News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 30, 2012, 05:14:29 PM
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1035785.html#msg1035785

This never really got resolved, for fairly understandable reasons. If it ended in failure, however, I can just roll again with the now-higher CL?

Failed, feel free to try again.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 30, 2012, 05:47:37 PM
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1032669.html#msg1032669

* Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw.

You can use a Limited Wish to autohit or to give a -7 penalty to a save. What about using it to get an untyped bonus of X to a skill roll like Spellcraft or some knowledge? Can it be done?

Is there a spell that can already do this that Limited Wish can mimic? Path of least resistance.

That said, I'd rather not. You're already using divine insight for a free +15 to any non-combat skill check. Let's not get completely silly with skill checks.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 30, 2012, 06:40:11 PM1. Could the Elemental Swarm spell be used to summon storm elementals? It doesn't actually specifically say that it summons an Air/Water/Fire/Earth elemental, just that it opens a portal to a specific elemental plane and pulls elementals through.

RAW no, since it gives you the option of four planes and nothing implies you can choose others. The absence of saying no is not the same as implying it may be possible. That aside, it's not entirely unreasonable if it's thematic for a character. If say Canderella was casting Elemental Swarm, I'd probably use storm elementals for her. She follows Talos and is all about the lightning magic, so it makes sense.

You still haven't summoned storm elementals (I think) so I haven't really seen how effective they are for you. So let me put off ruling on this until I have an idea of how they're going to perform.

Quote2. If I wanted to look into adding a creature or two to the Animal Companion list, would I be able to? What are the criteria to do so? I don't have anything specific in mind yet, I'm just testing the waters so to speak.

You could suggest one and get a DM ruling. I'm not adverse to custom content. That's pure judgment call territory.

Quote3. Why are the Grig and the Pixie on the SNA IX list? Even with the fiddle, it's still CR1, and the Pixie is CR5! Jesus.

Hell if I know. If I had to guess, I'd say it is because the pixies have a decent heap of SLAs for utility and greater invisibility. If you're summoning pixies, it's not because you want them to kill things. You want invisible, small sized scouts or distractions. How much that helps with the duration of SNA is anyone's guess.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on April 30, 2012, 07:31:13 PM
What about the training rooms? We need an upgrade path for them so our dudes can become buffer and die less!

Post about this in the Aurora topic. I'll get to it Wednesday.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on April 30, 2012, 07:28:46 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 30, 2012, 03:55:32 PMAs noted, devotion feats require devotion to that concept. Generally, if you follow a deity that offers the matching domain you can select it. If you want to take it, I'd shore up that aspect of Ithea. Devotion feats are powerful, but there is a tradeoff that has to be settled.
Well, regarding domain/devotion feats...From page 52:

QuoteAppropriate Theme: If you do not follow any specific deity, your basic system of beliefs should support your domain feat choices. A good rule of thumb is to designate one to three domains (in addition to that corresponding to your first domain feat) that are important to you. These beliefs must also be consistent with your alignment.

I do feel I meet the requirements as far as theme goes, since Ithea does go to the library somewhat decently, and she's started to buy books now that she has more spending money. She's got a lot of knowledge skills too, and the minor lore ACF specifically boosts knowledge skills as well. I'll keep feat hunting if you feel Ithea doesn't quite meet that aspect still, however.

Mmmm.

I'll allow it on reflection. You are a lapsed follower of Mystra, and you have a point that you've been doing a lot of knowledge based stuff.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

In reference to Lixer, I want to be clear. Let's say I have an Evil Outsider Bane, Lawful Outsider Bane, Undead Bane weapon. Will it strike Lixer at +4 for being a devil (lawful/evil outsider)? Or at +6, since he's also counted as undead for the sake of bane? If I have a Sacred weapon that does 2d6 damage to devils and 1d6 damage to undead, would it deal 2d6 to him or 3d6?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Jaela isn't sure. That sort of fine picking is beyond what her knowledge check gave her. Feel free to make inferences and your own guesses based on the information already provided.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Rituals of Mineral

[08:28] <Shizuru> I'll roll the int check. I'll assume it's not an opposed one so moment of prescience doesn't apply.
[08:28] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+6
[08:28] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+6 and gets 21." [1d20=15]

---

Book of Hellish Truth

[08:31] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+18 Dispel Evil
[08:31] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+18 Dispel Evil and gets 22." [1d20=4]
[08:32] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+17 Dispel Law, Hanna
[08:32] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+17 Dispel Law, Hanna and gets 24." [1d20=7]

Corwin

It's worth noting that we can do this incantation now without chance of failure:
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101739.msg1030928.html#msg1030928

Placing it at the entrance hall should block the castle's (not the courtyard's) sole gate and the way to the portal network/the chamber controlling the Aurora. Would it be an acceptable placing? It'll allow us to direct the enemies through the outer gates rather than have them avoid those traps and choke points and try to breach the outer walls, while adding an extra layer of security to the castle itself.

If the idea has merit, I propose to go for it once we repair the current batches + the training rooms.

Ebiris

Anastasia

Round 2

Initiative

Above Average

+23(Afina)>+17(Lief, Sylvie)>+16(Drena)>+12(Kascha, Ilsenine)>+11(Jaela, Adrian, Ebony, Stille)>+10(Muirfinn, Ithea, Hope, Hanna)>+9(Crystal, Master)

Average

Below Average

+8(Mirima)>+7(Tannin, Morniel)>+6(Arrel, Tepen, Vul'lath)>+5(Misalea, Dana, 27, Baleruk)>+3(Balyss)>+2(Gisfal)>+1(Jarl, Canderella)

Assertions

1. These numbers aren't absolute. Initiative has more temporary things that can modify it than other statistics. Sign, nerveskitter, dex boosters and other things all play into it. Gisfal can get up around average if he uses motivate dexterity, for instance.

2. Looking at these numbers, I would recommend an initiative of at least +10. This is a little above average, but I've noticed most serious threats can hit 30 on a decent roll for init. Having at least a chance to match that is an advantage.

3. Character effectiveness tends to correlate with how well they do on initiative, but it isn't an absolute determinator. The opinion of Drena's combat abilities is generally low and he ranks high, while conversely Baleruk ranks well below average despite being your ace in the hole.

4. Characters that can boost initiative for others (Adrian, Lief, Gisfal) get an extra gold star for usefulness.  This was proven Sunday, as Adrian and Lief together had you guys crushing initiative and controlling the battlefield.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Round 3

Most levels in a single class

Above Average

24(Baleruk(Prismatic Dragon/Abomination))
21(Hope(Fairy Dragon))
20(Master(Monk), Ilsenine(Beguiler), Gisfal(Marshal))
18(Jaela(Favored Soul), Muirfinn(Druid), Ithea(Duskblade), Tepen(Wizard/Expert), Ebony(Bard))
17(Jarl(Healer/Cloud Giant), Kascha(Ghaele), Hanna(Planetar), Sylvie(Factotum), Morniel(Monadic Deva), Canderella(Succubus), Balyss(Favored Soul))
16(27(Outsider/Herald of Ygorl))

Average

Below Average

15(Tannin(Battle Dancer), Vul'lath(Savant))
14(Crystal(Paladin of Freedom))
13(Afina(Scout), Drena(Air Elemental))
12(Adrian(Rogue))
11(Dana(Knight))
10(Arrel(Aerial Avenger), Mirima(Fighter), Stille(Ardent Dilettante))
9(Misalea(Bard))
8(Lief(Ranger))

Assertions

None. While an interesting curiosity, these numbers aren't much to infer useful information from. The nature of 3.5 makes dipping an entirely valid strategy. It's the sum of the parts, not each component.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Round 4

Land speed

Above Average

110(Master)>100(Baleruk)>60(Afina, 27)>50(Tannin, Hope, Kascha)

Average

Below Average

40(Jaela, Ithea, Dana, Jarl, Hanna, Sylvie, Morniel, Crystal, Mirima, Stille)>30(Adrian, Misalea, Tepen, Canderella, Vul'lath, Gisfal, Ebony)>20(Muirfinn, Arrel, Lief, Crystal, Ilsenine, Balyss)

Assertions

1. The average is thrown out of whack by the Master and Baleruk. Without them the average is 37, putting the heap of people at 40 above average.

2. Speed is a useful trait to have. At least 40ft is desirable if possible, to allow for long charges and outrun 30ft land speed opponents. Anything about 50 or 60 is excessive. It's nice to have, but it's not all that useful except for jump checks.

3. I don't think this one correlates much to character effectiveness. High speed is useful, but it's ultimately a luxury that most can do without. This is doubly so if you can work out a decent fly speed and maneuverability.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Round 5

Fly speed

Above Average

280(Baleruk)>150(Kascha)>120(27)>110(Arrel)>105(Drena)>100(Hope)

Average

Below Average

90(Afina, Hanna, Morniel, Gisfal)>60(Jaela, Lief, Crystal, Ilsenine, Balyss)>50(Misalea, Sylvie, Canderella)

Assertions

1. Baleruk once again fucks up the average. Kascha has some turbo wings on her too.

2. A fly speed is the important thing along with at least average maneuverability. As long as you have it you're okay off. A higher speed is nice and it's served Afina well, but it's not essential.

3. I don't think any deeper inferences can be drawn from this. We're already in a subset of people who are advantaged by having a permanent or nearly permanent fly speed. This and land speed are mostly for the sake of completion.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Round 6

Armor class

Above Average

60(Master)>54(27)>45(Baleruk)>43(Dana, Stille)>42(Afina, Misalea)>41(Muirfinn, Ithea)>40(Drena)>39(Hope, Hanna)>38(Jaela, Kascha)>37(Tannin, Arrel)

Average

Below Average

36(Sylvie)>35(Gisfal)>34(Morniel)>33(Balyss)>32(Adrian)>31(Crystal, Canderella)>30(Jarl, Lief, Mirima)>28(Ilsenine)>25(Vul'lath)>24(Ebony)>17(Tepen)

Comments

First of all, this doesn't include a heap of factors. There's lots of ways for people to situationally raise armor class, so take all this with a grain of salt. That said, from the numbers, I'd suggest several classifications. If you're doing melee, you want at least AC 40, or AC 30+a good secondary gimmick to add defense. While 40 is a bit above average, it ideally ensures you some misses and thus helping keep you alive. At this level gimmicks aren't ever foolproof, and various thing can and will counter you. The people who fall below fourty and lack a defensive gimmick have problems with this. Adrian comes right to mind, as his defenses haven't ever quite been up to snuff.

Interestingly, everyone below average but Adrian has some secondary line of defense or gimmick to help shore up their abilities. I may need to look into some sort of solution to this at some point. He has UMD, so a second want to join his wand of shield is probably in the offing.

I find it interesting on how different people assemble different competitive defensive styles.
<Afina> Forever.