News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

1. Kascha's alternate form.

Done.

2. Moore's metamagic spell.

On reflection and running some tests, I don't think this spell is a good idea right now. A class feature that grants metamagic is possible, but I'm going to nix this spell.

3. Iddy spell stuff.

Iddy, did you finish what you were doing here? I was waiting on you.

4. Outsider familiars and death.

QuoteA slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs.

From the SRD. So I'm going to play it like this: A dead outsider familiar reforms as normal. If it dies on its home plane, it's dead and gone. Otherwise, it reforms as normal for its species and can be retrieved by the caster. The familiar is still bound by any planar bans as a result of the death. A familiar that dies on the caster's home plane naturally poses a serious problem for the caster.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Dune, am I still kosher to use Inspire Great spells?

Spoiler: ShowHide
Inspire Great Spells
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Bard 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 3 rounds

When you cast this spell, your next use of inspire greatness can be augmented in one of two ways. You may choose to give them a +1 bonus to the save DC of any spells they cast for the duration of inspire greatness or their next spell is affected by the widen spell or extend spell metamagics without any change in casting time or spell level.

These bonuses are in addition to the normal benefits of inspire greatness. If you do not inspire greatness before the spell's duration expires, the effects are lost.

Anastasia

We'll try that one for now, it's a lot less potentially broken and see how it balances.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

From houserules:

1/31/16: Added a ruling on moment of prescience to misc rulings.

Basically reminding and reaffirming how I read moment of prescience and skill checks. In short, the way I read it means that the skills part only applies to opposed skill checks.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Can an existing weapon/armour be reforged to take advantage of epic crafting while retaining its magical enhancements?

Anastasia

RAW no. However, everyone swapping armors just to gain these advantages isn't optimal, either. Let me think about it, as I'd rather not have everyone cycle armor just 'cause they want to take advantage of these.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Oh yes, Tannin's back. This means he's available for reports, assuming he isn't used in the coming offensive action.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, let's do it like this.

You can readjust a suit of armor, though it invokes a -20 penalty to the roll. Seem reasonable or too high/too low?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Same for weapons?

Bear in mind it's always more cost effective to sell gear and then use the money to fund discounted crafting. We generally haven't abused this but right now's a good time to sell.

Corwin

Let's readjust without a penalty? It can be a symbolic monetary sum, say 10%.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

I don't really have any problem with readjusting mechanically, so long as it's not free/at will. But eh, we'll roll with it for now, see how it goes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, assuming armor's fair game, let's look at who would want what.

Adrian has a mithral breastplate+5, heavy fortification. He want improved armor bonus, as his Dex mod is +5 and his armor allows that much.

Dana has lightblood full plate+10, nimbleness. She has three points of Dex being unused, so boosting that up would help. She has the deflective armor feat, so the touch AC add on isn't needed. Her armor's done with straight + bonuses from magic, so boosting her max Dex and eventually armor bonus with this makes sense.

Balyss is more or less in the same boat as Dana. Note that her armor already has the AC to touch AC thing, it would count as already being applied and count against whatever armor improvements are made.

Morniel in theory, but he's rarely involved in combat.

Mirajane could use more max Dex.

Rosa has mithral Full Plate+5, nimbleness and heavy fortification. She has 5 points of Dex unused, the improvement is obvious.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Added two new epic feats to the epic rules thread. These were from Abigor and Dana will likely use them.

Epic Heavy Armor Optimization [Epic]
Prerequisite: Greater Heavy Armor Optimization, con 19
Benefit: When you are wearing heavy armor, lessen the armor check penalty of the armor by 4 and increase the armor bonus by 3. Both of these effects stack with the benefit of the Heavy Armor Optimization and Greater Heavy Armor Optimization feats, for a total lessening of the armor check penalty by 7 and a total increase to the armor bonus of 5.

Armor Mastery [Epic]
Prerequisite: Heavy Armor Optimization, dex 15
Benefit: When you are wearing heavy armor, raise the maximum dexterity bonus of the armor by 3.
Special: You may select this feat more than once. Its benefits stack.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Updated a few build charts. Those will be updated as time and energy permits.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on January 31, 2016, 11:26:08 AM
3. Iddy spell stuff.

Iddy, did you finish what you were doing here? I was waiting on you.

I posted these three things. I was waiting for input from you to expand on whichever route you liked best, or your alternative.

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 28, 2016, 03:04:30 PM
So as a really, really rough starting point to deal with the skewed saves, I came up with the following (I just used Surraruthru's name in stuff for a name):

Surraruthru's Intimidation: Surraruthru adds 1/2 of his ranks over 20 in Intimidate to the DC of his spells with the Mind-Affecting descriptor. The same is true for spells with the Fear Descriptor.

I think that are feats that do similar things as above, but I'm not exactly well versed in feats or writing new ones.

Surraruthru's Creeping Manipulation: Surraruthru imposes a -2 penalty to the save of the target of his spells if that target has already resisted a previous spell. This penalty can be imposed up to four times per target, for a total of a -8 penalty.

The above is built off of the same concept as Unsettling Enchantment, which gives a penalty to attacks and AC even on a successful save.

I also came up with a modification to the spell list as an example.

Power Word Panic
Spoiler: ShowHide

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Beguiler 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You utter a single word of power that instills Panic one creature of your choice, whether the creature can hear the word or not, with a -8 penalty to their save. Any creature that currently has 250 HP or more is unaffected by Power Word Panic.

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.