News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[22:22] <Jaela> roll 1d20+20+4+15 (GH, DI) planes to tell how to get to the Silent Order of Eternal Tranquility
[22:22] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+20+4+15 (GH, DI) planes to tell how to get to the Silent Order of Eternal Tranquility and gets 44." [1d20=5]
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Yuthirin

Quote from: Corwin on March 08, 2012, 04:16:43 PM
Let's go fight Comolinahalas once we establish the dimensional lock and assign combat roles/chain of command on the Aurora while it's on Ysgard. Just the PCs and Baleruk.

I like this idea. It smells like money.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Cool. Let's send Tannin to find out more, with the stipulation that he has to come back within a week's time. That's what the upgrades will take us, anyway.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 08, 2012, 04:22:26 PM
[22:22] <Jaela> roll 1d20+20+4+15 (GH, DI) planes to tell how to get to the Silent Order of Eternal Tranquility
[22:22] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+20+4+15 (GH, DI) planes to tell how to get to the Silent Order of Eternal Tranquility and gets 44." [1d20=5]

One must travel to Thalasia, the 3rd and final layer of Elysium. You must travel far on the horizon, holding nothing but thoughts of the Triune Goddess in your mind. Should you be worthy, you will find the path to it at sunrise.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Can greatswords be reforged into longspears?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 08, 2012, 06:09:36 PM
Can greatswords be reforged into longspears?

No. Too many differences to consider.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Can Mantle of Good (SC p137-138) be Permanency'd?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 08, 2012, 09:49:56 PM
Can Mantle of Good (SC p137-138) be Permanency'd?

No points in its favor, it doesn't hit any of those categories. It doesn't really hit any of the negative, either. So eh. It's purely a judgment call, though it is a personal/you spell. Spell resistance is common in the Planes, so it's not like that boat hasn't sailed already. Yeah, that's fine.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Divination really peters off in later levels. I noticed that when I was statting out Vul'lath, must make a mental note to make some more divinations.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Added the following old spells from Balmuria 1 to custom spells.

1st level

Sandalphon's Unerring Projectile (Revisions/cleanup)

2nd level

Helical Mirage
Heroic Aspirations

3rd level

Grace of the Courre
Umut's Greater Magic Missile (With minor revisions)

4th level

Wall of Boiling Water (Water descriptor added)

8th level

Divert Teleport (Nearly identical to the psionic version)

Spells not ported over aren't needed for this particular game or too niche. In the event you feel one of the might be relevant to you and you're familiar with them, drop a note in nagging about it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

As you all know, Wish and Miracle are about to become realistic options for at least two of you, Afina and Jaela. Further, a few people you have already have access to these mighty spells, and Limited Wish has been around for awhile. What you may not know is that I houseruled Wish and Miracle back in Balmuria 1 and we've been mentally following that. However, I don't think Merc or Yuth were ever informed! Since neither of them are playing Wish/Miracle capable characters, this was an easy mistake to make. So I'm going to elaborate on these here and then add them to house rules when I revamp the magic section. It's still in progress.

Wish and Miracle don't work as written without XP costs to balance them out. So they're a little more limited than the SRD standard ones. These spells enact a toll on the caster that tempers the mighty power they offer. A Limited Wish, Wish or Miracle can do amazing things and have an incredible depth of magic available to them to copy, but they aren't omnipotent.

Note that for the sake of deities, wish imposes none of the penalties or limitations noted in the spell. Deities can use wishes or limited wishes at will, remember. It's the mechanism they use to affect their portfolio. Shouldn't matter to you guys, but heads up.

Limited Wish
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: See text
Target, Effect, or Area: See text
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

A limited wish lets you create nearly any type of effect. For example, a limited wish can do any of the following things.

* Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
* Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
* Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 5th level or lower, even if it's of a prohibited school.
* Duplicate any other spell of 4th level or lower, even if it's of a prohibited school.
* Undo the harmful effects of many spells, such as geas/quest or insanity.
* Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw.

A duplicated spell allows saving throws and spell resistance as normal (but the save DC is for a 7th-level spell).

Casting Limited Wish is a great strain on both the Weave and your own body. For one hour after casting Limited Wish, you suffer a 50% chance of spell failure. This failure cannot be mitigated by any normal circumstances, including another person casting Wish. Should you manage to cast Limited Wish again within the hour, the time resets to one hour, you become fatigued and the chance of spell failure rises to 60%.  A third casting makes you exhausted and raises the failure to 80%. If a fourth Limited Wish is managed, you must make a fortitude save (DC equal to the DC of a seventh level spell you cast.) or collapse into a coma for 1d8 days. Regardless of success or failure on this fortitude save, doing so temporarily burns out your connection to the Weave. You are treated as being within a self contained antimagic field for 24 hours.

The fatigue, exhaustion and coma take effect even through immunity to such abilities, as they are caused by enforcing your will directly into the Weave. These effects cannot be undone by mortal magic, including casting other Wishes or Miracles. The strain must be allowed to heal in its own time.

Wish
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 full round action.
Range: See text
Target, Effect, or Area: See text
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Wish is the mightiest spell a wizard or sorcerer can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter reality to better suit you.

Even wish, however, has its limits.

A wish can produce any one of the following effects:

* Duplicate any wizard or sorcerer spell of 8th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
* Duplicate any other spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
* Duplicate any wizard or sorcerer spell of 7th level or lower even if it's of a prohibited school.
* Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower even if it's of a prohibited school.
* Undo the harmful effects of many other spells, such as geas/quest or insanity.
* Remove injuries and afflictions. A single wish can aid one creature per caster level, and all subjects are cured of the same kind of affliction. For example, you could heal all the damage you and your companions have taken, or remove all poison effects from everyone in the party, but not do both with the same wish.
* Transport travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies. Wards and barriers may be bypassed with an opposed caster level check, failure causes the wish to fizzle.

You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)

Duplicated spells allow saves and spell resistance as normal (but save DCs are for 9th-level spells).

Casting Wish is a great strain on both the Weave and your own body. The effects of Limited Wish apply to Wish, save that a fourth wish within penalty snuffs the caster's life out due to the strain on his body and soul.

Wish as a spell like ability

Wishes from extraplanar beings such as genies and pit fiends are not as limited as mortal wishes. These wishes draw on their patron to accomplish what they do. They are closer in effect to miracles and may be denied, though this is very rare. Assume that nonmagical or magical goods of up to 25,000 gold may be produced by these, the dead can be raised and statistics may be increased. Other effects may happen at the DM's discretion.

Generally, the most common reason for one of these wishes to fail is mortals attempting to abuse wishes, such as constantly summoning efreet or trying to wish for more wishes. In other words, don't try to abuse wishes. It's the number one way to have me smack you with my DMG.

Miracle is not rewritten, as the entire spell hinges on the deity's will. This is more than enough of a limiting factor, as deities do not grant miracles lightly.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Speaking of Miracle. I've always been under the impression that the effects divide into two sets. One where you replicate a valid lower level spell (as in the writeup for Miracle) or undo some curse that has Miracle as one of the spells that can remove it. And the other where you plead for an intervention by your patron to do something a spell doesn't cover.

Is that right? If so, is the first type actually limited by the deity? Do the Seldarine actually care if I use Miracle to cast Bite of the Werebear and will audit every casting to emulate a spell?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Corwin on March 09, 2012, 07:28:49 AM
Speaking of Miracle. I've always been under the impression that the effects divide into two sets. One where you replicate a valid lower level spell (as in the writeup for Miracle) or undo some curse that has Miracle as one of the spells that can remove it. And the other where you plead for an intervention by your patron to do something a spell doesn't cover.

Is that right? If so, is the first type actually limited by the deity? Do the Seldarine actually care if I use Miracle to cast Bite of the Werebear and will audit every casting to emulate a spell?

I've kind of always thought this way too, ...BUT WE'VE ALL SEEN HOW ACCURATE MY ATTEMPTS TO INTERPRET 3.5 RULES HAVE BEEN LATELY HURR HURR. But Corwin voiced it first, so I have backup!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Yuth: Could you compile everything about that PrC (Including my PM reply) and send it to me in one large PM? Thanks.
<Afina> Forever.