News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

009: It's a Trap!

Started by Sierra, August 07, 2012, 11:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sierra

<Kotono> ----------
<Kotono> Come morning as the party prepares to rise, there is a groan from the sleeping knight. Ever so tiredly he rises, sitting up from his prone position as the party prepares to travel for the day.
* Aleira squats down and waves energetically at the knight. "Good morning sleepy head! Ready to get the hell outta here?" Aleira isn't at all ashamed of her pun.
* Thyan groans as he rolls over, grimacing at he looks around.
* Fiora has food and water ready for everyone as they awaken.
* Iris gathers her things together, settles Barnabus in his resting place in her backpack. Mage and iguana both turn to look at the knight, one's gaze perhaps more or less friendly than the other. "You slept so like the dead, I half-suspected you were," Iris says.
* Thyan surveys the camp with a vaguely sour look before sending Aaliyah out of the cave to hunt and hopefully act as an early warning.
<Kotono> "I thank you. I am Crel of Winterbrooke," He greets you, "I recall you all as the last thing I can remember."
* Fiora smiles at him, "We chased off the demons who were after you, and are currently heading towards a portal out of here." She extends a hand to him, "Well met then, or as well as it can be in this place. I am Fiora Gauss, of the Knights of Libra."
<Aleira> "Nice to meet you again, Crel." Aleira rises and finishes rolling up her bedroll. "I hope you can walk. We're getting out of this plan as fast we can. Our friend will perish if we don't. Speed is of the essence."
<Iris> "Several fiends arose in the wake of your arrival. We killed most of them," is Iris's succinct summary. "If you wish to demonstrate gratitude, you might begin by suggesting the location of a nearby portal."
* Morana just sighs and pokes the earth with a stick as the others talk, looking all grey and dreary.
* Thyan grunts at the Knight, barely acknowledging his words as he makes his way towards the most covered place he can find with a line of sight out of the cave.
<Kotono> "I'll pull my weight," He offers, "I'll pay you well if you can get me out of this misery."
<Kotono> "That I don't know," He admits, "I'm not sure which direction I fled in. I was exhausted and hurrying as fast as I could go. If I find a landmark, I can tell you more."
* Thyan finds a place that satisfies him and finally turns to the others.
<Iris> "This is indeed our intention," Iris says. "Might I ask what exactly you are doing in this plane?"
<Thyan> "... This a good camp. Glad you found it. What happened?"
* Fiora nods, "Well, lets get going then. Eat and pack up quickly, I'll take our other rescuee and see if he and Thyan can find the way to the portal he told us of." Fiora takes the angel's prison gem and heads over to Thyan.(OOC: Gonna let the angel who knows the way and our team pathfinder coordinate directions.)
<Kotono> "I was kidnapped by a devil recruiter," Crel answers shortly.
<Aleira> "Right. Walk and talk, people. If he wants to talk, he can do it while we get out of here." Aleira trots after Fiora, eagerly awaiting directions.
<Iris> "Unfortunate," Iris says, getting up to leave with the others. "Your former employers will, perhaps, be searching for their wayward thrall?"
* Thyan watches Fiora approach, wondering what she's talking about.
<Kotono> "Yes. We need to hurry," he says, rather shortly.
<Fiora> Holding up the gem, she makes an introduction, "Thyan, this is Sasameil, an angel trapped in a gem. That's what was in the box that was so heavily trapped it put you unconcious. He knows of a portal to Acheron, and you're our tracker, so I'm hoping the two of you can figure out how to get there from here?"
<Iris> "No doubt," Iris says in response. "But it will be a couple days worth of walking before we can reach our portal, so let us hope that you are not high on their list of priorities."
* Thyan stares at the gem a bit suspiciously, but holds a hand for the gem.
<Kotono> OOC: Okay, what's your marching order, all?
<Morana> ooc: Morana will walk second in order.
<Iris> OOC: Iris is somewhere in the middle, with Mage Armor up
<Fiora> OOC: Thyan and Fiora up front, I'm holding onto the gem but the angel has no problem talking to others while I'm holding it so far. Want Thyan to have both hands free for bow.
<Aleira> OOC: I'll...bring up the rear I guess
<Thyan> OOC: works for me.
<Kotono> OOC: Okay.
<Kotono> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 94."12 [1d100=94]
<Kotono> roll 1d100 sub tables
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 sub tables and gets 24."12 [1d100=24]
<Kotono> You wander a few hours amid the gray, empty world of Hades. You go around a few sink holes and chasms, past the broken trees and empty hollows. You walk for perhaps three or so hours, until Thyan can see it ahead. It's about 400ft away and coming into view abruptly, as if an unseen haze is splitting apart. A woman in a magnificent red ballroom gown, head bowed and hidden by a matching parasol.
* Thyan stops, motions a warning to the others, and tries to find cover. And a clear line of fire.
<Kotono> There's no real cover, unfortunately - just cracked ground and broken skies of colorless despair. You passed the last withered grove about five minutes aog.
<Thyan> OOC: Any chance of blending in for hide?
<Kotono> OOC: You could in the dirt if you wanted. Hiding a cart and horse and party behind you is going ot be more of a trick, but hiding yourself hsould be possible.
<Aleira> OOC: I want to just go around
<Aleira> OOC: Alll the way around
<Thyan> OOC: Going to try to hide myself and gain favorable positioning after warning the others, after all, they're *way* better and dealing with talking type stuff than I am. 'Specially currently.
<Kotono> OOC: You could if you went longways, but it does depend on how good her vision is so you can't be sure if it's effective.
<Kotono> OOC: Okay. Make a hide check after passing it on, Thyan.
* Thyan quickly heads back to others, to warn them.
<Thyan> "There's a woman in a red dress. Noble looking type. About 400 feet ahead of us an coming towards us. Be ready. I'm going to try and flank for position."
* Fiora tucks the gem away into her bag(side pocket of the haversack) and attempts to lead the group around the area Thyan is warning us about.
<Thyan> roll d20+17 Hide
* Hatbot --> "Thyan rolls d20+17 Hide and gets 18."12 [d20=1]
* Morana draws her sword, figuring they'll need to kill this noblewoman who is clearly some evil creature and not an innocent bystander.
* Aleira follows Fiora in totally avoiding the encounter.
<Kotono> roll 1d20+12
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+12 and gets 16."12 [1d20=4]
<Kotono> You begin to go around the lady in red. As you loop longways around her, she stops, just on the edge of your vision. She keeps her head bows as she sings - words you cannot fully here, but there are distinct notes of longing and loss.
* Fiora does try to focus on teh shard sense as she goes...just in case of weird chance.
<Kotono> The shard is still in the direction of the Styx, which you're going away from now.
* Iris strains to hear whatever she can of the singing as the group circles round. IF not actual words can be clearly determined, maybe a suggestion of the language?
<Kotono> OOC: What languages do you speak?
<Iris> OOC: Common, Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Ignan, Infernal, Sylvan, Terran, Undercommon
<Morana> ooc: just common!
<Morana> ooc: good common too!
<Fiora> OOC: common, celestial. One more that I forgot to take.
<Iris> roll 1d20+9+4 WILL SAVE OUT OF NOWHERE + inspiration point
* Hatbot --> "Iris rolls 1d20+9+4 WILL SAVE OUT OF NOWHERE + inspiration point and gets 20."12 [1d20=7]
<Kotono> The song is in Elven. It mourns having lost something, something...
<Iris> "I cannot help but feel we should see if this person requires aid," Iris announces to the others. "She is singing in Elven. Unusual for Hades, no? Perhaps she is as lost as the rest of us?"
* Morana just nods and starts walking towards the singing lady.
* Fiora sighs, and nods to their knight companion, "If you could stay with the cart and protect it, please?" Then follows Morana, and presumably Iris.
<Iris> Iris is, of course, walking in the woman's direction, presuming no one outvotes her.
* Aleira sticks with the knight in order to keep the poor bloke company and act as a bodyguard should any demons pop up.
<Kotono> The knight stays with Hamish and Aleira, nodding. Thus the party detours to the lady. As you approach, you can hear more of the song. It is a song in Elven (if you understand it, if not disregard this), of losing her most precious thing, searching far and long for it. As they approach, the singing tapers off. In a beautiful voice she speaks, "Hello there," she greets, looking up. She has scarlet
<Kotono> hair that matches her clothing, no particular bosom but the features of elvenkind. Her features have that exotic, lovely beauty and grace of those long lived creatures, "Fair travelers, can you help me?"
<Morana> "We can't even help ourselves," Morana says with a sigh, the place clearly messing with her. "But I suppose we can only try."
<Iris> "We are in some haste and mild distress ourselves," Iris admits. "But if it is in our power to respond, please explain what you require."
<Kotono> "Thank you," She bows her head, parasol lowered, "The yugoloths took what I hold most dear under vile enchantment. The kiss of a man can restore me and restore my lost treasure."
* Fiora raises an eyebrow, "Ah...what treasure might that be, if I could ask?"
<Iris> "That is most unfortunate," Iris says, perhaps unnecessarily adding: "But it would seem that I cannot personally help you."
<Kotono> "Why," With a pure and innocent smile, "I am a man." Tittering into her hand, all lady-like, "Give me a man and I can recover myself. Do you know one? It won't hurt much, I promise. There was so much blood last time...but this time I think I can do it." Tilting her head to the side, "Just one more man."
<Morana> "You don't act like much of a man..." Morana comments.
<Iris> "I am not certain I understand precisely what you require," Iris says, confused.
* Fiora sighs, "That...does sound like something they would do. And...blood? Uh...before I ask any of my companions if they would be willing to aid you, why don't you tell me what happens to the man when you attempt this?"
<Kotono> "Oh, it's because of what they took from me." With a pleasant smile, a knife slides down from her dress sleeve and into hand, stained with dried blood. "Just give me a man," her smile grows, "My knife and some string and that's all I require."
<Fiora> "Ah." Fiora shakes her head, "Then I'm afraid we can't help you. We do require our male allies in one piece."
<Iris> "I must second my companion's concerns," Iris says. "The operation you describe sounds quite hazardous."
<Thyan> OOC: Once I'm in position, I'm preparing/lining up a shot in case it tries anything.
<Kotono> "Why, they bleed so much," The woman smiles even more, far too much so. "They bleed and they stain my dress and stop moving. They don't last long enough, but I've figured out the trick this time. Why..." Smiling, "I can open a portal and go home after this. Would you like to see my house?"
<Fiora> "If you can open portals, then you have better places to search for men to aid you then the middle of nowhere in Hades," Fiora counters. "I'm afraid we will be declining your offer. I bid you good day."
<Kotono> "You decline?" she asks gently.
<Iris> "Obviously, none of us are men," Iris states, backing away with Fiora.
<Morana> "If you're... a man, can't you kiss yourself?"
<Kotono> "I..." Derailed entirely at Morana's word, the woman falls to her knees, glassy eyed and stunned.
<Fiora> "Let's go," Fiora, impressed with Lady Sunfang's ability to deal with a situation even in such a state, suggests a retreat!
* Morana sighs. "I wish getting out of here was as easy for us as it will be for you now," Morana says as she trudges after Fiora.
* Thyan holds his position, covering his friends.
<Kotono> Thus the party beats a hasty retreat! Fortunately she seems to be stunned a goodly time, enough to make an escape! (More)
<Kotono> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 9."12 [1d100=9]
<Kotono> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 87."12 [1d100=87]
<Kotono> More hours pass, a brief mid-day meal eaten on the go. Come the 'afternoon'...OOC: Listen check, Fiora.
<Fiora> roll 1d20+2-2 haha my senses suck
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+2-2 haha my senses suck and gets 16."12 [1d20=16]
<Kotono> Fiora hears a faint grinding beneath her feet before...OOC: Normal AC instead of flatfooted.
<Kotono> roll 1d20+10 AC?
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+10 AC? and gets 23."12 [1d20=13]
<Fiora> OOC: not that
<Kotono> roll 1d4+3+1d6 and fort, Fiora
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d4+3+1d6 and fort, Fiora and gets 9."12 [1d4=3][1d6=3]
<Fiora> roll 1d20+10 fort save
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+10 fort save and gets 16."12 [1d20=6]
<Kotono> roll 1d6 con damage
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d6 con damage and gets 3."12 [1d6=3]
<Kotono> Abruptly, a large, rusty metal dagger erupts from the ground without further warning! It pokes out the top of Fiora's foot, impaling from bottom to top! Immediately amid the pain her entire foot and lower leg begin to throb and pulse in burning pain.
* Fiora whips Skyrose out instinctively, jumping away from that spot!
* Iris is immediately alert and looking for the source of Fiora's distress? "What is it?"
<Kotono> In the ground is the dagger poking up and bloodied, staying in place as Fiora jumped away. There is nothing else of note in the cracked, gray ground.
* Thyan stares at it for a minute, and sighs, wondering what an arrow will do to a giant dagger.
<Fiora> (OOC: can I cast Resurgance fast enough for a second save?)
<Kotono> OOC: Let me check.
<Morana> "Undead rising from the ground?" Morana asks with a frown.
<Kotono> OOC: Okay.
<Iris> "They are being very laggardly about it, if so," Iris says skeptically.
* Fiora quickly incants! (OOC: do I use my old save, or the new save since I'm down con?)
<Kotono> OOC: New save, since it doesn't fix con damage either way.
<Kotono> OOC: STrike then as said in #elysium.
<Kotono> As you talk, the smell of rotting meat and almonds fills the air, wafting out along with blood from Fiora's foot wound.
* Fiora grumbles and resheathes her sword, taking a moment to see what the hell just happened! (OOC: heal check to figure out what I just took?)
<Kotono> OOC: Sure.
<Fiora> roll 1d20+11-2 heal
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+11-2 heal and gets 26."12 [1d20=17]
* Morana grunts and keeps her ears and eyes open, with a special focus on the ground around them as Fiora checks herself out.
<Kotono> Checking her foot, Fiora can see that her entire foot has gone from healthy to grangrene laced, impossibly and absurdly fast.
* Iris frowns, casts a minor spell at the dagger to see if it is held fast by some subterranean wielder or not. (OOC: Prestidigitation, just trying to nudge the emergent dagger over, see if it's stuck firm or what)
<Fiora> (OOC: are we talking poison, or fast acting disease? Basically does the check give me any idea how I should be trying to treat this?)
<Kotono> OOC: Cure disease could remove it. Otherwise it rots away your foot, requiring amputation.
<Fiora> (OOC: can I stave that off with Heal checks until we can get somewhere that I can get a cure disease?)
<Kotono> OOC: YEs, but it'll become harder and harder.
<Kotono> OOC: If you're going to, feel free to take a moment and make a heal check now and see how it goes.
* Fiora doesn't believe what she's seeing, "It's...given me some kind of fast acting, near instant...GANGRENE. I..will need to ride in the cart, if I want to avoid having to...amputate...my foot."
* Fiora hobbles to the cart and tries to start treating herself in earnest.
<Fiora> roll 1d20+11-2
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+11-2 and gets 16."12 [1d20=7]
<Kotono> Thus Fiora begins to treat herself. As she does, a gentle, warming peace comes over her. As she works she begins to flay the skin away - revealing clean, untouched and undiseased flesh below. The gangrene is flayed away like callouses being filed down, as an aura of divine health and light surrounds Fiora.
<Morana> "The gods will provide. It is a benefit of the role ones such as us play," Morana says faithfully.
<Morana> "See?" Morana says, a small smile escaping even despite the greyness of the place, it cannot quite destroy her faith just yet.
<Fiora> "Well. Discomforting that took so long to work here. I...had almost feared it wasn't going to."
<Kotono> The dagger is nudged with Iris's spell, crumbling away into a cloud of rust and ruin.
<Kotono> "We are far from holiness," Crel speaks up, "But not removed from it."
<Morana> "Not yet, at least," Morana says, in an odd mix of hope and despair.
<Iris> "Fortunate that it did work," Iris says, shrugging at the dagger's dissolution. "I must compile a list of necessary supplies for the next time we find a peaceful city to rest in, and include on this list some potions against disease."
* Thyan also makes a mental note to look for herbs useful for such things, as well.
<Kotono> OOC: REady to move along then?
<Iris> OOC: sure
<Kotono> OOC: Thyan, make a survival check.
<Fiora> "Well," Fiora sighs, "I should learn that spell soon. Just in case. As much as I can conciously learn my spells at all, at least." With that, she fixes her boots and gets ready to go! (OOC: moving on, yeah)
<Thyan> roll d20+9-2 Surival
* Hatbot --> "Thyan rolls d20+9-2 Surival and gets 14."12 [d20=7]
<Kotono> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 68."12 [1d100=68]
<Kotono> The rest of the 'afternoon' time passes without incident. It's early evening, not that day and night seem to matter here. But the party is indeed beginning to feel tired, having traveled on and on. OOC: Going to keep going or camp out?
<Thyan> OOC: Either.
<Aleira> OOC: I vote camp
<Fiora> OOC: Fiora will suggest pushing on a bit extra, letting anyone who's too tired ride in the cart. Not pull an all nighter or anything, but every bit closer we get is better.
<Fiora> OOC: also keep eyes out for better shelter then an open camp
<Iris> OOC: I'm okay with moving a little more. Want to avoid getting so tired that we can't rest out of fatigue overnight though
<Morana> OOC better shelter is good
<Morana> OOC find a place that has a little bit of cover or some such
<Kotono> OOC: Okay. Survival check first as you continue on, Thyan?
<Thyan> roll d20+9-2 Surival
* Hatbot --> "Thyan rolls d20+9-2 Surival and gets 20."12 [d20=13]
<Fiora> roll 1d20+3-2 to Aid Thyan
<Kotono> OOC: Con checks, all.
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+3-2 to Aid Thyan and gets 7."12 [1d20=6]
<Kotono> roll 1d20+3 Crel
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 Crel and gets 6."12 [1d20=3]
<Fiora> roll 1d20+3 we con do it
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+3 we con do it and gets 21."12 [1d20=18]
<Iris> roll 1d20+3 just raw CON check? Dammit, can't use an inspiration point
* Hatbot --> "Iris rolls 1d20+3 just raw CON check? Dammit, can't use an inspiration point and gets 23."12 [1d20=20]
<Thyan> roll d20+2 Con check
* Hatbot --> "Thyan rolls d20+2 Con check and gets 11."12 [d20=9]
<Fiora> (OOC: Thyan should have +4 to that from Endurance)
<Kotono> OOC: Correct.
<Thyan> OOC: Crap, sorry.
<Morana> roll d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Morana rolls d20+3 and gets 16."12 [d20=13]
<Kotono> OOC: Aleira, Hamish and Morana, make your con checks.
<Morana> roll d20+4 Hamish
* Hatbot --> "Morana rolls d20+4 Hamish and gets 7."12 [d20=3]
<Aleira> roll 1d20+2 con
* Hatbot --> "Aleira rolls 1d20+2 con and gets 3."12 [1d20=1]
<Kotono> roll 1d6 nonlethal to Crel, Hamish and Aleira, all three are fatigued. More.
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d6 nonlethal to Crel, Hamish and Aleira, all three are fatigued. More. and gets 6."12 [1d6=6]
<Kotono> It takes about an hour, but yo ucome on a thick patch of withered olive trees. It's some cover, at least, keeping you out of the open.
<Fiora> "Come on," Fiora leads the wya to the cove of trees, "lets set up a camp."
* Iris has no objection to this plan, and neither do her aching feet!
* Aleira fair collapses on the ground after helping set up camp.
<Kotono> OOC: Okay. First, any healing magic to go around?
* Thyan helps prepare camp, moving around easily.
<Fiora> OOC: does Crel need any normal healing?
* Fiora does her nightly task of healing before bed!
<Fiora> roll 1d4+3 lesser restore Thyan at least
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d4+3 lesser restore Thyan at least and gets 7."12 [1d4=4]
<Kotono> OOC: Okay. Any nonlethal is minor enough to be wiped away without rolling with your charges. Go ahead and adjust topic. Are you guys going ot keep a watch?
* Thyan feels better, lighter in spirits, after Fiora's spell and smiles gratefully at her.
<Kotono> OOC: He's fine.
<Iris> OOC: I would assume someone's on watch at all times. I am not fatigued, require little sleep, and can certainly take one watch
<Fiora> OOC: everyone who's injured gets a cure light, I use retributive healing amulet to tag myself with 1-2 of those as well. And...I forget, does Favored Soul need rest like arcane casters do to recover spells?
<Thyan> OOC: With the ring of sustanence, i only need 3 hrs. sleep. I'll take the majority of the watch
<Kotono> OOC: No.
<Kotono> OOC: To Fiora. Okay then.
<Kotono> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 91."12 [1d100=91]
<Kotono> roll 1d100 sub tables Oh Hatbot!
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 sub tables Oh Hatbot! and gets 72."12 [1d100=72]
<Kotono> Thyan is on watch. The night passes by in a dull haze of misery - but about halfway through, he can see something approaching. It is a cart pulled by four black, smoky horses. Sitting in the driver's seat is a too tall, too thin blue humanoid dressed in gold threated black robes. He's passing by fairly close to the withered grove you rest in.
* Thyan quietly rouses everyone, whispering to them to be ready, but stay low and quiet, then goes for a hidden spot in the grove, watching them pass with bow and arrows in hand.
<Kotono> roll 1d20+15
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+15 and gets 20."12 [1d20=5]
<Kotono> OOC: If anyone les eis going to act, do so now.
<Iris> Iris, not moving and making her presence obvious if she doesn't have to, looks for the stranger to see what they're dealing with this time. (OOC: K:P?)
* Morana stares at the horses instead, wondering what kind of horses they might be to be such a shadowy black!
* Fiora blearily opens her eyes, and knowing she's about as stealthy as the average paladin, tries to see what she can from her position without moving much.
<Kotono> OOC: K:P, Morana.
* Aleira just lies quietly, hoping the threat will leave them be!
<Fiora> (OOC: take 10 for 15 on KP for me as usual if I can see well enough to get a check)
<Morana> roll d20+8-2
<Thyan> OOC:  Hide/MS checks?
* Hatbot --> "Morana rolls d20+8-2 and gets 21."12 [d20=15]
<Kotono> -OOC: Go for it, Thyan. Just hdie.
<Thyan> roll d20+17 Hide
* Hatbot --> "Thyan rolls d20+17 Hide  and gets 27."12 [d20=10]
<Kotono> The cart passes within about 50ft of the grove. As it does the blue creature takes the reigns and halts the four nightmares. Aloud he calls, "I am Hiram of the Mercane Consortium. I sell vital goods to one and all, at an appropriate price for the dangerous conditions."
* Thyan says nothing, staying hidden, but trains his bow on the target.
<Morana> "What goods do you sell, Sir Hiram?"
<Iris> Iris stands up. "No doubt," Iris says, presuming the appropriate price is a steep one indeed, in Hades. "What manner of goods have you?"
* Fiora will stand, since they were addressed civiliy, "Ah...good..evening, I think. Pleased to meet you."
<Morana> roll d20+8-2 what do I know about the tall greedy smurfs?
* Hatbot --> "Morana rolls d20+8-2 what do I know about the tall greedy smurfs? and gets 15."12 [d20=9]
* Aleira rolls over and goes back to sleep. "Damn door to door salesmen. Can't get any sleep around here."
<Kotono> "The most vital ones out here. Medical supplies, holy water, alchemical goods, scrolls and potions." he answers, "All at a reasonable markup...as there is no market for quite a long ways. I also offer apprasial and purchasing services, if you wish to sell hard one booty."
<Kotono> *won
* Fiora looks to Iris, "Perhaps he could tell us what those coins are worth?"
<Fiora> "And..." to the mercane, "do you perhaps have or know of anything that can help stave off the Grays?"
<Morana> "What scrolls and potions?" Morana asks as well.
<Kotono> "Leaving Hades," He answers, "I can provide such - for approximately 50,000 gold in value." Steepling his hands together, "I have an assortment of lower circle scrolls and potions of many types. Many healing and protective potions can be found. If there's one you want, say so and I can tell you if it is in stock."
<Fiora> "A potion or scroll of disease removal," Fiora notes, "if you have either in stock, how much would they be?"
<Iris> "Perhaps so," Iris says to Fiora. To the mercane: "We have some antiquated coins which could use an appraisal." She retrieves one such coin from the group's possessions and hands it over to the man for examination.
<Kotono> "1500 for the potion and 750 for a scroll. I have several of both in stock," Nodding, "I can appraise them. My fee for appraisal is ten percent of the value or ten gold, whichever is higher."
* Fiora sighs, but goes to dig out enough to buy a scroll of remove disease. Just in case another of those daggers pops up, and someone who isn't her steps on it.
<Kotono> Coins are taken and a scroll wrapped with a band of white silk is procured! "Pleasure doing business with you. Anything else?" OOC: Note the purchase in loot.
<Iris> It occurs to Iris that she is uncertain of precisely how many such platinum coins the group has, and therefore how much ten percent of the lot might be. She waits to see if the first coin draws any response.
<Kotono> The coin is glanced at, "Valuable," He observes, "But I'll hold my tongue until I see the entire lot." With a pleasant smile, "You said coins."
<Iris> "Of course." There seems no way around it, so Iris drags out the collection for persual.
<Kotono> The mercane takes out a pair of spectacles, looking the coins over!
<Kotono> roll 1d20+23
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+23 and gets 39."12 [1d20=16]
<Kotono> "Mmmm, pure platinum," He takes one and holds it up to gaze at, "Expensive. The entire lot is worth 8,400. My fee is 840. I'll gice you 7560 gold for them - that's minus my fee." he says. With a pleasant smile, "If you have more finds like that or something more worthwhile, you could even afford\ a spell out of here. Your friend," A nod to Morana, "Doesn't look so good."
<Iris> Iris has no ojbections to trading ancient currency for current currency, and is quite ready to do so if no one else objects!
* Fiora has no objections!
<Kotono> Coins are traded for mercane stamped golden ones, "Mercane Doubloons," he says, "Spend them wisely. Anything else?"
<Morana> "For 50 thou, we don't have enough to afford your way out. Not unless you have interested in rare and unusual daggers," Morana says.
<Kotono> "I'm interested in anything valuable," He says easily, as one of the four nightmares stamps it's hooves, flames leaping up.
<Iris> "Some oddities acquired in our travels as well, I suppose," Iris says, retrieving the ant idol and the elaborate box that once held the soul gem and displaying those for examination.
<Kotono> roll 3#1d20+23
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 3#1d20+23 and gets 110."12 [3#1d20+23 = 38, 41, 31]
<Kotono> "Phew!" After a few moments he returns the dagger and works on the other items. "The ant idol is worth 180 gold, so 162 after my fee. The box is worth 10,000," Whistling low, "Beautiful craftsmanship, "9000 after my fee."
<Iris> "Gold is distinctly more useful to us than objects d'art," Iris says. "I see no reason to refuse this trade." And unless anyone else does, she'll gladly hand them over.
* Fiora is perfectly fine with that.
* Iris indicates her acceptance with a nod!
<Kotono> Objects are traded for more gold - this time in several heavy ingots of gold. Each one is stamped with a big M in the middle, "Each bar is worth 500 gold in any standardized planar market," he explains, adding in some coins to cover the rest. "Thank you for the business. Anything else?" Thoughtfully looking at the dagger, "I won't buy it, but I'll over you 5000 gold credit as a trade for a spell
<Kotono> out of Hades." OOC: Transaction in loot.
<Morana> "How much for one of your horses?" Morana asks.
<Kotono> *offe ryou
<Kotono> *offer you a 5000 gold credit for it - wow did that get mangled.
<Fiora> "Well...even with all that, we don't have enough for that spell out. So thank you for the offer, but we'll just cart it around until we find someone who does want it, I suppose."
<Kotono> "Not for sale," he says after a moment, reaching out to pat it's mane, "As you like," he offers, "Strange. There's still powerful magic in the air," he murmurs, "Ah well. Yah!" His horses stir at that, beginning to take the cart away.
<Morana> "Goodbye, Sir Hiram! Don't make any deals with any night hags!" Morana calls out as she waves at the strange blue man departing.
* Iris glances around suspiciously in the mercane's wake, casts Detect MAgic and takes a careful look around the grove.
<Kotono> Iris detects magic from where the diamond is.
<Fiora> (OOC: even with it in my haversack?)
<Morana> "Time to start moving again in case Sir Hiram wishes to feed us to the sand worms?" Morana suggests.
<Kotono> OOC: Yes.
<Iris> Well, that's that, then! "Hm. Be advised the gem is plainly obvious as a powerful magical object," Iris notes. "We can expect some suspicion from anyone scanning us for enchanted objects."
<Morana> "Even more reason to start moving," Morana repeats, moving towards the cart.
* Thyan drifts out of the shadows, lowering his bow as he approaches the others.
<Kotono> OOC: Moving on or resting the rest of the night asn ormal?
<Iris> OOC: figure we finish our rest here
<Thyan> "I agree. We must be close to a path of some sort, so moving would be best."
<Morana> ooc: I vote move, but that's me
<Fiora> "If they want to inquire about the contents of my bag, I will inform them of thier rudeness," Fiora replies flatly, adding, "with blade's edge if they attempt to inquire forcefully."
<Aleira> OOC: I vote staying
<Kotono> OOC: Okay, resting. Will save, Morana.
<Morana> roll d20+11-1
* Hatbot --> "Morana rolls d20+11-1 and gets 11."12 [d20=1]
<Morana> ooc: not shocked
<Morana> ooc: -2 actually, at that
<Kotono> The rest passes. On stirring Morana is yet grayer, emotion gone from her and leaving behind only despair. She can barely manage to rise, the ground's siren song of succumbing and sleeping forever strong within her. OOC: -3 wis for a total of -6 now. Go ahead and react.
* Aleira wordlessly helps break down camp. "How much farther? Every day we spend in this plane wears on a me bit more."
* Thyan sighs.
* Iris rises, examines Morana. "Let us make haste," is all she deems it necessary to say.
* Fiora sees Morana, then her expression hardens. "We reach the portal today. I don't care how long we push on, we do not sleep another night here."
<Thyan> "I don't know. Try to make the best of it; this experience will make you stronger."
* Morana just sighs and stares at the ground. "I don't know that we'll ever make it out of here...not while you drag me on. Perhaps you should simply leave me be to wither and rot, like the rest of this world."
* Fiora pulls out the gem so Thyan and our angel guide can get us back on the path.
* Fiora then turns, and slaps Morana across the face, "I leave NO ONE behind."
<Iris> "I would be pleased to see this plane wither to nothingness, but I see no need for you to join it in oblivion," Iris agrees, though she doesn't quite feel it necessary to demonstrate her sentiments in quite as extreme a manner as Fiora.
* Morana just sighs as Fiora slaps her. "You should. You'll probably just catch what I have, and then everyone will die."
<Thyan> "You wouldn't leave us we're not leaving you."
<Fiora> "Let's move." Fiora creates the days food and water, then pushes everyone into getting moving.
<Iris> "From my knowledge, your condition is not contagious," Iris says to Morana. "The only thing that is keeping us here is your obstinence. Let us be off!"
* Morana trudges along with a sigh, figuring she'll be proven right sooner or later.
<Kotono> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 3."12 [1d100=3]
<Kotono> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 62."12 [1d100=62]
<Kotono> You travel for hour sand hours - and the blasted plains are silent. No attacks, no encounters. You go on for eight hours as fatigue begins to nip at all of you. Still no sign of your portal. OOC: Going on despite fatigue starting to nip?
<Aleira> OOC: Yes.
<Aleira> OOC: WE LEAVE NO SLAPPED MORANA BEHIND
<Fiora> OOC: We see if Crell has recognized anything yet. And yes. Also check with Samaiel(I know I spelled that wrong) about how much further it is.
<Kotono> OOC: Con check, all.
<Iris> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Iris rolls 1d20+3 and gets 6."12 [1d20=3]
<Fiora> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+3  and gets 11."12 [1d20=8]
<Thyan> roll d20+6 Con
* Hatbot --> "Thyan rolls d20+6 Con and gets 9."12 [d20=3]
<Morana> roll d20+3 Morana
* Hatbot --> "Morana rolls d20+3 Morana and gets 11."12 [d20=8]
<Aleira> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Aleira rolls 1d20+2  and gets 8."12 [1d20=6]
<Morana> roll d20+4 Hamish
* Hatbot --> "Morana rolls d20+4 Hamish and gets 22."12 [d20=18]
<Kotono> roll 1d6 and fatigued Iris and Aleira and Thyan.
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d6 and fatigued Iris and Aleira and Thyan.  and gets 4."12 [1d6=4]
<Kotono> OOC: Nonlethla and more.
* Morana sighs as they keep going. "Nothing still. There is no portal here, there either never was, or it has long since vanished since the spirit last saw it in the eons it was last free."
<Kotono> Another grueling hour leaves half the party sagging - but ahead is a cliff rise, surely able to give na excellent view of ahead.
<Iris> No doubt the party's relentless pace will take them to the edge of the cliff to see what lies in wait below!
<Aleira> "Sir Knight, take a look over the rise and tell us if there is anything familiar to you."
<Fiora> "Is this where the portal lies?" Fiora asks their angelic guide with a tired but hopeful tone.
<Kotono> On cresting the cliff, ou can see ahead curls inot a valley. A valley full of tents, hundreds and hundreds! Marching are rows of dozens of the bearded, glaive wielding fiends, like the one you battled at the Hag's domain. The gemstone radiates light, "Yes, yes it is. Our escape is close...as is a diabolical Blood War outpost. It seems the devils control it right now."
<Iris> "Information that would have been extremely valuable to us prior to this march," Iris says, eyeing their knightly companion as though this oversight in intelligence is somehow his fault.
<Fiora> "...exactly where down there is the portal? If..." she looks at Hamish, knowing he will not approve, "if we abandon the cart, it may be possible to sneak through."
<Morana> "Told you we had no hope of escape," Morana simply states, not even bothering with a sigh, just a defeated twinge to her words.
<Aleira> "Can't we just...go around them or something? We could observe their outlying patrols from here and figure out a pattern?"
<Kotono> "I didn't know," he responds, "The troop movements are top secret."
<Kotono> The gemstone speaks no, "No, there is hope. Devils are rational, as far as fiends ever do. A silver tongue and enough lucre will see you well ahead."
<Kotono> *speaks so
<Iris> "What *do* you know?" Iris presses. "About their behavior, patrol tendencies, command structure, anything at all that might ease our passage?"
<Kotono> "They're organized and defer to authority, ruthless and unified," Crel explains, "I'm not a deserter if anyone asks...and with the size of it, I shouldn't see anyone who knows me."
<Fiora> "...we tell them we're on a mission to kill demons, then." Fiora suggests, "and perhaps bribe our way through? They'll...probably believe us, if they can recognize either morana or myself as paladins."
<Fiora> "We don't advertise it. But if they notice..." Fiora shrugs.
<Fiora> "We can hope they'll be more interested in letting us kill a mutual enemy."
<Iris> "Deception is not among my skills," Iris says. "If this proves necessary, someone else is welcome to represent us as such. Until that happens, we use the meagrest possible amounts of gold to see our way through."
* Fiora tucks the gem deep into her haversack.
<Thyan> "Diplomatic and tricky speech are not my forte areas, unfortunately."
* Aleira raises a hand. "Gramps did beat a little flowery talk in my head. I can use it well enough...when I have to."
<Morana> "I will probably sell our souls away with how I currently feel," Morana admits.
<Fiora> "Sir Crell, do you think it would work to ask for whoever has authority to let us use the portal? Be as direct as possible, as if this were routine for us?"
<Aleira> "'Talk fast and loud enough, and you can bull your way through anything.' he always said."
<Iris> "Then I think it most beneficial that you not speak to the devils at all, Morana," Iris advises.
<Fiora> "They'll know the Grays when they see it, I'd expect."
<Kotono> "Ask for the commanding officer of the Infernal Denomination of Mortal Relations," he says, "That'll get their attention."
<Thyan> "How do you want us to present ourselves? If I hide well enough, they won't be able to see me."
<Fiora> "Don't hide, they'll assume something's wrong then. STay on the cart, but have your bow out. Be obvious as a lookout for us." Fiora suggests, "Our best bet is to act like we know exactly what we're about."
<Kotono> "Don't hide," Crel says, "Come out in the open. If they think you're sneaking in, we're dead or captured, tormented and killer or enlisted into the Blood WAr."
<Kotono> After a moment, "If you can, speak Infernal. Never Abyssal. Ignan is respectable, and Common will be understood at least."
* Thyan nods and checks over his bow.
<Fiora> "I only speak Common and Celestial, I'm afraid."
<Kotono> "Common," he says.
<Fiora> "Obviously."
<Iris> "I can speak Infernal," Iris says. "Perhaps more relevantly, understand it."
<Kotono> OOC: How are you marching in, order wise?
<Fiora> "Hmm...you know." Fiora muses, "We DO have a contract with a Lawful orginization. The...Harmonizers, was it?"
<Thyan> "Common, Elven, and Celestial for myself."
<Kotono> "It helps, but they often use telepathy to communicate," Crel says, "At least between each other. It's far harder to listen in than with speaking Infernal."
<Fiora> "Harmonies," Fiora corrects herself, "From Arcadia. We'll say we're on contract with them if they want to know what business we're on."
<Fiora> OOC: Fiora is in front, clear leader of the party. Ham is the cart driver, Thyan is our lookout, having a good vantage point on the cart. Others...can be wherever?
<Aleira> OOC: I'll be marching alongside the cart, near the driver's seat. In case I need to do a little stunning.
<Iris> "That is true," Iris says. "It may be of some value to demonstrate that we align with their more orderly tendencies."
<Iris> OOC: I'll be somewhat behind Fiora, want to be able to listen in on anyone speaking Infernal
<Kotono> Thus the party proceeds on. Down into the valley you go - it's not far until a line of barbazu - three rows of nine - peel away and head towards you. They are lead by a bigger one, wearing a ragged red mantle. Bellowing in Common, "Halt! Halt and explain yourselves!"
* Aleira merely stands, an impassive look on her face.
* Thyan purposely turns and lines his body up to take a shot at the 'commander,' but does not actually draw an arrow, but simply uses body position to show that he can, and that he's tracking all of them.
* Fiora stops, holding up a hand to signal the rest to stop. "Greetings. My group would like to request permisson to use your portal to Acheron, I believe protocol would be to make this request to the commanding officer of the Infernal Denomination of Mortal Relations?"
<Kotono> "Understood," The oversized barbazu barks back, "Each of you will line up there," Pointing ahead, "You will be searched for contraband before being allowed in."
<Iris> Iris obligingly lines up behind Fiora and waits her turn.
* Fiora nods, motioning her people to line up.
* Thyan does so, but in a manner that lets him keep all of the fiends in view.
<Aleira> "Hey boss. Help me open the chest in the back. I want to make sure we don't too much time here while they look through our stuff."
<Kotono> Two barbazu come and begin on Iris - patting her down all over and rather rudely, ruffling her clothing and caring nothing for modesty. They check her pockets and pouches, before declaring in Infernal, "Clear!"
* Iris sniffs indignantly once this undignified search is through. Really, what would anyone have expected to find on her?
* Fiora eyes Aleira, "I'm sure batezu will not have such inefficient searching methods that they waste our time. Get in line."
* Aleira shrugs and falls in line.
<Kotono> Next is Fiora, searching her over! They give her a once over, then go for her Handy Haversack...OOC: If you're gonna react to that, do so now.
* Fiora hands him the haversack, "Please be careful, I am carrying things important to our current mission in this."
<Kotono> The sack is opened, and the diamond comes out! Suddenly all eyes are on Fiora as one of the two interrogators holds it, the big barbazu roaring, "Explain yourself NOW!"
<Fiora> "It's part of our mission." Fiora answers simply, "We are on contract with Inquisitor Manar of the Harmonies, on Arcadia. Taking this gem to Acheron is one of the missions we accepted. We did not intend to pass through Hades to get there, but astral storms rarely care what travellers intend. If there is a problem, is there a permit I may purchase to carry this through your portal?"
<Kotono> OOC: Make a diplo check, Fiora.
<Fiora> roll 1d20+12-2 please Hatbot I need this.
* Hatbot --> "Fiora rolls 1d20+12-2 please Hatbot I need this. and gets 14."12 [1d20=4]
<Kotono> There is silence, save in Fiora's mind, 'There is,' The voice of the oversized fiend is loud even in telepathy, 'A safe travel with contraband permit is 3,000 gold.'
* Fiora sighs, "Well, completion of the mission comes first, doesn't it?" She then mutters, partly for show, "perhaps I can get reimbursed later..." then shrugs, and gestures to her bag, "I will purchase it, of course. Shall I count the coins, or would you prefer your people to do that?"
<Kotono> "They will," He replies aloud, the two barbazu coming to her as two others take up the next search, of Thyan. OOC: Going to do anything but fork it over?
* Fiora oversees the coin collecting, suggesting they take the mercane coins(surely being helpful is a good sign?), but doesn't get in thier way at all.
<Kotono> Fortunately the coins are taken and the rest of the search goes without incident. The party is escorted within, to one of the many tents. Here there are simple chairs and an empty table, a barked order telling you to sit down and wait before the tent flap is closed behind the party.
<Fiora> (OOC: I DO get the gem back, as well as a permit, yes?)
* Fiora sits down and waits, as instructed.
* Iris sits down. And waits. "Really, their hands were everywhere," she grouses. "Most inconsiderate."
* Aleira also sits quietly.
<Kotono> OOC: Yes.
<Fiora> (OOC: Fantastic. She'll have the gem tucked back in her bag, and her permit folded neatly in her pocket.
<Kotono> About twenty minutes pass before another enters. He is human sized, tanned-golden skin and diabolical features, along with two small horns. He wears gold stitched blue robes, a gregarously friendly smile softening his fiendish features. "Allow me to get to business, since I've heard your friend is in a bad way. I am Zandazar, Captain in the Infernal Denomination of Mortal Relations, Controls
<Kotono> and Contracts branch." He approaches, offering his hand out to Fiora.
* Fiora takes it, with a small but clearly tired, smile, "Thank you. Fiora Gauss, currently on contract with the Harmonies of Arcadia. We have business in Acheron, and would like to request permission to use your portal there."
<Kotono> "That can be arrainged, my friend," He offers, "You understand that there are fees and levies to do so," he continues, "They are reasonably expensive, but nothing a woman of means should have trouble with. They are 9,000 gold."
* Fiora nods, "Steep, but I'm sure I can convince my commanders to reimburse at least part of that. Very well, let me get the gold, and may I request a reciept for the fee for record keeping?"
<Kotono> "Done," he says, "I'll see to those fees," he says, taking out a scroll and passing it, "Right here, already prepared."
* Fiora opens the scroll, making sure everything is in order.
<Kotono> It's in order - everything is dotted nicely.
<Fiora> Satisfied, she rolls it back up and puts it in her pocket, where the other permit is, "Wonderful." And presuming he does not object, she will get him his gold!
<Kotono> The gold is taken, "Thank you," Immediately a barbazu enters, "He'll escort you into the portal."
<Fiora> "Of course." To her people, "Everyone form up, let's get moving. The sooner Hades is behind us the better."
<Kotono> OOC: Note the expense in loot.
<Fiora> OOC: already did