Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 14, 2017, 11:11:32 AMTake 20 on the check. Is there a take 10 item? A quick google/MiC search doesn't show one.

I'm going to rule no then.

QuoteRain of Devastation
Abjuration/Evocation [Acid]
Level: Drd 12, Sor/Wiz 12, Water 12
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Area: Cylinder (40ft radius, 80ft high)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a driving, searing acid rain. Creatures within it are struck by a rain of viscous, clinging acid as the magic around them crumbles. All creatures within the radius are treated as being affected by a targeted greater dispel magic (maximum dispel check modifier of +30). Creatures exposed to this rain take 5d6 points of acid damage. This damage rises by 2d6 for each spell or spell-like ability dispelled by this spell, to a maximum of 50d6. This damage applies to all creatures within the Rain of Devastation. For example, a Rain of Devastation that dispels 5 effects deals 15d6 acid damage to all creatures within it. A Fortitude save is allowed to halve the cold damage.

Focus

A white crystal in the shape of a teardrop, worth no less than 2,000 gold.

I'd change the focus to something more thematic for this version. Also, was it the water 12 spell in the original or did you add that yourself?

Quote3) Yep. Just a swap to Acid.

I'd normally trim down the damage dice for the better energy type, but the damage is keyed to dispels, so I don't feel it's needed in this case. I would for sonic damage, though.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Water 12 was in the original. I didn't think it needed to be messed with because 1) I dunno what water 12 is and 2) acid is sorta like water?

I figured the focus should be something else, but I don't know what else is connected to acid, so I didn't mess with it. I thought about changing it to Force damage, but since I had the rod of acid already, I just went with that. Plus acid rain melting people into piles of goo is neato.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Seeing as how I modified the original spell, I'll chime in here.

I probably should have converted Water 12 to Earth 12, since acid is closely associated with Earth.

The shortness of the spell copied was sort of my fault. I manually copied it out of IRC and it looks like it got clipped. Not sure if Iddy noticed it or not before he posted it.

Thirdly, the save for it should probably be Reflex instead of Fortitude.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Last spell line still has cold and not acid. No need to make it a domain spell, it's a variant.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Ellese and Vivantha not listed in npcs away post.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on June 14, 2017, 12:03:12 PM
Seeing as how I modified the original spell, I'll chime in here.

I probably should have converted Water 12 to Earth 12, since acid is closely associated with Earth.

Agreed with Cor, it's not really a domain spell, just a variant.

QuoteThirdly, the save for it should probably be Reflex instead of Fortitude.

Agreed, change it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 14, 2017, 02:24:15 PM
Ellese and Vivantha not listed in npcs away post.

Excellent point, off to add Ellese.

Vivantha's sort of around, off screen but draw on-able. She's just in zero focus land because of Muirfinn. If he was still with us, she'd be getting lots of screen time.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

OOC, I'm curious what the ring became, since it's been a quest since May of 2012!

Corwin

Dune, can you please post any relevant information from the scroll? Anything that could be used to form a plan of attack. Troop concentrations, schedules, Harkin's residence, what we know from Yian about secret passages in the area and what not. Best times and places to strike, what Harkin seems to keep the most protected, locations of any prisons, that sort of thing.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 10:56:43 AMSpells-wise, I'm getting Burst of Glory and Nerve Overload. I'm unsure of Legion's Gates, and will probably drop Energy Immunity since I can access it via domain now (likely in favor of Cleansing Rain which is awesome). I need to figure out what to do for lvl11 slots and possibly a lvl12 one. Did you ever have any ideas for elven pantheon-themed spells? Selune and Lathander give a bunch of spells to their devout followers, just to name a couple, so it'd be neat to have something.

I haven't personally, who I design epic spells for tends to boil down to where my ideas go plus NPCs I stat out for posting. CL's always been on the docket but he's a low priority since greater deities need a lot of work and I've never been inspired.

Spells to play off the aspects of the Seladrine are certain possible. The Triune's easy, just focus on spells with 3 in 1 aspects and combinations. They're a gestalt deity, so that should be a prominent factor.

QuoteDo I get more spell slots for pre-epic Divine Crusader casting? Judging by both epic and pre-epic progressions, they go from 0 to 3, but the pre-epic class stops at lvl6 and lvl7 spells get only 2 slots when the pre-epic class ends. Basically, now that it's continuing do I get another lvl7 slot to bring me up to 3, and another lvl8 slot the next level and so on for lvl9?

Sure, whatever.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 11:22:27 AM
Contingency question. We couldn't use it with Heal and similar spells while also using Fortunate Fate, which makes sense. But could I use Fortunate Fate (for when I'm about to die) and Contingency/Heal if my hp drops to half of max or lower? In theory they could activate together if someone oneshots me in all my 500+hp, but activation conditions should be different in most cases.

I don't remember my precise reasoning and don't feel like looking it up, but I'm going to rule no regardless.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 01:41:12 PM
Mass Power Word Stun might work as War 12, so I'll focus on War 11 for now. I figured I'd go on a 'Greater Divine Power' tangent here, using the lvl11 cleric spell Martyr's Kiss as inspiration of where to take it.

Divine Power
Spoiler: ShowHide

Evocation
Level:    Clr 4, War 4
Components:    V, S, DF
Casting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Personal
Target:    You
Duration:    1 round/level

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks), you gain a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, and you gain 1 temporary hit point per caster level.

Martyr's Kiss

Abjuration [Good]
Level: Clr 11
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Touch.
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Special; see text

This spell protects a martyr to be, making them a dynamic force in a dramatic sacrifice. They gain a +10 sacred bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, caster level checks, armor class and saving throws. The target of the spell does not automatically fail a saving throw on a natural 1. Further, reducing his hit points to 0 or less does not incapacitate the target of the spell at all, nor does being reduced to -10 or lower hit points cause the death of the character. They are immune to petrification, imprisonment, temporal stasis or any other attempt to imprison or bind them.

At the end of the duration, when the target is slain, if this spell is successfully dispelled or as a standard action when the target desires, his body explodes in a titanic burst of holy light. This deals damage equal to the target's current hit points + 50 to all targets within 40ft of the target. A fortitude save halves this damage. Obviously, this explosion kills the target if he is not already dead. Dying in this matter bypasses regeneration and other similar abilities, as the body is completely destroyed.

This spell functions only on willing targets who are aware of what the spell does. If forced on a target or they are not aware of how it works, Kiss of the Martyr fails.

Material Component

A pair of tears shed at the completion of the spell, one by the caster and one by the target.

Greater Divine Power

Evocation
Level: Clr 11, War 11
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks) as well as gaining a +10 sacred bonus to attack rolls and weapon damage rolls, and you gain 2 temporary hit point per caster level.

I believe we talked about this one and some changes, but it didn't go any further? Refresh me.
<Afina> Forever.