News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

This is a small booster for polymorph subschool spells. It runs with the format in Complete Mage and uses this for more forms and options. These will go into the spell collection and homebrew after a chance for people to comment, in case any of those provoke changes. Notes as follows.

- When selecting a good polymorph subschool spell for yourself, you need to choose something that's relevant at your power level and that gives something worthwhile in exchange for what you give up. The most likely reasons are for raw combat power, for versatility of abilities beyond your normal grasp or for mobility. A wise choice options up a new realm of options for the caster, while a poor choice leaves them shorn of their spellcasting when they need it the most.

- The drawback of these spells is more pronounced in gestalt, while the strength of them is watered down. Versatility is less needed and most people aren't pure casters. This isn't to say that these spells are worthless in gestalt, but they are less useful.

- At heart, these spells are useful but situational. They're far less powerful than standard polymorph or shapechange. Imagine each as a single tool versus the full tool kit of polymorph or shape change.

- The secondary purpose of this is to establish some epic polymorph spells, help feel that out. Bear in mind those are a little tentative as a result of that.

- Each spell will have some italicized text to note what the purpose of the spell is from a design standpoint.

---

27 jokes aside, this one is meant to complement the spells from Complete Scoundrel. There's spells that turn you into a fish and a bird there, so one with a burrow speed covers that aspect of movement.

Badgerform
Transmutation (Polymorph)
Level: Drd 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You take the form of a badger (MM 268). See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

These elemental form spells can be adapted to other elemental types. Some may not balance precisely and require a different touch, but the skeleton for them is there. T over in B5 may be interested in this spell, actually.

Least Form of the Ice Spirit
Transmutation (Polymorph) [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3

You take the form of a small ice para-elemental (see here). See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

This one's offers some spells and a way to go partially dragon for a short period of time.

Draconic Champion
Transmutation (Polymorph) [Good]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4

You take the form of a dragonborn spirit (see here), including the scimitar and breastplate normally used by such creatures. You gain 20 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. You may use any of the dragonborn spirit's spell-like abilities once per casting of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

As least, except it also gives temp HP now. The previous spell's a little too weak for it. +1 level for 1 advancement category of elemental seems about right.

Lesser Form of the Ice Spirit

You take the form of a medium ice para-elemental (see here). You gain 30 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

Pixieshape is a prime example of a form that is physically weak but has excellent options nonetheless. How to place and price these forms is tricky. In this case, 4th level to match improved invisibility felt right.

Pixieshape

You take the form of a pixie (MM 236), including the bow and arrows normally used by such creatures. You may use each of the pixie's once per day spell-like abilities once per casting of the spell, except for irresistible dance, which you cannot use. You have a supply of 2 memory loss and 2 sleep special arrows, which vanish when the spell ends. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

No great change from the last one. No one really needs all of these spells, but the various form allows casters of greatly varying power to access a level-appropriate elemental form.

Form of the Ice Spirit
Level: Sor/Wiz 5

You take the form of a large ice para-elemental (see here). You gain 30 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

See the last ice spirit spell. Same here, not much to add yet.

Greater Form of the Ice Spirit
Level: Sor/Wiz 6

You take the form of a huge ice para-elemental (see here). You gain 40 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

This one's to note that it's possible to use templated creatures for these spells. At least basic templates, anyway.

Heavenly Hunter's Form
Level: Sor/Wiz 7

You take the form of a celestial dire tiger (see here). You gain 50 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

Another ice elemental spell. 7's about right for a greater elemental or maybe even a bit weak for it.

Least Form of the Ice King
Level: Sor/Wiz 7

You take the form of a greater ice para-elemental (see here). You gain 50 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

Specialized forms can be harder to place. In this case, the crystal reef hunter is really good at what it does, but that only applies underwater. If you need this, it's a great option. If you don't, it's worthless. I generally aim for it to be reasonably balanced assuming that you need it.

Predator of the Crystal Waves
Level: Sor/Wiz 8

You take the form of a crystal reef hunter (see here). You gain 60 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

The temp HP of these forms continue to rise. I've been eyeballing those, since I didn't notice any rhyme or reason to the amount of temp HP the canon spells give.

Lesser Form of the Ice King
Level: Sor/Wiz 8

You take the form of an elder ice para-elemental (see here). You gain 60 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

This form is all about the unusual options. Its SLAs give a normal wizard access to things he normally wouldn't have, as well as a host of special abilities. In this case, the sheer variety pushes it up to 9th level.

Body of the Astral Deva
Level: Sor/Wiz 9

You take the form of an astral deva (MM 11), including the mace normally used by such creatures. You gain 30 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. You may use each of the astral deva's at will spell-like abilities once per casting of the spell, and you may not use it's once per day spell-like abilities. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

This one's both experimental and possibly subject to being moved. That's okay since it's not a spell any of y'all are going to use. An undead, incorporeal polymorph is unorthodox (and RAW illegal as I understand it, could be wrong), so consider this one an experiment. Likewise, I'm not sure about the level of this spell. It's not quite as good as the other 9th level polymorph subschool spells, but it gives incorporeality and a good suite of abilities, so eh.

Sharran Avenger
Transmutation (Polymorph) [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9

You take the form of a face of loss (see here). You gain 50 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. Spawn that you create are no longer under your control once the spell ends, though they are friendly towards you. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

This spell is an exception to the rule that incorporeal creatures are immune to polymorph subschool spells. You are able to take this form and maintain it for the spell's duration; you do not die for having no Constitution score.

Who wouldn't like to take the form of a pit fiend? Well, anyone not a lawful evil jerk, anyway. This form's like the astral deva one above, except a bit stronger and without the versatility. Still not a bad option for what it is.

Champion of the Pit
Transmutation (Polymorph) [Evil, Lawful]
Level: Sor/Wiz 10

You take the form of a pit fiend (MM 57). You gain 90 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. You may use any of the pit fiend's at will spell-like abilities once per casting of the spell, you cannot use its once per day or once per year spell-like abilities. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

This one's bumped to 10th level. I feel it's borderline but reasonable. It may not be quite as good as dragonshape, though dragonshape's one of those 9th level spells that's a little too strong, like they wanted to cram a concept into non-epic game play. Sort of like summon elemental monolith, which is certainly appropriate to mention here.

Form of the Ice King

You take the form of an ice para-elemental monolith (see here). You gain 100 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

Planetars are meant to show that you can choose a creature with innate spellcasting, but that you don't get to use it. As such, the spell needs to be properly discounted since you're not getting that aspect of the creature.

Planet Defender

You take the form of a planetar (MM 11), including the greatsword normally used by such creatures. You gain 70 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. You do not gain the normal spellcasting ability of your new form. You may use any of the planetar's at will or three times per day spell-like abilities once per casting of the spell, you cannot use its once per day spell-like abilities. The planetar's always active spell-like abilities function as normal. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

As planet defender, except a solar. Resurrection's barred on purpose, as it's campaign limited. This might be a 13th level spell, it fell on the border and I opted to keep it at 12th for now.

Star Defender
Level: Sor/Wiz 12

You take the form of a solar (see here), including the greatsword, bow and arrows and breastplate normally used by such creatures. You gain 140 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. You do not gain the normal spellcasting ability of your new form. You may use any of the solar's at will or three times per day spell-like abilities once per casting of the spell, you cannot use its once per day spell-like abilities or its resurrection spell-like ability. The solar's always active spell-like abilities function as normal. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.

I have no idea if this one's at the right level, since primal magic's so hard to price. Even cut down to one use it offers a shot of amazing versatility. This one will see revision in the future, it's mostly a placeholder to finish the elemental forms.

Greater Form of the Ice King
Level: Sor/Wiz 15

You take the form of a primal ice para-elemental (see here). You gain 200 temporary hit points, which expire at the end of the spell. You may use the primal ice para-elemental's primal magic spell-like ability once per casting of the spell. See the polymorph subschool sidebar (CM 91) for more information.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

[20:20] <Nephrite> [19:37] <Nephrite> Is there any fluff or documented information on anarch stuff?
[20:20] <Nephrite> [20:46] <Kotono> The Manual of the Planes mentions them. Your best bet is to talk to Merc about how it's worked for him.
[20:20] <Nephrite> [20:48] <Nephrite> Okay.
[18:38] <Merc-zzz> There isn't really any fluff on Anarchs. As mentioned by Dune, they're noted in MotP, but it's minor, just that they're exceedingly rare in Limbo, and even rarer outside of it. Anarchs are all different, not just in personality/behavior, but how they go about controlling Limbo. For Ithea in particular, when she did her wisdom test to see if she could control it, she basically just knew/suspected and then it was trial and error to see what worked for her. I tend to think of it in terms of commands/yanking control for what works best for Ithea, and imagining the results she desires, building every detail as best she can, which is why she says things like imagining a funnel or such. She literally builds a mental construct of a funnel. I basically imagine John Stewart from Green Lantern, I build mental plans and then manage the construction of it, and I want solid images. For Moore, all we've been told is that it's an it's like a mental itch. If anything, I would recommend using another Green Lantern for inspiration, in this case Kyle Rayner, who is an artist. He just goes off whims/instinct, more flighty and flexible, and freeform imagination.
[18:39] <Merc-zzz> I tend to think that Green Lanterns are honestly a great way to imagine an Anarch's control of Limbo.
[18:46] <Merc-zzz> https://skoce.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/gl-rebirth-6-of-6-08.jpg
[18:46] <Merc-zzz> https://skoce.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/gl-rebirth-6-of-6-09.jpg

Random reply to Neph regarding Anarchs.

Feeling a bit better, hopefully will be all good by tomorrow.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 30, 2016, 01:17:04 AM
Phoenix

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 20/epic and evil, immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid and electricity 30, spell resistance 41, fast healing 60, vulnerability to cold, see in darkness, flaming body, unearthly grace.
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy doesn't it have innate spellcasting like a dragon? This is exactly what this thing needs. More fire. Simmer would approve. Do it for the pyrodryad. (But seriously, it should have sorcerer casting. The lack of melee combat ability supports this. If you're concerned, only give it access to fire spells.)

QuoteRise from the Ashes (Su)

Any creature within 60ft of the phoenix when it rises from the ashes suffers 336 points of fire damage (DC 44 Reflex halves).
This seems excessive.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 06, 2016, 03:19:17 AM
Epic Warlock
Epic Warlock feels really lackluster. I feel like Eldritch Blast is so far into useless territory that especially at level 30, it's laughable. 40-50 damage/round at level 30 would be catastrophic for any of us. I know there are invocations to help, but it needs a LOT of help. Especially if someone wanted to go ranged with it. Barring the Dragon Magazine invocations that help a Warlock go melee, It's support at best. For a class that is supposed to have a bunch of mysterious flair about it and be an alternative to spellcasting, it doesn't feel viable.

Basically, Warlock needs a damage iteration, either built into Epic or a feat that can be taken. Boosting EB to d8 or d10 or beyond would be huge. Granted, you wouldn't want them to be able to be taken one after the other. Say a level requirement or something, large gaps in between.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on December 11, 2015, 03:25:10 PM
Epic Psion
I feel like the Powers Known gains from Epic Psion are somewhat gimped. The base class gains 1-2 powers per level, whereas Epic Psion is locked to 1 power each level. It feels (is) less powerful than the base class. Feels as though I should consider taking levels in other psionic base classes, but that probably wouldn't work. Why does it continue to feel as though Epic classes, with a few exceptions, are fundamentally weaker than base classes? I'm not sure I understand the point of this, as Epic is supposed to be Epic, not Boring or Punishment.

Note that this decision appears to have initially been made by WotC, not Dune. I'm just complaining that it was made at all, because it's ridiculous.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 06, 2016, 12:44:52 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 30, 2016, 01:17:04 AM
Phoenix

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 20/epic and evil, immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid and electricity 30, spell resistance 41, fast healing 60, vulnerability to cold, see in darkness, flaming body, unearthly grace.
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy doesn't it have innate spellcasting like a dragon? This is exactly what this thing needs. More fire. Simmer would approve. Do it for the pyrodryad. (But seriously, it should have sorcerer casting. The lack of melee combat ability supports this. If you're concerned, only give it access to fire spells.)

I thought about it, but decided not to. There's a few reasons for it - not every powerful creature needs spellcasting and this one has its own niche and abilities represented by its powers. It has healing and fire damage SLAs to fill that niche, as well as rise from the ashes and phoenix cry.

Also, with gestalt in play, a spellcasting phoenix is simple to produce. Have them gestalt in whichever casting class you prefer.

(By the way, 10 natural attacks on a full attack is a lack of melee combat ability? Huh?)

QuoteRise from the Ashes (Su)

Any creature within 60ft of the phoenix when it rises from the ashes suffers 336 points of fire damage (DC 44 Reflex halves).
This seems excessive.

Let me break down how this damage is calculated first. The base damage of the ability is 1d6 per hit die of the phoenix, 28d6. It's then intensified (as the metamagic feat), which maximizes it and then doubles the damage output.

Anyway, it's a pretty fearsome amount of damage on paper. It is excessive? Not really. At the level a party needs to be to have an adequate chance of slaying one and making this ability relevant, various defenses against fire and evasion should be fairly common. Moreover, the knowledge checks needed to identify what's coming and simply move out of the way are also there, as well as the less pleasant way of suffering through it and knowing to move if you kill a phoenix.

As to why it has that ability, it comes down to this. When I design an epic creature, I usually aim for at least one aspect of it to be epic. By epic I mean something above what a non-epic creature can do, something that makes it a fearsome and legendary foe to fight. For the phoenix, it is auto revival and a massive pyre when it resurrects. You simply can't kill one and keep it dead, plus doing so results in a tremendous firestorm. It provides the monster with a powerful, memorable ability that stands out as being something more than what a normal monster would have.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 06, 2016, 12:46:21 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 06, 2016, 03:19:17 AM
Epic Warlock
Epic Warlock feels really lackluster. I feel like Eldritch Blast is so far into useless territory that especially at level 30, it's laughable. 40-50 damage/round at level 30 would be catastrophic for any of us. I know there are invocations to help, but it needs a LOT of help. Especially if someone wanted to go ranged with it. Barring the Dragon Magazine invocations that help a Warlock go melee, It's support at best. For a class that is supposed to have a bunch of mysterious flair about it and be an alternative to spellcasting, it doesn't feel viable.

This may well be true, though this is more issues with warlock in general than with the epic progression. Epic progressions, barring feats, don't radically expand a class's power level or versatility. Some good epic invocations would help as well, though I haven't written any yet. I intend to at some point for Mei and assuming I stat out an epic warlock for characters and monsters at some point, that will produce some more.

Also to be honest, base warlock's a bit below B3's power curve for epic anyway.

QuoteBasically, Warlock needs a damage iteration, either built into Epic or a feat that can be taken. Boosting EB to d8 or d10 or beyond would be huge. Granted, you wouldn't want them to be able to be taken one after the other. Say a level requirement or something, large gaps in between.

Wouldn't be a terrible couple of feats. I'll toy with one something like that for Mei.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 06, 2016, 03:14:40 AM
This may well be true, though this is more issues with warlock in general than with the epic progression. Epic progressions, barring feats, don't radically expand a class's power level or versatility.
They fucking should. It's Epic. Not Lessic.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 06, 2016, 12:55:52 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on December 11, 2015, 03:25:10 PM
Epic Psion
I feel like the Powers Known gains from Epic Psion are somewhat gimped. The base class gains 1-2 powers per level, whereas Epic Psion is locked to 1 power each level. It feels (is) less powerful than the base class. Feels as though I should consider taking levels in other psionic base classes, but that probably wouldn't work. Why does it continue to feel as though Epic classes, with a few exceptions, are fundamentally weaker than base classes? I'm not sure I understand the point of this, as Epic is supposed to be Epic, not Boring or Punishment.

Note that this decision appears to have initially been made by WotC, not Dune. I'm just complaining that it was made at all, because it's ridiculous.

First of all, this is a base class, not an epic class. It's the epic level progression of it, not something different from it. I don't really see how it can be fundamentally weaker as it's simply the later levels of the class, not something different. Semantics aside though, the basic point is this. Epic design as I run it is focused around feats to provide more power and options. The base class continues to give what it does while bigger improvements come through feats, hence while all epic progressions (and epic PrCs) give bonus feats.

Anyway yeah, it is a thing. My take on it is rather than to try and remake epic progressions from the ground up, I try and build within feats and what WoTC made with epic. Want to spice up epic levels in a base class? Make some feats that do it. Easier and frankly far less of an undertaking for me than trying to rewrite all the epic progressions with a bunch of new content.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 06, 2016, 03:24:56 AM
rewrite all the epic progressions with a bunch of new content.

I don't want you to do that. I'm just expressing my frustration with Epic making me feel like shit.

I feel like a base class has this ramp up period to 20, and then just sorta levels off into Epic. I guess I'll need to come up with something useful for a PrC for a Psion.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 06, 2016, 03:17:51 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 06, 2016, 03:14:40 AM
This may well be true, though this is more issues with warlock in general than with the epic progression. Epic progressions, barring feats, don't radically expand a class's power level or versatility.
They fucking should. It's Epic. Not Lessic.

See above. Barring reworking what's presented in the ELH (and goodness knows I do enough of that as it is), epic progressions are working as designed there.

Flip side, if you don't like that, you can also make an epic PrC to expand on it in some way. A good example of this is Erathaol in characters and monsters, he uses a revised cosmic descryer to take his summoning to far higher levels than a non-epic character could hope to match. It does take making your own PrC or salvaging one of the epic PrCs in the ELH, but that's an option.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

I'll probably do that then.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 06, 2016, 03:32:16 AM
I'll probably do that then.

Are there any epic PrCs for psionics anywhere in 3.5? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

There's a couple I think? They might suck though. Lemme look.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 06, 2016, 03:34:44 AM
There's a couple I think? They might suck though. Lemme look.

Let me know.
<Afina> Forever.