News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

I think it'd be fair to say that Moore would trust in Mount Celestia to guide him wherever he needed to go in that circumstance, but it's good to have the knowledge nonetheless.

Nephrite

Just for the record, I changed Ruin Delver's Fortune out for Shadow Conjuration. I also noticed I had a blank spell slot, so I added Air Walk since that's a thing that totally came up.

Nephrite

Also (man triple post) I have some questions about Spiritual Advisor (Complete Champion, p 127)

*It sounds like it summons some sort of spirit that you can effectively have a chat with. Can you actually ask it questions? Is that what leads to giving you the insight bonus on knowledge checks? I'd presume so, but wasn't sure if you could ask multiple types of questions and get multiple insight bonuses.
*I wasn't sure on the rerolling aspect, since you've generally banned that from other spells. I wanted to clarify on that.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on March 06, 2016, 08:49:06 PM
Also (man triple post) I have some questions about Spiritual Advisor (Complete Champion, p 127)

*It sounds like it summons some sort of spirit that you can effectively have a chat with. Can you actually ask it questions? Is that what leads to giving you the insight bonus on knowledge checks? I'd presume so, but wasn't sure if you could ask multiple types of questions and get multiple insight bonuses.
*I wasn't sure on the rerolling aspect, since you've generally banned that from other spells. I wanted to clarify on that.

Yes, the questions you ask and the answers to it represent the insight bonus to Knowledge checks. I'd largely handwave it as it's meant to be a purely mechanical bonus rather than something you have a serious back and forth with it.

Yes, no rerolls.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Today's todo list:

1. Work up Cresiel fully.
2. Look at how viable a 10 level War Weaver PrC would be. Design one if it is viable. If not, look into epic feats (maybe).
3. Fatesinger PrC.
4. Deal with Ruin Delver's Fortune.

Cresiel next. I'm playing with different approaches to something with War Weaver, I may go epic PrC instead of expanding the base PrC.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on March 07, 2016, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on March 06, 2016, 08:49:06 PM

Yes, the questions you ask and the answers to it represent the insight bonus to Knowledge checks. I'd largely handwave it as it's meant to be a purely mechanical bonus rather than something you have a serious back and forth with it.

Yes, no rerolls.

In that case, if you don't mind, I'm going to switch it to something else because I think that makes it not a great spell for the cost.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Cresiel's mostly done except for his spells, and those will take a little bit. So have a preview.

Hit Dice: 10d12+13d10+231+23 (504 hp)

Feats: Words of Creation(B), Power Attack(1), Mounted Combat(K2), Shield Specialization(Heavy Steel Shield)(3), Shield Ward(K5), Improved Initiative(6), Shieldmate(9), Improved Shieldmate(K10), Arch-Angel's Mystery(12), Toughness(15), Improved Flight(18)
Epic Feats: Epic Shieldmate(21)

Epic Shieldmate [Epic]
Prerequisite: Improved Shieldmate
Benefit: The shield bonus your shieldmate feat grants friendly adjacent creatures equals your shield bonus to armor class.

Cresiel casts as a 20th level cleric (caster level 21st).
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Query: If I create a new power through research or research an existing power to learn it, can I learn it immediately? Or does the Powers Known number listed in the Psion class progression represent a hard cap that cannot be surpassed except as explicitly stated otherwise in other class features?

Quote from: Excerpt From SRDAdding Powers
Psionic characters can learn new powers when they attain a new level. A psion can learn any power from the psion/wilder list and powers from his chosen discipline's list. A wilder can learn any power from the psion/wilder list. A psychic warrior can learn any power from the psychic warrior list.

Powers Gained at a New Level
Psions and other psionic characters perform a certain amount of personal meditation between adventures in an attempt to unlock latent mental abilities. Each time a psionic character attains a new level, he or she learns additional powers according to his class description. Psions, psychic warriors, and wilders learn new powers of their choice in this fashion. These powers represent abilities unlocked from latency. The powers must be of levels the characters can manifest.

Independent Research
A psion also can research a power independently, duplicating an existing power or creating an entirely new one. If characters are allowed to develop new powers, use these guidelines to handle the situation.

Any kind of manifester can create a new power. The research involved requires access to a retreat conducive to uninterrupted meditation. Research involves an expenditure of 200 XP per week and takes one week per level of the power. At the end of that time, the character makes a Psicraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that check succeeds, the character learns the new power if her research produced a viable power. If the check fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

> Ah, dune. I do have a quickish question.
> Tactical Teleport. Work with War Weaver?

See chat for spell link.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on March 08, 2016, 11:55:13 PM
Query: If I create a new power through research or research an existing power to learn it, can I learn it immediately? Or does the Powers Known number listed in the Psion class progression represent a hard cap that cannot be surpassed except as explicitly stated otherwise in other class features?

Quote from: Excerpt From SRDAdding Powers
Psionic characters can learn new powers when they attain a new level. A psion can learn any power from the psion/wilder list and powers from his chosen discipline's list. A wilder can learn any power from the psion/wilder list. A psychic warrior can learn any power from the psychic warrior list.

Powers Gained at a New Level
Psions and other psionic characters perform a certain amount of personal meditation between adventures in an attempt to unlock latent mental abilities. Each time a psionic character attains a new level, he or she learns additional powers according to his class description. Psions, psychic warriors, and wilders learn new powers of their choice in this fashion. These powers represent abilities unlocked from latency. The powers must be of levels the characters can manifest.

Independent Research
A psion also can research a power independently, duplicating an existing power or creating an entirely new one. If characters are allowed to develop new powers, use these guidelines to handle the situation.

Any kind of manifester can create a new power. The research involved requires access to a retreat conducive to uninterrupted meditation. Research involves an expenditure of 200 XP per week and takes one week per level of the power. At the end of that time, the character makes a Psicraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that check succeeds, the character learns the new power if her research produced a viable power. If the check fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying.

No. Check page 64 of the EPH, it notes that you can't exceed the limits of powers known even through independent research. That line just didn't make it in the SRD, it tends to be fairly brief about certain things.

To be honest, I wouldn't allow it anyway. It would be like a sorcerer researching a spell and then adding it to his spells known above his normal contingent of spells. I'm all for homebrew, but it shouldn't become something with that big a mechanical incentive. You're more than welcome to convert spells to powers (subject to DM approval) or make new powers, they just have to take a slot as a power known.

Side note: The XP cost for making a new power is dropped and not replaced with a GP cost. If you want to make homebrew, you're welcome to without having to spend anything but your own time and effort.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

You'll get an answer tomorrow, Iddy. Yuth's answer took the last bit of reading energy I had for the evening.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Tryll, since Afina's thread went off on its own thing, is there anything you wanna do while you have a bit of free time?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Calleigh wanted to check in on Rosa, and Tryll is free if Moore wants help deciphering the scroll.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Cresiel's up. He's not quite finished, as he has some gear to get, but that'll be in loot.
<Afina> Forever.