Loot thread 3: Booty, broads and booze!

Started by Anastasia, August 23, 2011, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

I don't think using bardic knowledge as a reference point is a great idea.

Example: Headband of the Lorebringer (MIC 110) grants a sacred +4 bonus on bardic knowledge checks as well as 3/day Read Magic. Costs 800gp.

Assuming your x2 modifier on MIC and if you consider that knack accrues at 1/2 rate of knowledge, you could consider an item that grants +2 sacred bonus to bardic knack for 1600 gp. That feels extremely underpriced when compared against other skill boosters that grant competence bonuses instead to multiple skills.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

It doesn't mean I'd use them or match them, but it's not a bad reference point to start from. I'd agree that a 1600 +4 bonus to it would be way underpriced.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

63119 - 25000

38119 gold left over. Just posting for posterity's sake that I'm doing the +6 belt upgrade.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

How much would it be to add the Harmonizing property to my harp? The cost after discounts for it was 30k and as a reference here it is, since I'm not sure what item level it'd count as anymore for a +1 bonus.

Harp, 'Divine Inspiration' (Equipped) - When equipped, after using bardic music, all allies within 60 ft., whether they were affected by the music or not, gain +2 to attack rolls and +2 to to Spell DCs for 3 rounds. If the bard casts other bardic music, this effect continues, but does not offer any cumulative bonuses. The bard must continue these effects themselves, the ability does not function if an harmonizing effect is used. In addition, this Harp confers a +15 insight bonus to Perform (String Instruments) checks.

Nephrite

In addition, is there any way to purchase something (similar to Twilight from MIC) to reduce Arcane Spell Failure chance? I'd like to get an animated large shield, but those have Spell Failure (for all that I'd think it being animated would solve that problem...)

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 22, 2016, 10:01:03 AM
How much would it be to add the Harmonizing property to my harp? The cost after discounts for it was 30k and as a reference here it is, since I'm not sure what item level it'd count as anymore for a +1 bonus.

Harp, 'Divine Inspiration' (Equipped) - When equipped, after using bardic music, all allies within 60 ft., whether they were affected by the music or not, gain +2 to attack rolls and +2 to to Spell DCs for 3 rounds. If the bard casts other bardic music, this effect continues, but does not offer any cumulative bonuses. The bard must continue these effects themselves, the ability does not function if an harmonizing effect is used. In addition, this Harp confers a +15 insight bonus to Perform (String Instruments) checks.

What's harmonizing from?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Sorry, Magic Item Compendium as far as I know.

Nephrite

So Merc pointed out I made a small miscalculation with my Mithral Breasplate, insofar as it needed to have +1 on it to begin with before I gave it the Heavy Fortification. As such, I paid less than I should have, so I'm correcting that and adding one thing to it.

The base price for that would be 200gp Breastplate + 4k Mithral + 49k (+7 bonus: +1 enhancement, +1 Nimbleness, +5 Heavy Fortification) = 53,200gp. At pixie discount: 13,300gp. If you originally paid 7312.5gp, then you owe 5987.5gp

So I'm deducing 5987.5 for that.

38119 - 5987.5 = 32131.5 left.

Merc

I'd notably also mentioned Nimbleness since you weren't accounting for any ACP penalty, and Nimbleness will cover that as well as letting you get +1 AC out of your dex.

For the most part though, as I said in PM, I recommend focusing on getting a shield/amulet/ring if you want to boost your AC rather than boosting armor up further.

I'd also say that I think the light shield is better than the heavy shield for you even if Dune allows Twilight enchantment for the shield. You'd be comparing an Animated Mithral Light Shield +2 versus an Animated Twilight Mithral Heavy Shield +1. Both have essentially a +4 bonus for the same for the same shield AC bonus (+4 AC). The light shield is however...well, lighter.

Admittedly, you might be fine on the encumbrance front, but since you're a small pixie and STR is your dump stat, it's worth mentioning. Also, if you need to drop enchantment to buy something else that catches your eye, the lightshield allows you to drop from a +2 to +1 enchantment easily and still get +3 AC, whereas dropping anything with the heavy shield can stick you with ASF, ACP penalties, etc.

The Heavy Shield is mostly better only if you've got ways of getting rid of the ASF like casting with heavy shields (like duskblade) or planned to take the Spellsword PrC.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 22, 2016, 11:10:00 PM
Sorry, Magic Item Compendium as far as I know.

That's also a non-weapon property on a weapon, which isn't legal RAW. In this case, is there another wondrous items that does the same? If so, that's easier to use as a base. If not, I'll assign a gold piece value to it.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'm not sure what you mean by non-weapon property, but the only thing I know of that's close is a Crystal Echoblade which doesn't really do the same thing but sort of has the same idea.

Anastasia

Oh wow, I completely mangled that. I mean a weapon property on a non-weapon.

Posting right out of bed seldom works out well for me.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Okay, -that- makes more sense.

For reference, though they're not related, the other items that do anything even remotely related to bards or music are Anstruth Harp (MIC, 150), Canaith Mandolin (153), etc. There really doesn't seem to be an item that actually has the Harmonizing property on it at all.

Anastasia

Okay, I'll quick and dirty call it a 40k add on.
<Afina> Forever.