News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on February 27, 2017, 12:29:09 AM

That's technically not an ACF. But just grabbing the animal companion's fine since that seems like the intent there.

What's the conflicting info about epic animal companions?

I think there were previous notes about animal companions that didn't get updated to 3.5 -- but it looks like what's on the SRD matches what else I can find online, so I think we're good there.

Getting just the animal companion is fine.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 07:40:58 PM
Speaking of Celestial Brilliance, the spell itself annoys me so I want to rewrite it into something that's more useful and easier on the upkeep.

Celestial Brilliance:
Spoiler: ShowHide
(Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 94)

Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Cleric 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4, Glory (BoED) 4,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: 1 day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The object touched sheds light brighter than bright sunlight, channeled directly from the celestial realms. The light extends to a 120-foot radius: bright light to 60 feet and dim light in another 60 feet.

Creatures with light sensitivity take twice the usual penalty when they are within 60 feet of the object. Undead creatures take 1d6 points of damage each round they are within the bright light. Evil outsiders, as well as undead creatures that are specifically harmed by sunlight, take 2d6 points of damage each round in the bright light.

Celestial brilliance brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Celestial brilliance counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level, such as deeper darkness.

Jaela's Brilliance:

Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: ???
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

The weapon touched sheds light brighter than bright sunlight, channeled directly from the celestial realms. The light extends to a 120-foot radius: bright light to 60 feet and dim light in another 60 feet.

Creatures with light sensitivity take twice the usual penalty when they are within 60 feet of the weapon. Undead creatures take 1d6 points of damage with each hit with the weapon. Evil outsiders, as well as undead creatures that are specifically harmed by sunlight, take 2d6 points of damage from each hit with the weapon.

Brilliance brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Brilliance counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level, such as deeper darkness.

The idea is that you don't precast it for the following month, and that you don't have to see who's within your aura and where. Instead, you just add it directly to your weapon's stats in the anti-devil cheat sheet~

If this spell works for you, which level would it be?

It doesn't quite work for me, since the transference from an aura to a per hit thing is a radical change to execution and balance.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on February 27, 2017, 12:39:24 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 27, 2017, 12:29:09 AM

That's technically not an ACF. But just grabbing the animal companion's fine since that seems like the intent there.

What's the conflicting info about epic animal companions?

I think there were previous notes about animal companions that didn't get updated to 3.5 -- but it looks like what's on the SRD matches what else I can find online, so I think we're good there.

Getting just the animal companion is fine.

Okay.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 27, 2017, 12:40:02 AM
Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 07:40:58 PM
Speaking of Celestial Brilliance, the spell itself annoys me so I want to rewrite it into something that's more useful and easier on the upkeep.

Celestial Brilliance:
(Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 94)

Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Cleric 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4, Glory (BoED) 4,
Target: Object touched
Duration: 1 day/level (D)

The object touched sheds light brighter than bright sunlight, channeled directly from the celestial realms. The light extends to a 120-foot radius: bright light to 60 feet and dim light in another 60 feet.

Creatures with light sensitivity take twice the usual penalty when they are within 60 feet of the object. Undead creatures take 1d6 points of damage each round they are within the bright light. Evil outsiders, as well as undead creatures that are specifically harmed by sunlight, take 2d6 points of damage each round in the bright light.

Celestial brilliance brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Celestial brilliance counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level, such as deeper darkness.

Jaela's Brilliance:

Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: ???
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

The weapon touched sheds light brighter than bright sunlight, channeled directly from the celestial realms. The light extends to a 120-foot radius: bright light to 60 feet and dim light in another 60 feet.

Creatures with light sensitivity take twice the usual penalty when they are within 60 feet of the weapon. Undead creatures take 1d6 points of damage with each hit with the weapon. Evil outsiders, as well as undead creatures that are specifically harmed by sunlight, take 2d6 points of damage from each hit with the weapon.

Brilliance brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Brilliance counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level, such as deeper darkness.

The idea is that you don't precast it for the following month, and that you don't have to see who's within your aura and where. Instead, you just add it directly to your weapon's stats in the anti-devil cheat sheet~

If this spell works for you, which level would it be?

It doesn't quite work for me, since the transference from an aura to a per hit thing is a radical change to execution and balance.

The problem with an aura is that it's impossible to keep track of without a grid and very annoying upkeep. You at least know who you're hitting.

Anyway, there are epic spells like Celestial Valor that do a ton of stuff and also give you +2d6 holy to hit, so why not have a spell exist that only does the +2d6 per hit part? With a longer duration, obviously, to compensate.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 04:21:36 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2017, 02:50:04 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 12:15:04 PM
Psion Mastery

This book is the summary of the potential of a psion. The results of reading this book depend on how many psion levels the reader has.

If read by someone with no levels in psion, they take 1d4 points of Intelligence damage and are fatigued.

If read by someone with 1 to 19 levels of psion, they suffer no ill effect but realize the book's contents are beyond them.

If read by someone with 20 or more levels in psion, they may choose one of the benefits below.

Versatile Psion: Select a psion alternate class feature you do not possess. You gain this alternate class feature without having to trade other class features for it. You must fulfill any prerequisites it has to take it.
Metapsionic Mastery: You gain any two metamagic feats as bonus feats. You must meet all the prerequisites of these feats.
Crafting Mastery: You gain any two psionic item creation feats as bonus feats. You must meet all the prerequisites of these feats.

---

Tryll, I believe you have 20 psion levels on the dot, so you get category three. Confirm this since I know your build's split a bit.

Can the metapsionic feats be epic feats?

Yes, if they are metapsionic feats and you qualify for them (including qualifying for epic feats by being 21st level/hit dice or higher, which you do).

Tryll will select Maximize Power and Automatic Metamagic: Twin Power.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Tryll's sheet updated, shoouuulld be current.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 27, 2017, 06:43:50 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 04:21:36 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 24, 2017, 02:50:04 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 12:15:04 PM
Psion Mastery

This book is the summary of the potential of a psion. The results of reading this book depend on how many psion levels the reader has.

If read by someone with no levels in psion, they take 1d4 points of Intelligence damage and are fatigued.

If read by someone with 1 to 19 levels of psion, they suffer no ill effect but realize the book's contents are beyond them.

If read by someone with 20 or more levels in psion, they may choose one of the benefits below.

Versatile Psion: Select a psion alternate class feature you do not possess. You gain this alternate class feature without having to trade other class features for it. You must fulfill any prerequisites it has to take it.
Metapsionic Mastery: You gain any two metamagic feats as bonus feats. You must meet all the prerequisites of these feats.
Crafting Mastery: You gain any two psionic item creation feats as bonus feats. You must meet all the prerequisites of these feats.

---

Tryll, I believe you have 20 psion levels on the dot, so you get category three. Confirm this since I know your build's split a bit.

Can the metapsionic feats be epic feats?

Yes, if they are metapsionic feats and you qualify for them (including qualifying for epic feats by being 21st level/hit dice or higher, which you do).

Tryll will select Maximize Power and Automatic Metamagic: Twin Power.

That should be something like automatic metapsionics or whatever, but the point's understood.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Oh good point. Sorry, was distracted. I fixed it.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 27, 2017, 09:48:11 AMAnyway, there are epic spells like Celestial Valor that do a ton of stuff and also give you +2d6 holy to hit, so why not have a spell exist that only does the +2d6 per hit part? With a longer duration, obviously, to compensate.

Tell you what. Do some homework and look up any spells that do xdwhatever damage like that for me, see what level and durations we're talking about here.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Nothing quite does the same thing, or I would've grabbed that spell. But!

First there's Weapon of Energy (Cleric 3, Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3, Spellthief 3)
Target: One weapon
Duration: 1 round/level

It gives +1d6 of energy to each hit with the weapon (you pick which energy at casting), and quite importantly stacks with existing energy enchantment. So you can use it on a Flaming Sword +1 and it'd hit at +2d6 fire.

Then there's Persistent Spell, which turns spells into duration 24 hours at a +6 level adjustment.

So a Persistent Weapon of Energy would be a lvl9 equivalent doing +1d6 energy of your choice with one weapon for 24 hours.

In addition, there's a bunch of regular and epic spells that have short durations but also tack on +2d6 damage to your attacks for various reasons.

Holy Sword, Pal 4. Transforms the weapon, explicitly doesn't stack with weapon enchantments.
Celestial Valor, Clr 10, Glory 10, Good 10, Pal 8, Sor/Wiz 10. Explicitly states the 2d6 extra damage doesn't stack with the Holy weapon property.
Might of the Solar, Sor/Wiz 11. While it talks of sacred and bane, the spell doesn't state it doesn't stack with existing weapon buffs the way similar spells like say Celestial Valor do.

I'm sure other examples exist. If you think it's unreasonable for a spell that specializes in long-term damage boosting rather than short term damage and everything else boosting to exist, that's fair.

Corwin

Unrelated to the above, a reminder that I want to do more with Light. And I could pay for it with stuff, like the Anarchic bloodline or what not.

Iron Dragoon

Surraruthru is gifting the Archfiend's Grimoire to the Library. The Lost Lore of the Abyss: The Quartered Lion also, but the quest from that has already been gained, so I dunno if it'll mean anything. Same with the Encyclopedia.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Considering taking these spells for my blank lvl11 slots:
Beaming Blade
Moonlight Revelation

At least until you get inspired on something.
Re: Beaming Blade, it'd be a Beaming Spear variant, totally not pirated from the church.

Nephrite

Okay, let's see if I can manage the horrible pit of math that is animal companions. I am like 100% sure I am doing this completely wrong because I'm not really sure what the "Base level" of the creature is to begin with but I'm thinking it's 12 (because it has 12 HD) so please bear with me on this.

A Dire Bear is listed as 13th or higher (-12) for a Druid. Celestial adds +2 to the level adjustment of the base creature, so I'd say that'd probably 15? I think that still falls into the same -12 band. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't really think that changes much here.

So I believe I'm looking at the base being the following:

Celestial Dire Bear
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice:   12d8+51 (105 hp)
Initiative:   +1
Speed:   40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class:   17 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple:   +9/+23
Attack:   Claw +19 melee (2d4+10)
Full Attack:   2 claws +19 melee (2d4+10) and bite +13 melee (2d8+5)

So since I'm 25, I look at this with 13 LA, so I add the following:

+8 Bonus HD
+8 Natural Armor
+4 Str/Dex
5 bonus tricks (this is probably unnecessary due to the intelligence of a celestial creature?)
Link, Share Spells, Devotion, Evasion, Multiattack.

The HD are 1d8, so let's just use the average for now and call that 4x8 = 48

I feel like I'm really missing something key here, but I'm going to keep going with this anyway.

I believe that ends up being:

Hit Dice: 20d8+51 (I think I did this wrong) 153 HP
Initiative:   +3
Speed:   40 ft. (8 squares)
Abilities:   Str 35, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Armor Class:   27 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +13 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple:   +15/+31
Attack:   Claw +27 melee (2d4+12)
Full Attack:   2 claws +27 melee (2d4+12) and bite +21 melee (2d8+7)

Animal Companion
The epic druid's animal companion continues to increase in power. At every three levels higher than 18th (21st, 24th, 27th, and so on), the companion gains +2 bonus Hit Dice, its natural armor increases by 2, its Strength and Dexterity modifiers increase by 1, and it learns one additional bonus trick.

I assume this means when the animal has an effective HD of above 20, which I'm not sure does here?

Anastasia

A few things.

1. B5 is today as noted, so no afternoon session. Evening session should be unaffected.
2. I know I've probably missed a few things in the recent posting rush. If I have and it needs answers, give me links to them in here. This includes things from loot, though I'll answer those there.
3. Tannin scares me.
<Afina> Forever.