News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay people, army groupings and officer assignments are out of date. Since you're gunning for Castle Crumbling, let's get those updated. Do I have a volunteer?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

So let's talk your plan to attack Castle Crumbling. We have four days to get this in order, but I'd prefer to have it done by Wednesday if at all possible. What's your plan? Debate and outline it, and I'll ask for clarifications as desired.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I distributed the new forces, and I think it'll be a good idea to split some of them up into more armies once we get reinforcements from Celestia and the Triad. Each of the armies got a new officer in addition to the existing ones in anticipation of that, and to help handle the increased troop strength. Rosa was elected to lead one the auxiliary armies, given she came with credentials for that. Thoughts?

Total army strength: 5,662 + elite warriors (PCs, named NPCs in the NPC topic, ect)

3 main armies: 918 in each
300 burning aeropolis refugees
150 Ysgardian regulars
60 elven warriors
40 catfolk warriors
40 air elementals (Chan)
30 Ysgardian warriors
30 Graceful Blow students
30 Triune movanic devas
30 tortles
28 pixies, purple pixie bridage
20 fey-blooded centaurs
15 air elementals (Cauldron)
15 water elementals (Cauldron)
15 earth elementals (Cauldron)
15 fire elementals (Cauldron)
15 Sylican regulars
15 elven confederation of liberations
10 satyrs of the sunrise
10 courre scouts
10 firre warriors/clerics
10 healers
10 eidolons of rimefire
10 Triune courre
5 elite healers
5 knights of the wise convent
Officers: (1) Drena, Dana, The Master, Balyss; (2) Mirima, Misalea, Sylvie, Simmer; (3) Crystal, Lief, Canderella, Ebony.
In command: PCs, ideally? If not, then the first/second choice listed for each army should do well.

The idea is to have a force that is largely light and swift, and can respond far more quickly to any situation or need for reinforcements. The situation at Earthfall where Afina and Willim fell back with the air elementals comes to mind here, but it could also double for scouting and for hit and run/harrassment tactics.
1 rapid response force: 412
65 air elementals (Chan)
60 fey-blooded centaurs
48 air elementals (Shinear)
66 dire wolves
50 phase spiders
43 catfolk
40 pixies from Lifasa
40 courre scouts
Officers: Rosa, Tannin, Arrel, Stille
In command: PCs or Rosa, depending on the situation.

Magic is really what makes or breaks things in D&D3.5 and battles aren't any different. This mage-oriented force could either serve as artillery or provide aid (having lots and lots of clerics) or buff or debuff and basically be fairly multi-purpose. And since mages are usually squishier and not that suited for melee, they have some really strong defenders attached to them.
1 mage-heavy force: 425
60 Triune courre
50 satyrs of the sunrise
50 Ysgardian regulars
47 firre warriors/clerics
45 Graceful Blow students
40 healers
30 ladies of the butterfly kinship
20 eidolons of rimefire
20 air elementals (Chan)
12 githyanki acolytes
12 earth elementals (Earth)
10 Triune movaic devas
5 elite healers
8 Ysgardian warriors
5 cloud giants
Officers: Hanna, Kascha, Sage Vul'lath, The Jarl
In command: PCs, Hanna or Kascha, depending on the situation.

I suppose this is really the same as a reserve, but I can entirely see it being sufficient to hold Aurora indefinitely for us, thus freeing our main force(s) for attacking/responding/counter-attacking.
Aurora defense: 304
97 burning aeropolis refugees
51 elven warriors
31 refugee warrios from Lifasa
25 conflagration oozes
23 tortles
20 satyrs of the sunrise
10 healers
10 Triune courre
7 courre scouts
5 Sylica regulars
5 air elementals (Cauldron)
5 water elementals (Cauldron)
5 earth elementals (Cauldron)
5 fire elementals (Cauldron)
5 knights of the wise convent
5 elven confederation of liberations
Officers: Adrian, Baleruk, Elder Magi Tepen, Mei
In command: Gisfal
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Additionally to that, anyone not directly listed for whatever reason (Hanna's apprentice, Ithea's pet, new sorc team that's not on the books yet) are automatically assigned to Aurora defense. In case it ever matters.

Corwin

Plan-wise, how about we ram Castle Crumbling? Our forces can be ready in the courtyard for the invasion, and the defense could be centered around the mage-heavy army that would buff/debuff as our other forces assault the inevitable invaders. The skirmishers can watch their backs and generally be a nuisance to the enemy, and we'll take the fight to Lixer and try to end him.

Anastasia

Additional note for planning since it's been awhile.

Quote[21:10] <Kotono> Before you the winds gather! They grow tighter and stronger, howling with the force of a tornado! These winds blend into one, becoming a perfect pale-green diamond, the size of a fist. It clatters onto the ground with a soft tinkle, "This stone holds truth within it. Take it to whomever controls Medicant; Elena was mentioned as still being there. It will part the myriad lies and illusions
[21:10] <Kotono> protecting Castle Crumbling, showing you the way."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I remember that one, actually. I have that diamond.

Anastasia

Okay then, just make sure to account for it in your planning.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on August 13, 2012, 02:57:44 AM
Plan-wise, how about we ram Castle Crumbling? Our forces can be ready in the courtyard for the invasion, and the defense could be centered around the mage-heavy army that would buff/debuff as our other forces assault the inevitable invaders. The skirmishers can watch their backs and generally be a nuisance to the enemy, and we'll take the fight to Lixer and try to end him.

Elder Magi Tepen and Gisfal would both like to point out one extremely relevant point. Castle Crumbling lies in the negative energy plane. While Aurora's courtyard is safe from it, going out to attack and invade Castle Crumbling brings the full difficulties of that realm to bear. At the least it deals 1d6 points of damage to living creatures per round (minor negative dominate trait) and more likely inflicts one negative level each round (major negative dominate trait). This makes the viability of en-masse assaults outside of Aurora's protective area difficult, or at least requires considerable measures to protect those that venture out.

This assumes that the castle keeps those traits, of course, but in the absence of knowledge otherwise, it's the working assumption Gisfal would go with. Plan for the worst so your army survives if the worst happens.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

That's exactly why I'm proposing only Team PC+a few NPCs at the most actually head inside. If Lixer's minions are fine with us ramming their castle and won't go invade ours in return, I guess we're screwed?

Anastasia

Yeah, I figured, but they felt obligated to mention it.  Speaking of, any ideas on an assault team?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

On a completely unrelated note, how the hell is Maw of Chaos(SC) an abjuration spell?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on August 13, 2012, 03:24:00 AM
Yeah, I figured, but they felt obligated to mention it.  Speaking of, any ideas on an assault team?

In the interests of moving things along since we really need this prep done, here are some suggestions. This works with the assumption that of negative energy plane conditions+undead. Obviously there's going to be devils involved as well, but you guys should know who can deal with them by now.

Adrian (Su immunity to planar effects, can hit incorporeal creatures)
The Jarl (Full turn undead, tons and tons of healing which routs the undead)
The Master (52 touch AC, stops incorporeal undead cold)
Sylvie (21)
Ebony (Song of Cleansing Light and general buffing)
Balyss (Turn undead focused, moon blade, lots of healing and spell charges to devote to it.)
Simmer (Immune to negative energy and level drain)
Rosa (Immune to basically every nasty undead trick, can boost her touch AC to around the Master's with Armor of God, has protection devotion)
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

How about bringing Rosa and either Hanna or Ebony?

Anastasia

One final note here, especially if you end up bringing any more than that. Feel free to select ones you'd like to control yourselves, if you'd like a more active role in battle. Up to you guys there.
<Afina> Forever.