News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay, Cor pointed out that RAW a Wilding Clasp and a weapon may not work together. I checked both Shapeshift and Wilding Clasps, and the following sections are relevant.

Shapeshift

QuoteAll your held, carried, or worn gear melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional until you return to your normal form. You cannot speak in shapeshifted form, and your limbs lack the precision required to wield a weapon or perform tasks requiring fine manipulation. You can't cast spells or activate magic items while in shapeshifted form, even if you have the Natural Spell feat or other ability that would allow you to cast spells while wild shaped.

Wilding Clasps

QuoteA wilding clasp can be attached to any item worn on the body.

Emphasis mine. The first point is on target - it doesn't really matter if he keeps a weapon around shapeshifted unless it has latent abilities by being held or nearby. That said, while a strict RAW reading says a Wilding Clasp wouldn't work on a weapon, I have no problem with one doing so. I mean, it's a simple matter to drop your weapon a moment so it doesn't melt, or something else to sidestep that. I don't see it as any problem, so I'd allow it. However, considering the above, this may scotch the entire point of it. If so, you're welcome to un-buy that Clasp and use the money on something else, Yuth.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Todo today.

1. Yuth PrC.
2. Log fragments to Cor.
3. Finalize army information above, barring more debate or alterations.
4. Worldmeet Glade info check and ruling for Yuth.
5. Ebony post + Sylica forces added to army.
6. Check wilding clasp+weapon, was discussion in chat that one doesn't work with a weapon. Will look into it.
7. Post unmatter info Yuth and company turned up.
8. Post information from the books the Guardian gave you.
9. Post Kascha's completed question and answer session with the Guardian.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 02, 2012, 03:44:24 PM
Okay, Cor pointed out that RAW a Wilding Clasp and a weapon may not work together. I checked both Shapeshift and Wilding Clasps, and the following sections are relevant.

Shapeshift

QuoteAll your held, carried, or worn gear melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional until you return to your normal form. You cannot speak in shapeshifted form, and your limbs lack the precision required to wield a weapon or perform tasks requiring fine manipulation. You can't cast spells or activate magic items while in shapeshifted form, even if you have the Natural Spell feat or other ability that would allow you to cast spells while wild shaped.

Wilding Clasps

QuoteA wilding clasp can be attached to any item worn on the body.

Emphasis mine. The first point is on target - it doesn't really matter if he keeps a weapon around shapeshifted unless it has latent abilities by being held or nearby. That said, while a strict RAW reading says a Wilding Clasp wouldn't work on a weapon, I have no problem with one doing so. I mean, it's a simple matter to drop your weapon a moment so it doesn't melt, or something else to sidestep that. I don't see it as any problem, so I'd allow it. However, considering the above, this may scotch the entire point of it. If so, you're welcome to un-buy that Clasp and use the money on something else, Yuth.

The entire point of it all was just to net myself the +5 init bonus from the staff while in shapeshift form. I'm...not sure if you're saying that would work or not.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

QuoteA warning weapon grants you a +5 insight bonus on initiative checks as long as it is held.

By the logic I'm using here, it would work for that at least. It's a latent ability that works by being held. As long as the form you shift into has the ability to hold the staff in some manner, I'd allow it. Obviously, holding it in you mouth in wolf form would disable a bite attack, for example. Bear this in mind. Further, if the form has no logical way to hold the staff, it would simply fall to the ground.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Blerg. I'll replace it. o-o

I'd actually prefer to do away with it altogether. I'm considering the idea of turning it into a slotless iten like a belt clasp or an earring. Assuming I did this, I would take the total cost of the item (+1 bonus and all) and multiply it by 2.5, yes?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

There's no rules for pricing or creating magical locations save by DM fiat. (If there are and I've missed them, point it out since I'd like to see how the designers did it.) I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so lemme outline where I'm coming from here. Pricing these like a magical item is difficult but not impossible. There are limits to how often a location can be used at any one time, and once used and gone it can't be regained by that particular caster.

QuoteUnless otherwise specified, no creature can gain the benefit of a magical location's conferred power more than once. Even if the power has limited uses or a fixed duration, a character cannot regain it by returning to the magical location after it expires. Furthermore, once a location has conferred its ability on a character, it must recharge its power for a specified period of time (1 day to one year, depending on the location) before it can do so again.

On top of pricing that, the location may have related effects as well that need to be factored in. So I'm going to be pricing these by fiat for the moment and adding them as possible Aurora upgrades.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 02, 2012, 03:56:44 PM
Blerg. I'll replace it. o-o

I'd actually prefer to do away with it altogether. I'm considering the idea of turning it into a slotless iten like a belt clasp or an earring. Assuming I did this, I would take the total cost of the item (+1 bonus and all) and multiply it by 2.5, yes?

You can't RAW replace magical weapon/armor properties onto non weapon/armor items. I uphold this one, since it's difficult to convert them due to the way magic weapons/armor scale in pricing depending on how much enchantment is already on there. If you're looking to improve your init, I'd make the following suggestions:

- Wand of Sign (SpC). Requires some shenanigans for you to use since I don't think it's on your spell lists, and also requires knowing when you're getting into battle.

- Bracers of Blinding Strike (MIC) Constant.

- Pale Green Ioun Stone (SRD) +1 bonus to ability checks, which includes dex checks and thus initiative.

- Possibly a custom item, though there's no useful guidelines in creating or pricing +init items.

Alternately you can look into class level investments to boost init.

- Factotum 3 adds your int mod as a bonus to initiative (among other things).

- Dread Commando grants an init bonus equal to your Dread Commando class level, as well as everyone within 30ft. Lief is taking this class, so you could always just keep him around for the boost.

- Marshal 1 grants you a minor aura, including motivate dexterity. This essentially allows you to add your cha modifier to init checks for yourself and allies. This is by far the highest preforming init boosting dip in the game, to the point where it really rather resembles a big block of Limburger.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 02, 2012, 04:24:22 PM
There's no rules for pricing or creating magical locations save by DM fiat. (If there are and I've missed them, point it out since I'd like to see how the designers did it.) I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so lemme outline where I'm coming from here. Pricing these like a magical item is difficult but not impossible. There are limits to how often a location can be used at any one time, and once used and gone it can't be regained by that particular caster.

QuoteUnless otherwise specified, no creature can gain the benefit of a magical location's conferred power more than once. Even if the power has limited uses or a fixed duration, a character cannot regain it by returning to the magical location after it expires. Furthermore, once a location has conferred its ability on a character, it must recharge its power for a specified period of time (1 day to one year, depending on the location) before it can do so again.

On top of pricing that, the location may have related effects as well that need to be factored in. So I'm going to be pricing these by fiat for the moment and adding them as possible Aurora upgrades.

Sounds good. Even if I can only gain the ability for a year, it's still highly useful. How much time has passed in-game since this whole thing started? I'm guessing it's not too long. We're speedy movers.

Anastasia

Not much. A post about Aurora upgrades is halfway done.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

QuoteImprove cafeteria(Just like the real thing! Keeps everyone happier): 35,000 gold; 2 DC 25 spellcraft checks; 1 DC 25 K:N check; 4 days.
Sylvie. K:N +36, Spellcraft +31 normally; K:N +51 with the K:N booster, Spellcraft +34 with the floating feat.

Okay. There's been enough time passed for this. Someone roll this out and post the results in loot? Sylvie had enough down time to get it done.

QuoteAquarium (For the tortles and other aquatic or amphibious races): 5,000 gold; 2 DC 25 K:A&E checks; 4 days.
Tepen. K:A&E +33 normally; K:A&E +48 with the K:A&E booster.

Speed up portal enlargement to 1 full round action: 50,000 gold; 1 DC 23 spellcraft check; 3 DC 40 K:A checks; 5 days.
Kascha. K:A +42, Spellcraft +39 normally; K:A +57, Spellcraft +54 with the K:A, Spellcraft boosters.[/quote\

Likewise with these two.

---
Set up electricity styled trap in the courtyard, 3d6 damage: 15,000 gold; 5 DC 25 spellcraft checks; 7 days.
Annalise. Spellcraft +28.

Let's have a couple of the middle ranks aiding on each. Except for K:A&E the other skills are fairly common, so aiding should be easy enough.

Second repairs round:

Improve growing farms(Things grow in 1/20th of the normal time): 10,000 gold; 2 DC 23 K:N checks, 1 DC 24 spellcraft check; 5 days.
Sylvie. K:N +36, Spellcraft +31 normally; K:N +51 with the K:N booster, Spellcraft +34 with the floating feat.

Improve courtyard electricity damage to 6d6: 10,000 gold; 3 DC 20 spellcraft checks; 5 days.
Kascha. Spellcraft +39 normally; Spellcraft +54 with Spellcraft booster.

Improve library's selection(+10 to knowledge checks): 50,000 gold; 1 DC 27 K:P check; 1 DC 30 Appraise check; 7 days.
Vul'lath. Appraise +28, K:P +32 normally; Appraise +43, K:P +47 with the Appraise, K:P boosters.

Third round:

Improve growing farms (Things grow overnight): 25,000 gold; 2 DC 28 K:N checks, 1 DC 25 spellcraft check; 5 days.

Improve courtyard electricity damage to 10d6: 30,000 gold; 3 DC 30 spellcraft checks; 6 days.
Kascha. Spellcraft +39 normally; Spellcraft +54 with Spellcraft booster.

Improve library's selection(+15 to knowledge checks, aka Sylvie special): 100,000 gold; 1 DC 33 K:P check; 1 DC 36 Appraise check; 7 days.
Vul'lath. Appraise +28, K:P +32 normally; Appraise +43, K:P +47 with the Appraise, K:P boosters.

I think we can decide what to do next, once this happens.
[/quote]

Okay, that's fine. We'll work these out in the coming days. There's various things to do around Aurora that are up now, so we'll see how those go.
[/quote]
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

1. Yuth PrC.
2. Log fragments to Cor.
3. Finalize army information above, barring more debate or alterations.
4. Worldmeet Glade info check and ruling for Yuth.
5. Ebony post + Sylica forces added to army.
6. Check wilding clasp+weapon, was discussion in chat that one doesn't work with a weapon. Will look into it.
7. Post unmatter info Yuth and company turned up.
8. Post information from the books the Guardian gave you.
9. Post Kascha's completed question and answer session with the Guardian.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

[23:10] <Jaela> Improve cafeteria(Just like the real thing! Keeps everyone happier): 35,000 gold; 2 DC 25 spellcraft checks; 1 DC 25 K:N check; 4 days.
[23:10] <Jaela> Sylvie. K:N +36, Spellcraft +31 normally; K:N +51 with the K:N booster, Spellcraft +34 with the floating feat.
[23:10] <Jaela> roll 1d20+34 spellcraft 1
[23:10] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+34 spellcraft 1 and gets 54." [1d20=20]
[23:10] <Jaela> roll 1d20+34 spellcraft 2
[23:10] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+34 spellcraft 2 and gets 54." [1d20=20]
[23:10] <Jaela> roll 1d20+51 K:N
[23:10] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+51 K:N and gets 63." [1d20=12]
[23:13] <Jaela> roll 2#1d20 spellcraft 1 aid
[23:13] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 2#1d20 spellcraft 1 aid and gets 16." [2#1d20 = 10, 6]
[23:13] <Jaela> roll 2#1d20 spellcraft 2 aid
[23:13] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 2#1d20 spellcraft 2 aid and gets 25." [2#1d20 = 9, 16]
[23:13] <Jaela> roll 2#1d20 K:N aid
[23:13] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 2#1d20 K:N aid and gets 4." [2#1d20 = 3, 1]
[23:14] <Jaela> So that's 58 on spellcraft 1 (DC25), 58 on spellcraft 2 (DC25), 65 on K:N (DC25)
[23:15] <Jaela> So 25+11+11+13?

60% discount, unless I counted badly.
14,000gp/35,000gp

[23:16] <Jaela> Onwards!
[23:16] <Jaela> Aquarium (For the tortles and other aquatic or amphibious races): 5,000 gold; 2 DC 25 K:A&E checks; 4 days.
[23:16] <Jaela> Tepen. K:A&E +33 normally; K:A&E +48 with the K:A&E booster.
[23:16] <Jaela> roll 1d20+48 K:A&E 1
[23:16] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+48 K:A&E 1 and gets 59." [1d20=11]
[23:16] <Jaela> roll 1d20+48 K:A&E 2
[23:16] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+48 K:A&E 2 and gets 68." [1d20=20]
[23:16] <Jaela> Wanna roll 4 aid rolls?
[23:17] <Muirfinn> I lack the Knowledge.
[23:17] <Jaela> Just the 1d20 for GOONS
[23:17] <Muirfinn> roll 4#1d20
[23:17] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4#1d20 and gets 37." [4#1d20 = 12, 13, 6, 6]
[23:17] <Jaela> Okays!
[23:18] <Jaela> 63 on K:A&E1 (DC25), 72 on K:A&E2 (DC25)
[23:18] <Jaela> 25+12+15

52% discount, unless I counted badly.
2,400gp/5,000gp

[23:18] <Jaela> Last one
[23:18] <Jaela> Speed up portal enlargement to 1 full round action: 50,000 gold; 1 DC 23 spellcraft check; 3 DC 40 K:A checks; 5 days.
[23:18] <Jaela> Kascha. K:A +42, Spellcraft +39 normally; K:A +57, Spellcraft +54 with the K:A, Spellcraft boosters.
[23:19] <Jaela> roll 1d20+54 spellcraft
[23:19] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+54 spellcraft and gets 69." [1d20=15]
[23:19] <Jaela> roll 1d20+57 K:A1
[23:19] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+57 K:A1 and gets 67." [1d20=10]
[23:19] <Jaela> roll 1d20+57 K:A2
[23:19] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+57 K:A2 and gets 73." [1d20=16]
[23:19] <Jaela> roll 1d20+57 K:A3
[23:19] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+57 K:A3 and gets 72." [1d20=15]
[23:21] <Jaela> roll 2#1d20 spellcraft
[23:21] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 2#1d20 spellcraft and gets 16." [2#1d20 = 10, 6]
[23:21] <Jaela> roll 2#1d20 K:A1
[23:21] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 2#1d20 K:A1 and gets 22." [2#1d20 = 18, 4]
[23:21] <Jaela> roll 2#1d20 K:A2
[23:21] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 2#1d20 K:A2 and gets 10." [2#1d20 = 8, 2]
[23:21] <Jaela> roll 2#1d20 K:A3
[23:21] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 2#1d20 K:A3 and gets 13." [2#1d20 = 8, 5]
[23:21] <Jaela> Spellcraft 73 (DC23), K:A1 71 (DC40), K:A2 77 (DC40), K:A3 76 (DC40)
[23:22] <Jaela> 25+16+10+12+12

75% discount, unless I counted badly.
12,500gp/50,000gp
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Graceful Blow

- Morale = 100.
- At least 2 NPCs or 1 PC have at least 1 level in arcane duelist.
- Army leader composition is at least half female. (Elementals and creatures without gender do not count for the sake of this.)
- Elrisa or Mirima is alive and in Aurora, or Misalea has reached arcane duelist level 5.
- Have Girdle of Greater Sex Change (Optional)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Vacation planning:

Eb is away April 13th for 'a few days to settle in'. That's a Friday and I'll assume he'll be gone the weekend + Monday, up to the 16th. If that's way off base say so, Eb. Yuth is gone the 12th and the 19th-23rd. Cor's gone from the 24th-28th. Two factors come into play. I'd rather not miss Merc days when possible, and missing days with two people out makes the most sense. Merc works the 13th and is off the 19th. Checking with Eb, he expects to be back by midweek.

Okay. I'm going to take off April 13th and April 16th-19th. The various missed days are spread out in a way where there's no clean and easy choice, frankly. Someone's gonna get the short end of the stick. I'd rather have this time sooner than later, so I'm using that as the tiebreaker.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin