News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Regarding Morniel's proposal, I was fine with it when he mentioned it in-game. I was mostly curious as to who went where rank-wise, figured that was going to be part of the proposal and that's what I'd originally wanted to wait on for Afina/Jaela.

And regarding prep for dragon hunt, if we get stuff in scroll form, I can cast stuff again through UMD if we're worried about duration. Who are we taking btw? I recall mention of Baleruk coming, but dragons get bonuses to kill him, so...doesn't seem a great idea?

Edit: Actually, forgot he's immune to light/blindness, so he's probably still fine.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Corwin

I was the same way at first, but Baleruk is really, really hard to kill. Even with the penalties he's still awesome, and there are the dragon's flunkies, too. Also, I think he will be fine on Radiance, and we'll be there too. So yeah, us four + Baleruk.

Any thoughts on the actual scrolls? How many we should get, who will hold them, etc? It might mean losing a turn if we get in a fight, but the benefits are pretty great.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Merc

Well, apparently Muirfinn has UMD as well, so we can split scrolls between the two of us or I can carry them all since I have better mod. Either way works for me. Not really sure which spells we should take as scrolls or how many though.

I'd probably want to take at least one or two scrolls of the vision spell.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 10, 2012, 12:49:15 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 10, 2012, 09:42:22 AM
No one's said or done anything about that.

For clarity's sake, do you mean we didn't get any responses? Or that we need to do it IC despite wishing to just spread word off screen and seeing who bites?

That I never heard anything else directing it beyond a vague tell people. I was waiting on more information about it or someone to post something, but it never happened. This may have been crossed wires; if so, go ahead and elaborate on how you'll spread word and to whom.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

QuoteAura of Evasion should be pretty useful as well, since even you guys with evasion gain improved evasion vs dragon breath. Since the dragon has half-dragon minions, it might come even more handy. If we go for it, do we bring one scroll of it? Two?

This is incorrect. From the Spell Compendium re: evasion and Aura of Evasion:

QuoteCreatures within the spell's area that already have evasion or improved evasion get a +4 bonus on Reflex saving throws against breath weapons.

Fair warning.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 10, 2012, 03:27:24 PM
Since I interpret morale as how much someone wants to be here, I would like to look into why elemental/courre/elven/gith morale is so low, and how it could be raised. If you have a convenient way to fit that into our schedule some time, Dune, I'd appreciate it.

Okay, noted.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 10, 2012, 07:03:14 PM
That I never heard anything else directing it beyond a vague tell people. I was waiting on more information about it or someone to post something, but it never happened. This may have been crossed wires; if so, go ahead and elaborate on how you'll spread word and to whom.

Named NPCs will be told that there is an ancient dwarf who is looking for an apprentice. It involves the making of golems, and the transformation of one's body into a golem. The price of that stronger body seems to be a loss of ingenuity, personal charm and spellcasting ability, and is not something to be taken lightly.

If no one is interested (I don't really expect people to, it doesn't feel like we have the right makeup for that), then we'll just announce it to the troops and see if anyone is interested. Let's say each of us approaches someone we know by name (Barth for me, Mirr for Ithea, Skye for Afina?) and spreads the word that way. We'll eventually make sure to have a bulletin board for the Aurora or something.

Ideally, someone manly will step up from the rank and file troops and joins our npc list.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on March 10, 2012, 12:34:07 AM
Army Reorganization and Command Structure Act.

Morniel proposes three changes to command and organization. The first is adopting an official means of organizing the army by the following structure:

10 soldiers = 1 unit
10 units = 1 company (100 soldiers)
10 companies = 1 division (1,000 soldiers)
10 divisions = 1 army (10,000 soldiers)

This provides an easy to customize and flexible unit structure. You can mix and match at whatever level of precision you desire and can have your troops set up to taste. It also allows combining units that complement each other well and segregating less compatible units. Further, specialized units can be made as well.

Okay, if this is going through, do you guys have any interest in organizing forces yourself on any level?

QuoteSecond of all, Morniel proposes that you adopt an official rank system. It has the traditional tiers of officer and enlisted, with enlisted having 7 ranks and officers 4. These numbers can be tweaked as you desire; Morniel recommends a lot of lower ranks to give the common soldier something extra to strive for in promotions.  For officer ranks, Morniel's opinion is that you should create as many as you need. The exact structure Morniel suggests is below.

There are seven non-commissioned ranks. Private, master private, corporal, lance corporal, sergeant, master sergeant and command sergeant. The differences between these aren't directly relevant to the party, so I'll just summarize. Private to corporal are the common grunts of varying use. Lance corporal and above have various leadership responsibilities on the unit and company scale. They often assist the commanding officer and direct the soldiers.

There are three commissioned ranks. Major, Colonel, Generals. Majors are powerful warriors who are not directly involved in leadership or command. Colonels, who handle some command and leadership, but are not involved in the highest ranks. Generals, who hold the highest power in Aurora. These ranks can be more customized and expanded - Morniel suggests this, as he's presenting a compacted version and leading your ultimate command structure decisions to you. Once you have your officer ranks selected, Morniel would be willing to recommend ranks if you desire.

This covers most, barring those that have just arrived. This is by no means ironclad; feel free to posit modifications or adjustments.

Majors: Annalise, Misalea*, Dana, Tannin, Arrel, The Jarl, Lief, The Master, Baleruk, Sylvie, Canderella, Sage Vul'lath.
Colonels: Elder Magi Tepen, Crystal, Drena, Kascha, Hanna, Morniel**, Mirima.
Generals: Afina, Jaela, Ithea, Adrian.

*Assuming Mirima takes over the Graceful Blow from her.
**Morniel doesn't feel it entirely proper to rank himself, but he's doing it since a full ranking was requested.

Special: 27 (Not sure if a ranking is desired or appropriate), Queen Ilsenine (Aforementioned political reasons make ranking discouraged).

Note: I'm avoiding Muirfinn for the moment. OOC reasons of Muirfinn being a PC clash with the fact that he's really new. Guys, this one is up to you guys on how you all want to rank Muirfinn. You guys should figure this one out OOC and IC. I don't want a situation where this ends up excluding one player due to having to !rollchar; past that I'll leave it up to you guys to hash out.

QuoteThird of all, Morniel recommends the creation of various awards for the army. As a cynical man once said, a soldier will risk life and limb for pretty bits of ribbon and the acclaim of his fellow man. The exacts of this are left to you, but he suggests it. Internal awards can raise morale and give the soldiers a greater sense of striving and belonging. Further, he recommends awards to be given to non-Aurora members for great service or diplomacy. These are purely a diplomatic caveat, something to curry favor when needed.

Morniel recommends a motif based around auroras and light, based on the name of Aurora. Simple enough, right. Suggested medals and awards:

Medal of the Final Light: Medal bestowed on those who fall in the service of Aurora committing acts of valor. (Standard died in service award)
Medal of the Eternal Light: Medal bestowed on those who fall in the service of Aurora committing acts of the highest heroism and valor. (Honored death in service - to recognize the ultimate sacrifices of particular poignancy or selflessness for the Crusade.)

Order of the Northern Lights - Exceptional Valor in the service of Aurora. (Bravery, heroism, that manner of thing.)
Order of the Western Lights - Exceptional Leadership in the service of Aurora. (Command, leadership and so forth.)
Order of the Eastern Lights - Exceptional Recruiting in the service of Aurora. (Gathering allies and diplomacy.)
Order of the Southern Lights - Exceptional Might in the service of Aurora. (Defeating powerful foes - the exact grade of this can be adjusted to taste or be case by case.)

Honorable Order of the Light - For those not affliated with Aurora who deserve recognition. Largely a political and diplomatic tool.
Honorable Knights of Aurora - As above, but more prestigious. It's what you give rarely and to great effect.

Campaign badges should have a set system and be reasonably clear and concise. Beyond that, things like campaign badge: earthfall is generally sufficient.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 10, 2012, 07:25:16 PMNamed NPCs will be told that there is an ancient dwarf who is looking for an apprentice. It involves the making of golems, and the transformation of one's body into a golem. The price of that stronger body seems to be a loss of ingenuity, personal charm and spellcasting ability, and is not something to be taken lightly.

If no one is interested (I don't really expect people to, it doesn't feel like we have the right makeup for that), then we'll just announce it to the troops and see if anyone is interested. Let's say each of us approaches someone we know by name (Barth for me, Mirr for Ithea, Skye for Afina?) and spreads the word that way. We'll eventually make sure to have a bulletin board for the Aurora or something.

Ideally, someone manly will step up from the rank and file troops and joins our npc list.

Aside, some sort of Aurora bulletin board could be nice if you guys want to go to the effort.

Dana's sort of interested, maybe. Hell, I think she is. Past that Mirr may very well bite if you're interested in telling him.

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

We don't have a bulletin board? How did we miss this?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Too busy daydreaming about Annalise, Jaela and game of hide the longsword?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Some of her Knight stuff and the psionics will be hit. In any case, I think it'd be more fun to add more people to the Tablet of Destiny? Presumably Dana wants to reproduce after killing her old man and taking over as queen (scary prospect, yes).

Anastasia

Her psionics run off wisdom, so the loss there is non-existent. Her knight stuff does use charisma so there would be a hit there.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Queen Ilsenine and Morniel are there in advisory capacity, in a sense. They're pretty much civilians and shouldn't hold army rank, from how I see it.

For Muirfinn, let's just make him a colonel for being from Lifasa?

Corwin

Do the people in leadership positions actually want to be in leadership positions? And is there anyone not in leadership position who really wants to be?