News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 07, 2017, 09:27:31 AM
I'm not sure what the proper level for this spell should be, so feel free to modify. I also don't know if it's too strong!

Acoustics
Transmutation (Evocation?)
Level: Bard 7 (8?),
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 50 ft burst, centered on you
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

This spell creates an area of magical energy that empowers bardic music. As long as you are heard within this area, your bardic music continues to affect you and your allies as if you were continuing to maintain it. If you or your allies leave this area, then the standard amount of time takes effect as if you had stopped using your bardic music.

I swear there's a spell that already does this, though the name of it escapes me. Can anyone dig it up?

QuoteGood Hope, Greater
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 7 (8?)
Components:   V, S
Casting Time:   1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: One living creature/level, no two of which may be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration:   1 min./level
Saving Throw:   Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell functions as good hope, except the targets receive +4 morale bonuses.

In addition, those affected by this spell receive the benefits of heart's ease.

If It ends up being Bard 8 then the morale bonus could probably go to +5.

See this from houserules, it's close to an improved good hope.

Surge of Hope
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Initiate of Seira 6
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Targets: 1 living creature/level, no two of which may be more than 30 ft apart
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell functions as good hope, except that it grants a +4 morale bonus instead of +2. In addition, the targets are immune to fear for the duration of the spell.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

The one I think you're thinking of is Sonorous Hum and there's also that Echoing ability from the MIC.

As for Surge of Hope, that'd be fine too, but it doesn't currently let Bards use it, so you'd have to fix that!

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on January 07, 2017, 09:37:45 AM
Call Wild Hunt, Lesser
Conjuration (Calling)
Level: Sor/Wiz 11, Drd 11
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft+5ft/2 levels)
Effect: One called creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This powerful calling summons one of the Wild Hunt's hounds to do the caster's bidding. The creature serves faithfully and will obey orders from the summoner at all times unless directly overridden by the Master of the Hunt.

To cast this spell safely, a pact with Seelie or Unseelie Court is required. This pact must be made in the presence of a noble fey of at least 21 HD. The pact requires offering something of material or spiritual worth to the Court in question. As a rule of thumb, no less than 100,000 gold should be acceptable, though deeds or services of an immaterial nature are often preferred. If this spell is cast without such a pact in place, it ranges from failing to various levels of backfiring. In certain cases it may work as normal if the interests of the caster and his intentions serve fey-kind, but this is rare.

Calling this a lesser version since you only get one hound. I figure there could be a 15th level or so spell that summons the master plus a random number of hounds, but that's a matter for another time.

Something like this?

Call the Wild Hound
Conjuration (Calling)
Level: Drd 11, Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S, F (see text)
Range: Closer (25 + 5ft 2/levels)
Effect: One called hound of the hunt
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This powerful calling summons one of the Wild Hunt's hounds to do the caster's bidding. The creature serves faithfully and will obey orders from the summoner unless overridden by the Master of the Hunt.

To cast this spell safely, a pact with Seelie or Unseelie Court is required. This pact must be made in the presence of a noble fey of at least 21 HD. The pact requires offering something of material or spiritual worth to the Court in question. As a rule of thumb, no less than 100,000 gold should be acceptable, though deeds or services of an immaterial nature are often preferred. If this spell is cast without such a pact in place, it ranges from failing to various levels of backfiring. In certain cases it may work as normal if the interests of the caster and his intentions serve fey-kind, but this is rare.

Focus

The pact described above. Unlike normal focuses, the spell can be cast without it, but risks backfiring or failure as described above.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Yeah, that looks good. I'll take it.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 07, 2017, 01:17:03 PM
The one I think you're thinking of is Sonorous Hum and there's also that Echoing ability from the MIC.

As for Surge of Hope, that'd be fine too, but it doesn't currently let Bards use it, so you'd have to fix that!

There's nothing preventing you from researching the spell and adding it as a bard spell. The spell itself is relatively new, as it was made at the end of B1. It's an Initiate of Seira spell only largely because of that. A bard who gets his hands on the notes for the spell from a caster could see about making it a bard spell.

Kascha knows the spell if you want to try that.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Sure, he can look into that.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 07, 2017, 01:32:14 PM
Sure, he can look into that.

Done. Surge of Hope is now a bard 6 spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Nephrite on January 07, 2017, 01:17:03 PM

Sorry, it's not Echoing, it's "Harmonizing" but it is from the MIC. Note to self, add Harmonizing to the harp.

Nephrite

Bard 25//Fatesinger 11

1 on a d6 (this seems a common theme this time around) for 9 HP and a total of 286. He gets +1 SR which is also nice. +1 bab which is completely worthless but that's okay. Nothing else terribly exciting here.

His various skills go up and Bardic Knack goes up to +13 in anything, which is nice.

On the Bard side he gets 1 more level 8th spell which I'm still working on a custom spell for (if it even ends up being 8th...) worst case he'll probably take something like Great Shadow Evocation which isn't awful.

On the Favored Soul side he gets a new 4th, 5th, and 6th level spell as well as 3 7th level spells, wow. This will take some homework, but I'm pretty sure Greater Planeshift will be one of the 7th level ones.

Anastasia

Sylvie reaches level 24.

- Factotum 24 and Chameleon 14.
- 8 on a d8 for a total of 16 hit points and a grand total of 321 hit points. Yay, someone broke the 1 train.
- +1 BAB for a total of 24.
- Sylvie gains a 7th level arcane spell slot. She selects greater teleport again since she needs those.
- Sylvie gains a 7th level divine spell slot. She selects greater planeshift since she needs those too.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Intelligence for a total of 40. Sylvie be mindnumbingly smart now.
- Skills go up as normal.
- She gains the following feats: Epic Toughness(24)(Max HP is now 369), Triple Aptitude(C14, combat focus is the default and worked into her statblock, +4 attacks/damage/fort) and Source of Inspiration(F24)

That's a pretty awesome level for her. All three feats are great for her, especially source of inspiration. Being able to use factotum abilities on others instead of yourself? Yowza.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 07, 2017, 07:29:04 PMOn the Favored Soul side he gets a new 4th, 5th, and 6th level spell as well as 3 7th level spells, wow. This will take some homework, but I'm pretty sure Greater Planeshift will be one of the 7th level ones.

Would recommend it. It's quality of life if nothing else, since being able to travel on your own is important in epic planar adventures.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on January 07, 2017, 08:21:52 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on January 07, 2017, 07:29:04 PMOn the Favored Soul side he gets a new 4th, 5th, and 6th level spell as well as 3 7th level spells, wow. This will take some homework, but I'm pretty sure Greater Planeshift will be one of the 7th level ones.

Would recommend it. It's quality of life if nothing else, since being able to travel on your own is important in epic planar adventures.

Agreed. The Gate item is good for groups of people or whatever but it's good for him to have different ways of getting to and fro.

Anastasia

Elder Magi Tepen reaches level 24.

- Wizard 24 and Factotum 4.
- 8 on a d8 for a total of 16 hit points and a grand total of 276 hit points. Clearly being Sylvie or knowing Sylvie well is the key to avoid the dreaded hit dice 1s.
- +1 BAB for a total of 17.
- Gains 1 10th level and 2 11th level spell slots. He selects another heightened banishment for the 10th level spell. For the 11ths, he selects fog trap and superb dispelling.
- Gains a second AD spell. He selects magic missile since that casting's superfluous to him anyway.
- Gains cunning strike. Eh. If Tepen's in melee things have gone terribly wrong anyway.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Intelligence for a total of 36. This grands him another 1st, 5th and 9th level spell slots. He selects magic missile, break enchantment and wish.
- Skills go up as normal. Also he now has an additional skill point to play with, which he'll invest into craft(alchemy).
- He gains the following feat: Epic Toughness(24). This is sort of a handwave since I don't feel improved metamagic is worth it for him right now and I'm not sure what I want to do with his epic metamagic options.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Note to self: Go back to other +ints before this and check non epic spells + skills.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Adrian reaches level 24.

- Rogue 15 and Planar Champion 12.
- 9 on a d10 for a total of 18 hit points and a grand total of 358 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 24.
- +1 spell resistance for a total of 34.
- +1d6 sneak attack for a total of 8d6. More sneak attack is always useful.
- Damage reduction improves to 15/epic. Still not great at this level, but it may matter some now.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Charisma to a total of 15.
- Skills go up as normal.
- He gains the following feat: Pulverize(24). This is a net +7 damage with his greatsword and +6 with his claws.

Solid level. Pulverize really makes it and makes sure his unaugmented damage is still near the top of the boards.
<Afina> Forever.