News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

[17:05] <Nephrite> roll 1d20+11+13+4 (greater improvisation, surge of hope)
[17:05] <Serith> Nephrite roll for Serith < 29 > [d20=1]

Corwin

I'd like to swap some spells known on the Favored Soul side.

For lvl1, I'd like to take Comprehend Languages instead of Shield of Faith.

For lvl3, I'd like to take Vision of the Omniscient Eye and Invisibility Purge instead of Divine Retaliation and Fell the Greatest Foe.

For lvl4, I'd like to take Mystic Aegis instead of Celestial Brilliance.

For lvl5, I'd like to take Break Enchantment instead of Meteoric Strike.

For lvl7, I'd like to take Disintegrate as per http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1036007.html#msg1036007 instead of Planar Bubble.

For lvl8, I'd like to take Brilliant Aura instead of Greater Spell Immunity.

For lvl9, I'd like to take Summon Monster IX instead of Etherealness.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Speaking of Celestial Brilliance, the spell itself annoys me so I want to rewrite it into something that's more useful and easier on the upkeep.

Celestial Brilliance:
Spoiler: ShowHide
(Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 94)

Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Cleric 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4, Glory (BoED) 4,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: 1 day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The object touched sheds light brighter than bright sunlight, channeled directly from the celestial realms. The light extends to a 120-foot radius: bright light to 60 feet and dim light in another 60 feet.

Creatures with light sensitivity take twice the usual penalty when they are within 60 feet of the object. Undead creatures take 1d6 points of damage each round they are within the bright light. Evil outsiders, as well as undead creatures that are specifically harmed by sunlight, take 2d6 points of damage each round in the bright light.

Celestial brilliance brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Celestial brilliance counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level, such as deeper darkness.

Jaela's Brilliance:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: ???
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The weapon touched sheds light brighter than bright sunlight, channeled directly from the celestial realms. The light extends to a 120-foot radius: bright light to 60 feet and dim light in another 60 feet.

Creatures with light sensitivity take twice the usual penalty when they are within 60 feet of the weapon. Undead creatures take 1d6 points of damage with each hit with the weapon. Evil outsiders, as well as undead creatures that are specifically harmed by sunlight, take 2d6 points of damage from each hit with the weapon.

Brilliance brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Brilliance counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level, such as deeper darkness.

The idea is that you don't precast it for the following month, and that you don't have to see who's within your aura and where. Instead, you just add it directly to your weapon's stats in the anti-devil cheat sheet~

If this spell works for you, which level would it be?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Prince Westwind is up. Jaela's brother is next, though probably not until tomorrow night or Tuesday. Possibly later since DM work is a grind.

Notes:

- Prince Westwind uses the grand caliph template. It's over on the R&S board.
- In general, he focuses on three things. Tripping, crits and aerial mobility. His normal routine is to do a flyby attack. Assuming that hits and he deals 10 or more damage, he gets a free trip attempt. If that goes through, he gets a free attack plus a free windblast from his scythe. If that hit connects, the target also has to make a save or be unable to rise from prone or move for 1 round. Against a single opponent, he attempts to use this to keep them on the ropes until he gets a crit or enough normal hits to win. Against groups he mixes it up, trying to keep the enemies able to keep up with him down and avoiding the ones that can't.
- Of the characters I've posted or made public, he's now the new king of critical hits. 18-20 x7 beats the Father's 18-20 x6. Of course, the Father's base damage of 30d10 is markedly better than the damage Westwind can bring to the table, but details.
- Splendor has a whole lot of history behind it. Might come up sometime. FYI, he's used his yearly charge fairly recently.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2017, 05:05:41 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 04:14:54 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2017, 02:44:56 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 12:44:17 PM
The Lost Chalice

What languages do you speak, Tryll? Matters for this book.

Common, Auran, Celestial, Infernal, Demonic, Draconic, Ignan, Terran

It should probably be more, based on his Int mod, but I never filled it out. Unless I can do that now. >_>

Go ahead and let me know.

On review, I have the correct number of languages. Int mod only affects number of languages known based on what your character has mod-wise at the start of the game. Increases in Int don't necessarily mean instant additional languages. Alas.

Right. Incidentally, it's Abyssal, not Demonic. Anyway.

The Lost Chalice

The book talks about the Knights of the Chalice, an organization dedicated to recovering a lost holy chalice from Hell. The details on it are sketchy and lost to history, but it's believed to have been owned by Tyr and lost ages before his fall. That is not true. The truth has been obscured.

Most of the book is straightforward and factual. The Knights of the Chalice currently believe the Lost Chalice resides somewhere in Dis. Several expeditions have been mounted to recover it, but as of now, all have failed. Nevertheless, they keep trying. In the meantime, they are a solid group of holy warriors who oppose fiends in all forms. They are heroes, champions and the righteous, with fiendslaying techniques and powerful magic. All to save me. You who can read beyond reading and listen beyond listening, hear my voice.

The group is spread across countless Prime Material worlds, a recurring group allied to the Triad and various groups tied to Mount Celestia. While they have not recovered the Lost Chalice, they have without a doubt done a great deal of good. The Knights strive to improve and to one day recover what was lost. As such, they are often opposed by the servants of Hell and the servants of Dispater in particular. I reside a prisoner in Dis. Free me so I can speak to my father. Free me for a better world. Free me, you of noble heart, because it is the right thing to do.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 05:09:51 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 04:19:23 PM
Okay. She'll either take an ACF or take the divine feats. Lemme look.

Charging smite, 4 bonus feats from the spell trader or the two divine feats. Suggestions, Jaela? She's really feat starved so all of those have a ton of merit to her.

Let's trade spells! After all, it'd be more than 4 feats since it logically continues into epic, right?

It does not.

I could spin you some bullshit about justifying it, but it's primarily a balance choice. They'd end up with 21+3 and 23+3 feat progression for epic levels, decided awhile ago I wasn't happy with how that balanced. It really hasn't come up since normally only NPCs take that ACF as well as enough paladin levels for it to matter.

That all being said she'll probably take it anyways since it helps her tons, but just a heads up.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 05:11:10 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 04:22:45 PM
Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 03:53:37 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on May 02, 2012, 05:28:43 PM
Quote from: Corwin on May 01, 2012, 12:52:57 PM
Rituals of Mineral

[08:28] <Shizuru> I'll roll the int check. I'll assume it's not an opposed one so moment of prescience doesn't apply.
[08:28] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+6
[08:28] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+6 and gets 21." [1d20=15]

Jaela can puzzle out that this entire book is a code. It suggests there is a greater ritual hid within it - but she can't puzzle it out herself.

It's been ages and several levels back, even my Int is higher now. Can I try again?

Go for it.

[23:08] <@Rin> roll 1d20+8+2 int, good hope
[23:08] <Serith> Rin roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=12]

Swing and a miss again.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 27, 2017, 12:03:37 AMRight. Incidentally, it's Abyssal, not Demonic. Anyway.

The Lost Chalice

The book talks about the Knights of the Chalice, an organization dedicated to recovering a lost holy chalice from Hell. The details on it are sketchy and lost to history, but it's believed to have been owned by Tyr and lost ages before his fall. That is not true. The truth has been obscured.

Most of the book is straightforward and factual. The Knights of the Chalice currently believe the Lost Chalice resides somewhere in Dis. Several expeditions have been mounted to recover it, but as of now, all have failed. Nevertheless, they keep trying. In the meantime, they are a solid group of holy warriors who oppose fiends in all forms. They are heroes, champions and the righteous, with fiendslaying techniques and powerful magic. All to save me. You who can read beyond reading and listen beyond listening, hear my voice.

The group is spread across countless Prime Material worlds, a recurring group allied to the Triad and various groups tied to Mount Celestia. While they have not recovered the Lost Chalice, they have without a doubt done a great deal of good. The Knights strive to improve and to one day recover what was lost. As such, they are often opposed by the servants of Hell and the servants of Dispater in particular. I reside a prisoner in Dis. Free me so I can speak to my father. Free me for a better world. Free me, you of noble heart, because it is the right thing to do.
Tryll can feel the presence of...something. Obfuscation? Mental interference? No! There's a message in the book! He can hear it! Tryll knows where the Lost Chalice is! He heads for Morniel post-haste!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on February 24, 2017, 05:13:26 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 04:23:50 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on February 24, 2017, 04:18:40 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 01:17:02 PM
Bard Mastery

This book is the summary of the potential of a bard. The results of reading this book depend on how many bard levels the reader has.

If read by someone with no levels in bard, they take 1d4 points of Charisma damage and are fatigued.

If read by someone with 1 to 19 levels of bard, they suffer no ill effects but realize the book's contents are beyond them.

If read by someone with 20 or more levels in bard, tey  may choose one of the benefits below.

Versatile Bard: Select a bard alternate class feature you do not possess. You gain this alternate class feature without having to trade other class features for it. You must fulfill any prerequisite it has to take it.
Charming Bard: You can cast charm monster at will as a spell-like ability.
Musical Training: You gain versatile performer as a bonus feat. You may use your Charisma modifier in place of your Intelligence modifier for the sake of that feat.

---

More, you have 25 levels of bard so you're in category three. Choose as you will.

Screw it, sticking with Nature Bard. Let's do this.

Okay, and what was your question about 20+ level and animal companions?

What are the actual animal options, do they increase? Could we look at options from Celestia, perhaps from Erathaol's Magical Animal Farm? (Obviously not a 50 HD Dire bear, alas)

There's also what appears to be conflicting info on how they scale at epic.

That's technically not an ACF. But just grabbing the animal companion's fine since that seems like the intent there.

What's the conflicting info about epic animal companions?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 27, 2017, 12:25:36 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 27, 2017, 12:03:37 AMRight. Incidentally, it's Abyssal, not Demonic. Anyway.

The Lost Chalice

Tryll can feel the presence of...something. Obfuscation? Mental interference? No! There's a message in the book! He can hear it! Tryll knows where the Lost Chalice is! He heads for Morniel post-haste!

Okay, put that on your todo list first thing, once you're done with your current task.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 05:36:21 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on May 02, 2012, 05:28:43 PM
Quote[08:31] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+18 Dispel Evil
[08:31] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+18 Dispel Evil and gets 22." [1d20=4]
[08:32] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+17 Dispel Law, Hanna
[08:32] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+17 Dispel Law, Hanna and gets 24." [1d20=7]

Swing and a miss.

Okay, so lots and lots of log-diving found what this refers to.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,102070.0.html
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,102075.msg1030966.html#msg1030966

Just search for "Book of Truth".

Anyways, I don't recall actually breaking it so once Hanna is better let's try this thing again.

Cool, todo list it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Re: Int checks for Tryll and Moore. Both managed to fail them, including a breath-taking natural 1 by Moore.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 27, 2017, 12:32:06 AM
Re: Int checks for Tryll and Moore. Both managed to fail them, including a breath-taking natural 1 by Moore.

Gracious.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 07:27:28 PM
I'd like to swap some spells known on the Favored Soul side.

For lvl1, I'd like to take Comprehend Languages instead of Shield of Faith.

For lvl3, I'd like to take Vision of the Omniscient Eye and Invisibility Purge instead of Divine Retaliation and Fell the Greatest Foe.

For lvl4, I'd like to take Mystic Aegis instead of Celestial Brilliance.

For lvl5, I'd like to take Break Enchantment instead of Meteoric Strike.

For lvl7, I'd like to take Disintegrate as per http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1036007.html#msg1036007 instead of Planar Bubble.

For lvl8, I'd like to take Brilliant Aura instead of Greater Spell Immunity.

For lvl9, I'd like to take Summon Monster IX instead of Etherealness.

Sounds good all around.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 27, 2017, 12:35:20 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 27, 2017, 12:32:06 AM

Gracious.

Heh, sorry. A bit of humor during DM work makes it go down smoother.
<Afina> Forever.