News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

Doesn't actually state that they're spells from the class. A beguiler could theoretically have spells from multiple classes and have CC apply to all of them if you read that line a different way.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

What Yuth said. The way it's written isn't automatically referring to beguiler spells. That being said, I think the intent is clear based on the article here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060711a . The problem is that the book nor the errata never address this, this is merely an add on in an article analyzing beguilers. So it really is a DM judgment call.

I'll rule you can for now. If this proves broken or otherwise abusive, I'll change that ruling in the future.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Will post tonight. Getting too tricky to do over a phone.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Read yesterday's IRC log and one line jumped out at me.

<Afina> But if you wanna go big she can make a stone collosus for 190k.

It's best not to get too attached to anything in the ELH as written, since I basically rewrite anything in it. If you're seriously interested in one, tell me and I'll take a look at them.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Eh, not really, collosi aren't very efficient at being anything besides walls of hp. Mithral and adamantine golems are a better prospect among the epic stuff.

Iron Dragoon

We just need to give Aurora At-Will improved invisibility.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on December 19, 2015, 01:09:16 PM
Eh, not really, collosi aren't very efficient at being anything besides walls of hp. Mithral and adamantine golems are a better prospect among the epic stuff.

The antimagic aura's pretty nice, plus they have built in Intelligence scores, so no need to awaken them. At least as written, I've always meant to redo them one day. The Calamity over in Rules and Setting is an extreme example of the archetype, I recall it may have sprung from some thoughts along those lines.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Dune, does dimensional lock prevent the usage of bags of holding/portable holes?

Afina can take 10 for 45 on arcana for this question, 'cause it might lead to a useful emergency escape button if anyone ends up in a situation like Muirfinn and Lief again.

Anastasia

Good question and one that I don't recall coming up before. I'm going to rule that it does stop them from being used.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Houserules update for that, it's in misc rulings.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Some questions for Dune:
1. Is it possible to upgrade Ithea's gate bracelet from 1/day up to 3/day? What about increasing the CL of the gate cast from CL 17? If yes, what are the cost associated?

2. I sent you an IRC PM a while back that probably got lost in the retail holiday madness: Regarding permanency, I've read the Custom Material post on it, but I wanted to ask about Energy Immunity (Spell Compendium) & Mind Blank (PHB) being valid targets or not. As a back-up, Blindsight as well (Magic of Faerun).

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on December 22, 2015, 08:58:47 PM
Some questions for Dune:
1. Is it possible to upgrade Ithea's gate bracelet from 1/day up to 3/day? What about increasing the CL of the gate cast from CL 17? If yes, what are the cost associated?

I believe the bracelet was made as a custom item. (Check loot for me.) Assuming so, you could upgrade it as normal. Pay the price difference between the current item and the boosted item.

Quote2. I sent you an IRC PM a while back that probably got lost in the retail holiday madness: Regarding permanency, I've read the Custom Material post on it, but I wanted to ask about Energy Immunity (Spell Compendium) & Mind Blank (PHB) being valid targets or not. As a back-up, Blindsight as well (Magic of Faerun).

No and no. No Energy Immunity since it's bumped to a 10th level spell (see houserules) and would run afoul of the epic magic item clause. The other is because it's just too obvious to make Mind Blank permanent on everyone if I allow that and be way cheaper than an item of permanent Mind Blank.

Regardless, at level 23? Permanent Mind Blank would inflict a -1 penalty to Constitution and Energy Immunity would inflict a -7 penalty.

Blindsight...If I recall, isn't that a spell Jaela has permanent? It's also updated in the SC. Care to chip in here, Jaela?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

I took Decerebrate as a 7th level power and didn't really think to clear it with you. Before I wind up using it, I'm assuming the death effect would be removed? Would it just render the subject comatose then?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.