News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Some things from last night's chat that are worth saving.

1. Numerology in Balmuria

<Iddy> Sure. I'm not really sure why you asked me, I don't think I've ever encountered that NPC (Glitterosm, a numerologist).
> Well, Yuth put it up to all of you.
<Iddy> Ah, gotcha.
<Iddy> I don't even know what numerology is.
> In short, it's the belief and study in numbers tied to supernatural and mystical occurrences.
> For example, seeing 666 and assigning meaning to it.
> In Balmuria it tends to be a thing and occur, sometimes obviously and sometimes subtly or invisibly. The study of it is called numerology and ties into a lot of setting themes.
> For example, 9 tends to be tied to Baator  (the Nine Hells, after all).
> 21 is another example - it's a tool used by the Three Incarnations to understand evil. 7 is a number tied to the Heavens and good, while 3 is a number tied to truth and power. 7*3=21.
<Iddy> Ahhh.
> The invitation in Afina's thread has a total of 18 devils slated to show up there. 9*2=18. 9 is the number of Baator and 2 is the number of dualogy and the study of the soul. As the meeting is about Muirfinn and the fate of his soul, that's rather fitting.
> Surraruthru and party makes 4. 4's the number of death, which is an interesting number to take when you seek to end something like Secretus. There's a whole lot of numerological play, most of which isn't pointed out but there if you pay attention.
> In the most basic sense, you'll see 7 in relation to the Heavens a lot, 9 for Baator, 8 for Limbo/chaos and 6 for the Abyss.
<Iddy> Huh. Neat.
<Iddy> Hopefully our 4 - death means death for Secretus >.>
> Yes.
<Iddy> And not us <.<
> The number 1 represents the self. Hard to work in much since 1 is such a common number but paradoxically it's one of the most important, since the self is critical.
> Indeed.
> 3's the number to really watch out for when it starts showing up. 3 represents truth and power, and it came up from the Guardian of 21 that it means what it does because of the Three Incarnations. The number 3 resonates with the simple truth of there being 3 overpowers in Creation.
> The trick is, of course, figuring out when it occurs and when it's usefully telling you something. Most numerologists study how to discern and parse it effectively, which is most of the work.

2. Numerology and the Sword of Myr, as well as 21

<Iddy> So if 21 counts along with the Sword of Myr, there should/might be a third artifact based around truth and the destruction of lies. Hmm.
> 21's an anomaly, since as a tool of the Incarnations, it's essentially beyond Creation's rules and laws. Anything involving 21 has to bear that in mind, beyond the simple (and quite grandiose) claim its very name makes. If you are on the ball about that, it would stand to reason that's a possibility.
> Pared down simply, 21's name could be reasonably translated as GoodPower or GoodTruth.
> Considering it can obliterate the souls of evil creatures and bring final death to divinity, its name is probably accurate.
<Iddy> Hm. Well, it's interesting. I'll start paying attention to it. Didn't even know it was a thing.
> It's worth keeping an eye on. Sometimes it means nothing or is coincidental, but sometimes it can be a huge clue.
> The trick that a serious numerologist in setting strives to master is figuring out which is which.
> It's an art.

3. Numerology and magic

> Like for example, there are nine (mortal) circles of magic before epic magic. There's also nine layers of Hell. More than a few devils have tried to mislead mortals and draw a connection there and that magic comes from Baator. It's a filthy lie, sometimes numbers are just numbers. About 30 to 40% of numerologists in setting quit or go nuts trying to parse it (going nuts doesn't mean you don't get it, they may very well get it but the damage is done).
<Iddy> I'm begging to imagine a numerologist based on The Question.
> That's fairly accurate for some, yes.
<Nephrite> I'm sure there've been some numerologists that argued that there is also the 0th circle of magic so there would technically be 10 circles of mortal magic.
> http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,102889.msg1047332.html#msg1047332 Read Muirfinn's conversation with the Man of the Winds. While he's not a numerologist and doesn't get his insight via numerology, his mental state is one a numerologist who succeeds but loses their mind could easily end up at.
> Oh yes, and since there's more after the 9th it rather falls apart.
<Nephrite> Ah, note to self, have Moore take the diary to our new friend and see if he can puzzle the numbers out.
> That's really a hazard of the occupation - making mistakes or simply using bad data to draw numerological conclusions.
<Iddy> Wouldn't cantrips be considered 0 circle?
* Kotono wavers hand back and forth. More or less.
> The exact definition varies a bit - some consider them to be simply sub-1st level spells rather than a distinct circle of their own.
> I personally don't consider them a circle, but from the DM's point of view it doesn't matter a lot.
> Now OOC, it's not going to drive you crazy or anything. Just keep tabs on it when it seems interesting or relevant. It can help or simply signify things.

4. Miscellaneous numerological comments

> A few other things: Multiplication tends to be the most potent means of expressing numerology, but it isn't the only one. Example: 7*3=21 as stated before. Division is much rarer because it means loss and entropy.

<Iddy> What's 0?
<Iddy> I don't see a thing for it in the post.
> Null. Empty. Some numerologist tie to Shar, others simply disregard it. For most calculations it doesn't matter.

> That's really the maddening part of it, yeah. It's trying to directly interpret Creation based on patterns and recurring numbers.
> In Balmuria, numerologist madness and suicide rates are ghastly compared to average. There's incredible insight and power if you're the one of the ones who can do it, but man it's brutal.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

The succubus shop doesn't sell succubi, it sells dreams!

And honestly an Oneiromancy shop would fit in just as well with the roster we've got.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on November 03, 2016, 03:17:30 PM
The succubus shop doesn't sell succubi, it sells dreams!

And honestly an Oneiromancy shop would fit in just as well with the roster we've got.

Filthy, shameless oneiromancy, eh?

How horrifying.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"No sapients were hurt in the making of these dreams."
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

I'd be interested in making a higher level version of Improvisation that lasts 10m/level, maybe with a higher max cap (like 3x bard level of points) but the total bonus remaining one-half bard level. Nots sure where that'd land if it'd even be acceptable.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on November 03, 2016, 08:41:52 PM
I'd be interested in making a higher level version of Improvisation that lasts 10m/level, maybe with a higher max cap (like 3x bard level of points) but the total bonus remaining one-half bard level. Nots sure where that'd land if it'd even be acceptable.

Improvisation is an excellent spell. So good in fact it was originally a 5th level bard spell in Complete Adventurer. I don't really agree with making it a first level spell, as honestly, it's still good as a 5th level bard spell.

So any improvement to is going to be viewed more critically than normal. Bear that in mind and write up the changes you'd like.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Greater Improvisation
Transmutation
Level: Bard 7 (8?),
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level

This spell functions as Improvisation, except as noted above. In addition, the 'pool' of luck is three times your caster level.

Anastasia

Trivia Time.

1. Do divinities who cast divine magic grant their own spells?

Yes. Creatures with divine rank 0 or higher simply grant their own spells, even if they were previously a cleric serving a deity. Likewise, such a creature serves as their own holy symbol, they do not need to wield one. For such a creature, they need not worry about their deity granting them different spells than desired, though they still can't provide spells opposed to their own nature (such as a lawful good deity providing them self with chaotic or evil descriptor spells).

This doesn't apply to proxies or certain abominations.

2. Do divinities who are also warlocks grant their own powers?

Yes. This can happen earlier than divinity. An epic level warlock who becomes something more than mortal, usually an outsider though other types such as fey, dragon or undead are possible, may be able to draw on their own power. Warlock powers draw on eldritch energies mortals normally don't have access to. A character of that power isn't so limited and may be able to strike out on their own.

The free agent feat below allows a warlock to strike out on their own. It's mostly a fluff feat, as there's little mechanical impetus for a warlock to serve their dark powers, it's all flavor. So do bear that in mind, it's great if you're playing the dark and tragic type, but someone like Mei would find it useless.

In any case, a creature with divine rank 0 or higher is their own patron. They don't need the free agent feat to do it, they're become something far greater than other creatures and are thus beyond the influence of a patron.

Free Agent [Epic]
Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast+10d6, one of the following types: dragon, fey, outsider or undead
Benefit: You are more than mortal and no longer bound to the demands of your dark patrons. Through intense study you become something that can channel the infernal energies of a warlock directly and thus grant yourself your own powers. This frees you from any demands from your former patrons, though they may attempt revenge against you. Your power is your own no matter how dark, you no longer have any internal struggle over your tortured soul and may be any alignment you wish without impact on your warlock powers.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Is Greater Mighty Wallop Eldrich Tapestry legal?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Refresh me on tapestry rules?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

You can't affect objects with spells cast into your eldritch tapestry, even if those objects are held by your allies (for instance, you can't use eldritch tapestry to deliver a greater magic weapon spell).

Found it. Missed it twice when I read through it, it's like a single line mention at the end. The target of Wallop is a bludgeoning melee weapon, so it shouldn't be legal. Unless you wanna get weird with monk weapons being their body.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on November 16, 2016, 02:13:36 AM
You can't affect objects with spells cast into your eldritch tapestry, even if those objects are held by your allies (for instance, you can't use eldritch tapestry to deliver a greater magic weapon spell).

Found it. Missed it twice when I read through it, it's like a single line mention at the end. The target of Wallop is a bludgeoning melee weapon, so it shouldn't be legal. Unless you wanna get weird with monk weapons being their body.

An monk's unarmed strikes can be treated as manufactured or natural weapons, whichever is more advantageous to them in a given situation. As a natural weapon is part of a creature's body, it's not a distinct object and could thus be targeted by greater mighty wallop in an eldritch tapestry. However, it would only be legal for monks or creatures with natural attacks.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Surraruthru gains Half-Celestial Template! Loses 4 levels of Monk. Monk BAB and Saves increase the same as Outsider, so those don't change. Likewise, they also use the same Hit Die, so that doesn't change.

Monk Losses:
Chaos Monk 12: Displacing Stance (50%), Wall Walker 60 ft. (ACF)
Chaos Monk 13: Diamond Soul
Chaos Monk 14: Wall Walker 70 ft. (ACF)
Chaos Monk 15: Quivering Palm

Half Celestial Gains:
Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4.
+48 HP
+16 Skill Points
+1 Natural Armor
SLAs: Protection from evil 3/day, bless, Aid, detect evil, Cure serious wounds, neutralize poison, Holy smite, remove disease, Dispel evil, Holy word, Holy aura 3/day, hallow, Mass charm monster, Summon monster IX (celestials only), Resurrection
Daylight (Su), Smite Evil (Su), Immunity to Disease, Spell Resistance 34, Resistance 10 to Acid/Cold/Electricity, Damage Reduction 10/Magic

Anastasia

Okay, make sure to adjust your unarmed damage for the loss of four monk levels. Any monk AC bonus as well, if it works out that way.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Already did on the unarmed damage, and I wear armor, so no monk AC. I was to multi-attribute to really do Wis to Armor effectively.