News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay, this goes in here since comments may be needed.

Moore, Jaela and Afina are off on a Yggdrasil hunt.

Surraruthru and Tryll are off for Myr's Sword (along with a few others, probably).

Generals Adrian and Gisfal are leading a Lifasa strike.

Everything look good? Any preferences on the target, other generals?

Surraruthru, refresh me on who you want to take with you.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

No, no. Lets not have the NPCs take Aurora off on a vital mission, they'll totally lose it.

Adrian and Gisfal can stay and guard the base while PCs do Yggdrasil/Myr.

They can move Aurora somewhere other than Water if Simmer is too revolting though. Probably can't mess that up.

Anastasia

You have such confidence in your allies. >_>
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Moore will explain to Morniel about the message to Cresiel to "stay vigilant" in case there's more to that meaning than just the action itself, also.

Ebiris

I haven't forgotten how team NPC failed to do much of anything when Lixer was locking down Aurora and preparing to attack it. We're just lucky he had to call it off for reasons.

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Quote from: Ebiris on July 13, 2016, 01:39:40 PM
I haven't forgotten how team NPC failed to do much of anything when Lixer was locking down Aurora and preparing to attack it. We're just lucky he had to call it off for reasons.

That!
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Todo list.

1. Finish level ups.
2. Import and level up Ilsenine.
3. Corwin 8-9 spell post.
4. Yuth psionic points stuff.
5. Sage Vul'lath spell adjustment.
6. Mirajane feat + spells.
7. Build charts.
8. Epic sentinel.
9. If time permits, epic skills. Good luck.
10. Oh, and that anti scrying/portal spell Cor wanted. Toss that in somewhere when it's not 5 AM.
11. Check Mei's paladin spells per day for higher Charisma. Should take like 5 minutes, just not right now.
12. Polish up Ilsenine's spells.
13. Mirajane's sentinel spells.
14. Psionic tables.
15. Epic seeker of the song. Low priority.

---

Ilsenine's done.  Her spells are fairly straightforward and so is her marshal aura. Moore, bear in mind she's already going to be boosting init with her one aura.

---

On reflection I won't do an epic seeker of the song. The way the class is designed would work better plugging into an epic PrC. It's mainly about a new song each level, so that's really not well served by an epic progression for seeker of the song.

---

Re: Portal spell.

I'm tabling it for now. 1. It's at least 12th level so out of reach for now. 2. It's probably a bad idea and opens up some things that'll bite your asses in the long run. I have a much longer and winder explanation if you're really curious, but that's the nitty-gritty of it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Anti-teleportation booster preview.

This part deals with some of the varied ways teleportation can be defended against. This isn't exhaustive and may be changed for when it's posted. Most of these should be familiar to y'all.

Spells

Magic provides the most ready and accessible means of stopping teleportation. Spells such as dimensional lock, forbiddance and zone of respite all offer means to stop dimensional intrusions. Each spell varies in effectiveness and duration, but all can generally be dealt with by dispelling them in person.

Ley Lines

A defense native to the Prime Material, a sufficiently strong ley line or ley line cluster can render teleportation dangerous or impossible. The exact effect depends on the strength of the ley line, which is described below.

A moderate ley line renders teleportation magic of 5th level or lower unsafe. These spells have a 20% chance of producing a mishap, which causes 2d10 points of damage to all travelers and results in them being shunted to a random location on that Prime or to the Astral Plane (50% chance of either). In the case of teleport or other spells that have a chance of mishap already, both chances of mishap are rolled and resolved separately. Spells of 6th level or higher are not affected by a moderate ley line.

Strong ley lines disrupt dimensional travel further. Spells of 6th level or lower have a 60% chance of mishap, while greater teleport and greater plane shift both have a 20% chance of mishap. A mishap due to a strong ley line inflicts 4d10 points of damage to all travelers, but is otherwise identical. Gate and other 9th level or higher spells are not affected by a strong ley line.

Overwhelming ley lines prevent all dimensional travel with only a few exceptions. A gate spell can function, but there is a 20% chance the spell fails. This spell failure applies to other 9th level teleportation spells, though epic spells can overcome the risk of failure entirely.

A ley line cluster, which is a convergence of several ley lines into a node, prevents all teleportation and dimensional travel. It is whispered that deities and the greatest of the fey have means to circumvent this, but the veracity of this is unknown.

Regardless, there's little to be done about ley lines. They're a natural part of the Prime. Certain specialized spells cast in person can reduce the effect of a ley line (including on teleportation).

Teleportation Beacon

While not strictly a defense against dimensional travel, a teleportation beacon causes all means of dimensional travel within the area affected to appear at the beacon's focal point. There is no save against this, though weaker teleportation beacons can be overwhelmed by sufficiently powerful magic. As a magical item, a teleportation beacon can be destroyed or dispelled like any other item. Most are protected by various abjurations and guardians to prevent unhappy travelers from doing exactly that.

Psychic Storm

In certain cases, an psychic storm on the Astral Plane can make teleportation to an area of another plane temporarily impossible. Under normal circumstances this does not happen, as the odds of one being in exactly the right place at the right time are remote. However, is is possible to create a psychic storm that does not naturally dissipate and stays in place. This provides a powerful defense against teleportation, dooming any efforts into the area a failure. Further, creatures that attempt to do so suffer the mental effect of being exposed to a psychic storm (MoP 51).

Setting up a psychic storm in this way requires a great deal of research. Doing so takes 1 month's research, 10,000 gold and a successful DC 30 Knowledge (Arcana) or Knowledge (Nature) check at the location to be protected. Doing so allows for the ritual of the howling mind (see below) to be conducted, which creates a psychic storm in Astral that does not dissipate and protects the chosen area.

The only remedy to this defense is to travel to the Astral Plane, locate the psychic storm and end it. A wish or miracle spell cast within a psychic storm can stop it, as can specialized magic.

Severing Astral Links

Finally, the most absolute defense against dimensional travel is to sever an area's connection to the Astral Plane. Doing so makes teleportation - including means such as shadow walk - completely impossible. This can only be done in a few ways and is almost always the action of a deity or planar lord. A wish or a miracle is insufficient to do so, though an epic spell allows for astral links to restored. Likewise, a deity can use alter reality to restore severed astral links to an area. Doing so in another deity's divine realm requires the deity to succeed on an opposed rank check against the deity who severed the links.

Inflame Ley Line
Evocation
Level: Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: Ley line touched
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Inflame ley line is used to temporarily increase the power of a ley line. This has many effects on the ley line, as described below.

(Mechanics not related to teleportation excised.)

An inflamed ley line counts as one category higher to interfere with teleportation. A weak ley line counts as moderate, a moderate ley line as strong and a strong ley line as overwhelming. An overwhelming ley line is not affected in this aspect.

Inflaming a ley line is not without cost. Once the spell's duration expires, all fey within the ley line suffer 2d6 points of damage. The ley line cannot be inflamed again for a number of days equal to your caster level.

Restore Astral Links
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 15
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Short (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Area: 1 100ft cube/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell restores an area's connection to the Astral Plane. Doing so allows teleportation and dimensional magics to function properly in the area affected.

Restoring astral links can be dangerous. While it is possible for it to happen naturally or through the sever astral links spell, it is most commonly seen in a deity's divine realm or the plane they rule over. Restoring the astral links a deity has severed in her divine realm or plane is guaranteed to get the attention of the deity, who is free to react as they see fit. Sending powerful servants to smite the offending creature is the most likely course of action, though avatars and even the deity herself may choose to appear.

Focus

A silver knife stained with the blood of an astral dreadnought.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm running B5 and the next post in Niflheim is a big one (all the NPCs + bad guys), so don't expect it immediately. I'll try and get it out before work, though. I go in an hour late for a mini shift so I'll have some extra time.

At least working an extra day this week has some payoff.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Okay. My schedule should free up some come tomorrow.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

So noted. Storms but they're subsiding I think, so gonna try to get that post done in the 40 minutes I have. Fingers crossed.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Cor, I tallied up what your new hit points should be, since you've taken a bit to do it. Feel free to double check.

[spoiler]

Base hit dice are 15d8, 5d10, 4d12.

> roll 15*8
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 15*8 --> {120}
> roll 5*10
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 5*10 --> {50}
> roll 4*12
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 4*12 --> {48}

Additionally, you have a Con mod of +9.

> roll 9*24
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 9*24 --> {216}

This leads to a total of:

> roll 216+120+50+48
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 216+120+50+48 --> {434}

Then I add a +3 max HP noted on your sheet for a total of 437. I didn't see any other boosters on there, correct me if I'm wrong.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I think that's right, thanks.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.