Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on August 11, 2016, 05:16:33 PM
To be fair, most people pick a single weapon type and stick with it forever. Barring receiving an artifact or something else earth-shaking.

Yeah, that's true and worth considering. There are exceptions (Jaela comes to mind here) but most people stick to one. This class is balanced a bit by making that choice less effective. Not only do you have a penalty, all the goodies of the class are tied to using a scythe.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Let's play a game. Name a concept, mechanic or idea for a PrC. If one catches my attention, I'll work out something with it.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Slime/acid/poison.

Oozes!

Corwin

I still mostly stick to spears.

Concept, huh. Beam spam!
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

A PrC for shifter-focused Druids that isn't Warshaper.

Yuthirin

Eldritch cosmic horrors that we can summon.

Either for combat or tea and biscuits.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

A useful version of Master of the Unseen Hand.

More seriously, a Salaad focused PrC. Sorta like Druid or Ranger, but for Limbo.

Edit: Maybe not like Druid/Ranger. More like Alienist.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Todo: Move Finnegan over.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on August 12, 2016, 04:57:50 PM
Slime/acid/poison.

Oozes!

Had a few ideas with oozes but they didn't go anywhere. Will try again tomorrow. Poison's covered well by the poisoner PrC and poisons are built to improve with houserules. Not a lot of design space there, but inspiration might strike.

Quote from: Yuthirin on August 12, 2016, 05:55:23 PM
Eldritch cosmic horrors that we can summon.

Either for combat or tea and biscuits.

Closest thing is alienist, which isn't used in campaign due to Far Realm stuff being a way bigger deal than the PrC supposes. Demons can come fairly close to this (obyriths), a PrC centered around them's possible. I have a few ideas for an Ubalukk worshiper prestige class, which might go somewhere.

For the record, a class dealing with summoning the Far Realm wouldn't happen. Managing a single Far Realm summoning is a Big Deal, caps intentional, as it can cause Creation itself to unravel. It's the sort of situation that will see deities intervene in unusually direct manners to stop it, in ways that transcend normal grudges and rivalries. When pulling of a single summoning means a massive response on that scale that ends with Creation's victory of Creation unraveling, there's not much space for a PrC.

Moreover, Beyond creatures break typical rules of D&D and do what they will. The Far Realm inherently disregards rules, as such, game mechanics using them simply aren't viable.

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on August 12, 2016, 11:08:00 PM
A useful version of Master of the Unseen Hand.

More seriously, a Salaad focused PrC. Sorta like Druid or Ranger, but for Limbo.

Edit: Maybe not like Druid/Ranger. More like Alienist.

A slaad focused PrC would be about hunger, randomness, chaos and slaad. You'd get a weird PrC though that's likely on purpose. It would have an unusual number of levels and be otherwise highly unorthodox.

Quote from: Corwin on August 12, 2016, 05:00:18 PM
I still mostly stick to spears.

Concept, huh. Beam spam!

That makes me think of ray spam. Spellwarp sniper's a thing already, so it would need to be something more exotic. Hm. A few ideas to work on tomorrow.

Quote from: Nephrite on August 12, 2016, 05:08:58 PM
A PrC for shifter-focused Druids that isn't Warshaper.

A PrC working with shapeshift's possible, didn't you use a custom one for Gildas?

I'll toss these around more tomorrow, see which one has the most legs.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on August 14, 2016, 04:10:47 AM

A PrC working with shapeshift's possible, didn't you use a custom one for Gildas?

I did. It wasn't bad, but I'm not sure if one that just adds new forms is really the right way to go -- maybe one that has one of its own you can augment via the PrC is the right way to go? I don't know on that one, it's hard to say, since obviously you'd want other classes to benefit, but maybe leaving shapeshifting in the realm of Druids is the better way to think of it.

Ebiris

I think Yuth had a shifter PrC for Muirfinn that gave epic forms like his dragon one.

Anastasia

New PrC's up in homebrew. It's fairly strong, but balanced by the ew nature of it. Who wants to become a self-harming ooze, anyway? It's mostly meant for worshipers of Juiblex, though any non-good creature can take it if they desire.

Next up are a few epic progressions then I may work on another prestige class idea from the above, assuming I have time before work.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

QuoteA PrC working with shapeshift's possible, didn't you use a custom one for Gildas?

I'll toss these around more tomorrow, see which one has the most legs.

More legs is better. 4, 8, 1000, 100000000 legs is even better.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Heads up, I'll be starting a new schedule at work in the next week or two. Message me if you want the schedule, as I don't exactly want to post it online.

Additionally, I should be starting classes at the end of the month, but I haven't figure out my scheduling for that yet.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Note: Whenever you're back in downtime, Sylvie's going to retrain cunning brilliance into the newly posted ACF. Tepen might likewise do a bit of factotum retraining, not sure yet.
<Afina> Forever.