Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Only if the dozens of Nessians try to cast more than once per round!
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

We'll say yes today, and an answer tonight when I go over that and Yuth's golem stuff.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 27, 2017, 06:49:08 PMAlright. I'll bite. Some name changes fur the purposes of you running them I get. Others I don't. I understand when you change them to what they actually do. Into The Sunfire Engine to Swallow whole makes perfect sense to me. Even changing Breath of Light to Breath Weapon is, while boring, also sense-making. Sort of. I was just really whiny about the changes to the names you did leave in.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. When trying to simplify something, I go to that because it's mechanically easier.

QuoteThe original idea had it going off every once in a while without affecting its overall combat ability. Unless it's a quickened SLA, which we could do!, it's a standard action and basically eats a turn.

Were you going to awaken it? It could go for a feat based solution if you did.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Minor note of a list of missed opportunities for the insatiable curious Iddy.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Okay, we had a chat on IRC about celestial conduit last night. Before I begin reviewing it, let's make sure the mechanics of it are right.

Yuth, walk me step by step to how you get your damage output from it? There's enough moving pieces that I think that would be a good place to start.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Sure.

Let's start with the following:
QuotePsychokinesis
Level: Good 5, psion/wilder 5
Display: Material and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 9

Your hands seem to shift and change into pure ectoplasm as a stream of radiant energy pulses outward from them. Reaching across the planes, you form a momentary link between yourself and the Positive Energy Plane.

With the connection made, you instantly guide a massive charge of positive energy from your psyche into the material world, channeling it along a burning ectoplasmic line that extends from your outstretched hands. Anyone caught in the area takes 9d6 points of damage. Undead caught in the area take 2 additional points of damage per die. A construct or inanimate object takes only 5d6 points of damage from this power. This power is a positive energy effect.

Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the power deals an additional 1d6 points of damage
(1d6+2 against undead), and for every extra two dice in damage, the DC increases by 1.

ERRATA DC increase has been changed to standard 2 pp per +1 instead of what is in CPH

It costs 9 points to cast and does a base 9d6 damage. 5d6 v. constructs & objects. +2/die to undead.

Each point invested in augmentation grants an additional d6 as well as an additional point toward the DC. The errata changed the latter part to +1 DC per 2 additional dice. This was probably a good idea, as the DC rapidly scales completely out of control for a PC to be slinging on a 5th level power. 

Now we start getting weird.

My Manifester Level (ML) is 29 after gear changes. This means I can spend a total of 29 points, including the cost, on any given power.

Weirder: I also have an Epic Torc of Power Preservation, which reduces the cost of all powers manifested by 3. This effectively boosts the number of points I can spend on a power by 3.

29-9+3=23 points to spend.

23d6+9d6=32d6 without metapsionics.

Empower costs 2 points, knocking it down to 30d6.

Maximize and Twin are free due to feats.

30*6=180
180*1.5=270
270*2=540 total damage.

* Yuthirin stares.

Hold on, that can't be right.

How in the heck did I get to 900 damage last night? I'm lost. I'm pretty sure I've been adding a step somewhere, but I'm not sure how I got there or what step it was.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Well, go ahead and figure that out, I'll comment when you're done.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Yeah, I've spent the last hour trying to figure it out and I can't. Did I miss a step? I've redone it over and over and this makes mathematical sense. I'm not sure how it got so high before? Was I calculating it with d8? Lemme try that.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

That gets me 720. Nope. I got nothing. It should be 540.

I screwed up.

Yuthirin

IDDY FIGURED IT OUT

Spoiler: ShowHide
<Iddy> The only way you can do 900 damage with d6s is if you maximized 50d6.
<Yuthirin> which I'm NOT capable of doing yet
<Iddy> Or if you did 30d10...
<Yuthirin> oh
<Yuthirin> OH
<Yuthirin> that's possible
<Iddy> Which.. You did. That has to be it.
<Iddy> That has to be it.
<Iddy> 30d10 is 300*1.5=450*2=900.
<Yuthirin> yep that looks familiar
<Iddy> I even know where you might have gotten the d10.
<Iddy> Ooze Type
<Iddy> An ooze is an amorphous or mutable creature, usually mindless.
<Iddy> Features
<Iddy> An ooze has the following features.
<Iddy> 10-sided Hit Dice.
<Iddy> You had that open, didn't you?
<Iddy> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#oozeType
<Yuthirin> I DID
<Iddy> Yep.
<Yuthirin> son of a bitch
<Yuthirin> okay
<Iddy> You brain-transplanted d10s.
<Yuthirin> so we know why it was in my head
<Iddy> Iddy, math sluth.

Anastasia

> Trivia: Living spells, while unintelligent, do have an afterlife of sorts. They're reabsorbed by Mystra after they're destroyed and maintain a vague sort of continuance of being in the Weave.

From random IRC trivia.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

This is a formal request that Canderalla create the spell Lesser obr from elecrton.

Thank you.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Yuthirin

I make one post when I'm not looking at the screen and this is what happens.