News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Level 26
Grand Weaver 6:
+1 Bonus Feat: Monitor Tapestry [Epic]
+1 Level of Arcane Spellcasting applied to Wizard
+1 level 11 spells per day

Faerie Dragon 22:
+1 to all Saves
+1 BaB
> roll 1d12 lvl 26 HP
<Serith> Iddy roll for Serith < 3 > [d12=3]
Sorcerer casting raises to 16th level
+1 8th level spells
Learning Plane Shift for level 7 spell.

Level 27
Grand Weaver 7:
Advanced Tapestry +3: At 1st level and every three levels thereafter, he increases the maximum level of spells he can cast into an eldritch tapestry by 1.
Swift Tapestry: An expert grand weaver can set up an eldritch tapestry faster than usual. At 7th level, it only takes 1 minute to create an eldritch tapestry.
+1 level 12 spells per day
Learning Rain of Desolation for Level 12 spell.

Faerie Dragon 23:
+1 to all Saves
+1 BaB
> roll 1d12 lvl 27 HP
<Serith> Iddy roll for Serith < 12 > [d12=12]
Sorcerer casting raises to 17th level
+1 7th level spells
+1 8th level spells
Learning Arcane Fusion (Greater) and Mystic Shield (pending approval) for level 8 spells.

As a note, I'm not quite settled on the level 8 spells for Sorc. I can't really decide what's best. I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to give some.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Ebiris

Quote from: Anastasia on June 05, 2017, 07:28:06 PM
Is there an epic firesoul mage handy? This isn't a big deal from what I recall you saying, but just curious.

No, but since epic progressions never give anything on level 1 I didn't see it worth writing one up.

Corwin

Domain spells! They're of particular interest to me (since I'm the only PC that actually uses them, I believe), and so since I finally get epic domain spells here are my thoughts on what works for the relevant domains:

Spoiler: ShowHide

WATER
lvl01: Obscuring Mist
lvl02: Fog Cloud
lvl03: Water Breathing
lvl04: Control Water
lvl05: Ice Storm
lvl06: Cone of Cold
lvl07: Acid Fog
lvl08: Horrid Wilting
lvl09: Elemental Swarm/Water
Suggested  lvl10: "Greater Cone of Cold" [30d6 damage cap, the rest as Cone of Cold]
lvl11: Fog Trap
lvl12: Rain of Desolation

TIME
lvl01: True Strike
lvl02: Gentle Repose
lvl03: Haste
lvl04: Freedom of Movement
lvl05: Permanency
lvl06: Contingency
lvl07: Moment of Prescience
lvl08: Foresight
lvl09: Time Stop
lvl10: Mass Freedom of Movement
Suggested lvl10: Many Moments of Prescience or Amea's Mental Partition. MFoM is both boring and terrible  :(

MAGIC
lvl01: Magic Aura
lvl02: Identify
lvl03: Dispel Magic
lvl04: Imbue with Spell Ability
lvl05: Spell Resistance
lvl06: Antimagic Field
lvl07: Spell Turning
lvl08: Protection from Spells
lvl09: Magic Disjunction
Suggested lvl10: Glaciante's Spiteful Ward (or Circle of Spiritual Protection/Create Living Spell/Spellpool)
lvl11: Superb Dispelling
lvl13: Antimagic Zone

RENEWAL
lvl01: Charm Person
lvl02: Lesser Restoration
lvl03: Remove Disease
lvl04: Reincarnate
lvl05: Atonement
lvl06: Heroes's Feast
lvl07: Greater Restoration
lvl08: Clone
lvl09: Freedom
Suggested lvl10: Miracle of Health
Suggested lvl11: Mass Regeneration (or Shape Soul)
Suggested lvl12: Instant Regeneration

TRAVEL
lvl01: Longstrider
lvl02: Locate Object
lvl03: Fly
lvl04: Dimension Door
lvl05: Teleport
lvl06: Find the Path
lvl07: Greater Teleport
lvl08: Phase Door
lvl09: Teleportation Circle
lvl10: Mass Freedom of Movement See? Travel already has this terrible spell! No need to put it to Time as well.
lvl12: Legion's Gates

WAR I struggled with War domain spells because War is the most important of all my domains. I don't only get to cast these spells (eventually), but I also get a bonus to CL and damage, so it's hard to aim for anything approaching objectivity. Anyway, you put Foresight there instead of Power Word Kill, so I looked for suitable divinations. The multi-target blasting spell is self-explanatory. Thoughts?
lvl01: Magic Weapon
lvl02: Spiritual Weapon
lvl03: Magic Vestment
lvl04: Divine Power
lvl05: Flame Strike
lvl06: Blade Barrier
lvl07: Power Word Blind
lvl08: Power Word Stun
lvl09: Foresight
lvl10: War's Blessing
Suggested lvl11: Moonlight Revelation (or Many Moments of Prescience/Superior Mighty Wallop)
Suggested lvl12: Burst of Glory
lvl22: Warrior's Boon

KNOWLEDGE

PROTECTION
lvl01: Sanctuary
lvl02: Shield Other
lvl03: Protection from Energy
lvl04: Spell Immunity
lvl05: Spell Resistance
lvl06: Antimagic Field
lvl07: Repulsion
lvl08: Mind Blank
lvl09: Prismatic Sphere
lvl10: Energy Immunity
lvl13: Antimagic Zone

ILLUSION
lvl01: Silent Image
lvl02: Minor Image
lvl03: Displacement
lvl04: Phantasmal Killer
lvl05: Persistent Image
lvl06: Mislead
lvl07: Project Image
lvl08: Screen
lvl09: Weird
Suggested lvl10: Greater Displacement [total concealment without Displacement's caveats, ie true seeing doesn't reveals true location, the rest as Displacement] (or Curse of Inadequacy/Snowbound Soul)
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Kascha reaches level 26.

- Ghaela 26 and Wyrm Wizard 16.
- 5 on a d8 for a total of 12 hit points and a grand total of 305 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +26.
- Another selection from spell knowledge. Kascha selects summon planetar, since sometimes you just need to summon someone who can cast 9th level cleric spells.
- Gains 26th level wizard spellcasting. +1 11th level spell slot. She selects summon planetar.
- +1 spell resistance for a total of 38.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Skills go up as normal.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

It's my birthday so replies will be slow.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Levels 26 and 27 bring to Jaela:
*more BAB
*lvl12 spells
*lvl10 domain spells (yes!)
*+1 to saves, +2CL, +2SR
*epic feat and bonus epic feat, both sunk into Improved Metamagic (I now have 3 of them, thus freeing one of my regular feats from Easy Metamagic. It is now Twin Spell.)
*Slippery Mind is situationally nice
*my armor hax finally extends to medium armors!

Spells-wise, I'm getting Burst of Glory and Nerve Overload. I'm unsure of Legion's Gates, and will probably drop Energy Immunity since I can access it via domain now (likely in favor of Cleansing Rain which is awesome). I need to figure out what to do for lvl11 slots and possibly a lvl12 one. Did you ever have any ideas for elven pantheon-themed spells? Selune and Lathander give a bunch of spells to their devout followers, just to name a couple, so it'd be neat to have something.

Do I get more spell slots for pre-epic Divine Crusader casting? Judging by both epic and pre-epic progressions, they go from 0 to 3, but the pre-epic class stops at lvl6 and lvl7 spells get only 2 slots when the pre-epic class ends. Basically, now that it's continuing do I get another lvl7 slot to bring me up to 3, and another lvl8 slot the next level and so on for lvl9?

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 10:44:07 AM
It's my birthday so replies will be slow.

Happy Birthday~

Corwin

Contingency question. We couldn't use it with Heal and similar spells while also using Fortunate Fate, which makes sense. But could I use Fortunate Fate (for when I'm about to die) and Contingency/Heal if my hp drops to half of max or lower? In theory they could activate together if someone oneshots me in all my 500+hp, but activation conditions should be different in most cases.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 06, 2017, 01:20:26 AM
Requesting approval of the spell Mystic Shield from the book Anauroch: The Empire of Shade, p. 141. Found via D&D tools.

We'll try it. At worst it goes on the banned list.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 06, 2017, 01:43:10 AM
Level 26
Grand Weaver 6:
+1 Bonus Feat: Monitor Tapestry [Epic]

Faerie Dragon 22:
+1 to all Saves
+1 BaB
> roll 1d12 lvl 26 HP
<Serith> Iddy roll for Serith < 3 > [d12=3]
Sorcerer casting raises to 16th level
+1 8th level spells
Learning Plane Shift for level 7 spell.

Level 27
Grand Weaver 7:
Advanced Tapestry +3: At 1st level and every three levels thereafter, he increases the maximum level of spells he can cast into an eldritch tapestry by 1.
Swift Tapestry: An expert grand weaver can set up an eldritch tapestry faster than usual. At 7th level, it only takes 1 minute to create an eldritch tapestry.
+1 level 12 spells per day
Learning Rain of Desolation for Level 12 spell.

Faerie Dragon 23:
+1 to all Saves
+1 BaB
> roll 1d12 lvl 27 HP
<Serith> Iddy roll for Serith < 12 > [d12=12]
Sorcerer casting raises to 17th level
+1 7th level spells
+1 8th level spells
Learning Arcane Fusion (Greater) and Mystic Shield (pending approval) for level 8 spells.

As a note, I'm not quite settled on the level 8 spells for Sorc. I can't really decide what's best. I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to give some.

Quick note, your save bonuses are wrong. Epic characters get a +1 to all saves at level 23, 26, 29 and so on. Total level, not class level. So you'd get a +1 to all saves at level 26 (the first level) and nothing at level 27 (the second level).
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on June 06, 2017, 02:28:30 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 05, 2017, 07:28:06 PM
Is there an epic firesoul mage handy? This isn't a big deal from what I recall you saying, but just curious.

No, but since epic progressions never give anything on level 1 I didn't see it worth writing one up.

That's not precisely true, it's just that the numbers usually don't work out that way. Link me to the class real quick?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I presume the bolded ones are yours and the others already exist. Let me know if I'm wrong.

QuoteSuggested  lvl10: "Greater Cone of Cold" [30d6 damage cap, the rest as Cone of Cold]

Reasonable enough. Write it up.

Quotelvl10: Mass Freedom of Movement
Suggested lvl10: Many Moments of Prescience or Amea's Mental Partition. MFoM is both boring and terrible  :(

I wouldn't use Amea's Mental Partition for a domain spell. It's too much a niche spell a particular wizard dreamed up, which isn't good material for a domain spell, which are more universal.

I don't want to change domain spells already set without an extremely compelling reason, as that's a rabbit hole of more DM work, revisions and generally making my life a lot harder.

QuoteSuggested lvl10: Glaciante's Spiteful Ward (or Circle of Spiritual Protection/Create Living Spell/Spellpool)

Glaciante's Spiteful Ward runs into the same problem as Amea's Mental Partition.

I'd go with....mmmm. Let's go with Create Living Spell. It fits. Added to the Spell Collection.

QuoteSuggested lvl10: Miracle of Health
Suggested lvl11: Mass Regeneration (or Shape Soul)
Suggested lvl12: Instant Regeneration

Renewal's a tough one since it's not really a healing domain. Sure, it has some options to restore, but it's more about new beginnings and changes. Charm person? Makes a new and better start with a person. Atonement? Washes away sin to begin anew. Clone? A new body and a new life. I don't feel going pure healing is nailing the essence of the domain. To be entirely honest, I suspect it needs at least one custom spell.

QuoteI struggled with War domain spells because War is the most important of all my domains. I don't only get to cast these spells (eventually), but I also get a bonus to CL and damage, so it's hard to aim for anything approaching objectivity. Anyway, you put Foresight there instead of Power Word Kill, so I looked for suitable divinations. The multi-target blasting spell is self-explanatory. Thoughts?

Breaking down the War Domain, you have three distinct types of spells.

1. Spells that boost your equipment.
2. Spells that cause direct damage.
3. Spells that cause negative conditions.

You also have an oddball divination due to a houserules patch. In retrospect something like meteor swarm may have been a better choice, but that boat's sailed.

Moonlight Revelation's too Selune to be a War Domain spell. It's tied to too many deities across the alignment spectrum.

Have a preference between Many Moments of Prescience and Superior Mighty Wallop?

No to Burst of Glory at 12. It's a good descriptor spell and War's a domain that transcends alignments, being offered by deities across the alignment spectrum.

QuoteSuggested lvl10: Greater Displacement [total concealment without Displacement's caveats, ie true seeing doesn't reveals true location, the rest as Displacement] (or Curse of Inadequacy/Snowbound Soul)

Write up a greater displacement and let me see how it looks.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 11:37:51 AM
That's not precisely true, it's just that the numbers usually don't work out that way. Link me to the class real quick?

here you go.

Corwin

How about Power Word Stun, Mass for clr12, war12?

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on June 06, 2017, 12:29:04 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 11:37:51 AM

here you go.

Burning penetration would go up at 11 (3, 7, 11), so note that.
<Afina> Forever.