News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on February 02, 2016, 01:07:26 PMSurraruthru's Intimidation: Surraruthru adds 1/2 of his ranks over 20 in Intimidate to the DC of his spells with the Mind-Affecting descriptor. The same is true for spells with the Fear Descriptor.

I think that are feats that do similar things as above, but I'm not exactly well versed in feats or writing new ones.

No, doesn't balance well as a feat or a class feature. It's not that the base idea is bad, it's that it provides a scaling DC boost. It's not good at level 21, but it's really solid by 30 and badly broken by level 40. In comparison, epic spell focus (which requires two spell focus feats) grants a +1 to save DCs. While epic spell focus is generally considered under powered, the point is that something that accelerates like that isn't balanced.

Feat Name [General]
Prerequisite: Intimidate 10 ranks
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to save DC of spells with the fear or mind-affecting descriptors.

A little stronger than spell focus, but I generally consider spell focus a bit underpowered.

QuoteSurraruthru's Creeping Manipulation: Surraruthru imposes a -2 penalty to the save of the target of his spells if that target has already resisted a previous spell. This penalty can be imposed up to four times per target, for a total of a -8 penalty.

The above is built off of the same concept as Unsettling Enchantment, which gives a penalty to attacks and AC even on a successful save.

Creeping Manipulation [General]
Prerequisite: Spell Focus (Enchantment)
Benefit: When a target succeeds on a saving throw against a spell with the mind-affecting descriptor, they suffer a -2 penalty to saves for 1 round. If you cast another mind-affecting spell on the target the next round and they succeed on the saving throw, the penalty is extended for another round and increases by 2 to -4. This can go up to a maximum of -8.

This...hm. Constantly pelting a target requires input and spell slots, which may be better balanced than the above. I'd tentatively allow this one and see how it balances out.

QuoteI also came up with a modification to the spell list as an example.

Power Word Panic
[spoiler]
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Beguiler 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You utter a single word of power that instills Panic one creature of your choice, whether the creature can hear the word or not, with a -8 penalty to their save. Any creature that currently has 250 HP or more is unaffected by Power Word Panic.

Iddy, you see the saving throw line there? Yeah, none. Power words don't usually alow saves, they work off SR and using hit points to determine if the spell works or not.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Alrighty, the plan is to trade Unsettling Enchantment for Creeping Manipulation and Faerie Dragon's Guile for Extend Spell, then. Extend Spell is in prep for Mastery of Faerie Enchantment.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Dune, I want to read the tower shield book. Please post it~
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Epic weapon/armor upgrade wishlist~

Gae Bolg MkIII: Anarchic Evil Outsider Bane Lawful Outsider Bane Sacred Shiftsilver Longspear +1 Improved Design x4, 1d8 base -> 1d10 -> 1d12 -> 2d6 -> 2d8 DC80.

Gae Dioltas MkIV: Valorous Mighty Smiting Evil Outsider Bane Shiftsilver Lance +1 Improved Critical Multiplier x1, x3 base -> x4 DC60.

Gae Trocaire MkII: Merciful Transmuting Longspear +1 Improved Damage Type x2, Piercing base -> Piercing/Bludgeoning/Slashing DC60.

Gae Dearg MkIV: Divine Wrath Undead Bane Shiftsilver Longspear +1 Improved Design x4, 1d8 base -> 1d10 -> 1d12 -> 2d6 -> 2d8 DC80.

Magic-Eating Millennial Chainmail Ethereal DC60.

Brokion: Hide Armor+4. Max Dex +4 base -> Max Dex +10 DC80.

Astral Driftmetal Full Plate +1 of Displacement and Nimbleness; Nimbleness reduces ACP by 2 and increases max dex by 1.  Max Dex +2 base -> Max Dex +6 DC60.

(Millennial Chainmail, Gae Bolg and Gae Dearg are the ones I plan on using this fight.)
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

I have a question about Surge of Fortune (complete champion, 129)

The text says "At any point before the spell expires, you can channel some of its remaining power into a single instant of perfect fortune as an immediate action. The result of the next attack roll, saving throw, skill check, ability check, or spell penetration check you attempt is treated as a natural 20, as long as it occurs within 1 round of the time you invoked this power." Does this mean you have to perform the action within 1 round of actually casting the spell, or does it mean you declare you're using it at some point during the duration of the spell, then use it to discharge it on that next ability?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on February 03, 2016, 11:04:47 AM
I have a question about Surge of Fortune (complete champion, 129)

The text says "At any point before the spell expires, you can channel some of its remaining power into a single instant of perfect fortune as an immediate action. The result of the next attack roll, saving throw, skill check, ability check, or spell penetration check you attempt is treated as a natural 20, as long as it occurs within 1 round of the time you invoked this power." Does this mean you have to perform the action within 1 round of actually casting the spell, or does it mean you declare you're using it at some point during the duration of the spell, then use it to discharge it on that next ability?

> Hey Neph, when did you add Surge of Fortune to your spell list?
<Nephrite> At some point during my leveling process.
<Nephrite> Yeah it would've been... 21?
<Nephrite> Did I miss it on the banned spell list?
> No, it's not on there. I think it was addressed waaaaaay back in B1 and just never made it on there. More my fault since I didn't do that sheet audit you asked for.
> Lemme add it to that.
<Rin> What does it do?
<Nephrite> You can use it to get a natural 20 to more or less anything you want.
<Nephrite> I think you have to declare you're using it for that and then do it within 1 round of it.
<Nephrite> So you can't just save it for a rainy day.
> Yeah. It's one of those spells that just makes a headache, since who doesn't want a natural 20 to finish things off when stacking up boosters? Also I don't want natural 20s to be the sort of thing you can just cause to happen at will, since they have various auto-success results in cases.

So that's added to houserules. My bad.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Switched it for Life's Grace. No harm no foul.

Nephrite

While you're here though, how about Spiritual Advisor? (CC, 127), it allows you to retry a previously failed knowledge check.

Anastasia

One sec on that, Neph.

---

People, especially those of you with commanding rank, feel free to declare what buffs should be cast in prep and by who. The faster we get things rolling through prep, the better. At worst if you go way over on something I'll deal with it in my next post. In particular, when I say everyone's going to want x spell, feel free to declare that gets done on Aurora. You have the resources and authority to do so. Back and forths for posting prep can be annoyingly slow, so I'd rather you be more expansive in your reach here.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Also, from the department of delegation: If you're running an NPC in combat, I'd like it if you kept track of their spoiler block for this adventure. Easier this way and lessens my heavy work load for this.

If you are running one, quote this so that I know you saw this and know what's up.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on February 04, 2016, 08:14:19 PM
Also, from the department of delegation: If you're running an NPC in combat, I'd like it if you kept track of their spoiler block for this adventure. Easier this way and lessens my heavy work load for this.

If you are running one, quote this so that I know you saw this and know what's up.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Yuthirin

Seeing as a psicrystal does not heal over time, would I have found someone able to have it repaired on the Aurora?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 04, 2016, 08:55:28 PM
Seeing as a psicrystal does not heal over time, would I have found someone able to have it repaired on the Aurora?

How do you repair one?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Someone who can cast Mending or some other spell, I would assume. It's a very simple construct.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

Isn't it a construct? Wouldn't Afina be able to handle that? Alternatively, there's the Repair X Damage spells which any of the wizards should be able to pull off.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.