News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Can favored souls have K:P?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

There was a dumb mistake in the former, and besides we have training rooms to fix now. So!

Improve courtyard electricity damage to 6d6: 10,000 gold; 3 DC 20 spellcraft checks; 5 days.
Kascha. Spellcraft +40 normally.

Improve library's selection(+15 to knowledge checks, aka Sylvie special): 100,000 gold; 1 DC 33 K:P check; 1 DC 36 Appraise check; 7 days.
Vul'lath. Appraise +28, K:P +32 normally; Appraise +43, K:P +47 with the Appraise, K:P boosters.

Lava pools (For the pyrofey and other fiery races): 10,000 gold; 2 DC 30 K:A&E checks; 1 DC 32 K:A check; 4 days.
Tepen. K:A&E +33, K:A +33 normally; K:A&E +48, K:A +48 with the K:A&E, K:A boosters.

Repair training rooms: 30,000 gold; 2 DC 30 K:A checks; 1 DC 32 K:A&E check; 4 days.
Tepen, after lava pools. K:A&E +33, K:A +33 normally; K:A&E +48, K:A +48 with the K:A&E, K:A boosters.

Improve cafeteria(Better than the real thing. Possibly addictive!): 50,000 gold; 1 DC 30 spellcraft check; 2 DC 30 K:N checks; 4 days.
Sylvie. K:N +37, Spellcraft +32 normally; K:N +52 with the K:N booster, Spellcraft +50 with the floating feat and booster.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Miscellaneous bullshit alert!

Repeating this here since it came up in session: I'm running with the houseruling of Lingering Flames from today's session. It deals damage on benig cast, entering the radius and on the caster's turn each round. You can only take damage from Lingering Flames once per round. For the sake of this and ease of tracking, rounds are tracked by the caster's turns. It's possible to go in, take damage and then immediately take damage again if the caster's turn is up next, but oh well. This part of the ruling is for ease of management.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I want to fight the devils, it's been a while. Can we?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 20, 2012, 06:16:29 AM
I want to fight the devils, it's been a while. Can we?

Sure, go find a devil to attack or wait for them to come to you.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay. We were chatting over things in chat tonight and the subject of spell DCs not keeping up with save modifiers came up. The idea of changing spell save DCs to function like supernatural ability DCs came up and there was interest. So I figured I'd bring it up here and see what you guys think.

Proposed house rule for spells and SLAs: Spell DCs are now 10 + 1/2 hit dice + casting stat modifier. Spell level no longer plays into it and the save DCs for spells rise with your level, just like how supernatural abilities work. For instance, Simmer (cha mod+9, 17 hd) would have a save DC of 27 for all of her spells.

This would help make save DCs keep up better, since I know all of you have noticed they struggle. Conversely, it would make your diabolical opponents stronger, as save DCs would be higher against you. Further, enemy spellcasters would be even more dangerous. What do you guys think? Interested? All of you are casters, so I figure all of you should have an opinion on this.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I don't think it actually removes the existing problem, though it does help a bit. A spell's DC will still be around the same for newly learned spells (sorceror/wizard gets level 9 spells at level 17-18, which means DC of 19 before casting stat...which is the same as existing DC, to list an example), but it does allow lower level spells to increase in relevance, and the spell DC increases roughly proportionally to that of a characters' saves.

Anyway, I'm okay with trying it out, I don't think it would make enemy spellcasters (or us) that much more dangerous, overall.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on May 20, 2012, 09:54:26 PM
I don't think it actually removes the existing problem, though it does help a bit. A spell's DC will still be around the same for newly learned spells (sorceror/wizard gets level 9 spells at level 17-18, which means DC of 19 before casting stat...which is the same as existing DC, to list an example), but it does allow lower level spells to increase in relevance, and the spell DC increases roughly proportionally to that of a characters' saves.

Anyway, I'm okay with trying it out, I don't think it would make enemy spellcasters (or us) that much more dangerous, overall.

It doesn't 100% fix DC issues. To be honest, only a lower level of optimization and reworking gestalt saves would do that. I do think this does help, which is all I'm aiming for.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Corwin

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I dislike it. Our foes are typically hd-bloated above ourselves, so it grants a greater advantage to them. Also higher level spell = higher dc isn't a model I'd like to get rid of.

Corwin

Pretty much. Also, why do I need to stick through to Weird if Phantasmal Killer is just as good? Or, say, Glitterdust? It's a lot more satisfying to get to the higher levels if you're getting superior spells in every sense from them.

Also, it's certainly true that you favor the approach of boss enemies over a deluge of mooks, so their saves and HD will be bloated. Our potential gains are suspect, while we'll certainly get screwed. Doubly so, since devils=SLAs, and usually employ both spammable and quickened SLAs in your builds.

Personally, if we want higher DCs/you want to give us a bit of an edge, I would prefer boosting it via raising our casting stats and via DC boosters. I hope I'll get a chance to find a star for Hanna to craft something to make my Light spells better, that sort of stuff can be neat.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Corwin on May 21, 2012, 04:05:06 AM
Personally, if we want higher DCs/you want to give us a bit of an edge, I would prefer boosting it via raising our casting stats and via DC boosters. I hope I'll get a chance to find a star for Hanna to craft something to make my Light spells better, that sort of stuff can be neat.

This was my suggestion, and I think it would produce less insanity to do that.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?