News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

026.7 "Bel is just a henchman."

Started by Corwin, February 16, 2012, 05:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[21:07] <Kotono> Finding Hanna isn't hard at all. The training room is full. Hanna is there. So is the Master. So is the Jarl. So's the rest of his giants. So are a bunch of lycanthropes. So are several eladrin. So are elementals. For that matter, it's an entire, barely controlled melee! Several other soldiers watch and cheer. For her part, Hanna is trading blows with the Jarl, the two going back and forth.
[21:11] <Afina> "That's her there," Afina points out the blonde angel battling the giant. "Can you tell anything just by looking?" she asks out of idle curiousity.
[21:17] <Kotono> Sylvie watches as fist meets axe, the two parrying a series admit the chaos, "Her sins are light, it makes sense." Frowning a moment, "The one there - the Master, I think his name is?" Pointing at him, "There's a big lie around him. It's a dark fog and it's hungry. It sort of looks like a sword, too."
[21:19] <Afina> "That's eerie," Afina comments as to Sylvie's ability to sense lies without even hearing a word. "Willim brought him on... I wonder if there's something amiss with him and his god?"
[21:21] <Kotono> "It is," Sylvie agrees in a quiet voice, "You think it's bad on the outside, try it on the inside. Try lookin gat a person and seeing every sin they've ever committed. Imagine looking at a fiend. That solar fell for rage and pride. He grew to hate the mortals he protected, seeing them as foolish ants."
[21:26] * Afina thinks of all those she's killed on Ilsenine's say so, some of whom she was quite close to, and wonders what she might have seen in them if she had Sylvie's 'gift'. She's not sure which alternative is worse, and falls silent for a moment to consider. "I see why you want rid of it. It's much like one of those twisted wishes I've heard of my kind granting to greedy mortals."
[21:27] <Kotono> "It's worse." Sylvie says, turning to Afina. "It's far worse and far more beautiful than any wish. It's gorgeous and I want to sob when I think about it too hard. The flow of power from it is indescribable, and in the moment I destroyed the Child, I saw every sin it would commit vanish. It's tormented me and given me a reason to believe that everything that happened had a point to it."
[21:30] <Afina> "And for doing that, we owe you more than we can ever repay," Afina makes a sollemn admission, quite cognizant of the monstrous threat the Child would have otherwise presented to everything they fought for. "Whoever you decide should lift your burden, no Lifasan could argue with it."
[21:32] <Kotono> To this Sylvie is silent. She watches as Hanna pushes back to the Jarl, only to fall into a spar with three werewolves. "Something troubles me. The solar we fought said that our defeat was preordained. I saw the sin of our murders on it, lying heavy." She pauses, "I didn't want to tell Ithea, not after her friend and Kascha both...it only vanished when the fallen retreated."
[21:33] <Afina> "More devil prophecys?"
[21:34] <Kotono> "Yes. I've never seen future sins, save on the Child and that solar. I think, what I've gathered from 21, is that fate is entirely malleable. That shouldn't happen. Not naturally."
[21:35] <Afina> "Natural doesn't really come into it with devils, does it?" Afina points out, turning to look up at Sylvie keenly. "21 is a relic of the fundamental forces of Chaos and Law that supposedly forged Creation? One aligned to Chaos, even? What if the devils have its sibling?"
[21:37] <Kotono> "As I understood it, all Three made it," Sylvie pauses, "I don't -think- it's aligned to chaos. They might...or they have some other way of manipulating fate and destiny. Do you know anything about that? A relic, a figure, a force?"
[21:38] <Afina> "The Duke of Destiny was responsible for the prophecy concerning the Child of Lifasa," Afina supplies helpfully. "Queen Ilsenine overheard that in captivity, but little else."
[21:39] <Kotono> roll 1d20+50 (+15 Divine insight)
[21:39] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+50 (+15 Divine insight) and gets 67." [1d20=17]
[21:41] <Kotono> "The Duke of Destiny..." Sylvie's face scrunches up, "I think I read something about him once. Not a well known Duke of Hell, he's associated with Nessus, the last layer of Hell. The name fits, though, doesn't it? A diabolical prophet, eh?"
[21:43] <Afina> "Sounds like it. Also sounds like he 'decided' Lifasa would be conquered thousands of years ago and that my Queen would bear a hellish bastard that would break all of our minds while nine horrible traitors would rule over the embers of Lifasa," the fairy concludes bitterly. "Doesn't sound like he'll be any easier to deal with than Abigor or Bel, though."
[21:51] <Kotono> "No, but he's more important. Bel and Abigor are just the henchmen. If we have this right, he's the true danger." Sylvie's voice lowers, "If he has the ability to doom entire world with prophecy, he has to die. HAS to." She pauses, "It's probably why you have a pet slaad feeding you clues, too."
[21:56] * Afina cocks her head, actually thinking it through. If this Duke propheceys that Lifasa will be reconquered in nine hundred years today, even if they kill him tomorrow it *will* happen? Barring what, using 21 on the invaders? Or would using 21 on the Duke render all his propheceys void? Who knows? She sure doesn't! "You're right," she agrees at length, "Though it's harder still to defeat
[21:56] * Afina someone so unknown. Perhaps Medi left something in the library about him?"
[21:58] <Kotono> "It's a start." Sylvie stretches, "How about we go take a look and see Morniel and Hanna later." A real smile comes to her face, "It's been too long since I've really dug deep into a library."
[22:00] <Afina> "You're the one carrying 21, you can set our schedule," Afina agrees easily enough to that, taking to the air and turning towards the portal.
[22:07] <Kotono> Hours pass in the library. Once there, Sylvie gets to work. Humming softly to herself, a jaunty little bit of non-music, she starts going through the books - fast. She checks titles, flips pages. Most are put back within a few seconds, but a few get longer looks before so. One or two get put aside as she works, and at last you end up with an old, leather bound tome. It's black covered, a
[22:07] <Kotono> pentagram of fire on the cover. Sylvie opens it and starts to read, casually flipping through. "Here," she says, stabbing a finger down on one page in particular.
[22:10] <Afina> While not exactly slow-witted, Afina is still a long way behind Sylvie and mostly just rides the waves of her scholarly storm. At this cue, though, she flutters over the blonde's shoulder to peer down and read the indicated page.
[22:22] <Kotono> The writing is perfectly precise, every letter formed without a single error. Infernal, but unusually complex and yet hauntingly, miserably beautiful Infernal. There is an intellectual air to it that weaves every word together. Reading, "The Duke of Destiny called to the Serpent's Throne. He who Rode Possibilities born from the elder blood; Taelfagn knelt at the Throne as was perfectly
[22:22] <Kotono> ordained. Thus did the Serpent utter, "It is as planned." From there it goes into more detail. "Taelfagn, known as the Duke of Destiny, is a little known figure of diabolical power. As a member of the Courtiers of Perdition, he holds massive political sway within Hell. Yet he seems as much a non-entity within Hell as out of it. This is exactly as desired, for the Duke of Destiny's work is
[22:22] <Kotono> insidious. He represents the perversion of prophecies, the ability to see the future and offer hope twisted into domination at the hands of Baator." Here the page stops, Sylvie turning to the next page after waiting for Afina. "Promising so far," she says, starting to read the next.
[22:24] <Afina> "A name is a good start," Afina agrees after she's read the page so Sylvie can turn it.
[22:29] <Kotono> "As the Duke of Destiny, Taelfagn works two-fold. He perverts and attempts to ruin prophecies of the light. He works against fate, so that a promised savior is never born, or that he falls into the darkness instead. Indeed, many carefully laid prophecies are believed to have been weakened or defeated at his behest. In part, this may be part of his reason for withdrawl from most of Hell's
[22:29] <Kotono> affairs. Such an attitude could be better framed on that of demons, for the workings of destiny are that of Law. While such is understandable, it is utterly incorrect. The Duke of Destiny seeks to supplant all other destinies with that of Baator's. His second aspect is spreading prophecies of victory for law and evil, victories that lead Baator to greater heights and power. He works tirelessly
[22:29] <Kotono> to ensure that his vision of the future is the one realized, that only his chosen fates are known of." Another page turn, "Urgh," Sylvie's face screws up, "I always thought prophecies were what let the Prince save the Princess or something like that. I'd already lost that notion, but this? Ugh."
[22:34] <Afina> "He works tirelessly," Afina picks on that. "To me that sounds like there's far more to it than just saying something and it inevitably happening." Floating over Sylvie's shoulder to land on the table and face her, "If I prophecise that someone will die tomorrow, I can make it true by killing them myself. If I prophesied that someone will kill someone else, I could use magic to force or
[22:34] <Afina> mislead them into it, or frame the victim of something utterly heinous and provoke the killer to action. Pick any prophecy you like, if you're dilligent and active enough, you can ensure it comes to pass."
[22:37] <Kotono> "Mmm-hmm." Sylvie nods, "There's more to it - the Child needed to be destroyed by 21, didn't it? There's a power to it beyond mere action and direction of force, I think." Going to turn the page and start reading again, "If all you needed was your own will and a sharp blade, the Child wouldn't have been nearly so dire, would it?"
[22:42] <Afina> "No, but there has to be some trick to it," Afina replies. "We don't know that 21 was the only method - maybe the Child gained invulnerability in exchange for something innocuous, like dying if he ever ate a fresh pea, something no one would ever think to try. Or using some artifact on the level of a god's power to protect him completely from anything that falls short of that level. Obviously
[22:42] <Afina> we don't know what, but that doesn't mean there isn't a possibility beyond our knowledge."
[22:44] <Kotono> "True," Sylvie replies, "Alright, this next part talks about his allies and enemies. Doesn't get along with any of the other scions of order from the lawful planes above Hell. Gets along good with Caim, a Duke of Hell, as well as a fiend named Gazra - if I recall he's a big figure in the 4th Hell that has that stupid name." Blowing a bit of hair out of her face, "Also on good terms with the
[22:44] <Kotono> exiled Archdevil Haagenti - oh wait, that's dated, I can confirm Haagenti is back on Baator. Oh here's something. It mentions his favored weapon."
[22:46] <Afina> "A flail?" Afina guesses idly.
[22:47] <Kotono> "Scissors. He uses them to cut the 'strands of fate'." She makes air quotes with her fingers, "It has quotes around it, probably a term for fate. They can apparently directly edit a being's destiny or cut it short."
[22:48] <Kotono> After a moment Sylvie grimaces, "Strands of Fate, a term for fate." She sighs, rubbing her face, "Sorry, I hate when I do that. I get so into reading I stop paying attention to what I'm saying."
[22:48] <Afina> "Scissors?" Afina makes a face and decides not to pursue it any further. "Anyway, maybe it's like those Githyanki Silver Swords?"
[22:58] <Kotono> "Might be," Reading on, "Here it goes into how he was called to the Serpent's Throne - clarifies the first bit. Hm. It says that it's unclear exactly where Taelfagn came from, though it is generally accepted that he is one of the malefircareim, the first blood-stock of Hell. Apparently it was fated for him to be called to the Serpent's Throne when Asmodeus took power from the last lord of
[22:58] <Kotono> Hell. It's said that either Asmodeus trained him in prophecy and fate, or he trained Asmodeus. It's not clear on whi-Hm?" Shifting her eyes, "There's a note in the margin, Celestial. I quote, "Doesn't matter with the way the mechanics before the Compact were/was/will be."
[22:59] <Afina> "What does that mean?" Afina asks, not understanding what this Compact is or how it relates to Asmodeus and Taelfagn training each other like a snake eating its own tail.
[23:01] <Kotono> "That I do know, I think. From the way it's written, I think it refers to the Temporal Compact. It's why magic to travel in time doesn't exist, in essence. It's fairly obscure stuff. Just a guess, but the context supports it." Sylvie looks up from reading, "Probably some sort of pre-destination paradox?"
[23:07] <Afina> "Oh... so Taelfagn taught Asmodeus who went back in time and taught Taelfagn? Or the reverse?" the fairy asks, grasping it. "Interesting, but it could offer a weakness in their thinking. The difference between making a copy of a book about magic and writing a new book after being inspired by the first? They've limited their own thinking to follow a set path rather than broadening their scope.
[23:07] <Afina> If there are other experts on prophecy to be found across the planes, we might learn things that let us work around the designs of Hellish prophecies. 27 alone is a good start."
[23:08] <Kotono> "Something like that," Sylvie replies, "Yes, that's a good thought. They're working towards a goal...in fact, that makes that reprisal today make a lot more sense. Killing the Child of Lifasa has to have thrown a huge shock through them."
[23:11] <Kotono> Pausing a moment to rub her temples, "I'm trying to think my way through that, and it's like the old riddle. If you go back and time and kill your mother before she gives birth to you, what happens?" Sylvie sighs and shakes her head, "So they're following a set path. WE break the path and put it on a path we want instead. That's easy enough to follow."
[23:11] <Afina> "All of their plans with Lifasa seemed to hinge on having the Child present..." Afina allows a slightly vicious smile. "Taelfagn's reputation in Hell must be taking a big hit while they scramble to find out if they can count on anything they've relied on before."
[23:12] <Kotono> Sylvie chuckles, "This does remind me, though. Now if I understand right, that slaad is what lead you to following me, at least in part?"
[23:16] <Afina> "Sort of," Afina shrugs. "He told us 21 was important but it was vague and we had no idea where to look. But when we were in the Court of Stars and we heard someone with a heart full of hatred had been trying to find information on Abigor, she sounded like just our type," she giggles softly there. "You having 21 was an unexpected bonus."
[23:17] <Kotono> Smiling at that, "Mmmm. I can't imagine just anyone who know about 21, especially not some random slaad who just happened to end up in your company. Now I may be a damned fool for using logic with slaad, but logic dictates that 27 has to be getting his information from somewhere."
[23:18] <Afina> "It's hard get much out of him, unfortunately. Even if he has stopped using impossible codes," Afina admits, sitting down on the table. "Hmm, since we're talking about 27, you've met both it and Tannin?"
[23:19] <Kotono> "Yeah." Sylvie says, "I spent some time doing the rounds, talking to people. Tannin and I have a bit in common - we're from the same Prime. Not even that far away from each other. Don't know any of the same people, just a strange coincidence."
[23:23] <Afina> "It is," Afina agrees, though doesn't put much more on it. "27 constantly claims that Tannin is full of lies... it's strange, since both of them have proven reliable, and without any evidence I'm not about to discredit Tannin over it. I don't suppose you can shed any light on their disagreement?" she asks hopefully.
[23:24] <Kotono> "Tannin's a chaos blooded. It's obvious if you notice his eyes change color," Sylvie says, "Slaad don't really get along...or do...or don't. Depends on random chance. Might be a blood thing?" Pausing to rap her knuckles down, "What stands out about Tannin? Any signs there?"
[23:25] <Kotono> "Though," Stopping a moment, "He mentioned his mother. I thought it was a joke, but with slaad...I could see a slaad maid, if just for the random variety of it."
[23:26] <Afina> "Oh. I assumed they'd naturally have an affinity, like with aasimar and celestials," Afina admits, once more revealing ignorance of planar matters. "Anyway, as I said Tannin has been nothing but reliable and helpful, even if he joined us in a mercenary fashion. I don't like hearing 27 say he's lying to us, but considering how nine traitors doomed all of Lifasa, I'm more on edge about it than
[23:26] <Afina> before."
[23:27] <Kotono> "Hmmm." Tapping the book with her fingers, "There's probably some reason or another. Does anything he have or do show any reason to spook 27? Any reason at all yo ucan think of? A connection, an act, something?"
[23:29] <Afina> "No. I've only seen them together the one time, and Tannin was acting normally while 27 was more subdued than usual."
[23:30] <Kotono> "Magic might help?" Sylvie says, "I don't have anything." Sitting back now, "Besides a lot of things to think about."
[23:35] <Afina> "I can't," Afina shakes her head, "It's an insult to how he's already helped us. Thanks for hearing me out, though. Hearing about how all it took was nine traitors to doom Lifasa, as well as how Medi's crusade was destroyed from within, it puts me on edge."
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake