News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

> Hmm... What about HW ability for some kind of like quick jaunt or shadow steps or somethign that would work?
<Kotono> Probably doable, sure.
> Something that's fairly limited in range compared to Dimension Door or teleport, but especially hard to block or something?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on August 09, 2016, 10:20:59 PM

Well, that handbook doesn't have much on crit builds. Any suggestions for feat layouts?

The handbook's fairly solid, though there's a few altered epic feats that may serve you well.

Overwhelming critical drops cleave and great cleave as prereqs, so it's easier to qualify for. Devastating critical does the same and its benefit changes to increasing your critical hit multiplier by 1.

QuoteEdit:

So going through the handbook, the only feats I see that are under 2h that will work are the Power Attack stuff, Cleave stuff, Combat Brute, Driving Attack, and Pushback. Most of that stuff seems to be built off of Charging or Bull Rush. Under the Charging feat combos, everything listed has either Shock Trooper or Leap, which you have soft banned, and Pounce is soft banned, too, so I'm kind of at a loss on what to take feat wise beyond Power Attack and Cleaving, aside from the combat support stuff like Imp. Initiative and Improved Crit type stuff.

Are there any NPCs that are built for 2h? Maybe I could see what they've done.

Adrian two hands. He used to use the combat focus line of feats in the PHB2 as well. He also uses Telling Blow, which is nice if you have precision damage and and a good crit threat range. Beyond that, he mainly uses his feats to make him better at fighting with higher numbers through the weapon focus line of feats.

Misalea two hands, but her build is weird so I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Mirima two hands with an elven courtblade. Her build's a bit funny but doesn't use any great feat trickery.

Morniel two hands but isn't a front line warrior (relatively, he's a throne archon).

Mirajane two hands a spear and focuses on AoOs more than anything else. She's still working out all the kinks and is a bit feat starved. As a result, her build is rather basic.

Moonlight (why are there so many M names?!) two hands. She focuses on smiting, occult slaying and anti wizardry. It's an interesting approach and work checking out, though I don't think a lot directly applies to you.

As a side note, Kascha technically two hands as well, but she's primarily a spellcaster. She uses a greatsword simply because it's common for ghaele to.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

What do you think of this for charge 2h:

Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 1): Weapon Focus (Longbow) <Class Req>
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 2): Weapon Focus (Scythe)
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 4): Powerful Charge
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 6): Greater Powerful Charge
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 8): Cleave

Level 1: Power Attack
Level 3: Improved Initiative
Level 6: Great Cleave
Level 9: Improved Critical
Level 12: Neraph Charge
Level 15: Power Critical or Quicken Spell Like Ability
Level 18: Overwhelming Critical
Level 21 (Epic): Epic Spellcasting
Level 24 (Epic): Dire Charge or Epic Quicken Spell Like Ability

Anastasia

I'd ditch Powerful Charge and the improved version unless you're going to be, well, big. The damage isn't worth it, too conditional and doesn't multiply with charge boosters.

My personal opinion is that great cleave is usually overkill.

Improved critical's solid, but getting a keen weapon makes a lot more sense unless you don't want to rely on it or it isn't possible in your build for whatever reason.

Power critical's not very good unless you're going for a high threat range, like 15-20 after improved critical or keen. Quicken SLA is superb on the other hand, pending on what you apply it to.

Overwhelming critical is an epic feat, so you can't take it at 18.

Dire charge a strong choice unless your epic SLA makes tons of sense to have unlimited uses of. Depends on what it is.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

How about:

Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 4): Cleave
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 6): Combat Vigor or Great Cleave
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 8): Improved Critical

Level 3: Improved Initiative or Combat Focus
Level 6: Neraph Charge
Level 9: Dodge
Level 12: Combat Defense or Improved Initiative
Level 15: Quicken Spell Like Ability
Level 18: Armor Specialization
Level 24 (Epic): Overwhelming Critical or Dire Charge or Epic Quicken Spell Like Ability

Anastasia

The combat focus feats aren't bad, but you really need to invest heavily in them. Three feats minimum. Looks solid enough otherwise, pending more information about the character.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Question: Does the Badge of Valor (MIC 208) +1 to inspire courage work before or after words of creation?

I.e I have +5 to IC, use words of creation to make it 10, does the badge make it 11 or 12?

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on January 22, 2016, 01:23:26 PM
The first. WoC is a multiplier that's dealt with after all the normal bonuses and additions.

From earlier and relevant.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Iron Dragoon

So the Epic Quicken Spell feat won't work for me with Horizon Walker abilities. It requires Cha 25, and there's no way I can get that since I don't have anything that works off of Cha.

Iron Dragoon

How's this look:

Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 4): Cleave
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 6): Weapon Specialization (Scythe)
Fighter Bonus Feat (Level 8): Improved Critical

Level 3: Improved Initiative
Level 6: Neraph Charge
Level 9: Dodge
Level 12: Melee Weapon Mastery (Slashing)
Level 15: Quicken Spell Like Ability
Level 18: Armor Specialization
Level 24 (Epic): Epic Quicken Spell Like Ability

Anastasia

Let me know what you all think. This is a fighter-esque class that focuses on the scythe to exclusion of all else. It was orgiinally made for Yuria in B2 but never happened, it's been revised and changed up. Let me know what you think, especially about the potent level 10 capstone combo. (Besides that I could condense it into one ability, I may do that anyway.)

Scythe Master

Hit Die

d10

Requirements

Base Attack Bonus

+8

Feats

Improved Critical (Scythe), Weapon Focus (Scythe)

Class Skills

The scythe master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str).

Skill Points per Level

2 + Intelligence modifier.

LevelBase Attack BonusFortitude SaveReflex SaveWill SaveSpecial
1+1+2+0+0Focus, weapon specialization
2+2+3+0+0Scytheblock+2
3+3+3+1+1Reaper's fall+2
4+4+4+1+1Circle cut
5+5+4+1+1Greater focus, reaper's reach, scytheblock+3
6+6+5+2+2Greater weapon focus
7+7+5+2+2Horrific critical
8+8+6+2+2Greater weapon specialization, reaper's fall+4, scytheblock+4
9+9+6+3+3Scythe master
10+10+7+3+3Finishing strike, ultimate focus

Focus (Ex)

Such is your devout dedication to learning the art of the scythe that other weapons are neglected. Whenever you wield a weapon that isn't a scythe, you suffer a -2 penalty to attack and damage rolls.

Weapon Specialization

You gain weapon specialization (scythe) as a bonus feat. If you already possess this feat, you may select another feat you qualify for.

Scytheblock (Ex)

You learn how to use a scythe's long handle to parry effectively, giving the benefits of a shield. You gain a +2 shield bonus to armor class. This bonus increases to +3 at 5th level and +4 at 8th level.

Reaper's Fall (Ex)

You learn every trick there is to trip an opponent with your scythe. When you use your scythe to make a trip attempt, you gain a +2 bonus to CMD. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level. This benefit stacks with the improved trip feat and similar abilities.

Circle Cut (Ex)

Beginning at 4th level, you can make a single attack as a full round action. This attack applies to all squares within your reach and is otherwise identical to the whirlwind strike feat.

Greater Focus (Ex)

At 5th level, your penalty to attacks with weapons that aren't a scythe rises to -4.

Reaper's Reach (Ex)

With the long handle of the scythe, you can strike down foes at a distance. When you wield a scythe, your reach is considered 5ft longer than it usually is. Your scythe is not treated as a reach weapon, you may attack adjacent targets as normal.

Greater Weapon Focus

You gain greater weapon focus (scythe) as a bonus feat. If you already possess this feat, you may select another feat you qualify for.

Horrific Critical (Ex)

When you strike true with your scythe, it is a spectacle that inspires fear into all around you. Whenever you make a critical hit against a target, all enemies within 30ft must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your hit dice + your Strength modifier) or be shaken for 1 minute.

Greater Weapon Specialization

You gain greater weapon specialization (scythe) as a bonus feat. If you already possess this feat, you may select another feat you qualify for.

Scythe Mastery (Ex)

For any feat that applies to a scythe, you may ignore any requires that require levels in a character class, such as fighter. For example, you may select weapon supremacy (scythe) without meeting the prerequisite of being an 18th level fighter. Any other requirements for a feat must still be met as normal.

Finishing Strike (Ex)

You have reached a new level of skill in dishing out decisive scythe blows. When wielding a scythe, increase your critical threat range by one and your critical hit multiplier by one. Apply these modifiers after other modifiers to your threat range and critical hit multiplier.

Ultimate Focus (Ex)

By neglecting other weapons, you have increased your own power with the scythe greatly. You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls with the scythe.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Wow that really doesn't suck. That's actually pretty good.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on August 11, 2016, 04:58:27 PM
Wow that really doesn't suck. That's actually pretty good.

Yeah, it's meant to be fighter+2 or so. Better but giving up flexibility in exchange for wholly committing to scythes. Essentially a hyper-focused PrC.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

To be fair, most people pick a single weapon type and stick with it forever. Barring receiving an artifact or something else earth-shaking.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?