News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 22, 2016, 12:20:32 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 21, 2016, 05:33:21 PM
3. The Prophecy Keepers are a group who reside in Venya and oppose the efforts of chaos (primarily slaad) to render prophecies null and void. They have a grand fortress carved into the mountainside; however, it can only be found by those prophesied to do so.

Someone should tell these guys about 27.

That's just mean. What did they ever do to you?!
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

So I made a mistake with Mei's eldritch glaive. I thought that using it was a standard action and noted so in the ability's text. WRONG. Its a full round action. She shouldn't have been able to attack Canderella that many times to fully heal her. It's done and I'd rather not do longer retcons with how the post format works, so I'm going to chalk this one up to an honest mistake.

At least I won't make that one again.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

So Hell's plan for Vacuum was this.

1. Evacuate all non-expendable resources that can be evacuated. Lixer's no fool and why he normally wouldn't react like this, Aurora's an extraordinary threat. The possibility of a serious reprisal here, lead by a direct assault by Aurora itself, was considered high. As Castle Crumbling proved, mere hostile terrain isn't going to stop an assault from Aurora. Lixer came to the conclusion Aurora may well favor Vacuum on the grounds its a relatively accessible target. Of the targets you know about, Lixer considered this one by far the most vulnerable.

2. Leave sufficient resources to slow a full assault and possibly defeat a lesser attack (such as by a party rather than a full fortress attack). If Aurora attacks full out, that buys enough time for reinforcements and a counter attack on Aurora proper. If it's a smaller attack, this plan works all the better. Clearly, something happened to render this phase of it null and void. What precisely that is may or may not be the other concurrent attacks.

3. In general, bait the attack in. If it's a smaller group, use the Nessians to pincer them and slaughter. If it's a bigger attack, use them to stiffen the defense. In general it's a question of buying time and weakening the assault for the planned coup de grace. Letting them slowly gain ground while inflicting losses and making Aurora spend resources was the plan.

4. Should this not work out for whatever reason, the entire crypt was considered expendable. Any of Aurora's heroes caught in a sudden planar rift, fueled by the life force of its stalwart defenders, would be maimed and cast about into the planes. Lixer wasn't quite sure what would happen if the rift hit Aurora itself - Medi's good enough that he had to conclude even that may not be sufficient - but there's a reasonable chance it would at least inflict considerable damage.

5. Even if all else fails, Lixer's sent countless empty ghosts out into Vacuum. That's probably part of a plan as well, though as to what is anyone's guess.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

So Lixer pretends it all went according to plan, even as 'plan' basically means 'everyone on my side including my epic Nessians dies'. I can get behind Lixer's plans.

Now if only they just died and dropped exciting loot....
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

A proper devil has a plan, even a plan for when his other plans go in a negative direction. After all, the best planners win no matter the result. It may just not be a goal that directly impacts Aurora.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I meant for this to happen!"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2016, 10:19:55 AM
"I meant for this to happen!"

Precisely, or at least you planned from it and there's an upside.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

His dad must be so proud.

"You failed completely, just like you planned."
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Internet is live at home, will update some things once i get there.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 26, 2016, 06:53:50 PM
Internet is live at home, will update some things once i get there.

Congratulations!
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm going to post in the Gehenna thread tomorrow. I don't have the not-sleepy energy to sort out the beginning of what's going to be a gigantic, crazy melee with tons of stuff going on.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Todo: Sort out cunning brilliance and decide which ones Sylvie selects on a day to day basis. She has it but I usually don't bother since I never got around to sorting it out. So note to self tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Houserules updates

- Cunning brilliance and how I interpret it is added to classes.
- Added the following feat to feats.

Hunter's Insight [General]
Prerequisite: Favored Enemy, int 13
Benefit: You may apply your favored enemy bonus to Knowledge checks to identify such creatures and learn about their special powers and vulnerabilities. You may make these checks untrained, even if the DC is higher than 10.

It's from a statblock I haven't finished and may not finish for some time. The feat's not bad so I'm tossing it in here. It may be something someone grabs at a later time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Also, Merc's really mean.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I'm not saying I'm not, but what did I do to bring that on?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.