News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

From houserules:

QuotePolymorph magic, barring the polymorph subschool spells with one fixed form (Polymorph is a clusterfuck in 3.5 and wholly open to abuse. The later spells are far better balanced.)

So SRD Polymorph? Out. Shapechange? Not happening. Dragonshape from the PHB2? That's okay. A single form for a single spell's much easier to deal with, and the rules of the polymorph subschool help cut out some of the more abusive parts of polymorph shenanigans anyway. You basically trade in your abilities and powers (including class abilities) and gain the stat block of the creature you transform into (except for alignment, hit points, hit dice for the sake of effects and languages understood/spoken). If you aren't up on how that works, read the sidebar on page 91 of Complete Mage.

Tepen's had Dragonshape for awhile now, though he's never had cause to use it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Merc, we're still waiting for you to post. If you can't post, just say so.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Son of a bitch, l thought it was totally banned.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on March 18, 2016, 02:16:30 PM
Son of a bitch, l thought it was totally banned.

No. To be totally honest, with gestalt and the big ones banned, the remaining spells are well balanced and not entirely needed. Gestalt builds means there's less need to assume a totally new skill set and stat block. The lack of variety hurts as well, so I'm hoping to fix that aspect of it and offer some new options.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I'll post when I get home.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on March 18, 2016, 05:08:06 PM
I'll post when I get home.

Cool, thanks. Today ended up being a nothing day anyway.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Since it came up in PM and Iddy's not here (and I also want to get this on record): No to time stop in the eldritch weave. Half game balance and half game management issues. Just too much of a hassle and a power escalation for my tastes.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on March 19, 2016, 06:22:37 PM

Since it came up in PM and Iddy's not here (and I also want to get this on record): No to time stop in the eldritch weave. Half game balance and half game management issues. Just too much of a hassle and a power escalation for my tastes.

Boo. I realized my spell cap is level 6 though so it doesn't matter anyway.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Seven, actually. The prereq feat into the PrC boosts it by 1 and the class features you have boost it by 1. You're still way short.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

From the department of news:

1. Assuming the party survives this adventure without provoking something else, free time is on tap. So start thinking about personal to-dos, side quests and so forth. This isn't a bad time to ask questions, especially if they're ones that require some homework.

2. Aurora's shops will update sometime soon after the adventure. Save your money, y'all.

3. The party maintaining polite relations with the githyanki was a factor in getting that scroll of Vlaakith's haste. Never hurts to avoid alienating people when you can help it.

4. I'm making a bunch of polymorph subschool spells for a spell booster post. Any creatures you'd like there to be a spell for, y'all?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Sure, though that would be an epic spell. An adult mature red dragon is level 9 (and probably a case like elemental monolith, where the scale of previous spells is upset to cram something into 9th level magic) and I tentatively have a pit fiend as a level 10 spell. Solar would be around 13-14, maybe?

To be fair, I'm not sure about the pit fiend as a level 10 spell, but hence still working it out.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Came up in chat, but is Heward's Fortifying Bedroll still viable, or do you not want me to use it? If not, can I get the gold back for it?

Iron Dragoon

On a different note, my next choice for Adaptable Tapestry is as follows, from this post: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103075.msg1050497.html#msg1050497

Might of the Planetar
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Initiate of Alicia 7
Components: V,S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

With a triumphant cry, your flesh tints a vibrant green and powerful muscle builds under your skin. Your fists clench monetarily, feeling behind them the strength to pulverise any foe.

You gain a +16 enhancement bonus to Strength, a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +8 enhancement bonus to Constitution, and a +7 enhancement bonus to Natural Armour. You gain a slam attack that inflicts 2d8 + 1-1/2 your strength modifier. You gain the benefits of the Blind-Fight and Power Attack feats as well.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.