"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Okay, so epic spells!

lvl10:
Celestial Valor, which is ridiculously good.
Cleansing Rain, except can it be an extension of my evil-debuffing aura instead of rain? Centered on me rather than at range, maybe using my preferred medium of light rather than acid?
I'll give Curse of Inadequacy a try.
Maybe some defensive spell that triggers upon a charge/flyby and knocks people down instead of damage? Something of a cross between downdraft and that spell that zaps people when they hit you.
What do you think of a Miracle of Stabilization? 1hp healed to each being within a 1 mile radius, autostabilizes people bleeding out and infernal wounds?
Summon Monster X if all else fails.

lvl11:
I'm interested in Superb Dispelling, since it's one of my specialties.
Sunlance is great, but not applicable. However, I'd like to have a similar version for the lvl6 spell Bolt of Glory.
I wonder if something could come from marrying Tyranny to Glaciante's Spiteful Ward. Something that goes Mind Blank and similar defenses, and upon success blasts the target into stupor for X rounds? Our enemies already have means to tear down our defenses, so I'd want to give that same gift back, except without that pesky dominance and agony.
How would Epic Magic Vestment look? Epic Magic Weapon?

I'm also thinking of epic progressions of my domains. War, Protection, Magic, Time, Water, Travel. Would Superb Dispelling be Magic 11? Any thoughts on how these domains could continue into epic?

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on August 02, 2016, 03:02:01 PM
Sidebar: Should Mei be able to take the blood of Sehanine Moonbow with VoP?

It's certainly arguable that it's a magical item and possession of value. After all, a drop of deific blood is worth a great deal of money to the right seller. However, in this case, I feel there's no reasonable attachment of value. It's given as a religious relic and not meant to be sold. As a matter of fact, Jaela would get severely chastised if she'd decided to sell them. So eh.

Deific blood should be considered priceless. It's not necessarily a magical item so much as a blessing.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on August 02, 2016, 09:50:05 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on August 02, 2016, 03:02:01 PM
Sidebar: Should Mei be able to take the blood of Sehanine Moonbow with VoP?

It's certainly arguable that it's a magical item and possession of value. After all, a drop of deific blood is worth a great deal of money to the right seller. However, in this case, I feel there's no reasonable attachment of value. It's given as a religious relic and not meant to be sold. As a matter of fact, Jaela would get severely chastised if she'd decided to sell them. So eh.

Deific blood should be considered priceless. It's not necessarily a magical item so much as a blessing.

Yes, though it can be made into the godsblood epic poison. That goes for 42k a pop, if you're lucky enough to find someone who has some and will sell it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

QuoteCleansing Rain, except can it be an extension of my evil-debuffing aura instead of rain? Centered on me rather than at range, maybe using my preferred medium of light rather than acid?

Centered on you and mobile, or just centered on you when you cast? A mobile version would have considerably different balance since you can move around with it and use it as an offensive aura that way.

QuoteMaybe some defensive spell that triggers upon a charge/flyby and knocks people down instead of damage? Something of a cross between downdraft and that spell that zaps people when they hit you.

Doable. See future posts here.

QuoteWhat do you think of a Miracle of Stabilization? 1hp healed to each being within a 1 mile radius, autostabilizes people bleeding out and infernal wounds?

Doable. See future posts here.

QuoteSunlance is great, but not applicable. However, I'd like to have a similar version for the lvl6 spell Bolt of Glory.

Check out Burst of Glory. It's a 12th level spell, see below. That said, how similar to Sunlance are we talking here? Shouldn't matter too much for balance, mostly on just how the spell's written out.

Burst of Glory
Evocation [Good]
Level: Clr 12, Glory 12, Pal 12
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft/2 levels); see text
Effect: Rays; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell sends Bolts of Glory at every creature within range of the spell. See the spell on page 35 of the Spell Compendium. You roll spell resistance and your attack roll once and apply it to all targets within range. The maximum damage for each bolt is raised, up to 30d12 versus natives of the Negative Energy Plane, evil outsiders and undead; 14d12 versus neutral outsiders and inhabitants of the Material Plane or Elemental plane; good outsiders and creatures native to the Positive Energy Plane still take no damage.

Burst of Glory sends bolts at all creatures within range, even allies and creatures that would not be affected by the bolt.

QuoteI wonder if something could come from marrying Tyranny to Glaciante's Spiteful Ward. Something that goes Mind Blank and similar defenses, and upon success blasts the target into stupor for X rounds?

Depends on how you execute it. If it's simply a dispel with an extra kick, those sort of things already exist and are an easy model to work with. Are you thinking of something more defensive and counter-y instead?

QuoteHow would Epic Magic Vestment look? Epic Magic Weapon?

A few approaches here, depending on what you want to do.

1. Like the greater versions with bigger numbers that keep on going. I admit I'm less keen on this option, since it basically just replaces greater magic weapon and gets you bigger numbers. I try to do more variety with epic spells than that. A lot of spells have that due to the basic nature of how 3.5 spellcasting is setup, but I try to twist it and make it more interesting.
2. Customized single spells that have a set parameter and function, such as like Shardread Weapon. That spell's not the best example due to the short duration, but it frames the approach here - more niche and personalized.

QuoteI'm also thinking of epic progressions of my domains. War, Protection, Magic, Time, Water, Travel. Would Superb Dispelling be Magic 11? Any thoughts on how these domains could continue into epic?

Some already do. Let me note the spells that already cover some domains from 10th level and up, you can find those below. I mostly fill them in as I go and without any great focus. Feel free to suggest spells that would fit domains. As a rule, it should fit previous spells in the domain and the domain's themes.

Anyway, there's dispel magic and a fair deal of anti-magic measures in the magic domain, so superb dispelling fits. I'll make the change and note in in the change log, it's now the magic 11 domain spell.

Belial's Mercy - Pain 10.
Celestial Valor - Good 10, Glory 10.
Mass Valiant Fury - Courage 10.
Moonrise - Moon 10.
True Meteor Swarm - Fire 11.
Dire Winter - Cold 10.
Summon Black Rock Triskelion - Not technically a domain spell, but clerics of Ogremoch can cast it. This is one of my oldest spells and the one I'm least happy with, so this'll change sooner or later anyway.
Sunlance - Sun 11.
Tyranny - Diabolic 10.
Burst of Glory - Glory 12.
Greater Fire Storm - Fire 12.
Moonfire Tear - Moon 12. Side note, a modified version of this was what Sehanine Moonbow used on you. At least one of the attacks, anyway.
Wrath of the Heavens - Wrath (BoED) 12. Another old spell that needs tweaking.
Antimagic Zone - Magic 13, Protection 13.
Eternal Moonrise - Moon 13.
Web of Generosity - Community 13.
Dreamscape - Dream 14.
Mass Monstrous Thrall - Domination 14.
Dream Travel - Dream 15.
Firescape - Fire 15.
Greater Foresight - Knowledge 15.
Perfect Energy Immunity - Protection 16.
Domiel's Spread of Life - Life 17.
Greater Web of Generosity - Community 18.
Warrior's Boon - War 22.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quick notes: It doesn't need to note it auto stabilizes, since magical healing does that automatically. It also doesn't need a note about infernal wounds, since those usually have text about caster level checks or what have you to overcome them.

Miracle of Life
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 10, Pal 9
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: 1 mile radius centered on yourself
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell heals every living creature within the range 1d4+5 hit points. Your caster level is reduced by 5 for this spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

A knockdown spell may not come tonight, depending on how long I stay coherent. That one needs some more thought to how it would work.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

In related news, check the new changelog about Mirajane's Revelation. Decided to boost the duration a tad.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Dune, I think I read something from you about that you put up my thread, but not to post in it? When should I post?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Ebiris

I think that was Dune saying he wouldn't make any additional posts in reply right away because he's not feeling well.

Yuthirin

Oh! Okay. I misread it. Thanks!

Anastasia

Yeah, just not feeling the best today. That's most days anymore, but worse than usual today. Gonna try to energy up and post some in a bit.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Previous spell in quotes so I keep it handy. I haven't added it to the Spell Collection yet.

Anyway, assigning more domain spells. My philosophy is below.

1. Spells have to match what the non-epic spells give as well as the domain's theme.
2. Avoid good and evil descriptor spells unless it's in a domain that already has them and the opposite alignment won't have that domain. Law and chaos as well when appropriate.
3. Avoid using non-epic spells as 10th level domain spells.  Style choice as well as that those splits are annoying to deal with.
4. Don't use faith specific spells or ones geared to a particular deity or plane, unless those are the only ones to offer the domain.

War:

10: Hellball sort of fits, but I'd rather not there. Probably needs a custom spell.
11: Epic Mage Armor sort of fits, but not really. War usually focuses on boosting weapons/armor, not the mage armor route. Needs a new spell.
12: Legion's Gates would be an interesting choice, but it isn't supported by what the War Domain does.  Maybe Glorious Rally. Maybe a cusotm spell. No decisions for any of these in the War Domain yet.

Protection:

10: Energy Immunity is a strong fit, as Protection From Energy is a 3rd level domain spell. That's now a Protection 10 spell.
11: Latha's Sunmantle would be a good fit, but it's a sanctified spell so that's out of the question. Nothing's quite right so a new spell is likely in order.
12: Nothing really fits. Custom spell ho.

Magic:

10: Glaciante's Spiteful Ward would be an interesting choice, but probably too personalized and obscure. Spellpool is an extremely strong possibility (though I should review that spell, it's a really early one). Let me think about it.
11: Superb Dispelling already fills this. Next.
12: Rain of Desolation is a dispel and the magic domain does do dispels, but two back to back is probably bad form.  Probably needs a new spell.

Time:

10: Mass Freedom of Movement is a strong choice since they get Freedom of Movement at 4. (I question that spell in the Time Domain, but whatever. I don't see the logic.) Vlaakith's Haste could have an argument since Time gets Haste a 3, but it's way too obscure for it. Mass Freedom of Movement is now Time 10 domain spell.
11: Nothing fits, so new spell time.
12: Same as 11.

Water

10: There's choices. Form of the Ice King would sort of fit (or a water elemental variant), but it doesn't quite fit. Summon Stygian Chilblain is also a possibility, but the evil descriptor knocks it out of contention. Telay's Ice Horror could also fit, the water domain does do some ice damage. That one's really borderline, so I'll toss it out to y'all. Opinions on that one?
11: Nothing fits, new spell needed.
12: Rain of Desolation's an interesting choice. Cold damage is something this domain does, though the dispel part's tangential. However, the spell really fits the water domain - water washing everything away is a key representation of water, after all. I'll go with it for now. Rain of Desolation is now the Water 12 spell.

Travel

10: Mass Freedom of Movement's arguable. They don't get Freedom of Movement, though they do get a version as the domain granted power. Odd choice. Anyway, we'll go with that since I feel that's reasonable justification. Mass Freedom of Movement is now the Travel 10 domain spell.
11: No matches, needs a new spell.
12: Legion's Gates. This one's a no brainer. Legion's Gates is now the Travel 12 spell.

Quote from: Anastasia on August 03, 2016, 12:03:41 AM
Quick notes: It doesn't need to note it auto stabilizes, since magical healing does that automatically. It also doesn't need a note about infernal wounds, since those usually have text about caster level checks or what have you to overcome them.

Miracle of Life
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 10, Pal 9
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: 1 mile radius centered on yourself
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell heals every living creature within the range 1d4+5 hit points and deals an identical amount of damage to undead creatures. Your caster level is reduced by 5 for this spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Miracle of Life is now in the Spell Collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Operation Stupid Devil Names

The operation has two stages, a feint attack against Lethe and a small scale attack on Spirit Gorge which is the true goal.

The Spirit Gorge strike force will consist of Afina, Tryll, Calleigh, and the Master. Using interplanar telepathic bond to remain in contact with Tepen at Aurora, they will Gate to the Gloaming Wood (now renamed Soulsworn by stupid devils) and proceed on foot to Spirit Gorge and wait until either reinforcements have been dispatched to aid Lethe or the battle has swung decisively in our favour. From here they will infiltrate the complex with the goal of ending the magic that is effected on Lief by whatever means necessary. Dispelling should work but removing or destroying Lief's corpse are also acceptable options. Further, the capture of Willah is a secondary goal, though her death is acceptable as well if this proves untenable. If neither are present the strike force will relocate to the former court of Alfheimr where Willah maintains her fief in hopes of capturing Willah from there and then obtaining information on Lief's location.

Once these goals are effected the strike force will evacuate back to Aurora which will then either retreat from Lethe or solidify control over the area depending on how the feint attack has progressed.

The attack on Lethe itself will be conducted in a straightforward manner so as to keep our forces consolidated, which will allow for a quick retreat should the battle prove untenable or the strike force succeed early on. Any breaches in Lethe's defences will be heavily fortified and widened so as to allow a clean path of retreat at all times while forces led by Jaela will form the vanguard. Smrgol specifically will be tasked with defending Aurora's gates, and he will be accompanied by a pixie of appropriate build dressed up to look like Afina.

Nephrite

Moore is fine being assigned wherever.