22, 2012, 09:06:10 PM
[18:57] <Muirfinn> Ko, is there some sort of artifact I can attach to my elemental that would allow me to summon it across planes?
[18:57] <Muirfinn> Or at least across the same plane?

I don't see one offhand. If you wanna dig for such, by all means. Assuming you don't find one, I'd just price it as a teleport magic item? That's in the 90k region, around 40k after Afina.  If you can find something cheaper that does it that's printed, by all means. I can't offhand, but I'm also buried in work. If you want a custom one like that, let me know and I'll write it out.

I'll take it! A specialized plane shift/teleport without error item? Feel free to work it up at your leisure. It'll probably be prohibitively expensive.

Regarding this, I came across the Familiar's Belt in Complete Mage. Cost is 6000g and it pulls the familiar from wherever it is on the plane and teleports it into a pouch on the belt. I want something similar, with Plane Shift and not into a bag (which would be very very unfortunate).
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2012, 04:30:47 PM
Oh! You know what would be GREAT? A wand/rod/staff of a spell, like a Summon Animal Companion spell! Or familiar. Or whatever.
Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2012, 04:45:23 PM
Why not just give your pokemon a 1/day item of greater plane shift and Permanency an interplanar telepathic bond between you two?
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2012, 05:15:28 PM
Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2012, 04:45:23 PM
Why not just give your pokemon a 1/day item of greater plane shift and Permanency an interplanar telepathic bond between you two?

I shall name him Waterelementalchu.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Collar of Animal Summoning

This collar allows an animal companion to immediately appear at its master's side immediately, as if by a greater plane shift spell. Using this collar is a standard action. A Collar of Animal Summoning functions once per day.

Strong conjuration(teleportation); CL 13; Craft Wondrous Item, greater plane shift, 36400 gold.

A permanent interplanar telepathic bond would cost 6,000 gold. You also need to have 18 hit dice to fully bear this. This would be -1 con to Muirfinn until he reaches level 18, at which point the penalty would vanish. It would be -2 for your animal companion until he gains more hit dice. It's much cheaper than an item that accomplishes the same. An item to do so would be considerably more expensive. A regular telepathic bond would inflict no  con loss but only work on the same plane. Could do that as a stop gap measure, though you'd be wasting the 5,000 gold for the regular bond in the long run.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Added autobattle settings to Baleruk or so on.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

New avatar to reflect that this topic has waaaay too many posts.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

So we won't be seeing Yulia posting around SR anymore? =p

Yulia

Anastasia

We are many. We are unstoppable. You will...LISTEN.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc