News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I'll check that after session, Cor.

I'm going to be looking at something for an ACF for Factotum 16 for Sylvie, put it off too long. Any suggestions?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Random thought for that 16th level ACF:
Improved Arcane Dilettante (Sp)
Spoiler: ShowHide
At 16th level, while preparing your spells for Arcane Dilettante, you may sacrifice any number of your available mimicked spells to instead mimic any number of metamagic feats you qualify for. You may use mimicked feats to qualify and mimic other metamagic feats you wish to have access for the day.

The number of spells sacrificed to mimic a metamagic feat is equal to the number of levels a spell is normally increased by when using that feat, minimum one. As an example, if you mimic quicken spell, you would need to sacrifice four spell preparations from Arcane Dilettante, while if you mimic silent spell, you would only need to sacrifice one spell preparation, and if you mimic both, you would need to sacrifice five spells.

When mimicking a spell through Arcane Dilettante, instead of spending 1 inspiration point to cast it as a spell-like ability, you may instead spend 3 inspiration to improve the spell-like ability, casting it as if it had been enhanced by one of your mimicked metamagic feats. You may only use one mimicked metamagic feat to improve the spell-like ability, even if you selected more than one metamagic feats that day.

You may not use a mimicked metamagic feat to improve any spells or spell-like abilities you have access to from other sources, nor may you use any actual metamagic feat you have to improve a mimicked spell through the use of this ability.

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

I'm thinking about ganking the crafting epic feats as written and taking one of two tacks.

1. One epic feat to rule them all.

Epic Crafting [Epic]
Prerequisite: Any two item creation feats.
Benefit: You can create items that exceed 200,000 gold or items that exceed the normal limits for non-epic equipment. You must still have the normal, non epic feat to create an item in the first place, such as Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Ring and so on.

Not sure how this interacts with Craft Golem.

2. Revising it in some other way.

Epic crafting isn't a matter of a feat, but finding some way to exceed normal limits. A special forge, training, something else. The benefit is that you don't pay yet more feats to craft, as the non-epic craft feats are already numerous. The downside is that you can't be assured of getting it at level 21 and that it'll be a hell of a lot more complicated and questy. There's enough of a feat tax for crafting that I'm sympathetic to not requiring yet more feats for it.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

The first one's simple enough and has no real bearing on craft golems - the epic golems only require the craft epic weapons feat since there is no epic golem feat.

The second one's cool, too, though. I'm already down two feats (soon to be three) and max ranks on two crafting skills, so at least having freedom to pick epic feats without worrying about further feat taxing is nice.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on March 04, 2012, 07:12:08 PM
Random thought for that 16th level ACF:
Improved Arcane Dilettante (Sp)
Spoiler: ShowHide
At 16th level, while preparing your spells for Arcane Dilettante, you may sacrifice any number of your available mimicked spells to instead mimic any number of metamagic feats you qualify for. You may use mimicked feats to qualify and mimic other metamagic feats you wish to have access for the day.

The number of spells sacrificed to mimic a metamagic feat is equal to the number of levels a spell is normally increased by when using that feat, minimum one. As an example, if you mimic quicken spell, you would need to sacrifice four spell preparations from Arcane Dilettante, while if you mimic silent spell, you would only need to sacrifice one spell preparation, and if you mimic both, you would need to sacrifice five spells.

When mimicking a spell through Arcane Dilettante, instead of spending 1 inspiration point to cast it as a spell-like ability, you may instead spend 3 inspiration to improve the spell-like ability, casting it as if it had been enhanced by one of your mimicked metamagic feats. You may only use one mimicked metamagic feat to improve the spell-like ability, even if you selected more than one metamagic feats that day.

You may not use a mimicked metamagic feat to improve any spells or spell-like abilities you have access to from other sources, nor may you use any actual metamagic feat you have to improve a mimicked spell through the use of this ability.

I'm really hesitant to make Sylvie's casting any more complicated than it is. I actually think it is underpowered - sacrificing your highly limited slots for a Factotum isn't usually a winning trade. It's arguable in any case, but eh.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on March 04, 2012, 07:24:18 PM
The first one's simple enough and has no real bearing on craft golems - the epic golems only require the craft epic weapons feat since there is no epic golem feat.

The second one's cool, too, though. I'm already down two feats (soon to be three) and max ranks on two crafting skills, so at least having freedom to pick epic feats without worrying about further feat taxing is nice.

I should really look at the epic golem rules.

Anyway, if you have a preference speak up.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 04, 2012, 12:55:25 PM
Complete Champion p47-48 has a Cleric ACF that's called Pool of Healing. Can I take it once I'm safely back at the Aurora? A lvl4 Favored Soul slot is worth being able to heal people better.

Eh sure.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

If there's a 200k gold limit on items (I was not aware of this, and can't really find this anywhere in core books/srd/house rules, just the fact that highest available non-epic item costs such), would this mean artifacts cannot be improved by the +1.5x cost modifier? I had hoped to at some point add the effect of Bracers of Opportunity to the Unseen Enemy bracers.

Ebiris

Quote from: Anastasia on March 04, 2012, 07:27:54 PM

Lets just go for the blanket epic crafting feat. It feels less cheap.

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on March 04, 2012, 07:24:55 PM
I'm really hesitant to make Sylvie's casting any more complicated than it is. I actually think it is underpowered - sacrificing your highly limited slots for a Factotum isn't usually a winning trade. It's arguable in any case, but eh.

Yes, the limited slots sacrificing was the main balancing point, but adds some flexibility. I figured it would be used to just mimic one +1lv metamagic usually, with the occassional quicken maybe. I figured it was close enough to balanced, but I do agree it's going to make her casting more complicated.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on March 04, 2012, 07:30:06 PM
If there's a 200k gold limit on items (I was not aware of this, and can't really find this anywhere in core books/srd/house rules, just the fact that highest available non-epic item costs such), would this mean artifacts cannot be improved by the +1.5x cost modifier? I had hoped to at some point add the effect of Bracers of Opportunity to the Unseen Enemy bracers.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm

The regular rules don't directly touch on it since they weren't built with epic in mind. It's elaborated on in the epic rules. I'll add that to the epic rules at some point, as well as my own revision. I cap skill boosters at +15 pre-epic, for example. Most of what's there holds true, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on March 04, 2012, 07:32:12 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 04, 2012, 07:27:54 PM

Lets just go for the blanket epic crafting feat. It feels less cheap.

Okay, I'll add that to house rules tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on March 04, 2012, 07:33:22 PMThe regular rules don't directly touch on it since they weren't built with epic in mind. It's elaborated on in the epic rules. I'll add that to the epic rules at some point, as well as my own revision. I cap skill boosters at +15 pre-epic, for example. Most of what's there holds true, though.

I see.

Regarding adding stuff to artifact bracers or cloak, since they are priceless, can they or not have effects added to them? As I mentioned, I'd hoped to add the effect of Bracers of Opportunity at some point. If it's not possible, could I get that sort of effect in another slot, such as hands?

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on March 04, 2012, 07:37:45 PMI see.

Regarding adding stuff to artifact bracers or cloak, since they are priceless, can they or not have effects added to them? As I mentioned, I'd hoped to add the effect of Bracers of Opportunity at some point. If it's not possible, could I get that sort of effect in another slot, such as hands?

Let me get back to you on that, in any case.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Alrighty. I'll bug you again in a week if I haven't heard~

Other ACF options:
-Let her add Int to her Con/Wis/Cha skills, not just Str/Dex?
-Spend inspiration to naturally let her take 13 (taking 10 is boring!) on a skill roll, regardless of situation? (And she'd still be able to boost it through cunning knowledge as well)
-Since factotum learn a little bit of everything and have arcane/divine-flavored abilities, something that grants psionic/incarnum-flavored abilities?