News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2012, 12:13:57 AM
Ithea, your sheet init is only +10. You have +6 dex and +4 improved init, but don't you get int to init from Factotum 3?
Uh, I do? I don't see anything that says I get int to init, unless you mean that Brains over Brawns considers init a dexterity check (in which case I'd assume reflex is considered there too?).
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Saves=/=dexterity based check. Saves are something else entirely. Anyway, as far as init goes? From the SRD:

QuoteAt the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check. An initiative check is a Dexterity check. Each character applies his or her Dexterity modifier to the roll.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Oh, huh. I never really considered initiative a dexterity check for some reason. I mean, I knew that's what it was based on, but... *shrugs*

I'll add Int to it then.

Anastasia

Yes. It's why Motivate Dexterity and Brains over Brawn are so good. It's why Sylvie has something like a +16 init modifier, too.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Anastasia

Cool. That's by far the strongest aspect of a 3 level factotum dip. You could always just keep going in Factotum if all else fails, it gives out a lot of broad variety and useful things.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Scout could get tasty with Flyby Attack. What book is Savant from?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Dragon Compendium. It's also in the ultimate SRD if you have that handy.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Always do. I'll check it out tonight.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Let me know what you think.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I don't know, really. OC5 is going to get finished, but there's merit in going prestige knight first to raise saves pre-epic. Before said prc, I figured of doing the same thing with monk or rogue. I kind of want to continue it, so I'd probably stick with it for the most part past the point it would remain relevant.

I strongly dislike epic magic, and I have an even stronger hatred for the epic magic feat tax so I don't know what I'll do on the other side. I've been worrying over getting screwed due to SR if I don't advance my CL, but a marshal dip for Charisma to CL for purposes of bypassing SR takes care of that.

Some combination of Automatic Magic: Quicken, the feat that reduces quicken costs by 2 and Devilslayer (essentially flipped Demonslayer) appeal as lvl21 and lvl24 feats. I originally considered adding another alignment component to my DR but the strong enemies against whom it would come to guard would easily bypass it anyway so it'd be wasteful. The feat where you heal from energy you're immune to is cool but doesn't apply to me. Mutliaction is useful, but impossbly distant plus I don't want to get free haste as an epic feat while Afina is around to provide it anyway. A charisma or constitution boost would be nice, but I don't want to waste a feat on them with the other options existing. None of the other feats really left an impression on me, possibly because many of them wouldn't apply to me due to build/alignment.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 24, 2012, 02:53:50 AMI strongly dislike epic magic, and I have an even stronger hatred for the epic magic feat tax so I don't know what I'll do on the other side. I've been worrying over getting screwed due to SR if I don't advance my CL, but a marshal dip for Charisma to CL for purposes of bypassing SR takes care of that.

That will mostly take care of caster level checks, at least for awhile. If nothing else, you doing this will make your spell game much better. Anyone casting SR: Yes spells will love you a long time for it.

As an aside for the FS part of your gestalt, perhaps just continue FS? The epic progression for it is a bonus feat every three levels, +fly speed and dr+energy resistance boosts. It's not that bad for you, even the whole epic spells thing aside, and the bonus epic feats would let you get automatic quicken or other shenanigans going faster. Also, if for whatever reason you change your mind about epic magic, you won't be behind in CL. I'm not sure if you will, don't get me wrong, but it's nice to have a fall back.

QuoteSome combination of Automatic Magic: Quicken, the feat that reduces quicken costs by 2 and Devilslayer (essentially flipped Demonslayer) appeal as lvl21 and lvl24 feats. I originally considered adding another alignment component to my DR but the strong enemies against whom it would come to guard would easily bypass it anyway so it'd be wasteful. The feat where you heal from energy you're immune to is cool but doesn't apply to me. Mutliaction is useful, but impossbly distant plus I don't want to get free haste as an epic feat while Afina is around to provide it anyway. A charisma or constitution boost would be nice, but I don't want to waste a feat on them with the other options existing. None of the other feats really left an impression on me, possibly because many of them wouldn't apply to me due to build/alignment.

You could go for Great Smiting, though it's not optimal for you since you don't have a really high bonus damage total from smite. Pulverize would be nice as well if you're able to finesse the prerequisites. Bonus Domain is almost certainly overkill, but it could be an option if you want to grab yet another one. Oh, and Spell Opportunity could be crazy-good with your gambit setup. It does require the dreaded Combat Casting, though. For that matter Improved Combat Reflexes could be a good nab at some point if your dex doesn't improve much. <--Check that, missed dex 21 there. Ow.  Spellcasting Harrier too, by the same token. Finally, Holy Strike isn't the most interesting feat, but it is a solid +2d6 against evil.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I think I'm covered against evil. Spellcasting Harrier is the sort of thing that I think makes for a great mechanic but is kind of dumb as an epic feat, honestly. Given a choice, any caster should really 5ft step back/quick cast/etc, if they're even in melee to begin with (why?) over casting defensively. I guess they might do it anyway since SH is rare, but that just makes it a 1/encounter thing, perhaps even 1/game since our enemies apparently study our abilities. Yeah, Improved Combat Reflexes is kinda eh. If I have dex 21 I pretty much have infinite AoOs anyway since we don't do mook deluge battles. Spell Opportunity isn't bad, but touch spells kind of suck past a certain level and I'd rather just use my epic weapon to stab the devils over reaching out and touching them. One can get past this with custom and useful spells but that's just cheese.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 24, 2012, 04:31:51 AMSpellcasting Harrier is the sort of thing that I think makes for a great mechanic but is kind of dumb as an epic feat, honestly. Given a choice, any caster should really 5ft step back/quick cast/etc, if they're even in melee to begin with (why?) over casting defensively. I guess they might do it anyway since SH is rare, but that just makes it a 1/encounter thing, perhaps even 1/game since our enemies apparently study our abilities.

It also works on SLAs, so you'd nail at least some outsiders with it.

QuoteYeah, Improved Combat Reflexes is kinda eh. If I have dex 21 I pretty much have infinite AoOs anyway since we don't do mook deluge battles. Spell Opportunity isn't bad, but touch spells kind of suck past a certain level and I'd rather just use my epic weapon to stab the devils over reaching out and touching them. One can get past this with custom and useful spells but that's just cheese.

Making custom spells is cheese? Really?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Custom and useful spells. It depends on why one might think spell lists for limited casters (ie not clerics/druids/wizards) don't have certain spells on them. If the idea is to balance/limit them, then yes, pretty much. In the same sense, if a wizard wants to make a custom spell that effectively gives him Cure Serious Wounds or Heal, is it cheese?