News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 11, 2012, 04:27:52 PM
1. In the scope of Mass Awaken, the XP cost is 250. I see no reason not to use that on any animal on the Aurora that will be assisting in combat. Namely, the dire wolves. This could also be applied to trees though. In this scope, would the cost of XP->GP be direct, or modified?

I can't find my old ruling on this. It hasn't really come up since Balmuria 1 so we've all been plodding along. For crafting the XP costs are ignored. In the case of awakening, I feel the benefit of awakening is worth some resource trade-off. Mmm. We'll go with 1-1 for Mass Awaken (Awaken Construct too), with the proviso that the lab doesn't lower the cost. Treat it like an expensive material component or focus.

I'll also give you the same ruling I gave to Afina about her constructs. You're welcome to awaken creatures; a result of awakening them is that they gain the ability to gestalt. Keep them to fairly simple classes and no full casting classes. That adds a whole other layer of unneeded complications if you start awakening up archmages and master clerics.

Quote2. In the MIC, there is an item called the Pearl of Speech. It is 600gp. Could this be used to allow Muirfinn to speak in shapeshift form? I totally understand if this doesn't overcome the Natural Spell ban (that's not what I'm getting at here), but I'd at least like to be able to communicate.

Yeah, that's fine. Just remember the normal MIC doubling.

Quote3. What would Muirfinn have to go about doing to reach Exalted alignment, and what would that entail?

Let me talk to you privately about that since it involves a lot of note checking on my end and feel out what you want here.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 12, 2012, 04:55:00 PM
When you have the time, I would be curious to see you post a few high-level NPCs on the side of Good. Not even necessarily people we'll ever come in contact with. Say like any of the angels that control a layer of Celestia, or anyone else really powerful and nongeneric (so not just Solar 33/Cleric 33).

The Hebdomad is roughly equivalent to the Lords of the Nine in power. Barachiel is 52 hit dice, for example, with 52 levels of trumpet archon as one side of the gestalt. This outshines the deities I've posted, but this is on purpose. I've posted Alicia, most of Seira, Zaaman Rul, Empress Sulia and Malcanthet. All but Zaaman Rul are relatively new on the divine stage; Zaaman Rul got his ass kicked by Imix. I've been working my way up slowly, making a good base before working out the strongest creatures.

At some point I'll post them, but deities are a lot of work and doubly so if I want to publicly post them. Just don't expect it soon, since I have lots of DM work to do already.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 12, 2012, 05:23:20 PM
The intent is for Afina and Jaela to go on the Graceful Blow ancestor tomb quest tomorrow, along with Adrian, Misalea and Mirima. This lineup looks perfectly fine to me, but if they really want to take someone else, there are up to three more spots.

They're good there. If you want to bring other PCs/they're interested now feel free. I'm all for making my life easier, though I won't force the other two to go along if they aren't interested.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

No, no. I don't want deities. I just want Good epic dudes.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on May 12, 2012, 06:37:27 PM
Quote3. What would Muirfinn have to go about doing to reach Exalted alignment, and what would that entail?

Let me talk to you privately about that since it involves a lot of note checking on my end and feel out what you want here.

You told me no when I asked.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 12, 2012, 06:47:02 PM
No, no. I don't want deities. I just want Good epic dudes.

Well, the Hebdomad are planar lords so I misunderstood your intent.

Grandfather Time was a solar 45//wizard 20/master of the compact 25, for example.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 12, 2012, 06:48:16 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on May 12, 2012, 06:37:27 PM

You told me no when I asked.

Which involved stuff on my end and talking to you. I know you don't mean anything by it here, but let me deal with this.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

No Mei until tomorrow. Refreshing myself on warlock invocations+custom material is time consuming.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1036044.html#msg1036044

Ferrum Incendia

This ring grants the wearer's natural attacks a +5 enhancement bonus, as well as an additional 2d6 points of hellfire damage. This ring radiates overwhelming evil.

Can this ring be fixed? If so, how would the Triune like to handle it?

Anastasia

By the power of the orb Misalea used, she has gained three levels. Benefits as follows.

On one side of gestalt she takes three levels of Arcane Duelist. She doesn't have a choice here due to the orb. On the other side she takes two levels of Sentinel and one of Bard.

She gains 8(2d10+1d8)+9=17 hp. Ouch. As a note for next level, she rolled a 1 on her last HD.

She gains 3 points of BAB, bringing her to +17 total.

She gains blur as an SLA a number of times per day as her Arcane Duelist level.

She gains enchant chosen weapon+3.

She gains false keenness.

She gains no new spells per day but 0 4th level spells. With her charisma modifier she has two 4th level charges. She gains another 3rd level spell known and two 4th level spells. She selects Glibness, Inner Beauty and Healing Spirit.

She gains +2 to fort, reflex and will saves.

She gains +1 stat point. She chooses dex and goes up to a +6 dex modifier.

Skills go up as normal.

She gains a feat, choosing Divine Might.

She gains +1 wisdom from fey bloodline. This boosts her wisdom modifier to +4.

She gains deep slumber 1/day as an SLA from fey bloodline.

She gains fey affinity+6 from fey bloodline.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm posting Villisa here since she's not official in any capacity. While she does exist, these stats aren't final. Should events ever bring her on stage, there's good odds I'll have made some changes. The basics are done. I'd add more customized powers dealing with her station at the least, and likely a few other tweaks to her existing powers, were I doing her seriously. This is purely for Cor's enlightenment since he was curious. A solar of this level and station would likely have some sort of official rank, perhaps even being a proxy of Sune. I didn't add that since it's purely extra effort.

Incidentally, I was originally going to do Sapha and make it a nudge and wink parody at the unusual abundance of lesbians you guys seem to pick up. The humor didn't work out so I scrapped that and did Villisa instead.

Villisa and her sisters are solars created from the tears of Sune, Goddess of Love. They are tasked with aiding her in overseeing all aspects of love. Villisa is one of the Stronghearted, an order of solars who see to the protection of love. Villisa's particular duties involve protecting loves of all sort, though she tends to protect traditional love while her sisters Debonah and Sapha see to relations between homosexual men and women, respectively. The three sisters are a blade for Sune for when battle must be joined, though none of the sisters relish combat and seek to avert bloodshed whenever possible.

Villisa stands ten feet tall, a willowy woman of breath-taking beauty. She does not wear armor, wearing a dress of white silk resembling a bridal gown. Her hair is blonde, shining bright with a faintly metallic glint in the light. A length of red silk cord is curled around her right wrist.

Villisa, Guardian of Love.

Solar 35//Paladin of Freedom 20 (Ruby Rose Knight)/Heartwarder 10/Divine Champion 5

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Good, Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 22d10+13d8+385 (716 hp)
Initiative: +19
Speed: 50 ft, fly 150 ft (good)
Armor Class: 55 (-1 size, +12 dex, +21 natural, +1 dodge, +12 armor)
Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +35/+45/63
Attack: Villisa's Silk+54 (1d3+18 plus entangle)
Full Attack:Villisa's Silk+54 (1d3+18 plus entangle)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells, smite evil 7/day, turn undead 16/day (DC 31; 8d6)
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 20/epic and evil, darkvision 120ft, low light vision, immunity to acid, cold and petrification, protective aura, regeneration 20, resistance to electricity and fire 20, spell resistance 48, tongues, aura of good, detect evil, lay on hands(260 hp), divine grace, aura of resolve, enduring personality, special mount, heroism 5/week, heroic rapture, heart of passion, lips of rapture, voice of a siren, tears of evergold, lay on hands(DC version; 65 hp), imbue with spell ability, divine wrath.
Saves: Fort +41, Ref +44, Will +45  (+4 vs poison, +4 resistance vs evil, +2 sacred vs divine magic, outsider SLAs and SUs)
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 32, Con 32, Int 28, Wis 34, Cha 37
Skills: 38+ability modifier.
Feats: Words of Creation(B), Dodge(1), Mobility(3), Spell Focus(Enchantment)(6), Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Whip)(9), Divine Might(12), Weapon Focus(Whip)(15), Power Attack(18), Improved Initiative(21), Combat Reflexes(DC2), Combat Expertise(DC4)
Epic Feats: Epic Spell Capacity(24), Superior Initiative(27), Epic Skill Focus(Diplomacy)(30), Epic Skill Focus(Sense Motive)(33)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Racial powers:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Regeneration (Ex)

Villisa takes normal damage from epic evil-aligned weapons, and from spells or effects with the evil descriptor.

Spell-Like Abilities:

Always active-detect evil, detect snares and pits, discern lies, see invisibility, true seeing. At will-aid animate objects, commune, continual flame, dimensional anchor, greater dispel magic, holy smite, imprisonment, invisibility (self only), lesser restoration, power word stun, remove curse, remove disease, remove fear, resist energy, summon monster vii, speak with dead, waves of fatigue; 3/day—blade barrier, earthquake, heal, mass charm monster, permanency, resurrection*, waves of exhaustion; 1/day—greater restoration, power word blind, power word stun, prismatic spray, miracle. Caster level 35nd, DC 23+spell level. Any of Villisa's always active abilities may be dispelled, but she can reactive them as a free action on her turn.

Spells

Villisa casts as a 33rd level cleric with access to the Chaos, Charm, Good, Protection and Pleasure domains.

Change Shape (Su)

Villisa can assume the form of any small or medium humanoid.

Paladin of Freedom powers:

Villisa casts as a 20th level paladin.

Aura of Good (Ex)

The power of a paladin's aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to her paladin level.

Detect Evil (Sp)

At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell.

Smite Evil (Su)

Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: The Paladin, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.

Divine Grace (Su)

At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Lay on Hands (Su)

Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her paladin level × her Charisma bonus. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn't have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.

Alternatively, a paladin can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. The paladin decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.

Aura of Resolve (Su)

Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to compulsions (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against compulsion effects.

This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Enduring Personality (Su)

A 3rd-level Ruby Rose Knight is immune to any effect that would deal Charisma damage or Charisma drain. This benefit replaces the standard paladin's divine health class feature.

Turn Undead (Su)

When a paladin reaches 4th level, she gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. She may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. She turns undead as a cleric of three levels lower would.

Special Mount (Sp)

Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve her in her crusade against evil. This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium paladin) or a warpony (for a Small paladin).

Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in which it resides. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the paladin's level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin and remains for 2 hours per paladin level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service.

Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.

Should the paladin's mount die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The paladin may not summon another mount for thirty days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first, even if the mount is somehow returned from the dead. During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a -1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Heroism (Sp)

At 6th level, a Ruby Rose Knight can use a heroism effect once per week, using her class level as her caster level. She can't use this spell-like ability on herself, only on another creature.

This benefit replaces the remove disease class feature gained by a standard paladin. If she would later gain extra weekly uses of remove disease, a Ruby Rose Knight instead gains extra weekly uses of heroism.

Heartwarder powers:

Heart of Passion (Ex)

At 2nd level a heartwarder invokes such passionate belief in whatever she does or says that she can sway the thoughts of the most rigid critic. This translates into a +2 bonus to all charisma based skills.

Lips of Rapture (Su)

At 4th level, the heartwarder's kiss bestows a state of bliss on the recipient, conferring a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves and checks. This ability lasts 5 rounds and can be used a number of times a day equal to your charisma modifier.  The only downside to a heartwarder's kiss is that it also afflicts a daze spell on the target(A normal saving throw negates, as if the heartwarder had cast daze.)

Voice of a Siren (Su)

A heartwarder's voice is so enticing that she weakens the ability of her foes to resist her spells. She gains the benefits of greater spell focus(Enchantment) and spell penetration, but only on spells that have a verbal component.

Tears of Evergold (Su)

Once a week, a heartwarder can cry tears from the sacred pool of Evergold. If the tears are collected, they serve as a potion of love and can be used by the Sunite faith as holy water.

Gear: [spoiler]

Villisa's Silk

This silken cord is usually seen wrapped around Villisa's right wrist, resembling nothing more than a red bracelet. As a free action Villisa may cause it to unfurl, forming a whip with 70ft of reach. Unlike normal whips, this whip may deal lethal damage and deal damage to enemies with a natural armor bonus of +3 or greater, or an armor bonus of +1 or greater. While it may make attacks of opportunity as well, the long length is difficult to control. As a result, Villisa's Silk only threatens to a range of 20ft.

Villisa's Silk is a whip+10, mighty smiting. On a successful attack with Villisa's Silk, silken strands and bonds appear over the target, covering them. The target must make a DC 41 reflex save or be entangled for 7 rounds.

Bridal Gown

This beautiful white gown is enchanted to protect Villisa, granting her a +12 armor bonus to armor class.

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Divine Might is an awesome feat, though it has Power Attack as a prereq. Divine Vigor isn't bad?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 14, 2012, 02:43:11 AM
Divine Might is an awesome feat, though it has Power Attack as a prereq. Divine Vigor isn't bad?

Oh right, I forgot. I almost always have PA for warrior types, so it slips my mind when they don't. She replaces P4's extra smiting with power attack to satisfy the prerequisite. She needs the offense of divine might enough to where it's worth two smites. Thanks for the catch.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I have a question about design/build guidelines.

Essentially, are things that give the same or a very similar thing twice allowed to stack in Balmuria? I'm not talking about Evasion + Evasion becoming Improved Evasion, but say about being a paladin and getting Divine Grace and then going into Champion of Gwynharwyf and getting Charisma to saves a second time, or about being a chaos monk and a battledancer and getting a stat to AC twice (even the same stat, if you get the Ascetic Mage feat).

Anastasia

It isn't officially banned, as I allow it in one or two situations (generally involving the divine rank templates or unique corner cases), but generally it's not going to happen. Stacking a stat to the same thing more than once is going to get nixed. I could get nasty and do things like that, but it's a level of numerical charop that I'd rather not bring to the table. As a related ruling, anything that boils down to 'paladin/divine blessing cha to saves' is going to be ruled to be the same thing, despite any naming differences.

I do allow getting multiple different stats to something, within reason. The Master has cha, wis and dex to AC, for instance. This falls back into the normal range of DM judgment, as generally you're making yourself more MAD doing so.
<Afina> Forever.