News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: Daux

This series of books is written with a great deal of repetition and reinforcement. The entire writing style is highly ordered, as a preface explains this is desirable to better hold the often mutable lore of chaos.

Daux is a kelvezu assassin loyal to no demon lord, a free agent who kills for the highest bidder. He is skilled at the assassin's arts and nearly peerless with a short sword. His mastery of precise strikes and martial skill is noted amid the denizens of the Abyss as being a dangerous combination, one that keeps his services in high demand. Herein lies his weakness, for he seeks worthy opponents to test his blade against. When he finds them, he is prone to play with them. His few failures are said to have come from that, giving outmatched opponents a chance to rally.

As a demon without a lord, he has no particular protections beyond his own power. However, it's held he has a lair somewhere in the Abyss and under the protection of a demon lord who owes him a great debt. The precise demon lord is uncertain, though Graz'zt and Malcanthet are often rumored to be it.

Beyond his assassin's arts and martial skill, Daux owns a cloak that makes him undetectable. He wields Slip, an adamantine short sword that deals vile damage.

There is an appendix in the back by another author. It notes recent events have revealed Daux's patron: Pale Night, who has him serve Zquujaj the Traitor. Since then, his sword has run red with devil's blood.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

The entire book looks to be written in a numerical code. It's rather complicated.

Moore, you can attempt Decipher Script on it to decode the book.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

He will take 10 for 64 in that case if that's possible. He uses Divine Insight, Improvisation, Song of Fortune (Fatesinger skill) to get that high. He also will use the mission readiness arch in case there's bad juju knowledge in there for mind blank.

Anastasia

Sequential Numerology

This book is a tome aimed at expert numerologists. It takes about the power of strings of sequential numbers being woven together to enhance effects and better prime numerological magic. The material's largely beyond Moore, as it's deeply complex and aimed at an audience that has a knowledge base he lacks. However...

K:A check, Moore.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Take 10 for 79 in that case.

Anastasia

There's magical number sequences in here, but Moore can tell any attempt to use them would be folly. Powerful they may be, he can also discern he's simply not trained to use them safely. A less educated type may not realize that.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Moore will add finding a good home for this to his list of Things To Do.

Anastasia

Fighter Mastery

This book is a summary of the potential of a fighter. The results of reading this book depend on how many fighter levels the reader has.

If read by someone with no levels in fighter, they take 1d4 points of Strength damage and are fatigued.

If read by someone between 1 and 19 levels of fighter, they suffer no ill effect but realize the book's contents are beyond them.

If read by someone with 20 or more levels in fighter, they may choose one of the benefits below.

Versatile Fighter: Select a fighter alternate class feature you do not possess. You gain that alternate class feature without having to trade other class features for it. You must fulfill any prerequisites it has to take it.
Basics Mastery: You gain any two of the following feats as bonus feats: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack, Toughness, Weapon Focus.
Exotic Mastery: You gain proficiency with all exotic weapons OR exotic armors.

Once used in this manner, the book's magic is expended.

---

Y'all have any suggestions on which she chooses?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

She could take Versatile Fighter and gain the Resolute ACF, sacrifice half her bab for a bonus of the same amount to her will save. Good for making important saves but if she wants to play defence it combos ridiculously with Armour of God.

Anastasia

I was thinking that or one of the warrior of x ones. Maybe Eldritch Juggernaught for SR, though it arguably doesn't work with her mithral armor plus armored savant making armor use lighter for her. Technically bonded armor doesn't work since mithral makes it not heavy armor anyway, so I'm playing a bit loose with it in any case.

The feats aren't a bad option but boring, mostly if she wants to retrain a bit. Not sure for what, though.

The exotics are nice but not useful for her. She's not going to use exotic armor or weapons.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Neph & Ko: I'll be fleshing out Muirfinn's Journal throughout the day. Hopefully I can finish it today, but I don't know. 
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 28, 2016, 02:41:11 PM
Neph & Ko: I'll be fleshing out Muirfinn's Journal throughout the day. Hopefully I can finish it today, but I don't know.

Sure thing.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 28, 2016, 02:41:11 PM

Thanks, be careful in the seas.

Yuthirin

Friendly reminder that the stones mentioned here: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,102520.msg1039986.html#msg1039986 should still be available for use by those who desire them. I don't have the exact specifics anymore, but I'm certain that Dune has them somewhere.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Are those the combo stones?
<Afina> Forever.