News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

ECB call to arms

Started by Brian, September 27, 2012, 04:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Okay.  I'm targeting this fic:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8374549/1/Haruhi-Suzumiya-SOS-Brigades-Greastest-Actor

It's 10k words total.  If no one else wants to join, I'll just be doing a straight-up scathing review, but if anyone else is willing to help out with this effort, it's appreciated.  We'll probably use #kitago for it, since it's a fanfic, and would disrupt #sr something fierce.  I'll probably end up starting either tomorrow or Saturday; in any case, I will be wading through the entire thing.  My goals are not just to lambaste the author, but also point out for other authors things to avoid, or how they are done badly.

I don't think it needs to be said, but this fic is really bad.  Enough that I want to fire up the ECB for it again.  Let's see if we can make this happen, or if I'll end up just being a jerk on my own (as per usual ;).

Soulriders, roll out!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

* alethiophile will do it, because just on the strength of the first sentence alone this fic totally deserves it.

Arakawa

Yeah, I can be a jerk about fanfiction, alone or with others :-/ Not exactly one of my most prized talents...

We'll see if I'm around at the indicated time...

EDIT: first sentence? Pff... take a look at the fic description. 'Major Kyon beatings'...
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

The4thEmperor

I scanned the fic, and I have to say it is pretty damn bad (not that I'm one to talk.)

I'd join in this crusade if I wasn't so wretched at writing scathing reviews. So, I simply wish the best of luck to you all.

alethiophile

For some reason I'm less contemptuous of people who bash characters or write them OOC than I am of people who just can't string a single sentence together. Probably something along the lines of I've seen a few fics which do push characters OOC into more antagonistic territory, and some of them are even good. It can be a legitimate creative decision.

Of course, from what I've heard the treatment of Kyon in this fic can't see "legitimate creative decision" with the Hubble Space Telescope, so I don't think that'll be a major contributing factor to my overall opinion of the fic. >_>

Brian

Okay, we'll be starting today at 5:00 PM PST in #ecb or at Midnight in GMT.

~exploding tag~

Kt3

PST?  Pshaw.

7:00 PM CST.  That's "Correct Standard Time" to you.  :)
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Dracos

Damn, that's early drac time.  :P

*eats all your timez*
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Chapter one successful, picking up for chapter two tomorrow around 11:00 AMish PST.

I'm about 50% through editing chapter one; I've got dropbox set up so people can get to it.  I've dropped a lot, since our commentary outweighed the actual fic by a pretty crazy factor -- the logs were 22 k words for chapter one.  That's something when the entire fic is only 10 k words.

Too sleepy to continue editing; will try and finish this up tomorrow before chapter two.

~exploding tag~

Grahf

For some reason I decided to look at the couple of paragraphs of the last chapter.

What. Just. What.

Do I even want to know? I don't do I?

VySaika

So after Aleth's comments, I opened up that thing to read the first sentence out of curiosity. This turned out to be a mistake, because now I have a headache. Reading the ECB review when you're done should be entertaining.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Brian

Chapter two down.  Still need to polish them, but the primary editing's been done.

Chapter three ... I need a break.  My mind has to heal.  Wendesday, aiming for 7:00 PM PST.

~exploding tag~

Xsen

Just wanted to clarify, are you guys just commenting on this fic or rewriting it to see if anything better can be made?

You see, I somehow managed to read it through, and if it is the latter, I'd love to see the result... :)

alethiophile

Just commenting, in snarky and insulting tone. The result is entertaining in its own right, but more so for those who can be induced to enjoy others' discomfiture when they deserve it.

I'm pretty sure the premise of this one is irreparable. And while certainly proper writing skills would make it better, that doesn't mean any of us want to write something on this (stupid) premise.

Brian

Well, I will be writing a story inspired by this one, but that will happen later.

It will be a horror story.

~exploding tag~