Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

What about the mothballed Aurora search and rescue thing? Small teams, recon/strike based and single mission at a time type deal?

Or to build off of Afina's exploration thing, exploration type deal. Reborn world with new dungeons or devil and traitor stronghold/fort exploration?

Edit: Exploration thing doesn't even really have to be dungeons or anything. Could just be teams sent out to look for resources or places to settle and mapping the world type stuff.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

I'll just throw up here that I'd be sad if B3 was never revisited again, so I hope we can return to it after a proper vacation has been had, even if it is on a much smaller scale.

I'm always down for either a steampunk type game, or something like 'D&D but in the 1600s' or something.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 09, 2018, 01:20:00 PM
What about the mothballed Aurora search and rescue thing? Small teams, recon/strike based and single mission at a time type deal?

Or to build off of Afina's exploration thing, exploration type deal. Reborn world with new dungeons or devil and traitor stronghold/fort exploration?

Edit: Exploration thing doesn't even really have to be dungeons or anything. Could just be teams sent out to look for resources or places to settle and mapping the world type stuff.

Not a bad vehicle for a B3 connected game, if that's the path I go with.

Quote from: Nephrite on March 09, 2018, 03:00:49 PM
I'll just throw up here that I'd be sad if B3 was never revisited again, so I hope we can return to it after a proper vacation has been had, even if it is on a much smaller scale.

I'm always down for either a steampunk type game, or something like 'D&D but in the 1600s' or something.

I do plan to keep at least a toe in Balmuria in general, so likely something, maybe one on one if someone can't make sessions for anything else. We'll see.

Also steampunk is soooo not my thing. I don't do much around it since I don't really get it, which in turns means I don't connect to what people like in it. Tends not to work well for anyone.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Nephrite on March 09, 2018, 03:00:49 PM

Warhammer Fantasy. Books are easy to find.

Iron Dragoon

We could try something like with the lost realm. Sudden awakening with only vague feelings, discovering where we are across the planes and trying to get back to Aurora. Could do something with fey reborn along with Lifasa, being called back to court via Titania's influence or the like.

Enter the foundations of the rainbow court, maybe.

Edit: Not to Aurora, to Lifasa.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 09, 2018, 03:56:40 PM
We could try something like with the lost realm. Sudden awakening with only vague feelings, discovering where we are across the planes and trying to get back to Aurora. Could do something with fey reborn along with Lifasa, being called back to court via Titania's influence or the like.

Enter the foundations of the rainbow court, maybe.

Edit: Not to Aurora, to Lifasa.

Shall be considered, though I probably won't reuse the amnesia gimmick again.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Going to review the game options I put up before.

Quote from: Anastasia on February 08, 2018, 05:03:05 PM1. 1-2 B3 characters in some sort of offshoot. This would likely be side gamey or include a couple of people with fresh PCs along with a few old PCs. It could even be the dreaded find Ithea quest. (Probably not that.)

Plausible, we'll see. I have nothing really against it, though it may be more diffused than this concept. Maybe one person or two people at most. I dunno.

Quote2. Something dealing with B1r. I have no idea if I'll even be up for it - one high epic game after this one is really a lot to ask from me right now - but I'm including it since I want to finish that game in my lifetime.

I honestly don't know. As much as I want to finish it, I need to rest and see if I'd even have the energy to ponder that sort of game. The effort would be tremendous. I'm not even going to worry about it until I've had some time and decide if I even want to try that angle right now.

Quote3. Something a little more modern. I'm not sure what exactly. Something in the modern day, maybe.
4. Trying something with a homebrew system? I dunno, a game design exercise might be fun.

These would be paired in some way. I'll see about making a revision of the alpha soon enough.

Quote5. B5. I promised this when I paused that game, we'll see where I'm at then. I honestly need to refresh myself on that and the terror of Erad.

I dunno, maybe. I'm trending away from this for a variety of reasons that come down to wanting a fresh start away from them, but we'll see.

Quote6. Vastwoods 2? Probably not I suspect, but including it for now. My thoughts could change for the 'shroom's sake.

Very mildly tempted, but in the end I'm leaning away from it. I may change on this if I want more D&D but wanna run something a little different. As much as I like the Vastwoods, I do feel it ran its course with the gimmicks it had, though it doesn't mean a reprisal may not find fertile ground. I just don't really know, y'know?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sage Vul'lath

Sage Vul'lath was originally a throwaway character if I recall, a minor sage to give the PCs a lead towards Medicant. As PCs tend to do in this sort of game, they saw something in him and ultimately recruited him for Aurora. He's worked out for what he is - a taciturn fellow who nonetheless provides and has extremely good practical reasons to stay with Aurora. Plus hey, people like Calleigh need someone to tell them to be quiet in the library.

All that aside, I like Vul'lath because he fills a niche, does it well and fits in. As part of the library crew, he's an invaluable resource without being overbearing.

Mechanically he worked out fine. Savant fits him (especially sneaking in some minor healing) well, so no complaints there.

Only one today, it's Saturday. Ebony and Balyss are next, both will be longer and I don't feel like it right now.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

A few questions, out of curiosity.

Moore chickened out of knowing who he was on Lifasa, but it got me kinda curious. Same with Lucy. I'd also like to know whether anyone else in that crew was from Lifasa.

Mirajane's origin, and whether it was prearranged for us to find her. Also, how much of her future insight was flavor and how much actually happened?

What would Auril want on Lifasa? In practical terms, since we did offer the whole proper balance aspect. Are we talking some ice, frozen mountain range?

Is the devil ban on Lifasa similar to the planar ban that was on the Balmuria Prime? Can it be studied by us, or it's the realm of high DvR deites?

Speaking of that, are we basically Powers on Lifasa, similar to how Marianne was in Balmuria or how the Padisha is? Or you changed that mechanic?

What was the deal with the aquatic Avenger's spear (and the coin)?

Are we good with Bahamut, now, or he helped us out but is still keeping our nifty forehead tattoos?

What's the in-universe explanation for Ithea?

What did Lixer achieve by blowing up his Vacuum fortress and polluting the plane of absolutely nothing with tons of ghosts?

Is the Kossuth-serving Lifasa dude going to come visit Lifasa? I'm totally Sending him an invite.

Are Vul'lath's acolytes finally at morale 100?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 10, 2018, 02:19:16 PM
A few questions, out of curiosity.

Moore chickened out of knowing who he was on Lifasa, but it got me kinda curious. Same with Lucy. I'd also like to know whether anyone else in that crew was from Lifasa.

Moore chose not to know, so I'll respect his decision and not spoil it. Lucy was not from Lifasa, nor was Pepo or Veren.

QuoteMirajane's origin, and whether it was prearranged for us to find her. Also, how much of her future insight was flavor and how much actually happened?

You know what Mirajane is, you helped create her. It was nudged that you may find her, but it wasn't purely fated by any side.

QuoteWhat would Auril want on Lifasa? In practical terms, since we did offer the whole proper balance aspect. Are we talking some ice, frozen mountain range?

Influence and power, of course. Chances to grow. Deities are all about spreading what they are. She's making sure she has a stake in Lifasa instead of being frozen (sorry) out. It was a chance for her to get influence for little to nothing. After all, if Abigor won that battle so be it, but if Aurora won she wins too. She wasn't married to keeping Abigor so she took a situation and made it so that she wins either way.

QuoteIs the devil ban on Lifasa similar to the planar ban that was on the Balmuria Prime? Can it be studied by us, or it's the realm of high DvR deites?

It's a little different. It can be studied and understood, but it's profoundly unproductive in the end. You could recreate it by having another world dominated by Hell for years and then have a similarly unlikely recovery involving powers on both sides, but otherwise it's not something you can recreate. The odds of getting the circumstances for it to happen again are so close to nil as to be indistinguishable.

It's an amazing thing but it's simply not reproducible nor does it give any useful insights you couldn't get elsewhere.

QuoteSpeaking of that, are we basically Powers on Lifasa, similar to how Marianne was in Balmuria or how the Padisha is? Or you changed that mechanic?

You are not. You simply have Lifasa greatly bolstering you when you're on Lifasa, as well as a sort of symbiosis that allows you to exist there without wounding the world.

The mechanics the same, but it's just not really important unless you're a power or deity. Since they both use divine rank to cover the mechanical end, it's not a huge deal from your perspective.

QuoteWhat was the deal with the aquatic Avenger's spear (and the coin)?

Refresh me on that?

QuoteAre we good with Bahamut, now, or he helped us out but is still keeping our nifty forehead tattoos?

The tattoos haven't gone away. After all, Bahamut has his duty, no matter how he feels about it. Frankly, the duty Io laid on him doesn't give a fuck about your situation or if you're really good people besides helping Baleruk.

It's shown that another deity can break them, though, so it's certainly a course you could investigate.

QuoteWhat's the in-universe explanation for Ithea?

Sharess sponsored sabbatical. It was left vague in case I needed wiggle room if Merc rejoined. Don't hold it against anyone there, it was an IC placeholder for an OOC situation.

QuoteWhat did Lixer achieve by blowing up his Vacuum fortress and polluting the plane of absolutely nothing with tons of ghosts?

Spreading his influence and control in Vacuum. Do you really want to imagine what all those ghosts could do to Vacuum, to change it to Lixer's will and slowly influence parts of it? Imagine if Lixer was also considered an Archomental of Vacuum as well as a Prince of Hell. Yes yes, once you get the suck jokes out of your system, I think you can see the sort of plan he had. Even if Aurora wins, it furthers another goal. Hell's big on that.

QuoteIs the Kossuth-serving Lifasa dude going to come visit Lifasa? I'm totally Sending him an invite.

At some point. As I recall mentioning before, he was meant to be your strategist, the meeting with him just went wrong.

QuoteAre Vul'lath's acolytes finally at morale 100?

Yes. They and the pixies are celebrating together.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

In reference to how people born in the Lost Ream work with 'escaping', since they were born there:

<Lisa> How does it work for people who were born there in generations?
<Lisa> Like Jetina?
> They still have a chance to escape, because Creation is looking for warriors with the potential to help stop Shar. Otherwise they live a normal life and are sorted afterwards. They're given special dispensations agreed on by all parties to help sort them out due to the nature of the situation and being blameless.
<Lisa> Hmm
> Hence Jetina awoke in Celestia and was given a chance to choose who she served.
> Without it being held against her in the slightest.
<Lisa> So souls are generated rather than waiting somewhere to be reused
<Lisa> Works for me
> In the Lost Realm? Yes.

People who appear in the Lost Realm without memories are inserts from outside. People born there are normal offspring and not recycled souls from outside or anything.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Baleruk approves of that post.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Post later today, working on credit post ahead of time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Serious DM post a sec.

Make sure the trait you got for liberating Lifasa is on all of your sheets. Post here with confirmation when you have done so. I will nag over this, as in case any of these characters are used again, I don't want the bookkeeping hassle in the future. Get it right now.
<Afina> Forever.