Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Misc stuff.

1. Spells, domain and otherwise.
2. Death/Decay druid for Iddy.
3: Stone colossus.
4. Add Jaela spells to Spell Collection.
5. Rework Duskblade epic casting spell selection. It's early work and it shows.
6. Living Vault.
7. Post Imix. He's about 75% done.
8. Jaela light stuff.

Beaming Blade
Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Clr 11, Pal 9
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0ft
Effect: 1 sword
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You create a sword of shining sunlight in your hand. You are automatically proficient with this weapon and it functions as a longsword+5, holy. The sword radiates bright light as if affected by a daylight spell with a doubled radius (bright light in a 120ft radius and dim illumination in a 120ft radius beyond that). If this weapon leaves your possession, it vanishes and the spell ends.

Whenever you successfully hit an evil creature with a melee attack from this sword, beams of light erupt from the blade. These beams seek out evil creatures within 120ft of you, striking them for 5d6 points of damage. No ranged attack roll is required, though spell resistance applies. Creatures weak to daylight, such as vampires, take 10d6 damage per beam instead.

You can only have one beaming blade at a time. If you cast this spell while you have a beaming blade active, the previous beaming blade spell ends.

This spell is a closely guarded secret of Lathander's faith and has not spread beyond it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Priest Guy: "Hey we've got this great spell for fighting evil and the forces of darkness!"

Head Priest: "TELL NO ONE OF THIS."
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

More miscellaneous spells. First two are done, the last will probably have a revision first. If nothing else, I need to decide what spell level if is (probably 10th) and who gets access to it.

Mass Magic Vestment
Transmutation
Level: Clr 7
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Targets: 1 creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30ft apart
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

This spell functions as magic vestment, except that it affects the armor and shields of all targets within the area of effect.

Mass Greater Magic Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Clr 8, Pal 7, Sor/Wiz 7
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Targets: 1 creature/level, no two of which can be more than 60ft apart
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

This spell functions as greater magic weapon except that it affects the weapons of all targets within the area of effect.

Create Living Spell
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: See text
Target: See text
Duration: Instantaneous

Create living spell is capable of creating living spells. The spell you create must be a spell you can cast (or another creature there can cast). The spell cannot be of a higher level than your caster level divided by three; for instance, a wizard with a caster level of 22 could select a 7th level or lower spell. At the end of the spell, a living spell using the spell you selected is created. A living spell created in this way will not attack or harm its creator.

The spell used to create the living spell is expended as if you cast it. Metamagic applied to the spell used does not affect the final outcome of this spell.

See creating a living spell in the Eberron Campaign Setting, page 294, for details on creating living spells.

Material Components

Gems and special materials worth 1000 * your caster level (or the caster level of the creature that cast the spell that is made into a living spell).

Focus

A fully stocked laboratory with a magical circle to hold the the spell energies in place. Creating such a laboratory and circle costs no less than 50,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 21, 2016, 04:24:24 PM
Priest Guy: "Hey we've got this great spell for fighting evil and the forces of darkness!"

Head Priest: "TELL NO ONE OF THIS."

Everyone has a few secrets and special tricks they prefer to keep to themselves.

When I use that for an epic spell (mostly cleric spells), it's a way of saying it's a spell known only to a single faith, but for whatever reason it is isn't tied to the initiate feat for that faith (unlike a few other epic spells).

This doesn't always last. Heresy's reward is noted to have been one of those once, but knowledge of it slowly spread to the rest of the Triad and eventually all the good aligned deities.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Two questions:
1) Is there a way to get multiple swift actions in the same turn? Feat, item, etc (homebrew or existing)? Some sort of ACF on Cunning Strike maybe? Asking because as I'm working on Ithea's sheet, I am reminded of just how many swift options she has that she ends up not getting to use simply because of that limitation.

2) We'd discussed a while back that once Ithea picks up Epic Spell Capacity that the duskblade spell list was fairly open and I could create new spells or grab existing ones that made sense/were within reason as the spell list seemed to only really have a lot of specific spells I generally had no interest in or benefited from at all. Is there any possibility of doing similar with pre-epic spells?

One of the frustrations I've had was that so many of her spells just DID NOT WORK because of circumstances, levels, or simply because flavor of the month meant that using certain spells would backfire. For example, dimension hop/door/regroup often can't be used due to epic characters planning around it or being in astral (I can't recall outside of ONE time being able to use Blink, and that was a spell I picked off some doohickey, so that was really lame), Dispel Magic has almost never worked since level 18 or so for Ithea, and Vampiric Touch seems to ocassionally fall under the 'okay, time to roll a fort or will save to avoid something bad happening to you for using a spell as intended' category...and even then it's still more reliable than Prismatic Touch which is the only higher level touch spell Ithea has access to.

Heck there's tons of spells I've had on my spell list and never even used, which always bugged me.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Nice avatar, Merc. I approve.

Multiaction [Epic]
Prerequisites: Improved Initiative, Blinding Speed, dex 25
Benefit: You gain another swift action per round. This may be spent paying for an immediate action, leaving you with one swift action to use that round or you may take two swift actions in the same round.
Special: This feat replaces multispell.

This is the simplest way for multiple swift actions in a single round. It's also the only one I've written, though an epic PrC that does the same's not unreasonable, nor are other homebrew options.

Re: Epic duskblade spells. I'm considering changing epic duskblade spells to selecting a spell that falls within certain parameters than a set list. To be honest, you could change duskblade in general to this and it wouldn't be terribly overpowered. I'm working up an epic level duskblade and I noticed the same problem, Ithea. So let me put a few options up to vote here. All of you, let me know which you'd prefer.

1. Pre epic duskblade casting remains the same, epic duskblade casting works off guidelines instead of set spells. For example, you can select spells that are either 1. Primarily damage dealing. 2. Dispels. 3. X utility that fits pre epic duskblade.

2. Greatly revise and expand the pre-epic duskblade spell list to account for the SC and other books, as well as expand epic duskblade casting to compensate. This is a lot of work and I will be recruiting volunteers to help with it.

3. Duskblade spellcasting turns into this: Each level you gain one new spell known. This spell can be any spell from the sor/wiz list of a level that you can cast. Plus side, duskblades have tons of new options for spells. Downside, they lose some of the early access to powerful spells at higher levels. This fundamentally changes the class's balance, though it's not as good as a serious gish build so I don't view it as broken. Could be wrong here.

None of these would change spells per day or the level you get access to new spell levels, so duskblade would remain a fighter/mage in a box rather than a highly optimized buld.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Revision. How's this look?

Create Living Spell
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: 0ft
Effect: 1 living spell
Duration: Instantaneous

Create living spell is capable of creating living spells. You create a living spell from a spell that you can cast and that fulfills the criteria below.

The living spell created must be a spell that you can cast, or alternately it may be a spell another creature assisting you can cast. The spell chosen cannot be of a higher level than your caster level divided by three. For instance, a wizard with a caster level of 21 could choose a 7th level or lower spell.

The living spell slowly forms as you cast this spell. If the casting of this spell is interrupted, the unfinished living spell dies and both this spell and the spell chosen are wasted. At the end of the spell, the living spell is finished. Once created, the living spell cannot be dispelled, it is as real as any other creature. A living spell you create is friendly to you and will not attack you.

The spell chosen to create the living spell is expended as if you cast it. Any metamagic applied to that spell does not effect the final outcome of this spell.

See creating a living spell in the Eberron Campaign Setting, page 294, for details on creating living spells.

Material Components

Gems and special materials worth 1000 * your caster level (or the caster level of the creature that cast the spell that is made into a living spell).

Focus

A fully stocked laboratory with a magical circle to hold the the spell energies in place. Creating such a laboratory and circle costs no less than 50,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I think it looks neat, and we'll have to try it. Are there any spells you just can't form, level aside? The spells are friendly to the caster, but it's not very clear how sentient they are or how the caster can interact with them, reviewing Eberron. Can you ask the Heal spell to stay at the infirmary, or summon it there over the PA/via Elena if it wanders away? Can you order the Flame Strike spell to lay off the friendly ice elementals?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 22, 2016, 12:35:03 PM
I think it looks neat, and we'll have to try it. Are there any spells you just can't form, level aside? The spells are friendly to the caster, but it's not very clear how sentient they are or how the caster can interact with them, reviewing Eberron. Can you ask the Heal spell to stay at the infirmary, or summon it there over the PA/via Elena if it wanders away? Can you order the Flame Strike spell to lay off the friendly ice elementals?

1. The limitations in the template are thus: The spell must have an area or effect, not targeted spells. Beyond that it's wide open, barring DM discretion. Obviously I won't approve hilarity like a living miracle spell, but beyond that I'm flexible.

2. Living spells have no Intelligence score. They are friendly to the caster only because of the spell. Simple words won't be effective on account of that, but magic to prod them or ways to hold them are possible.

3. While neutral, living spells tend to have an urge to hunt and kill. The one you were gifted is exempt from this, but since it's a moonfire spell in living form spell, odds are that can be chalked up to Selune. Ask Balyss, she could probably tell you more.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I do not have enough experience with duskblades to offer a helpful opinion.

Anastasia

On a quick side note, Ithea went with a B3 avatar. That's pretty neat, any of you feel like joining her?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

If I ever find a good rainbow pixie one.

I mean I could just use Ragyo, I guess.

No real opinion on the duskblade stuff btw.

Merc

Eb is all shiny now.

Feat seems like too much effort, but we'll see. I might poke later on that again.

For spells, option 2 would be my preferred but I'll see what I can come up with over the weekend as a preliminary proposal for that. If it's too much work, probably option 1. Not a great fan of 1 or 3, but of those, 1 seems better.

Anastasia

Yuth, where's that information about the Father from Murifinn's notes? Neph and I both can't lay hands on it.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

They're in Asmodeus' Lawn Ornament gallery.