News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

054.2 "Be strong and endure."

Started by Corwin, October 18, 2012, 05:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[19:18] <Koaway> In the aftermath, Jaela pauses over Tepen. He rests in the infirmary for now, still asleep. As you watch him, Hanna comes to your side. She looks down on him before turning her gaze to Jaela, "How bad was it?"
[19:20] * Jaela takes a few moments to think about her answer, first. "He was some weird quasideity thing on top of devil nobility. And there was only so much we could call upon without risking offending Auril. But those things aside, it was about as bad as fighting a Nessian."
[19:22] <Koaway> "Better than I thought, but better than facing him in a fair fight." Glancing at Jaela, "It wasn't a fair fight, was it?"
[19:23] <Jaela> "It actually came as close as you can to that term when ganging up on things that are impossibly stronger than any of you." Jaela shrugs. "He whined about not having any traps or minions and accused us of an ambush--" She snorts, forcing down a grin. "That sort of thing just makes you feel like it came pretty close to fair."
[19:26] <Koaway> "So extremely unfair for him," Hanna smiles just a little bit, "Good. He's dead?"
[19:27] <Jaela> "Yeah, Auril said something about eating his soul after his body exploded all over. No reincarnation in the Hells for Abigor, seems like."
[19:31] <Koaway> Hanna smiles and exhales, "Even if the cycle of Hell continues - I'm sure there's already another Duke in his place - Aurora won a great victory today. You pushed him into a corner and finished him off. Good work, Jaela."
[19:34] <Jaela> "Wasn't just me, but I did my part. Thanks, Mom." She glances down at the resting Tepen. "Shame about what the old man went through. He threw himself in danger despite how he normally fights! Think there's anything we could do for him now, at least? If he's fighting some remnants of Abigor's evil in his mind, can we help him do that?"
[19:35] <Koaway> "Maybe. Who treated him?" Hanna asks, looking down at Tepen as well.
[19:37] <Jaela> "Priest and I. We think it's this sort-of curse and his mind just couldn't handle being so near Abigor near the end. Priest figures the rest in these beds will help, but it's not much of a solution to just stand here helplessly and watch from the sidelines, is it? Hoping it'd be for the best instead of trying to affect the outcome?"
[19:38] <Koaway> "The concept of Abigor was too much for Tepen's mind?" Hanna frowns, "Did anything unusual happen as you fought him? Any sort of spiritual contamination or attack?"
[19:40] <Jaela> "We saw these images of hate and death and murder and all that good stuff," Jaela responds, dutifully summarizing that which she manages to remember from those terse moments during the fight. "And my wounds feel worse than usual, even after I treated them myself. I asked Priest to look into that for me."
[19:42] <Koaway> Jaela's wounds ache anew at thinking of them, another surge of deep rooted pain. "That sounds like what Abigor is polluted Tepen." Looking to Jaela, "You're more resistant based on your heritage, but what about the others? Adrian and Ithea in particular, they're mortal and more susceptible."
[19:43] <Jaela> "Didn't complain. No one did, though we did worry about Tepen plenty for obvious reasons." Jaela frowns. "Think you want to try your own brand of recovery? Restoration, a heal, then see how things go?"
[19:45] <Koaway> "What did the two of you try?" Hanna asks, "I'm fairly certain typical healing won't work. There's nothing physically wrong with him. But trying a Heal couldn't hurt."
[19:46] <Jaela> "I meant on me," Jaela clarifies. "We were hit with the same thing, right? So if we find out how to make me more comfortable, we just use more of the same on the others."
[19:49] <Koaway> "Oh." Hanna frowns, "Sorry. Let me try this first," Hanna puts a hand on Jaela's shoulder, lifegiving warmth flooding her body! It momentarily dulls the pain of her healed wounds, but within moments the pain returns.
[19:51] <Jaela> "Only helped for a moment," Jaela muses. "Dana will be so envious."
[19:58] <Kotono> "I'm going to assume it's some sort of spiritual contamination, wound or echo from him." Hanna says, "Unfortunately, these things can't be washed away with a healing spell. If I'm right, it's largely an internal battle to purge with your own, superior spiritual concept. Abigor was a representation of cruel war and whatever else he was."
[20:02] <Jaela> "I'm a representation of still being here despite whatever shitty turn my life might take, so I figure my chances of winning are decent?" Jaela shakes her head, sitting down on the bed next to Tepen's. "Is there anything I can do for myself? If you don't have an idea for how to help the old man, I might as well make sure I'm still properly here to greet him when he beats this thing."
[20:08] <Kotono> "Do you ever meditate or deeply pray? Any sort of focused introspection?" Hanna asks.
[20:09] <Jaela> "When I wake up, if we're not under attack," Jaela muses. "Plus on special occasions. Pilgrimages, that sort of thing." She tilts her head in consideration. "Think I should try it now?"
[20:12] <Kotono> Hanna considers a moment, before nodding, "I won't lie to you. Abigor is probably tens or hundreds of thousands of years older than you. His concept is far stronger than yours, and even a sliver of it is isn't trivial to defeat. This will likely be a long process and not as easy as physical wounds are to overcome. What you'll want to do is to clear you mind and meditate on what you are. What
[20:12] <Kotono> do you represent? Focus on that."
[20:13] <Jaela> "What do you think I represent?" Jaela asks curiously. "Right now, anyway. People change and all."
[20:13] <Kotono> Hanna smiles just a little bit, "It would be better if I don't answer that. What I think you represent and what you truly represent may not be the same thing."
[20:14] <Jaela> "Nice dodge." Jaela gives her thumbs up. "Okay, watch over the old man for me, then? If I'm gonna do this properly, it'll be over at the temple."
[20:18] <Kotono> "Good luck and may the Court watch over you," Hanna says.
[20:19] <Jaela> Grinning at Hanna, Jaela makes her way to the temple of the Triune upon Aurora's grounds.
[20:26] <Kotono> You find peace there. Priest isn't there, but Mei is. She looks to be in deep reflection or meditation, eyes closed and kneeling. A warmth and a pleasant scent of grass is here.
[20:27] <Jaela> "Mind if I join you?" Jaela asks, coming up to Mei.
[20:33] <Kotono> Mei looks up and smiles, reaching up and taking Jaela's hand.
[20:37] * Jaela returns the smile. "Mom recommended that I try to sort out properly just what I stand for. And this is the best place for that, as far as I'm concerned. Will I be in the way?"
[20:38] <Kotono> Mei shakes her head, squeezing JAela's hand after.
[20:41] <Jaela> "Alright! First, I beat that nasty thing. Then, I see about helping the old man and the others beat theirs, if they haven't already. And after, let's find some worthy cause and go for it. I bet there's evil properly needing to be defeated and just waiting for us to do something about it?"
[20:45] <Kotono> The smile you get is ear to ear, Mei looking on with affection.
[20:56] <Jaela> Jaela holds Mei's gaze for a bit longer before collecting herself and kneeling by the altar. She needs to focus properly for the medidation, and that much comes easily both from experience and by virtue of her willpower. What matters is how she sees herself, and that kept on changing in the last few years. Steadfast would probably suit her well throughout, but it's more a description of how far she is willing to go for her beliefs rather than said beliefs themselves. Unity comes into the picture next. But while she is considering that, it's probably what awaits her in the future. Much as she thinks the idea behind it is right, Jaela is not quite ready to fully embrace that idea in everything just yet. She is forced to look further within, then, and decides that renewal is probably the best choice for the present her. It had always been a fit, considering the Triune's sponsorship, but that concept which synchronizes so well with the Aurora's own mythology and image is the one she wants to embody right now. Take the lessons of the past, get over the hurdles and become a new, better person in the process. Try to do it on a grander scale, with her world and beyond.
[21:00] <Kotono> OOC: Make a concentration check. This is just to set up and should be a gimme.
[21:01] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[21:01] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+25 and gets 44." [1d20=19]
[21:03] <Kotono> In this Jaela slips into deep meditation. The world around her fades to the slow progress of her breathing. In and out, in and out, in and out. It takes time, but soon Jaela blocks out the rest of the world. She focuses...OOC: Wis check.
[21:07] <Jaela> roll 1d20+7
[21:07] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+7 and gets 8." [1d20=1]
[21:12] <Kotono> Jaela focuses on herself...but in the void of he rmind, it happens again. Her brow furrows as vision after vision of horrors come to mind. Her eyes tighten shut as Jaela turns her back on a regimen of captives left for the pain devils. Her wounds ache, ache, ache. Pain comes to Jaela, disturbing and ultimately causing her to come out of her meditation, gasping and holding her healed shoulder.
[21:13] * Jaela steadies herself on the altar with both hands, grimacing.
[21:15] <Kotono> Lady Mei is there, hands supporting Jaela as well. At her other side is Ebony, doing the same. "Are you unwell?" Ebony asks.
[21:16] <Jaela> "Abigor's making me see horrible shit even from beyond the grave." Jaela plops down on her back, staring up at the ceiling. "Five minute break and I'll try again."
[21:18] <Kotono> Each breath makes your wounds throb anew, Ebony kneeling next to you. Mei meanwhile fetches some water, offering it to Jaela.
[21:21] <Jaela> With a relieved smile by way of thanks, Jaela accepts the water from Mei and drinks to refresh herself. "It's not the pain, either. I can deal with that. But it's knowing that some loser part of him is still here. And seeing those people that he had rounded up and tortured. You know? Some of them might even still be there! But I can't do a thing about it. I dunno what to think about it."
[21:28] <Kotono> "Be strong and endure," Ebony advises, "Cure thyself so you can aid others."
[21:31] <Jaela> "Enduring it is." Jaela runs a hand through her hair, and then comes to kneel before the altar again. Her eye closed, she focuses past the pain on her nature. Whatever Abigor's words to Auril, he never changed his stripes. Auril herself knew and said as much. In that case, Jaela representing what amounts to a positive change in a certain sense should be anathema to any remnants of Abigor as much as it was to him.
[21:35] <Kotono> OOC: Concentration check again.
[21:36] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[21:36] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+25 and gets 35." [1d20=10]
[21:37] <Kotono> It's harder to slip under this time. The pain of the wounds and some mental fatigue require more effortless effort, but eventually Jaela slips under once more. OOC: Wis again.
[21:37] <Jaela> roll 1d20+7
[21:37] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+7 and gets 27." [1d20=20]
[21:39] <Jaela> OOC: Geez, it's +9, not +7
[21:41] <Kotono> Jaela wounds ache - but despite it she pushes back. In her mind she sees herself and her deeds. She feels a sense of purpose...and slowly no memories come. When her eyes open once more, her wounds still ache, but slightly less than before. She feels somewhat better. Ebony's gone, but Mei's still there, another cup of water offered.
[21:43] * Jaela drinks this one as well, just as grateful now. "Another break," she says, "and then once more into the breach!My sense of self's stronger than any remnants of Abigor!"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[20:18] <Kotono> Mei nods, patting Jaela's shoulder before settling back down in with her.
[20:21] * Jaela reflects on her life as she rests. Mirajane would be the obvious example, at least where it comes to her personal life. She's all grown up, now, and in record time. What they had is gone, and only memories remain. But rather than dwell on it, Jaela can only look forwards towards whatever relationship they will have in the future. Thinking about that, she decides to try meditating again.
[20:23] <Kotono> OOC: Concentration check again.
[20:23] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[20:23] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+25 and gets 45." [1d20=20]
[20:23] <Kotono> Concentrating is harder this time - Jaela feels a mental fatigue creeping into her. Despite that she pushes it away, clearing her mind slowly and obtaining thoughtless meditation! OOC: Wis.
[20:24] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[20:24] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+9 and gets 21." [1d20=12]
[20:27] <Kotono> It's harder than before this time. Focus just resists Jaela's efforts, but in time she pushes it back. Slowly this time, perhaps a little progress. When it parts, Hanna is at Jaela's side, waiting patiently.
[20:29] * Jaela takes a deep breath, and then smiles at Hanna. "I think I've done all I can for now, Mom," she tells her. "If I push it more without resting properly, I'll just be fighting mental fatigue as well. What do you think? I'll keep at it if you think it would be better."
[20:31] <Kotono> "Jaela, you've been at it for nearly 12 hours," Hanna says, "Go rest."
[20:32] * Jaela stetches slowly. "That long? Really?"
[20:35] <Kotono> "Really." Hanna stands up, "I had to shoo off Mei so she would go rest for a little bit. She stayed with you the entire time."
[20:37] * Jaela climbs to her feet, rolling her head to rid her neck of its accumulated stiffness. "She's great." Starting to walk towards the temple's entrance, she waves at her mother over her shoulder. "See you in eight or so, barring something urgent."
[20:39] <Kotono> "Make it ten or twelve," Hanna says, "Give you mind a few hours of something besides meditation. Spend some time with Mirajane or Mirima, or go practice."
[20:41] <Jaela> "Got it, got it!" She'll think about it after she sleeps. For now, it's time for a good, relaxing shower and proper rest.
[20:50] <Kotono> OOC: Okay, what's your plans here? Rest up, social time and then focus on the aura stuff some more??
[20:50] <Jaela> OOC: Toss in 'check on Tepen to see if there's any change' in the social time. If no change, then focus on that, yes.
[20:59] <Kotono> The next morning brings a check on Tepen. Adrian's there, sitting on a nearby bed and looking tired. Crystal's there as well, as is Sylvie. They're all spread out, no particular conversations being had. Tepen lies the same, no obvious change as Jaela comes in.
[21:00] <Jaela> "How's the old man?" Jaela asks Adrian, heading towards him since none of the resident healers seem to be in attendance. "And how about yourself?"
[21:03] <Kotono> "No change." Adrian's color is bad, "Got told what was with those wounds. Didn't have much success with trying to meditate. Did you do any better?"
[21:05] <Jaela> "Yeah. I make for a pretty good opposite for Abigor, don't you think? The loser affects me more, but I can fight him better, too." She clasps Adrian's shoulder. "It's about our willpower. Let me kick the remnants of his shit out and I'll do my best for you and the old man, alright?"
[21:08] <Kotono> "Thanks," Adrian says quietly.
[21:10] <Jaela> "Hang in there! More than that, work on beating it! You should get Misalea over, or go visit her. Just be together. Meditation's not for everyone, but love's a force in its own right."
[21:15] <Kotono> "I did," Adrian says, "She's been helping me with it."
[21:18] <Jaela> "Then it's gonna be okay!" And she sees how important it is to properly deal with the problem they found themselves saddled with. It's not just about a bit of pain that she has to handle, after all. Thus, Jaela goes to train with her spears alongside the troops for an hour or so, as her mother suggested the previous evening. She'll tackle her meditations after a proper workout.
[21:26] <Kotono> The spear training goes well. On going back, Jaela finds Mirima awaiting her. She's just waiting, resting against the wall and patiently waiting.
[21:26] * Jaela grins at her. "Hey," she greets Mirima. "That's a nice surprise."

Corwin

[18:46] <Kotono> "So you didn't die," Mirima says, "A good thing to know, even if found out second hand."
[18:49] <Jaela> "I was sorta worried about seeing you ever since the last time I tried. Is it safe now?"
[18:51] <Kotono> "Is it?" Mirima echos, closing in to Jaela. She sweeps her off her feet into a passionate kiss, pinning Jaela against the wall. There's enough force in that slam to rattle Jaela's bones, the breath sucked out of her lungs. When Mirima breaks it, "There's your answer."
[18:57] <Jaela> "A great answer," Jaela murmurs, staying pinned where she is.
[18:58] <Kotono> "I thought so." Mirima smirks, "Next time, come by first when you get back from a dangerous mission."
[18:59] * Jaela snorts. "It was supposed to be safe! A diplomatic mission! Auril herself guaranteed our safety!"
[19:01] <Kotono> Lifting Jaela and carrying her bridal style, "I have half a mind to carry you back to your bedroom and ravish you to the point where you forget your own name. The other hald remembers what Misalea told me." Softening ever so slightly, "How bad is the pain?"
[19:03] <Jaela> "Still enough to make Dana giddy, but I'm winning over it." She grins. "I'd offer to watch my meditations, but they're boring like every meditation ever."
[19:06] <Kotono> "Too bad." Heading to a portal, "All the ways I know to make meditations more interesting involve ruining the meditation."
[19:07] <Jaela> "How about you show me later today?"
[19:18] <Kotono> "Later," Mirima smirks, patting Jaela's cheek and setting her down before the portal. "I'll come by sometime in the afternoon. Go meditate in your bedroom or somewhere private."
[19:19] <Jaela> She might as well. Occupying the temple all the time can't be good, and she'll see if she can make proper progress on her own, now.
[19:26] <Kotono> Thus Jaela settles down and meditates...OOC: Concentration check. Formality right now.
[19:28] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[19:28] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+25 and gets 33." [1d20=8]
[19:30] <Kotono> OOC: Wis check.
[19:30] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[19:30] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+9 and gets 22." [1d20=13]