Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 25, 2016, 12:35:06 AM
Yes, bed rest will actually kill her. Since our knowledge suggests this would work and Lathander and Mystra agree, I'm for it. I agree that we should talk to Seira and tried via Tepen, but she wouldn't take his call. Maybe if Afina or Surraruthru tried a Commune? Alternately, it was suggested Simmer might go somewhere for the duration of the cloud castle thing, so if she can go to the Cauldron to talk to someone Kascha can probably hang in there for a few hours until we hear back from her.

This is simply a limitation of the spell. You get the deity you worship.

QuoteYou contact your deity—or agents thereof —and ask questions that can be answered by a simple yes or no.

Simmer could run diplomacy there if you like, certainly.

Surraruthru technically couldn't, since he follows that one dragon deity and has arcane disciple for him. A commune he cast would go to him instead. Contact other plane a more diverse range of choices, but comes with its own drawbacks.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

To be clear, a simple yes/no on Simmer diplomacy is desired.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Re: Epic beguiler casting. A beguiler knows all of his spells automatically, but as epic spells are a work in progress, this presents problems. What I'm going to do is this:

1. Skim epic spells for 10th-11th (all that's needed at the sec) and grab spells that fit.
2. Allow spells to be added as they're made.

It's admittedly a bit of a crude fix, but it's the most reasonable way to sort this that I can think of.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Afina: 3 and 4.
Moore: 4.
Ithea: 1 and 3.
Calleigh: 3.
Surraruthru: 3.
Jaela: 4 with a reserve of 2 and 5.

Okay, I'm going to make some executive decisions here and split y'all up. Having all six of you with Kascha wouldn't be anything but a mess due to differing schedules and paces. Also, Calleigh and Surraruthru have hooks to that, and as they're new, hooks are in short demand for them still.

The topics will be as follows:

Kascha topic: Ithea, Calleigh, Surraruthru.
Aurora status then personal things: Afina, Moore, Jaela. This topic will likely splinter further in time as Jaela goes to do one thing and the pixies another.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

We're basically waiting on Merc here, Yuth.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on January 26, 2016, 03:46:38 PM
We're basically waiting on Merc here, Yuth.
Working! I'll see if I can toss a post in but if not it'll be just before Neph's game.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

That's cool, glad you got the hours back.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Is there any custom material y'all are waiting on for me?

Iddy, as far as Heighten Spell goes, just replace one of those class metamagics for it, like I said you could.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on January 27, 2016, 03:51:22 PM
Is there any custom material y'all are waiting on for me?

Iddy, as far as Heighten Spell goes, just replace one of those class metamagics for it, like I said you could.

Done.

Only other thing I wanted to do was work on those spells and Epic Beguiler stuff, but I think you're already doing the latter.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

Only thing is approval for this one.

Inspire Great Metamagic
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Bard 6
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 3 rounds

When you cast this spell, your next use of inspire greatness can be augmented in one of two ways. You may choose to give them the effects of both maximize and empower spell feats or both the quicken and extend metamagic effects. Both of these effects have no effect on the spell level.

These bonuses are in addition to the normal benefits of inspire greatness. If you do not inspire greatness before the spell's duration expires, the effects are lost.

I changed the second set to quicken and extend but I don't want to create some weird loophole where someone can always have some buff due to it.

Iron Dragoon

So as a really, really rough starting point to deal with the skewed saves, I came up with the following (I just used Surraruthru's name in stuff for a name):

Surraruthru's Intimidation: Surraruthru adds 1/2 of his ranks over 20 in Intimidate to the DC of his spells with the Mind-Affecting descriptor. The same is true for spells with the Fear Descriptor.

I think that are feats that do similar things as above, but I'm not exactly well versed in feats or writing new ones.

Surraruthru's Creeping Manipulation: Surraruthru imposes a -2 penalty to the save of the target of his spells if that target has already resisted a previous spell. This penalty can be imposed up to four times per target, for a total of a -8 penalty.

The above is built off of the same concept as Unsettling Enchantment, which gives a penalty to attacks and AC even on a successful save.

I also came up with a modification to the spell list as an example.

Power Word Panic
Spoiler: ShowHide

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Beguiler 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You utter a single word of power that instills Panic one creature of your choice, whether the creature can hear the word or not, with a -8 penalty to their save. Any creature that currently has 250 HP or more is unaffected by Power Word Panic.

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Outsiders familiars and death.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Todo list while resting.

1. Kascha's alternate form.
2. Moore's metamagic spell.
3. Iddy spell stuff.
4. Outsider familiars and death.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kascha's new alternate form is in the spoiler block. This has been hinted at all game and in fact traces back to B1. Seira's choice to resurrect her after thousands of years had a great impact on her, forever changing her destiny and meaning. Let's look the ways this has been hinted at.

1. Her true name, Phoenica. The party only found this out during this, as a true name is very rarely disclosed. It can be used against the outsider to bind them, make them serve and all sorts of nastiness.

2. Phoenix symbolism. This has been alluded to a few times. The most salient example is this cryptic clue from 27:

QuoteRise high with the Phoenix of the Princess or gain power with the Scion of Destruction, but never both.

As Seira's the Dragon Princess, the allegory's fairly direct. Marianne from B2's the other one, if it wasn't clear to you. As Marianne's past life was responsible for wiping out the Lost Eastlands (and killing Kascha when she was a mortal), the two meeting would be ugly and most likely end up with one of them dead. But I digress.

3. Spell selection. Let's look at Kascha's damaging spells. Most deal fire damage or are holy magic (righteous smite, gotten through a class feature), which is right up a phoenix's alley. What's more, she's taken mass heal as another bonus spell. This is normally something I discourage or flat disallow, but I let Kascha take it. It's a nod to this symbolism, one unmentioned but obvious when pointed out.

There's been a lot of subtle symbology for Kascha that I've been laying out all game. It may not have ever gone any farther than symbolism, but I have been carefully laying out this theme.

[spoiler]Alternate Form (Su)

Kascha can shift between her humanoid and phoenix forms as a standard action. In phoenix form, she cannot cast spells, but she gains the following abilities. Her size becomes Huge while in phoenix form. Kascha remains in her chosen form until she chooses to assume the other one. Her forms cannot be dispelled, nor does she revert to a particular form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals both forms simultaneously.

Natural Attacks (Ex)

Kascha has two claw attacks that serve as her primary natural attack. She can make a bite attack and a tail slap as secondary natural attacks.

Flaming Body (Su)

Kascha deals an extra 3d6 points of fire damage with her natural attacks. Creatures that strike Kascha with melee attacks suffer the same damage per strike, while those that grapple Kascha take 10d6 fire damage per round.

Phoenix Cry (Su)

As a full round action, Kascha can emit a cry that causes a channel energy (positive) effect on all creatures within 60ft. Treat Kascha as a cleric of her level to determine the damage and save DC. (11d6; DC 32). Kascha is healed by her phoenix cry, unlike a cleric channeling energy. Additionally, creatures that have been dead one round or less are affected by her cry. If this healing would restore them to 0 or greater hit points, they are restored to life.

The save DC includes a +4 racial bonus.
<Afina> Forever.