Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

1. No to Improved Overchannel
2. You make a new one?
3. It's good for tough enemies, or just refocusing and not moving, then blasting away.
4. My items are limited. Ioun stones are my friend. Can ioun stones be improved?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 12:11:36 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 09, 2015, 12:05:45 AM
Oh, Merc reminded me again to ask about Faerie Dragon racial/class benefits, so that, too.

How so?

When I asked him what Faerie Dragon gets (racial bonuses, racial hit die, anything in particular), Iddy doesn't know what they are!

All he has is the original level 8 character sheet he'd done for B4 as a backup character.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Merc on December 09, 2015, 12:28:57 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 12:11:36 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 09, 2015, 12:05:45 AM
Oh, Merc reminded me again to ask about Faerie Dragon racial/class benefits, so that, too.

How so?

When I asked him what Faerie Dragon gets (racial bonuses, racial hit die, anything in particular), Iddy doesn't know what they are!

All he has is the original level 8 character sheet he'd done for B4 as a backup character.

Yeah. This is more in-depth for what he asked me, and I couldn't really remember what you'd said about it, since it was way back in June and I'd cleared my IRC logs since then.

<Merc> I have no idea what a faerie dragon's stat modifiers would be from those then.
<Merc> If you consider that you'd have two +1 bonuses from level 4 and 8, and possibly one or two stat boosters from gear.
> +1 level point to Int, +1 level point into Cha, +2 item to Int, +2 item to Cha
> I.. Don't think I got stat mods from FD.
<Merc> Which seems strange to me!
<Merc> Because that's what I would say from those boosts!
> Something to ask Dune another day. Sleep now.
<Merc> And if so, faerie dragon's pretty crappy for an LA+8 with no stat boosts!
> Thanks for the help.
<Merc> but yeah, hopefully faerie dragon gets some boosts
<Merc> I can't picture LA+8 with no stat boosters.
> I think that has something to do with him making it 8 HD.
<Merc> You need to confirm what exactly faerie dragon's stats/LA/RHD/abilities are. I know I said RHD only gives health, but I forgot you pick up saves/bab/feats from it too (feats won't matter since gestalt, you pick them up on beguiler side, but the BAB/saves could matter)
<Merc> dragons get d12 hit die, good BAB and good all saves. If faerie dragon is LA+0 with 8RHD, you'd have 8d12 HP, BAB+8, and all saves at +6. Which isn't bad and hopefully combined with the faerie dragon abilities is what makes up for not having stat modifiers (presumably, unless that was an error).
<Merc> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#dragonType
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Merc

I'd forgotten the SLA's back then as well, which you -do- have in your character sheet. So there's those.

Just wasn't sure if there was anything more to the race than those and no idea how racial levels for it worked when you asked about taking those versus classes.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on December 09, 2015, 12:16:56 AM
2. You make a new one?
3. It's good for tough enemies, or just refocusing and not moving, then blasting away.
4. My items are limited. Ioun stones are my friend. Can ioun stones be improved?

I may if you want more epic feat options. Do you?

Ioun stones can be improved. This came up earlier in B3, as the insight bonus to AC ioun stone was improved by a few people. Ioun stones are essentially magic items with an x2 price modifier. Some examples, the first has the math in a spoiler box.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1049233/topicseen.html#msg1049233
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1045882/topicseen.html#msg1045882

How each one can be improved depends on what you're trying to do. If it's something provided in the SRD, use that as guidance. If not, talk to me and we'll figure something out.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

QuoteI may if you want more epic feat options. Do you?

Wut. Wait. In response to the psicrystal? No, that was sort of sarcasm. I guess. Psicrystal breaks, you make a new one. It's essentially copying a portion of your personality into a crystal infused with psionic energy. I don't think it really has enough utility to make it into an epic feat.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on December 09, 2015, 12:50:38 AM

Wut. Wait. In response to the psicrystal? No, that was sort of sarcasm. I guess. Psicrystal breaks, you make a new one. It's essentially copying a portion of your personality into a crystal infused with psionic energy. I don't think it really has enough utility to make it into an epic feat.

I thought you meant in regards to improved overchannel. Whoops, disregard that. Crossed wires.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 12:56:24 AM
Quote from: Yuthirin on December 09, 2015, 12:50:38 AM

I thought you meant in regards to improved overchannel. Whoops, disregard that. Crossed wires.

We'll see how it goes. Need to restructure, probably gonna remove Mindsight and grab a different epic feat instead.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 12:44:50 AM
2. You make a new one?

Ioun stones can be improved. This came up earlier in B3, as the insight bonus to AC ioun stone was improved by a few people. Ioun stones are essentially magic items with an x2 price modifier. Some examples, the first has the math in a spoiler box.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1049233/topicseen.html#msg1049233
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1045882/topicseen.html#msg1045882

How each one can be improved depends on what you're trying to do. If it's something provided in the SRD, use that as guidance. If not, talk to me and we'll figure something out.

On this note, I have an Orange Ioun Stone. What'd be the cost to up the CL bonus it gives?

Anastasia

Iddy sheet audit time.

1. Technically you couldn't take prestige bard at level 21 (which your order of classes suggests), as you're already taking a PrC on the other side. However, 22 and 23 are open, so this is unimportant.
2. Your type is dragon, not faerie dragon. Your -race- is faerie dragon, but type isn't the same thing.
3. Should probably include the bonus hit points from your con booster in the spoiler block with hit point calculations. Hit points are correct, though.
4. BAB and AC means you won't be seeing the front lines if you can help it, ever.  AC 18against the sort of foes Aurora faces means a short and bloody death followed by another !rollchar. Got nay defensive tricks or means beyond that? Edit: On review, your AC is just off. No dex bonus and the bonus from your chain shirt is wrong. This should be higher.
5. Assume the DC of your breath weapons is 10 + 1/2 your hit dice + your Constitution modifier. That would be DC 27.
6. Silent and still spell are metamagic bonus feats from beguiler, include those in feats. Likewise with scribe scroll from wizard.
7. Your mithral chain shirt's AC bonus should be 9. 4 base and 5 from being +5 armor.
8. Note that MIC items have a price multiplier from houserules. To quote:

QuoteThe Magic Item Compendium uses a different pricing scheme for magic items than the SRD standard. As such many items are under priced, I may impose price increases depending on the item. Ask me about MIC items before you buy them. Most markups are about 150% to 200% of the MIC price.

So ask me on those.
9. No on the ring of anticipation. Rerolls/dual rules generally don't get used in this campaign. One part style and one part not making epic combat even more complex.
10. No spells for wizard yet? Also, I don't see your advanced learning choices anywhere.
11. In your own words, what does the build do and how does it come together?
12. Isn't there an ID ability as a capstone to one of those fear classes? That would need to be changed.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 09, 2015, 01:09:39 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 12:44:50 AM
2. You make a new one?

On this note, I have an Orange Ioun Stone. What'd be the cost to up the CL bonus it gives?

Let me get back to you on that. I need to sit down and figure out the math for it. I think I did before but I don't have it immediately handy. Remind me tomorrow if I haven't posted by then.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 01:17:32 AM
1. Technically you couldn't take prestige bard at level 21 (which your order of classes suggests), as you're already taking a PrC on the other side. However, 22 and 23 are open, so this is unimportant.

Fixed the order just cause I want it as right as possible.

2. Your type is dragon, not faerie dragon. Your -race- is faerie dragon, but type isn't the same thing.
Fixed.

3. Should probably include the bonus hit points from your con booster in the spoiler block with hit point calculations. Hit points are correct, though.
Added.

4. BAB and AC means you won't be seeing the front lines if you can help it, ever.  AC 18against the sort of foes Aurora faces means a short and bloody death followed by another !rollchar. Got nay defensive tricks or means beyond that? Edit: On review, your AC is just off. No dex bonus and the bonus from your chain shirt is wrong. This should be higher.
Corrected. 25 AC.

5. Assume the DC of your breath weapons is 10 + 1/2 your hit dice + your Constitution modifier. That would be DC 27.
I misunderstood what it meant by racial hit dice. I thought, in this case, it meant the number of hit die in racial class I took. Updated to 27.

6. Silent and still spell are metamagic bonus feats from beguiler, include those in feats. Likewise with scribe scroll from wizard.
Moved them to correct place, deleted them from Class Features.

7. Your mithral chain shirt's AC bonus should be 9. 4 base and 5 from being +5 armor.
Fixed.

8. Note that MIC items have a price multiplier from houserules. To quote:

QuoteThe Magic Item Compendium uses a different pricing scheme for magic items than the SRD standard. As such many items are under priced, I may impose price increases depending on the item. Ask me about MIC items before you buy them. Most markups are about 150% to 200% of the MIC price.

So ask me on those.
9. No on the ring of anticipation. Rerolls/dual rules generally don't get used in this campaign. One part style and one part not making epic combat even more complex.
Removed. Will be replaced soon. I think the Shirt of Wraith Stalking and Gloves of the Starry Sky may be from MiC, too.

10. No spells for wizard yet? Also, I don't see your advanced learning choices anywhere.
I haven't picked spells yet. I was going to track that in the spells thread for easier updating. I haven't looked at Advanced Learning options just yet, was going to ask for suggestions or just pick from the Beguiler's Handbook.

11. In your own words, what does the build do and how does it come together?
I'm trying to build a creature that can essentially create phantasms and fear effects. With the Fear Immunity and Phantasmal Nightmare stuff from Nightmare Spinner, along with the ability to pop fear descriptor on spells from Dread Witch, I'm hoping I can make things debuffed via that, along with a bit of field control from stuff like Phantasmal Strangler.

Also a 3 foot dragon nightmare engine is just a really nice mental image.

12. Isn't there an ID ability as a capstone to one of those fear classes? That would need to be changed.
Yes, Nightmare Spinner's Deadly Nightmare ability. We talked about this before and you said 'Panicked is already a pretty solid effect.' or something to that effect.

Iron Dragoon

So Cloaked Casting. I'm trying to find ways of triggering it. There's a feat I'm considering taking called Mastery of Twisted Shadow. Free Blur when I cast an Illusion. Would the concealment it grants allow me to make hide checks, and thus trigger Cloaked Casting?

Alternatively, what're the best ways of triggering it outside of feinting? Since my ability to survive close-in are.. not fantastic.

Yuthirin

Gonna be fiddling with gear to improve survivability. Just FYI. Also feats. Dropping Mindsight. I think I originally took it for the novelty.

Anastasia

Pasting this here so I get to it later. For reference, I'd rather you ask me questions in nagging. Especially when I'm busy and backed up like this, since it's easy to lose track of one thing amid 4 or 5 others.

<Yuthirin> Epic PP are automatic?
<Yuthirin> or need Epic Manifesting to activate?
> One sec.
> Just deep in Iddy's sheet.
<Yuthirin> reply me on it on the board pls, going to bed
<Afina> Forever.