News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Can Gae Ardaigh be reforged from Longspear+2, wounding to Longspear+1, wounding, valorous?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 17, 2012, 10:27:08 PM
Can Gae Ardaigh be reforged from Longspear+2, wounding to Longspear+1, wounding, valorous?

Can anyone recall if I've ruled on this sort of thing before? I swear I did but I can't find it offhand.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Quote from: Anastasia on September 18, 2012, 12:15:44 PM

Can anyone recall if I've ruled on this sort of thing before? I swear I did but I can't find it offhand.

Look at it this way, would you prefer if the +2 wounding was sold at full price and then the +1 wounding/valorous was built at 25% cost?

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: Athux

This series of books is written with a great deal of repetition and reinforcement. The entire writing style is highly ordered, as a preface explains this is desirable to better hold the often mutable lore of chaos.

Athux is the son of Graz'zt and a mortal woman lost to the mists of time. Fragments suggest that she was a blackguard of considerable power. Indeed, Athux himself is a powerful blackguard and enjoys the unholy blessings of evil. This extends to his body, and he revels in the same dark sensuality that Graz'zt does. He is as capable of seducing as slaying an opponent and will not hesitate to do either. He greatly enjoys despoiling what is pure and just, often going out of his way to do so. However, such adventures are not without a price. His one defeat came from a paladin who had taken vows of purity. Athux was smote terribly by a holy weapon of fey-feared iron and cast back into the Abyss, and since that day Athux recoils from similar weapons wielded by the pure.

Athux has proven able to survive in his father's court, making the needed alliances and siring his own bastard children to serve him. He has lead Graz'zt's armies on more than one occasion, often to great abyssal glory. (Here you note that the ahead is an addition, written in different ink) It is said that Athux desires his own realm, and indeed in the last decade has taken a the layer of Greenrot as his own. The impact this has had with his dark father is not known.

Athux wields Despoiler, an adamantine longsword that is said to be able to corrupt the purity of others. It is said he wears rings to protect himself from divinations and to enhance his own life force.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on September 18, 2012, 12:51:56 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on September 18, 2012, 12:15:44 PM

Look at it this way, would you prefer if the +2 wounding was sold at full price and then the +1 wounding/valorous was built at 25% cost?

Well yeah, but that's not what I'm really addressing. What I'm addressing is consistency with previous rulings - I wanna make sure I don't contradict myself.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: The Pale Mother

This series of books is written with a great deal of repetition and reinforcement. The entire writing style is highly ordered, as a preface explains this is desirable to better hold the often mutable lore of chaos.

Few texts survive that talk about The Pale Mother in any detail. She is better known as Pale Night in recent eons, a full Prince(ess) of the Abyss. Pale Night is wrapped in mystery and fading information, and ancient books of lore refer to lore ancient when they were first written. As such the veracity of these facts should be vigorously questioned by any serious inquisitor. Her origins are completely unknown, though she is generally assumed to be one of the ancient, forgotten obyriths. Her motives and desires are likewise unknown and considered by many to be unknowable.

Pale Night rules over Androlynne (a note says to see the appendix) and parts of the Endless Maze. She shares the Endless Maze with Baphomet and is said to have lived there before the Father of Minotaurs was born. Ancient lore often cites her as the mother of several powerful demons, such as Graz'zt or Demogorgon. Indeed, current research suggests she may be the oldest known being in the Abyss.

Pale Night carries no weapon and wears naught save for her shroud. The Shroud of Pale Night protects her as an absolute defense that cannot be overcome by mortal means. It is said that if her shroud is removed, the true form of Pale Night can be seen. Such a sight renders any who see it utterly and forever mad, the ultimate display of obyrith power.

Appendix

Recent time have brought change to the Pale Mother's holdings. Androlynne's eladrin prisoners were freed and the realm thrown into chaos. In time Androlynne was captured by the newly risen demon lord Zquujaj, who went on to greatly devastate Avernus in the Blood War. Zquujaj has taken Pale Night as a patron. As Pale Night's interest in the Blood War was low to non-existent before, there is great speculation to what her entry into this contest means.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: Sualax

Sualax is a study in contradictions. A goristro demon defeated by trickery ages ago and sealed away, his name was forgotten by all but the wisest. The conditions of his return are unclear, but what was once a massive, towering demon was now withered and lanky. He spoke with great charisma and wisdom, forsaking the normal role of the goristro. Indeed, Sualax quickly made a name for himself as a powerful wizard - the first and only goristro wizard. He now resides in the Charntome, a tower taller than a hundred goristros stacked up on one another. Since then he has been a wizard for hire, serving any mortal willing to accept his profane and vile demands.

While the details of Sualax's transformation are unknown, it is known that he greatly fears the loss of his intellect. He has mastered spells to shield his mind from damage. If overcame, it is said that any damage to his intellect is permanent and will cause him to be shorn of his wizardly powers for all time. The mere suggestion of means that would damage a target's intellect is enough to send Sualax into a murderous spell-rage, obliterating any and all who would suggest it.

Sualax carries no weapon, but he has six enchanted nose rings. One ring grants him the benefits of metamagic rods, a second wards him from magic and a third enables powerful counter-spelling. The abilities of the other three rings are not known. Sualax relies on spells that trap, disable or confuse his enemies. He avoids spells that cause direct physical harm except as a last resort. If pressed that far, Sualax will fall into a spell-rage, granting both his body and magic the berserk might of a barbarian's rage.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Afina has some spells that she hasn't used in like the last five levels. So I'm gonna ditch them and replace them with more useful/fun alternatives.

3rd level - Junglerazer swapped for Control Temperature (Fburn 92)
4th level - Metal Melt swapped for Orb of Fire (SpC 151)
5th leve - Toxic Weapon swapped for Ball Lightning (SpC 23)

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: Kina-ja

Kina-ja has an unusually well chronicled history, as she demands her every move be recorded by no less than six succubus biographers. The earliest information states that Kina-ja was a wildly successful succubus who earned promotion to the marilith caste. From there she took the Blood War by storm, winning several battles and amassing a force of demons to her banner. However, her true ire was never to the Hells but to the Realms Above.

Kina-ja claims to remember her mortal life, where she was a loyal servant of the deities of love and beauty, Sune and Sharess. According to her, she served loyally until her old age. Once she was aged, the goddesses turned their back on her and ordered her cast out of the faith. Kina-ja resisted and in this conflict was murdered. Cast into the Abyss for daring to question the will of the divine, Kina-ja was fully forsaken. This story is wholeheartedly rejected by Brightwater, who claim Kina-ja sold her soul for eternal youth and was murdered by a demon she summoned. The truth of this matter is disputed by both sides, though the fundamental nature of the Abyss suggests that Brightwater is more likely to be truthful.

As a result of this enmity, Kina-ja sought to entrap and slay both Sune and Sharess. It is of some interest that these rituals are recorded and yet utterly incomprehensible. Here details become fragmentary. By all reports Kina-ja managed to summon Sharess to the Abyss. What happened is unclear, but the end result is that the army of demons was decimated and Kina-ja utterly vanquished. It is said she ran screaming, all of her arms ripped off and tail split in twain from the claws of Sharess. Since that time, it is said that the maimed marilith hides in a dark corner of the Abyss, futilely trying to heal and restore her maimed body while plotting revenge.

Kina-ja wore many protecting piercings, rings and bangles. In addition, she wielded longswords of unholy power and the five elemental blasts.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Corwin on September 17, 2012, 09:44:59 PM
I'll show the book to Hanna and Priest to see if they have any insights. Balyss as well, if she's up to it.

I might be able to help.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 18, 2012, 03:25:51 PM
I'll show the book to Hanna and Priest to see if they have any insights. Balyss as well, if she's up to it.

I might be able to help.

I thought you didn't have any heal ranks either.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Mind, I'm fine with anyone who wants reading it! It just seemed from the write-up that someone with the actual skill would gain more insight from it.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 18, 2012, 03:59:14 PM
Mind, I'm fine with anyone who wants reading it! It just seemed from the write-up that someone with the actual skill would gain more insight from it.

Yeah, Heal ranks are required for that. More incoming in the next post.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Balyss has the chops to get through this with aid from Hanna and Priest. The knowledge within could be quite useful in constructing an advanced spell. Balyss has an idea now...she'll get back to you after some work.
<Afina> Forever.