News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Post of Surraruthru transformation changes (will be updated/added to as work progresses):

Lost all monk and faerie dragon levels. Gained 21 dragon levels.

Hit dice changed to d12 for dragon (21) and d4 for Wiz(4).

Gained skill points as dragon (6+int+4) and Half-Celestial (8+int+4) for a total of 456 skill points. Removed skill tricks which were never used.

Swapped Improved Initiative, Metamagic School Focus, and Magic Disruption in favor of Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, and Improved Counterspell.

Lost bonus feats from monk; wrote in previously overlooked/neglected feats listed under Faerie Dragon (Improved Initiative, Flyby Attack, and Weapon Finesse) in the Draconomicon.

Gained additional Natural Armor from Dragon levels; 6+1 from Half-Celestial.

Gained following special qualities:
Blindsense, Keen Senses, Frightful Presence, Alternate Form, Graceful Flight, Physical Frailty.

Lost 13 AC from Monk class/wis.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 10, 2017, 10:57:46 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 10, 2017, 10:24:31 AM
Since it's been a while, I decided to write my own draft. Comments?

Terror Fog
Conjuration (Creation, Teleportation)

You appear in the fog wherever you wish.

So I presume this is meant to be a teleportation effect, based on the descriptor? Assuming so, when do you teleport? Is it an action? How often do you teleport?

Yes, it's an optional teleportation effect. It's a one-time deal happening with the casting of the spell.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 10, 2017, 10:45:54 PM
Do you mean burning a daily spell slot for the day, or a permanent sacrifice? Sorry I didn't catch that earlier, I'm just now getting to nagging catch up.

Either works, there are plenty 'canon' options that do either. I'd say it depends on the gains.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 11, 2017, 10:39:39 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 10, 2017, 10:57:46 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 10, 2017, 10:24:31 AM
Since it's been a while, I decided to write my own draft. Comments?

Terror Fog

You appear in the fog wherever you wish.

So I presume this is meant to be a teleportation effect, based on the descriptor? Assuming so, when do you teleport? Is it an action? How often do you teleport?

Yes, it's an optional teleportation effect. It's a one-time deal happening with the casting of the spell.

Okay. Hm. How does this look?

Terror Fog
Level: Clr 11
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Effect: Fog spreads in 100ft radius, 100ft high
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The spell was originally designed by Jaela of Aurora as a training exercise after learning of the variant used by Bubbles. This spell creates a fog similar to solid fog but greatly enhanced. The fog has all the properties of solid fog.

You appear in the fog wherever you wish. You are immune to all of the effects of the fog and may move normally within it. Your reach changes, allowing you to always threaten anyone within the fog with you. Those threatened by you are considered flanked with you.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 11, 2017, 10:41:49 AM
Do you mean burning a daily spell slot for the day, or a permanent sacrifice? Sorry I didn't catch that earlier, I'm just now getting to nagging catch up.

Either works, there are plenty 'canon' options that do either. I'd say it depends on the gains.

Temporary's best here I think, ala arcane strike or other abilities that consume daily spell slots/charges.

Loosely, the effect is equal to the level of a spell that would do about the same thing +1 or +2 (you pay for the flexibility). How's that sound?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 11, 2017, 11:26:50 AM

Temporary's best here I think, ala arcane strike or other abilities that consume daily spell slots/charges.

Loosely, the effect is equal to the level of a spell that would do about the same thing +1 or +2 (you pay for the flexibility). How's that sound?

Sounds cool, I'd just like to know the options it would buy me?

Corwin

Okay. Hm. How does this look?

Terror Fog
Level: Clr 11
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Effect: Fog spreads in 100ft radius, 100ft high
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The spell was originally designed by Jaela of Aurora as a training exercise after learning of the variant used by Bubbles. This spell creates a fog similar to solid fog but greatly enhanced. The fog has all the properties of solid fog.

You appear in the fog wherever you wish. You are immune to all of the effects of the fog and may move normally within it. Your reach changes, allowing you to always threaten anyone within the fog with you. Those threatened by you are considered flanked with you.

No objection with the writeup itself, it preserves most of what I was aiming for.

I do have a different issue with it:

[16:51] <@Rin> To be fair, I'm not sure the spell is worth a lvl11 slot now
[17:01] <@Space_Cat> I'm running some numbers and fiddling with it right now.
[17:06] <@Space_Cat> Also, what about it doesn't feel like an 11th level spell to you?
[17:07] <@Rin> It's a bunch of low level effects
[17:08] <@Rin> Solid Fog is lvl4, phantom battle is lvl3
[17:08] <@Rin> There's lower options, too, and same for extended reach
[17:08] <@Rin> It could theoretically be better due to larger cloud but I don't see it happening in practice
[17:09] <@Rin> So it'd usually be in use against 1-2 opponents, and they'd likely overcome any issues solid fog could give them

So yeah. Solid Fog is great for level-appropriate opponents. Our additions to it here are great in theory since they combine the difficult terrain and general inability to see you with a way to make you pay for it. But level-appropriate opponents for a lvl11 spell and those who can cast it will laugh at each and every one 'hindrance' brought about by the spell. It would only really be usable against mooks, and I have better things to use on them. Also, I can't AoO people for movement due to solid fog limiting movement to 5ft for those who fall for it.

Even if level-appropriate enemies can't be bothered to outright summon winds to chase it away, true seeing would see through it and teleportation will make it moot.

EDIT:

[18:31] <@Ebiris> You can totally AoO people for moving 5 feet in solid fog, since that's them using a move action rather than a 5 foot step. It's the action type that matters, not the distance travelled.

Anastasia

On the whole, I feel it's an 11th level spell. It does have counters - though a simple anti teleport spell stops the most common - but almost everything does at epic. If it works, it's an incredibly punishing tactic that deeply hobbles your enemies and lets you take plenty of AoOs at them.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 11, 2017, 12:21:58 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 11, 2017, 11:26:50 AM

Sounds cool, I'd just like to know the options it would buy me?

Okay, will be posted mid-weekish since I need to do homework and prep.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Does my Amulet of Natural attacks apply to my unarmed attacks? I know monk had an ability that made them count as manufactured weapons or something, so I'm unsure what the interaction there is. If I need to, I can add something to the gauntlets, I think.

Also, do the Hydras have treasure? If I'm look to dump some monk gear, they may be a good fit to buy some, if possible.

Anastasia

Okay, if you aren't caught up on Moore's thread, go do so real quick. At least the last few posts in it since they're relevant.

Assuming everyone's on board with this newspaper idea at the price, are y'all interested in writing short, punchy articles for it? I'm thinking 200-400 words since you have a single sheet of paper to work with. Propaganda things by and large.

This is up to you if you do it. If you all do, I'll see about matching you in some way for the effort spent.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'm fine writing the articles, for what it's worth.

Anastasia

Oh sure, but the more the merrier if people are interested.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Not especially but I'll help on occasion.

Corwin

Not especially but maybe I'll help on occasion.