News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Loot thread 3: Booty, broads and booze!

Started by Anastasia, August 23, 2011, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Done, go ahead and add it to your sheet.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

How would a ship that can travel the planes be priced? And how would it be created, functionally? Powers and all?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 15, 2016, 06:13:19 PM
How would a ship that can travel the planes be priced? And how would it be created, functionally? Powers and all?

At the least, you'd need a ship able to plane shift, generate portals or being hardy enough to sail the planes and pass through natural portals. Most likely you'd want a lot more than that, such as the ability to fly, durability enhancements and so on and so forth. Let's do a quick run down.

1. You need people capable of doing this. Most of it's possible by a normal contingent of mages and shipwrights, though certain specialized planes (Astral and the gith ships come to mind here) require experts in the field.

2. You need to build the baseline ship. Stormwrack has several ships and the pricing as well as more information about them, this is a good place to start. The price of the ship is added to the final price, obviously. Buying a premade ship is a bad idea here, since it'll need lots of custom work for the magic you intend to put in. It's also possible for something more fantastical to be built beyond the scope of that chapter, but it'll get expensive.

3. Figure out what you want the ship to do. Prices vary and tend to be more expensive than usual, since making an entire ship do magic is far beyond the scope of normal magical items. However, y'all have been working on Aurora, which is far more complicated in scale and power than a typical planar ship. As such, you'll get some breaks here.

4. Put it all together, enchant it all and total up everything.

Finally, the spell planar navigation in Stormwrack is relevant and helpful here. There's a magic item in the same book that can invoke it on a ship, that's also worth looking into.

You could do it fairly cheaply or spend hundreds and hundreds of thousands of gold on this. It all depends on how hardy and powerful a ship you desire. It may be possible to buy one, though these aren't common and usually extremely expensive. It would require some homework on your end, though with the party's resources, this is largely a formality. At heart, the costs of such ships render them a novelty to most. They're damned useful but out of the price range of all but the most wealthy or fortune travelers.

A side note: I'm not using any of the airship rules from Eberron. The prices are lowballed (as if 92k is low, but whatever) so that the setting has more ships flying around. That's fine but it's not what I'm going for here.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Also while the Enterprise represents a large upgrade to Kirk's abilities, it doesn't offer much to Q. We're closer to Q than we are Kirk.

"What does God need with a starship?"

Also I could make an effigy out of some huge flying monster with hollow sections for crew and such.

Yuthirin

Kotono says I'm in charge, so everyone gets 10,000,000 gold as of right now. NPCs too. Go nuts.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

As amusing as banter in nagging is, please don't bring it over to loot.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Anastasia

Domiel's gift

2 scrolls of create astral island
2 scrolls of blood of the astral troll
1 scroll of vlaakith's haste

Create Astral Island
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Effect: One astral island; see text (S)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a stable island of matter in the Astral Plane. The island is primarily composed of rock and may be topped with dirt or sand at the caster's choice. If the island is topped with dirt or sand, common plants and grass may be created with the island as well. Any grass or plants created by this spell are at full normal maturity, though they do not age further unless they are removed from the Astral Plane.

The size of the island is one 10ft cube per caster level. The exact shape can be varies within those parameters and does not need to take up all the space. Making it appear as a normal, rounded island is possible. The cubes can be stacked any way you wish, so long as it forms a contiguous shape and resembles an island.

Existing astral islands or other land masses in the astral can be expanded with this spell.

Material Component

A diamond worth 1,000 gold.

Focus

A githyanki silver sword, the claw of an astral dreadnought or other similar and powerful items from natives of the Astral Plane.

Blood of the Astral Troll
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min/level

For the duration of the spell, the creature touched is able to heal by fast healing and regeneration while on the Astral Plane. Creatures that do not have either of those abilities gain no benefit from this spell.

This spell mimics the healing the creature has rather than allows defiance of the Astral's timeless trait.

Material Component

A drop of blood.

Vlaakith's Haste
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Targets: 1 creature/level
Duration: 1 hour/level

The targets of this spell find themselves far more proficient in dealing with the Astral Plane. All the effects of this spell only function when a creature is on the Astral Plane. The creature gains the following benefits.

- Improved evasion, as the rogue class feature.
- A +6 competence bonus to Reflex saves.
- A +3 competence bonus to attack rolls.
- Doubled movement speed. Treat this as an enhancement bonus.
- A freedom of movement effect identical to the spell of the same name, except it only applies to natural hazards of the Astral Plane.

Special

Githyanki cast this spell at +2 caster level.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

These all need to be transcribed into someone's spell book for mass distribution. We go into the astral often enough that they're pretty useful.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Don't epic spells follow the pattern of normal spells in the game? Meaning that any wizard capable of casting them can get them at levelup?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

In general, yes. A lot of it tends to be obscure or fairly rare and most casters make at least some of their own. Obviously, knowing about a spell is requisite to learning it (as in it's in the spells topic over on R&S). A few are also noted to be closely guarded secrets of a particular faith or order (Selune's Shield comes to mind offhand), and logically you'd need to be have access there to get them.

It's safe to say Vlaakith has more custom magic and spells that deal with the Astral. As long as I don't post them, they're as good as impossible for the party to get. Of course, they could just make their own spells anyway, so eh.
<Afina> Forever.