News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

No, the following text in the description of reserve feats specifically calls it a supernatural ability.

QuoteEach reserve feat's primary benefit is a supernatural ability usable at will.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Okay, let's talk army structure again.

QuoteThe army is structured as follows.

10 soldiers = 1 unit
10 units = 1 company (100 soldiers)
10 companies = 1 division (1,000 soldiers)
10 divisions = 1 army (10,000 soldiers)

This provides an easy to customize and flexible unit structure. You can mix and match at whatever level of precision you desire and can have your troops set up to taste. It also allows combining units that complement each other well and segregating less compatible units. Further, specialized units can be made as well.

This set up gives you the option to design units, companies and divisions as you please. Are you guys interested into getting into this nitty-gritty at all? It'll let you customize things better for army battled, but it does take some effort. It also lets you play with composition and expose different units, which can have impacts in both combat performance and morale, temporary and otherwise.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I've been tooling around with a default defence setup for attacks on Aurora that would involve various unit structures. A lot harder to work with for offensive operations except for making preset units that can function in multiple situations and then calling on those units when preparing for battle. Could still be done, though, and I can have a crack at it.

Ebiris

Also I suggest making Gisfal a general. The guy knows war inside out, and he's given us a massive troop commitment. May as well put his talents to best use in helping guide our overall strategy. What do the other generals think?

Yuthirin

While not a general, I agree with this idea.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Quote from: Ebiris on March 25, 2012, 09:03:46 AM
I've been tooling around with a default defence setup for attacks on Aurora that would involve various unit structures.

Do you have an example?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

As for the rest of it....

I think we have enough troops right now to make several mini-armies of several companies, and will soon have a division each to play with. It might be fun to devise defense/offense setups for them and either divide responsibility for guarding parts of the Aurora or rotate them in shifts. It would probably feel more fun that way.

Gisfal-wise, I don't have any objections. It's a pretty good idea, Eb. We might not know him enough yet, but we're the ones who asked him to come so it wouldn't make much sense to play coy right now. Plus, epic marshall. Sure, let's go for it.

Anastasia

Adding Gisfal as a general now, unless Merc comes by with some impressive counter-argument.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Quote from: Corwin on March 25, 2012, 11:53:47 AM
Quote from: Ebiris on March 25, 2012, 09:03:46 AM
I've been tooling around with a default defence setup for attacks on Aurora that would involve various unit structures.

Do you have an example?

It's all in my head, but basically stuff like putting fast fliers on the roof as rapid responders, earth elementals underground in various spots to ambush, big hitters with lots of attacks by chokepoints. But yeah, I figure if we make several preset armies out of what we have we can divide our forces up more neatly when battle comes.

Anastasia

Query. This is more for Cor/Eb since the dicebot situation has been stable for a goodly while, but how many dicebots have we had over the span of Balmuria? Am I missing any?

Hatbot, Kobot, Reikobot, Rei-chan, Serith, Penuche. Any others I'm forgetting?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Hatebot is the one true bot (can't think of any others, yeah).

Corwin

If we do divide into rotating armies eventually, I'd like to aim for Vampy and Hanna for mine as far as officer selection goes, along with Candy, Vul'lath and Ebony from the lower tier. We should have enough officers to man four of our original would-be armies, and I presume Gisfal came with his own staff? If not, that's easily adjustable too.

Speaking of Yuth for a sec, he could easily team up with Adrian for his army given how passive Adrian is?

Ebiris

Any particular reason you're set on those? I wasn't really thinking of PCs claiming 'personal' armies so much as setting up groups that work well for certain tasks with an NPC CO that could be put under any PC or work independently depending on what force composition a battle needs. Probably 4-5 with our current numbers. I may as well work on that tonight so there's something people can comment on.

Ebiris

So as promised I've thrown together a tentative idea for four armies that could be integrated together for easier training and deployment. The names obviously need better more flavourful replacements like Devil Dogs or Spetznaz or whatever like in real life, but should give an idea as to the basic intent behind each army.

1st Aurora Army Heavy Force

5 Companies Ysgardian Regulars
1/2 Unit Cloud Giants
1 Unit Earth Elementals (Honor Guard)
2 Units Conflagration Ooze
4 Units Tortles
6 Units Catfolk Warriors
3 Units Elven Warriors

2nd Aurora Army Mobile Force

1 Company Ysgardian Warriors
1 Company Catfolk Warriors
1 Company Graceful Blow students
1 Company Elven Warriors
6 Units Dire Wolves
5 Units Water Elementals
5 Units Air Elementals (Cauldron)
5 Units Earth Elementals (Cauldron)

3rd Aurora Army Air Force

2 Companies Air Elementals (Chan)
4 Units Pixies
7 Units Courre

4th Aurora Army Artillery Force

1 Company Elven Warriors
1 Unit Githyanki Acolytes
3 Units Graceful Blow Students
7 Units Firre
5 Units Fire Elementals
3 Units Lifasa Refugees

As far as COs to handle day to day running of each army, I'd suggest the following: Hanna for the heavy army, Mirima for the mobile army, Crystal for the air army, and Tepen for the artillery army. We could assign every major NPC to an army to further foster esprit des corps or however that goes, but I'd like to throw it open for discussion before that.

Reserves
Spoiler: ShowHide

5 female students of the Graceful Blow. They range from 4 to 10 hd, having levels in sorcerer, fighter and swashbuckler. Alignment: Chaotic Good, Neutral Good, Neutral and Chaotic Neutral. Morale: 97/100 (Fanatic)
1 refugee-warriors from Lifasa. They range from 3 to 7 hd, having levels in many various classes. Alignment: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Neutral, Neutral, Chaotic Neutral. Morale: 100/100 (Devoted)
5 air elementals of small, medium and large size. They range from 3 to 10 hd, having levels in fighter and aerial avenger. Alignment: Neutral. Morale: 69/100 (Good)
6 dire wolves. They range from 6 to 8 hit dice, having no gestalt as animals. Alignment: Neutral. Morale: 59/100 (Fair)
7 courre scouts. They range from 3 to 5 hd, having levels in rogue and scout. Alignment: Chaotic Good. Morale: 65/100 (Fair)
1 elven warriors. They range from 4 to 8 hd, having levels in various classes. Alignment: Chaotic Good. Morale: 60/100 (Fair)
7 firre warrior/clerics. They range from 8 to 12 hd, having levels in cleric, paladin of freedom, barbarian and champion of Gwynharwyf. Alignment: Chaotic Good. Morale: 60/100 (Fair)
3 catfolk warriors of medium size. They range from 3 to 8 hd, having levels in many various classes. Alignment: Neutral, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral. Morale: 70/100 (Good)
5 conflagration oozes of large size. They range from 7 to 7 hd, having levels in fighter. Alignment: Neutral. Morale: 51/100 (Fair)
3 tortles of medium size. They range from 3 to 7 hd, having levels in many various classes. Alignment: Neutral, Neutral Good. Morale: 65/100 (Fair)

Corwin

Quote from: Ebiris on March 27, 2012, 05:12:21 PM
Any particular reason you're set on those? I wasn't really thinking of PCs claiming 'personal' armies so much as setting up groups that work well for certain tasks with an NPC CO that could be put under any PC or work independently depending on what force composition a battle needs. Probably 4-5 with our current numbers. I may as well work on that tonight so there's something people can comment on.

Yes. The reason I went for those people is that I like them and have a personal connection to them. I also think it could work, although it's always possible to rework things.

The reason I'm thinking in terms of personally-lead armies is that I want to have an effect of some sort. We're ostensibly generals but we don't actually do any general stuff so far, not really. And my problem with following your suggestion is that rather playing a general I'm just rubber-stamping something someone else did without actually contributing much. I also think we all have slightly different goals, and rather than argue over them I figure we could all pursue them with our troops? I tend to prioritize safety for the troops above all, I think you focus more on a speedy and decisive victory, and if we all have our armies to deal with we can all have what we prefer.