News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

054.3 Muirfinn and Hanna

Started by Yuthirin, October 20, 2012, 12:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

[18:06] <@Kotono> ---
[18:06] <@Kotono> Rest. Rest comes followed by a visit from Hanna. Namely she knocks on Muirfinn's door, "Muirfinn, I need to make sure you aren't going to die or suffer a horrible death," she announces. "Can I come in?"
[18:09] * Muirfinn blinks his eyes open, staring at the ceiling a moment before rolling smoothly out of bed. He briefly considers annoying Hanna before simply opening the door and gesturing. "Enter if you please."
[18:11] <@Kotono> Hanna does just that. "There's been side effects on the battle. Do you ache at all? Were you wounded by Abigor? Jaela and Adrian have both had lingering pain and spiritual contamination from the battle."
[18:12] <Muirfinn> "No, no lingering pain or aching. He never touched me." Muirfinn shakes his head.
[18:16] <@Kotono> "Good." Hanna murmurs a few words, her eyes flashing with red lines and veins. She peers at Muirfinn, "No chill in your chest or anything similar to that? Afina's heart was transmuting to ice."
[18:18] * Muirfinn raises an eyebrow. "Nooo...I'm fine, really. Ice would not be unwelcome anyhow. I am a creature of Water."
[18:19] <@Kotono> "It also kills emotions," Hanna says, "But I don't see any sign of it at all." Exhaling, "I think you avoided the worst of it."
[18:20] <Muirfinn> "Ah, no. I must be fortunate to have been unaffected."
[18:25] <@Kotono> "You are." Hanna says, "I ran to check up on you and it turns out you're perfectly healthy." A hint of a smile shows on her face, "How was the battle?"
[18:28] <Muirfinn> "I'll be honest with you..." Muirfinn frowns. "I was expecting...I don't know, more of a fight perhaps? He was a coward in the end, and was completely incapable of putting up a decent fight. It was...really disappointing. I expected such a terrible foe to have provided a great challenge. Were we so complacent in our ways that when he arrived on Lifasa, we had no idea what to do?"
[18:29] <@Kotono> "I've heard the stories of his battles across Lifasa. A great charger on an accursed steed, shattering resistance with a single charge." Hanna slowly shakes her head, "You didn't face that, did you?"
[18:31] <Muirfinn> "Not at all. We faced him on foot, and we were upon him first. Still."
[18:35] <@Kotono> "So what?" Clearing her throat, "Fuck him. He was a monster who devastated an entire world for his personal glory. He doesn't deserve a grand fight or a titanic struggle. Being cut down with all of his advantages being taken away is what he deserved. Still, imagine as facing me without my spells and with my backup axe instead of my real one. That's probably close to how much it crippled
[18:35] <@Kotono> him."
[18:37] <Muirfinn> "Oh no, I'm not pitying him. Don't misunderstand. I'm just having trouble correlating him to the creature we crushed. That and not having a trophy grates."
[18:38] <@Kotono> "If you faced him in a grand battle, I suspect you'd have gotten what you wanted," Is what Hanna says.
[18:42] * Muirfinn shrugs. "Well, it's over now. Nothing more to be on about it." Muirfinn says, shrugging his robe on and poking Chok awake with a toe. "Anything else I can assist you with today?"
[18:44] <@Kotono> "That's it," Hanna says, "Unless you'd like to study what's happened to Adrian yourself."
[18:45] <Muirfinn> "I could give it a look."
[18:48] <@Kotono> With that Muirfinn is lead to the infirmary. Tepen is asleep, Crystal standing vigil near him. Several beds down is Adrian, Misalea holding his hand. He looks like he's asleep more than anything else.
[18:52] * Muirfinn eyes Tepen for a moment, nodding to Crystal. He heads over to Adrian. "Well, what seems to be the trouble? Hanna said Adrian was experiencing some pain?"
[18:57] <@Kotono> Misalea looks on with open worry, Adrian sitting up at the same time. "The places where Abigor wound me constantly hurt," Adrian says. "The wounds have been healed but they still ache."
[18:59] * Muirfinn makes a few hand motions. OOC: Detect Magic with True Seeing up. What the hell am I looking at here?
[19:04] <@Kotono> No magic. However, to your True Sight opened eyes, you can see faint bands of darkness lingering around various points of Adrian's body - the places he was wounded, you recall.
[19:05] <Muirfinn> OOC: Just bands or like wispy things that lead off into somewhere awful?
[19:06] <@Kotono> OOC: Just bands. Really faint.
[19:09] <Muirfinn> OOC: Any check to figure out what this is, or am I gonna have to pray on this one?
[19:10] <@Kotono> OOC: Do you have ranks in Heal or anything similar? Otherwise K:A.
[19:12] <Muirfinn> OOC: Remarkably no. I suppose I ought to have some. Huh.
[19:13] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22 K:A
[19:13] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 K:A and gets 35." [1d20=13]
[19:13] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+4+6 Lore because why not
[19:13] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+4+6 Lore because why not and gets 22." [1d20=12]
[19:18] <@Kotono> The energy is eldritch and potent, but Muirfinn isn't sure of much else.
[19:21] * Muirfinn leans back, shaking his head. "You definitely have some sort of lingering energy there. It's faint, but present. I'll need to do some research into it to determine how best to remove it. Sit tight, Adrian. We'll have you terrorizing the local animals again with that helmet of yours in no time."
[19:23] <@Kotono> "Heh," Adrian smiles, as Misalea turns. She rises and curtsies to Muirfinn, "Thank you."
[19:26] * Muirfinn waves his hand at her. "It is no trouble. If you'll excuse me?"
[19:27] <@Kotono> Hanna falls into step with Muirfinn, "Did you see anything?"
[19:29] <Muirfinn> "Dark bands of energy around the old wounds. Faint, but present. I don't know what they are yet, but they're not good."
[19:29] <@Kotono> "I noticed that on further inspection," Hanna says, "I didn't even see them the first time. Are you familiar with the concept of spiritual contamination at all?"
[19:34] <Muirfinn> "Not really, though I can gather it's not good simply from the name." Muirfinn frowns with distaste.
[19:37] <@Kotono> "At heart, I'm a concept. An ideal. All spirits are," Hanna explains, "What mortals call spirits or outsiders represent something. I have Good and Chaos in me. If you take some of my blood, you can detect the Good and Chaos in it. Now imagine everything a being that lives for hundreds of thousands of years accumulates. Imagine all those deeds, those ideals and what a being like a Duke of
[19:37] <@Kotono> Hell represents. Imagine eons of eons of Hellish atrocities."
[19:40] <Muirfinn> "I'd really rather not."
[19:42] <@Kotono> "Now imagine taking some of that and getting it mixed up with another person's spirit. Adrian said you all saw images of Abigor's atrocities when you fought him?" As you walk you linger near the portals, away from the others in the infirmary. "That's what was happening. Imagine it like tossing mud onto a pure white dress. In the simplest terms, it leaves horrible stains."
[19:47] <Muirfinn> "Well...then we need some powerful cleaner." Muirfinn asserts.
[19:53] <@Kotono> "It doesn't really work that way," Hanna says, "Healing magic doesn't do a thing. It's generally a struggle that the individual has to go through, to purify themselves and force the taint out. In Jaela's case she'll correct it herself. She's not entirely mortal and we're equipped to heal these sort of injuries. Adrian's a mortal creature and isn't. It'll be harder and longer for him."
[19:55] <Muirfinn> "Oh. Well, that complicates things." Muirfinn shakes his head. "Is there nothing I can do?"
[19:58] <@Kotono> "We'll have to find something if all else fails," Hanna says, before lightly sighing, "We're used to injuries being an annoyance until we get a healing spell. Unfortunately, this contamination doesn't work like that."
[19:59] * Muirfinn grumbles. "I'll hit the library anyway. Maybe we'll get lucky and find out Medi figured out a way to fix it with aloe and breast milk or something."
[20:01] <@Kotono> "Tortle medicine sounds fascinating," Hanna drawls.
[20:04] <Muirfinn> "You should try our cuisine." Muirfinn replies.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

> OOC: Gonna go library dive?
<Muirfinn> OOC::Well first I thought I'd throw my keyboard across the room on accident, thenyes
> OOC: Okay, what precisely are yoyu researching? Refresh me real quick.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Researching spiritual corruption and hoping Medi came across a way to eliminate it
> OOC: Make an K:A check with the library bonus.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22+15
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22+15 and gets 53." [1d20=16]
> Thus Muirfinn researches. He finds Sage Vul'lath already going through it and silently joins Muirfinn. The reading is deep and complex but the summary of it is this: Modifying the soul is difficult. It takes specialized magic to reverse these sort of problems in mortals and outsiders of sufficient power can reverse it over time. Note that this particular sort of cotamination is rare. Most possessions or darkenings don't use the raw essence of another powerful entity's spirit and soul. This is the sort of problem that requires said specialized magic. Alternately a deity's personal attentions can deal with it. In either case, it's preferable to have the victim overcome it themselves if possible, since the risk of damages is non negligable.
<Muirfinn> "Is it too much for a modified Heal spell?" Muirfinn grumps, setting his books down and looking at Vul'lath. "Devils and their corruptive nonsense."
> Sage Vul'lath looks up from the book he reads, "The crux of the problem is that a Heal spell heals the physical. This isn't a physical injury at all." Dourly going on, a frown working onto his face, "Technically it's not a diabolically unique situation. A slain demon lord could cause the same injuries, albeit likely in a different manifestation. A powerful devil of war's manifestation is through battle wounds. Entirely fitting." He looks down at his page, "Unacceptable. This entire problem is unacceptable. Injuries are a trivial thing for us, or should be."
* Muirfinn (~Desktop@ip70-176-70-231.ph.ph.cox.net) Quit (Quit: )
* Muirfinn (Desktop@ip70-176-70-231.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined #sonofdunes
> Sage Vul'lath looks up from the book he reads, "The crux of the problem is that a Heal spell heals the physical. This isn't a physical injury at all." Dourly going on, a frown working onto his face, "Technically it's not a diabolically unique situation. A slain demon lord could cause the same injuries, albeit likely in a different manifestation. A powerful devil of war's manifestation is through battle wounds. Entirely fitting." He looks down at his page, "Unacceptable. This entire problem is unacceptable. Injuries are a trivial thing for us, or should be."
* Muirfinn nods standing and beginning to pace. "I quite agree. If Medi, brilliant as he was, never bothered to come up with a way to fix it, that doesn't mean that we, bright in our own rights, cannot do so ourselves. It will take time, no doubt, and Adrian may overcome it before we can finish, but that matters not in the long run." Muirfinn raises a fist. "Just because it has not been done
* Muirfinn before does not mean it cannot be done at all!"
<Muirfinn> He turns to address Vul'lath. "You realize, of course, that this will likely be a monumental project, and if we succeed, our names will be immortal forever."
<Muirfinn> "Because according to what I' m reading here, even gods can't do this right all the time." Muirfinn taps a book with the back of his hand.
> "If we're to do this," Sage Vul'lath begins, "It's best that we learn what is known already. I can glean one thing already - raw power isn't the answer. Deities have supreme power, and if that is not enough, then it is a question of finesse."
* Muirfinn nods, pulling a sheet of scrap paper from a pile in a corner and beginning to sketch. "Right. We can gather enough power from a number of willing individuals, perhaps through a series of rituals? into a focus. Yes." Muirfinn sketches a vague, nebulous something onto the paper, surrounded by nine stick figures. "Gods can do it, yes, and I suppose a god with fine enough control and
* Muirfinn patience would be able to do it without harm, but it is much simpler to wipe out everything and remake it without the corruption. I can see most dieties doing this for their mortal servants, especially those who earned these wounds defending a tenet of their faith. Sort of as a reward for service, they are remade into an outsider in the diety's service. Follow?"
> "Perhaps that sort of spiritual reformation is where we should begin our research?" Sage Vul'lath says, "A discussion with one well versed in the direct matters of that would be prudent."
* Muirfinn stops. "...perhaps! You have someone in mind?"
> "Not immediately, but...Elena!" Sage Vul'lath says, Elena appearing right away. "Elena, if you've been listening, could you inform of any ally who may fit these parameters?"
> Elena makes a show of tapping her chin with her finger, "Well...Hanna's obvious, though I don't know if she's ever dealt with that. I don't thinki Morniel has. Hmmmm. Hold on just a moment, let me ask Galariel. He keeps track of these celestial things more than I do." Elena blinks away.
> As the moments drag on, "Hm," Sage Vul'lath murmurs, merely waiting.
> Soon Elena returns, "Okay," she says, "I have leads. The first is Antenora of Sylica. Galariel says she deals with mortal souls having passed directly and is friendly to us. Next is Kascha - Galariel has reason to believe she'd have insight, but she's out right now. Finally there's the Court of Stars - a bit of a fishing trip, but they're really friendly to us."
<Muirfinn> "All good choices. I believe we should petition the Mother Ocean as well. Healing is something of a specialty of hers, and she's somewhat fond of me, I think."
> "Wise," Sage Vul'lath writes down names, "So then the question is: Which one do we seek first?"
<Muirfinn> "I think the Court of Stars should be our final trip. They are the most distant and I know them the least. I'd prefer Kascha because she's closest, but she's out. The Mother Ocean is friendly, but is not easily accessible. Our last contact with Antenora was quite recent. I believe we should start there, then move to Kascha, Mother Ocean, and finally the Court of Stars. From there, we can
<Muirfinn> plan our next move."
> "A trip to Sylica? Is Ebony in?" Sage Vul'lath asks, to which Elena shakes her head, "Both her and Kascha are off with Dana, Sylvie and Ithea. They snuck away for a celebration." Pouting, "I told Afina to go, but she ewas all business."
<Muirfinn> "We will have to do without her." Muirfinn shakes his head. I'm sure she can be told to join us if she returns?" Muirfinn looks expectantly at Elena.
<Muirfinn> "We will have to do without her." Muirfinn shakes his head. "I'm sure she can be told to join us if she returns?" Muirfinn looks expectantly at Elena. OOC: Fixed
> "Sure," Elena says, "Remember, you have to travelto the portal in Ysgard that leads to Sylica. It's a demiplane so you can't Gate or Plane Shift to it."
* Muirfinn nods. "Of course."
> Sage Vul'lath rises, "I've taken a point to familiarize myself with the area," he says, "I can manage transport."
<Muirfinn> "After you then, good sir." Muirfinn gestures, standing as well.
> OOC: Ready to skip along?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yurp
> From there, a Plane Shift and a portal later leads you to Sylica. The realm is at night, restful and silent. As you look about at the Felic Gate, "Hello there!" A little courre flies up, all glittering light. "Welcome to Sylica! What do you seek in this holy place?"
<Muirfinn> "Antenora, if she is not terribly busy." Muirfinn says.
> "I'll take you to Mercia. You can rest there and I'll have her come to you when she can," The courre says, "That's okay, right?"
> "As you will," Sage Vul'lath says shortly.
<Muirfinn> "That's quite alright."
> The inn room you get is comfortable and wants for nothing. Sage Vul'lath sits in a deep chair at a table, leaning forward and with his hands steepled in front of his face. As you wait, "How is this Antenora? I gather you've met her before?"
<Muirfinn> "Bright, kind, and friendly." Muirfinn replies. "She assisted us in destroying the staff we acsconded with from Castle Crumbling."
> "I understand she uses to be a devil," Sage Vul'lath says, "I was surprised when I found it out, since I did not expect Aurora to have such an ally.
> "
<Muirfinn> "And Canderella is still a succubus. If a devil wishes to become something better than what they are, who am I to condemn them?"
> Sage Vul'lath merely nods slightly to that, his face a mask of dour disapproval, "My understanding of these matters state her kind are the exceptions that prove the rule. Much as Fallen Triel became a lord of Hell."
* Muirfinn nods. "It is a door that unfortunately swings both ways, yes. Would be nice if all the devils suddenly saw the error of their ways. Then we could all go back to Lifasa and everything would be easy. Lifasa is worth fighting for, though, and no thing that is worth fighting for is ever easy."
> "Mm." A noise of slight agreement and nothing else, as time slips by. It's still night when the door opens. Antenora's presence is a balm on your mind and souls, a sense of glorious and yet simple acceptance, love and hope. She closes the door behind her as she enters, aglow with the same opal light that fills her eyes. Looking to them with a solemn air, "Is Ebony well?"
<Muirfinn> "Oh yes, everything's fine. I believe she is off celebrating something, Elena said." Muirfinn smiles. "Do join us."
> Antenora smiles slightly, coming to join the duo. She sits, hands folded into her lap, "You seek my council?"
<Muirfinn> "Yes. We're doing some research on deities and you're first on our list for questioning. If you don't mind?"
> "I understand. I'll answer as far as I feel discretion allows me," Antenora says, "There are secrets that have been revealed to me, secrets that are not meant for mortal or even most immortal ears to hear. It would betray the holy duties I have taken on. But if it is within my discretion, I will answer."
<Muirfinn> "Great. Know anything about spiritual contamination and how gods deal with it?"
> "I do." Nodding slightly, "Do you mean the general concept or a more precise part of it? There are many things that can fall under that aegis."
<Muirfinn> "Well, a few of our companions were injured in the fight that destroyed Abigor, and Adrian has these black bands of darkess in his soul. We've just begun research into a way to eradicate it without harming the individual."
> Antenora hms a moment, "Tell me all you can of what happened."
<Muirfinn> "Well, we were fighting him when he stabbed Adrian a few times with his sword. Think he may have gotten Jaela as well. They both have this, though people seem unconcerned about Jaela. Adrian's a mortal though. Anyway, we were fighting him and he was strong, but not too strong. He lost, we won, and now we're having issues. Tepen's down too, but for different reasons I think."
> "Not too strong? Abigor, the Duke of Hell? You killed him?" Antenora goes bone still, "You killed a Duke of Hell and he wasn't that strong?"
<Muirfinn> "There were mitigating curcumstances." Muirfinn says. "Notably, Auril decided to help us."
<Muirfinn> "You know what? You probably need the actual whole story, don't you?"
> Antenora slowly exhales, out through her nose, "Yes, I see now. Yes, yes I do need the whole story." OOC: You can summarize it if you don't wanna do expo duty here, your call.
* Muirfinn tells her the tale, leaving out no detail, from letters discovered at Castle Crumbling all the way to Auril eating Abigor's broken self. Finally, he nods at her. "Any questions?"
> Antenora's silent for a time, as if to digest the story. When she speaks it is with conviction, "I understand. Your problem is as serious as you believe it to be. Jaela will be fine, as what she represents and her own sense of self will be enough to overcome. Adrian and Tepen are mortals and more gravely injured. Are you familiar with the concept of body and soul duality, and out spirits have a body that is also their soul, versus mortals who have a body that houses the soul seperately?"
<Muirfinn> "Yes. It's the concept behind ghosts and incorporeal undead."
> "Yes," Sage Vul'lath murmurs, "I presume this matters with it?"
> "It does matter." Antenora says, "There's no difference between the body and soul for one of us. We are what we are. We are pure and we are true. We are what only the soul can be - an ideal. An ideal we represent. In comparison a mortal is..." Hmming a moment, "The least flattering way to say it is they are constructs of flesh and dirt housing a marvelous treasure within. The treasure is wondrous, but the body limits the soul. It is not in tune with it and cannot be as pure. Now, imagine a pure ideal versus a pure ideal. It's a fair fight. A pure ideal versus an ideal limited and wrapped in flesh and it's not a fair fight. A mortal is limited and cannot easilyb ring to bear the same force that an outsider can to purify themselves of this taint."
* Muirfinn nods. "This makes sense."
> "So, putting aside immortals for the moment," Antenora goes on, "That strikes the problem with mortals. They don't have the purity and ideal to fight it off themselves. Fortunately mortals rarely are exposed to such energies, and the ones strong enough to survive are usually strong enough to resist them. But when it does happen, it's a serious problem." A moment's pause before she goes on, taking a breath and refolding her hands in her lap, "Moreover, it's relatively easier to manipulate immortal souls than mortal souls. Not in the sense of change them, but in the sense that a vessel of flesh and all of it's fragile connections are still there, not to mention the inherent difficulty of the sort of soul-surgery needed to purge that taint. The simplest way for a mortal to be cleansed is to die. If they have promised afterlives as a favored servant, they'll be cured as they incarnate as an eternal outsider."
> "Absurd," Sage Vul'lath rumbles, "Are you advocating suicide, celestial?"
* Muirfinn flicks his eyes back and forth, letting Vul'lath handle this one. This'll probably be amusing.
> "No." Antenora says with no small trace of heat in her voice. "Death is never the answer. The answer is always life." Taking a breath after, "But...if the choice is between eternal corruption and salvation, it may be allowed the afflicted to take on a suicidal mission and die a willing martyr. This is the most extreme instance. No matter. The problem is simple - the body and soul, while separate, are linked in mortals. Have you ever met a mortal of purity or corruption, and they have taken on aspects of that in their physical body?""
<Muirfinn> "It's possible...but that would depend on how exactly you denote purity or corruption. Are there standards?"
> "Yes," Sage Vul'lath says, "There are some on Aurora as well as various stories."
* Muirfinn looks at Vul'lath as if he'd ruined all the fun.
> "It does vary," Antenora admits, "But a celestially touch paladin may exhibit a hint of golden skin or angelic wings." Looking to Vul'lath and smiling, "I was fairly certain you had them on Aurora. But in any case, that isn't important. What is important is that it proves that the body and soul are linked. Now imagine if you're trying to remove corruption in a soul and you make a mistake. Imagine you make a metaphorical crack in it.  Now you can't really destroy a soul except by extremely vile measures, but you can injure it if you know what you're doing. Imagine what damages that crack causes."
* Muirfinn frowns. "I really couldn't begin to guess."
> "It's catastrophic, and so linked to a mortal shell, the soul can't heal like it could unbound. I've had a corrupted mortal come this way once, having fallen in Syala's service. I was able to purify him in his rebirth, but it was not difficult to do so. Being reborn meant the loss of his memories, and damages could safely be directed there. When a typical mortal dies, we have much more latitude. The difficulty is healing them when they're alive."
<Muirfinn> "Which brings us to our research topic."
> "Yes, you've done a marvelous job ultimately summarizing what we already knew," Sage Vul'lath says, "Lady Antenora, we need things we can use to help them, not estoric trivia of the soul."
<Muirfinn> "Quite directly put, but yes. We seek new knowledge and a method of relieving the pain and suffering of those affected, preferably without breaking their souls."
> "I know some of the art used to treat mortals," Antenora says, "But understanding the underlying theory is essential. Are you familiar with spells, such as Trap the Soul or Magic Jar? Spells that focus on extracting the soul from the body while keeping the body alive but inert?"
<Muirfinn> "Oh now there's a good idea." Muirfinn turns to Vul'lath. "That would make this much simpler."
> "Now remember even out of the body damaging the soul will cause problems when it's put back in," Antenora says, "But this helps. If you make a mistake, it'll manifest when the soul is returned to a body."
<Muirfinn> "So we'd need a part of the spell or a seperate spell to hold the soul together in order to prevent damage."
> "I've never heard of a spell that can protect the soul and allow it to be repaired. I'm not familiar with the spellcraft involved, but I know soul magic is highly advanced." Shaking her head slightly, "If you could design one it would eliminate much of the difficulty."
<Muirfinn> "All part of our overly-ambitious plan." Muirfinn says. "So, we need to look at removing the soul which should not be too difficult, preserving the body. Again, not too difficult, and repairing the soul. The bulk of our work will go toward repairing and protecting the soul." Muirfinn looks at the other two. "Any thoughts?"
> "It's sound," Antenora says, "Basic logic does suggest the last part is extremely difficult. If it was easy, it would be better known of and not such an ordeal."
<Muirfinn> "Well of course. If we can manage this, it will be ground-breaking. I've never let someone stop me from doing something just because it's supposed to be terribly difficult. After all, we managed to bring down Abigor. Even with help, it was a journey and a process."
> "I agree, but I want you to understand the difficulty, not discourage you," Antenora says. "Can I aid you in any other way?"
<Muirfinn> "I don't believe so. If you think of something, feel free to stop by the Aurora? Or for any reason, really. I'm certain you will be most welcome. Ebony would be glad to see you."
> Antenora smiles. It's a smile of wistfulness and understanding, "I have considered it, but my duties here are paramount. I accepted the station of the Opal Angel of Redemption knowing these duties would greatly occupy me. I am the first face the faithful of Alicia and Syala see after leaving mortal life behind. How can I do anything for them but be here and at my utmost."
<Muirfinn> "Well, maybe she'll send you our way one day. You never know." Muirfinn says, standing.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

[02:52] <Kotono> One Gate later, Muirfinn and Sage Vul'lath stand before the pool of water that leads to Mother Ocean's domain. Sage Vul'lath pauses to look about, wrinkling his nose but not offering comment. OOC: List what spells you have active in #thecauldron, by the way.
[03:02] <Muirfinn> "Ah, here we are. Are you prepared, Vul'lath? It's a bit of a swim."
[03:09] <Kotono> OOC: Make a will save?
[03:09] <Kotono> OOC: Note if you have any bonuses against scrying or the like.
[03:11] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32+6
[03:11] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32+6 and gets 41." [1d20=3]
[03:14] <Kotono> As Muirfinns tands there and Sage Vul'lath looks around, he can see a faint ripple in the air above him.
[03:17] * Muirfinn looks up. "Oh? What's this?"
[03:20] <Kotono> OOC: K:A check.
[03:21] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
[03:21] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 29." [1d20=7]
[03:21] <Kotono> It's a scrying sensor. Someone's watching.
[03:23] <Muirfinn> "A scrying sensor, then? Vul'lath, can you examine this?"
[03:24] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath hisses sharply, "Devil scrying, most likely," he says, grasping his dagger. "Danger comes this way rapidly."
[03:27] <Muirfinn> "Here, in Elysium?" Muirfinn scoffs. "They wouldn't dare."
[03:32] <Kotono> OOC: Make a will save, Muirfinn?
[03:33] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32+6
[03:33] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32+6 and gets 44." [1d20=6]
[03:33] <Kotono> Muirfinn feels his head open. No, it's not his head. It is his mind, opening up like a book. A book being read in silent emptiness - yet it ceases a moment after Muirfinn marshals his willl, shaking it off!
[03:35] * Muirfinn blinks, shaking his head rapidly. "Something just tried to get into my head!" He points at the sensor, intoning words! OOC: Greater Dispel
[03:36] <Kotono> OOC: Caster level check.
[03:36] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+20
[03:36] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+20 and gets 34." [1d20=14]
[03:36] <Kotono> Calling on the magic of oblivion and crumbling, Muirfinn strikes out at the sensor before him! It shudders and implodes, straining against unseen pressure! It becomes more palpable, a floating eye in the air that is crushed into nothingness!
[03:40] <Muirfinn> "Perhaps you are correct, Vul'lath. We should move." Muirfinn says, casting Water Breathing on Vul'lath.
[03:43] <Kotono> roll 10d6 damage to Muirfinn and make a concentration check
[03:43] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d6 damage to Muirfinn and make a concentration check and gets 27." [10d6=3, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2, 4, 3, 3, 3]
[03:45] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+33
[03:45] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+33 and gets 47." [1d20=14]
[03:47] <Kotono> A lancet of strange sensation passes through Muirfinn's mind. It's like being red, being opened up again. It doesn't hurt, but it hurts. An unpain that troubles him, but his focus is enough to retain his spell and cast it.
[03:48] * Muirfinn winces. "I appear to still be under assault. Into the pool we go!" Muirfinn dives in.
[03:52] <Kotono> Thus you dive in, swimming into the tunnel of water and away! No immediate signs of wrath or attack, at least.
[03:53] <Muirfinn> Making sure that Vul'lath is following and not otherwise occupied, Muirfinn heads down!
[04:12] <Kotono> Muirfinn swims deeper! As you swim down Sage Vul'lath struggles to keep up, mostly failing at it as he barely makes any progress at all.
[04:21] * Muirfinn heads back, reaching up to pull him along.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[02:33] <Kotono> With some aid he manages to swim down, "This...swimming is bothersome," Sage Vul'lath burbles out, voice distorted by the water.
[02:34] <Muirfinn> "You get used to it after a while. Just watch me and do your best to copy my motions." Muirfinn says reassuringly.
[02:39] <Kotono> Down the two swim them, Sage Vul'lath grunting as he makes passable progress. You swim on, soon coming to the city of the tortles that you have seen before. It's eternal splendor is once again revealed to you as you look about it, taking it all in.
[02:40] <Muirfinn> "Ahhhh, look at this, Vul'lath! Look! Isn't it a delight?"
[02:46] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath looks on, "It is," The underwater burble distorts his somber tones, "Unique," he finally says, "Aquatic locales must make any library difficult to maintain."
[02:46] <Muirfinn> "People adapt, and magic is a great thing." Muirfinn says, heading into the city.
[02:48] <Kotono> OOC: Okay, what are you looking for here exactly?
[02:50] <Muirfinn> OOC: The big auditorium temple
[02:58] <Kotono> As you swim along in the city...OOC: Will save, Muirfinn.
[03:00] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32+6 come on now
[03:00] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32+6 come on now and gets 42." [1d20=4]
[03:00] <Kotono> OOC: What are your 7th levle spells?
[03:01] <Muirfinn> ooc: Healx2 [standard, range 30ft. Heals 150hp and removes many status ailments]
[03:01] <Muirfinn> Rain of Roses [standard, 20 rounds. Range 1200ft. 160x80ft immobile cylinder, 1d4 wis damage to evil creatures, no save. Subjects sickened unless Fort save. SR]
[03:03] <Kotono> Muirfinn pauses, his head feeling...empty. Read over. Plundered. It's a strange feeling, as if an unseen eye is studying within him! OOC: All three level 7 spells are gone.
[03:04] <Muirfinn> "Vul'lath! I appear to still be under the influence of some sort of spell or creature. Would you mind checking me over?"
[03:08] <Kotono> Words are murmured as the githyanki looks over him...
[03:08] <Kotono> roll 1d20+30
[03:08] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+30 and gets 31." [1d20=1]
[03:11] <Kotono> "There's some sort of curse on you," Sage Vul'lath announces, and in a quieter voice, "We need to go somewhere quiet and private. I can attempt to remove it there."
[03:11] <Muirfinn> "The temple, then. A holy place. If any place could be conducive to it, that would be it!"
[03:12] <Kotono> OOC: Make another will save real quick?
[03:12] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32+6
[03:12] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32+6  and gets 40." [1d20=2]
[03:13] <Kotono> OOC: What are your sixth level spells?
[03:13] <Muirfinn> OOC: Fires of Purityx2 [standard, range 30ft, 20 rounds. Adds 1d6+15 fire damage to all attacks made by the target. This damage must bypass SR, rolled by the caster. Targets affected must make a Reflex save based on the spell's DC or catch on fire, burning for 1d6 over 1d4 rounds.  SR.]
[03:13] <Muirfinn> Greater Dispel Magicx2 [standard, range 300ft. Cancels or suppresses magical effects. Casts as +20 to pass DC]
[03:15] <Kotono> Muirfinn staggers a moment later, his mind again opened up and read! Spells leave him, as if pages plucked out of a novel! OOC: Fires of Purityx2 and one of the GDMs is gone.
[03:19] <Muirfinn> "This is becoming irritating. I'm losing spells, Vul'lath."
[03:21] <Kotono> Raising one eyebrow, "Quite irritating. A mortal insult," Turning, "Lead me on to this temple."
[03:24] * Muirfinn grabs him by the hand. "Let's move!"
[03:27] <Kotono> You rush ot the temple! You reach the grand structure without incident beyond that. As you reach it...OOC: Wis check.
[03:28] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+10
[03:28] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+10 and gets 21." [1d20=11]
[03:31] <Kotono> Pain. Pain in Muirfinn's mind. Fleeting images of a curled up thing, a fetus with a too large head and teeth. Curled up in a fluid of some sort, as sounds that resemble words are heard, "By the guiding eddies of the Mother Ocean's heart, be healed!"
[03:35] * Muirfinn jerks in shock as the pain rips through him, raising a hand in thanks. "By the gods, what was that?"
[03:36] <Kotono> "What was what?" Sage Vul'lath asks as Muirfinn stops, voice sharp. Meanwhile...OOC: Will save.
[03:38] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32+6
[03:38] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32+6 and gets 42." [1d20=4]
[03:38] <Kotono> OOC: What are your 4th level spells?
[03:38] <Muirfinn> OOC: Oh for god's sake
[03:39] <Muirfinn> OOC: Blast of Sand [standard, range 30ft. 10d6 physical damage in cone. Reflex half, no SR.]
[03:39] <Muirfinn> Boreal Wind [standard, range 1200ft, 11 rounds. 20x20ft area. Creatures must save each round or take 15d4 cold damage. Fort negates but does not immune. Wind can be controlled within the area, 50% chance to snuff flames. SR]
[03:39] <Muirfinn> Passage of the Shifting Sands [standard, personal, up to 20 rounds. Gaseous form plus 40 ft. fly speed (perfect). Cause blindness to enemies in space, and activate gust of wind to end spell. Fortitude negates blindness. No SR.]
[03:39] <Muirfinn> Arc of Lightningx2 [standard, 75 ft., instant. Two targets and everything in a line between them are struck by an arc of lightning. Deals 15d6 lightning damage, Reflex halves. No SR.]
[03:39] <Muirfinn> Sheltered Vitality [standard, 30 ft., 20 minutes. Target creature is protected from ability damage and drain. Does not heal said damage or drain.]
[03:43] <Kotono> Again Muirfinn's mind splits open, being read and devoured unseen! It makes him dizzy, yet more spells gone! OOC: Sheltered Vitality and both arcs of lightning are gone.
[03:48] <Muirfinn> "Errgh...I saw a fetus...head too large...and TEETH! And I heard a prayer of healing! The Temple! NOW!" Muirfinn hurries on!
[03:51] <Kotono> Stumbling. Muirfinn is stumbling. Hands are on him, strong hands, "Hold!" Sage Vul'lath says, suddenly entirely serious. "I don't have a choice, the magic around you is growing stronger."
[03:51] * Muirfinn holds then.
[03:53] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath chants, a pentagram of symbols and jewels appearing beneath his feet! "Weave, know my name and know power! I am Vul'lath of the Gith and I demand that you remove the blight on Muirfinn!"
[03:53] <Kotono> roll 1d20+19
[03:53] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+19 and gets 25." [1d20=6]
[03:58] <Kotono> Muirfinnf eels dizzy, but nothing else happens. Around him is an eye. A eye orbited by two others, staring at all around him - and then the image is gone after a moment, his mind feeling empty and drained.
[04:01] <Muirfinn> "I...don't know if it worked..."
[04:08] <Kotono> As you talk, a tortle approaches. He is clad in holy raiments of aqua blue, carrying a holy symbol of Mother Ocean, "What is going on here?" he asks sternly, "Brother tortle, are you in distress? The harmony within has been disturbed by you."
[04:14] <Muirfinn> "Some sort of curse." Muirfinn says, stumbling.
[04:17] <Kotono> "We'll see to you." He promises, "Come. None will suffer in Mother Ocean's holy domain."
[04:18] <Muirfinn> Right now, Muirfinn will follow the tortle anywhere he likes!
[04:20] <Kotono> You're guided inside. Inside to a bed floating atop the surface of water, in a blue domed room. "Peace," The tortle says, "I will call on benedictions to help you."
[04:24] * Muirfinn lies upon the bed.
[04:27] <Kotono> From there Muirfinn hears chanting. It doesn't last long, "There was a strange magic on you - one unknown to me. Fortunately, it is already fading."
[04:33] * Muirfinn palms his face, removing his spectacles and rubbing at his eyes.
[04:35] <Kotono> "It was strange," Going on, "It was," His voice is huffy, "Hungry. How a magic spell can be hungry I don't know, but it was hungry."
[04:38] * Muirfinn shakes his head. "I dont know what happened there."
[04:42] <Muirfinn> "I was targeted by some sory of scrying sensor in Elysium, and then the pain started."

Corwin

[20:10] <Kotono> "That's most unusual, but it's because everyone's so hungry. Everyone's hungry and ready for dinner."Crossing his arms over his chest, "Is that right?"
[20:12] <Muirfinn> "I...what?" Muirfinn looks up at the tortle, confused.
[20:14] <Kotono> "I said it was unusual," A hint of perterbed annoyance crosses his face, "It's time for you and me to eat, it's time for everyone to eat because everyone's hungry and ready for dinner."
[20:17] * Muirfinn stands, placing his spectacles back on his face and peering at the tortle with worry. "I'm not sure if I'm hearing you correctly. Allow me to repeat what I've heard. It's time for you and I to eat. It's time for everyone to eat because everyone's hungry and ready for dinner. Correct?"
[20:27] <Kotono> "Hm?" A querying look back, "It seems you're in some considerable distress. Worry not, we'll take care of you. Calm yourself," Gently reaching out and taking Muirfinn's shoulders, "Rest."
[20:30] * Muirfinn shakes his head. "I fear it's much worse than that. This is reminiscent of the vile wickedness of the Father. This corruption must be purged. It cannot wait."
[20:34] <Kotono> "You know of what ills you?" The tortle asks, "Tell me, how is it purged?"
[20:38] <Muirfinn> "I...I do not know." Muirfinn places his hand on his head, rubbing at the side. "I know that it is vile and insidious. If I am right, and the Father is involved, he will try to change me into one of his thralls. He is a demon lord, spawn of Demogorgon. A vile thing of cannibalism and horror. Even if it is not him, something is twisting the things I see and hear. Some sort hungry thing, and
[20:38] <Muirfinn> I have seen images of a fetus. With a large head and teeth."
[20:40] <Kotono> "I will confer. Rest now and worry not. Amen." Turning away, the tortle goes to leave.
[20:41] <Muirfinn> "Yeah. It's the Father." Muirfinn sighs. "Most definately."
[20:44] * Muirfinn holds up a hand. "Wait."
[20:47] <Kotono> The tortle waits on that, "Speak quickly."
[20:49] <Muirfinn> "Knowledge of the Father is corruptive. Beware should you choose to research him." Muirfinn warns. "That's all."
[20:53] <Kotono> "Understood," The tortle says, leaving. OOC: Going to do anything or just rest/wait here?
[20:54] <Muirfinn> OOC: I suppose I'll rest. Wait, where the hell is Vul'lath?"
[20:57] <Kotono> OOC: Good question, about to be resolved.
[20:57] <Kotono> After a few minutes of resting, Sage Vul'lath approaches. He comes from a door on the far side of the room, dour as always. The floor outside of the bed is solid, save for the water pool that surrounds the bed.
[20:59] <Muirfinn> "Ah, there you are Vul'lath. Sorry about this. I'm afraid it's not devils this time. I believe it is the work of the Father and his minions."
[21:03] <Kotono> "It is unavoidable," Sage Vul'lath says, "Once I have rested and overcome the strain on my body, another Wish will be sufficient to determine the proper course of action."
[21:06] * Muirfinn nods. "You have my thanks, friend."
[21:07] <Kotono> Vul'lath's reply is unremarkable - yet as Muirfinn lies there, a sharp pain lances through him. A hunger pang, so intense as to make his mouth water and vision blur.
[21:09] <Muirfinn> "Nrrg...I'm hungry!" Muirfinn says, rising. "We should eat."
[21:09] <Kotono> "No." Sage Vul'lath crosses his arms, "The Father is hunger. Sit back down."
[21:10] <Muirfinn> "I feel as though I have not eaten in days!"
[21:12] <Kotono> Vul'lath holds one slender, bony arm out. "Does this look good to you?"
[21:13] <Muirfinn> "Not particularily." Muirfinn deadpans. "I was thinking actual food. I skipped breakfast."
[21:14] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath reaches into his robe with a grunt, tossing a paper-wrapped ball to Muirfinn. "If you're hungry, you'll eat that."
[21:16] * Muirfinn unwraps the paper ball, peering inside.
[21:16] <Kotono> The smell is like old sweat mixed with pure nasal hate. A dull yellow cheese is inside, flecks of something brown-red within it.
[21:18] * Muirfinn looks from the cheese to the gith. "Could be worse." He peels the wrapper back and begins to eat.
[21:18] <Kotono> OOC: Make a fort save.
[21:20] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+34+6
[21:20] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+34+6 and gets 56." [1d20=16]
[21:29] <Kotono> The taste is utterly miserable, a sublime misery of horrid tastes and tongue violations. Muirfinn still manages to eat it, Sage Vul'lath's expression gong from a moment of amusement to disdain to surprise. Pursing his lips as Muirfinn eats, "That's Argolan cheese, the most vile food I've ever come across. I use it as a punishment for mistakes. How are you eating it?"
[21:33] <Muirfinn> "You should try our attempts at beer. They're worse." Muirfinn coughs, choking down the cheese. At last he downs the final piece. "That was by no means pleasant though. Eurgh."
[21:49] <Kotono> Cocking his head to the side in complete disbelief, "That cheese is maid from rancid gorgon milk, slime drippings from an ochre jelly and grated bull testicles. Your beer is worse than that?"
[21:49] <Kotono> *made
[21:50] <Muirfinn> "We are very bad at making beer." Muirfinn says with a straight face.
[21:52] <Kotono> "How...how do you make beer?" Sage Vul'lath asks, a distinct hint of dread in his voice.
[21:53] <Muirfinn> "We don't anymore. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?"
[21:54] <Kotono> "Yes." Sage Vul'lath sits down, meditating and putting it aside.

Corwin

[02:38] <Kotono> Time passes in peace. As it does...OOC: Make another will save.
[02:39] * Kobot (~dunefar@ip68-10-237-210.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #sonofdunes
[02:41] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32+6
[02:41] <Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+32+6 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{56}
[02:41] <Muirfinn> OOC: I SAVED
[02:41] <Muirfinn> OOC: MAYBE!
[02:42] <Kotono> The time passes. Muirfinn feels dazed a few times, but nothing comes of it. When Sage Vul'lath rises, "I'll attempt to free you now," he says, "Be prepared in case maladjusted effects or deleterious outcomes occur."
[02:42] * Muirfinn nods. "If a horrible black mass of writhing mouths comes out, feel free to kill it."
[02:44] <Kotono> "Understood." AT that Sage Vul'lath chants, this time in an unknown tongue. The words roil around him as a shining gemstone pentagram appears beneath his feat, as light bursts around the tortle!
[02:44] <Kotono> roll 1d20+19
[02:44] <Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+19 --> [ 1d20=14 ]{33}
[02:45] <Kotono> The sound of a wet pop echos around Muirfinn, as if an oozy sore has been crushed underfoot. Muirfinn feels indescriably better, as if an unknown burden has been removed from him.
[02:47] <Muirfinn> "Oh. Oh yes, that's MUCH better!" Muirfinn says, rising and stretching his limbs. "Ugh, I feel as though I have been bathed in filth and it is only now beginning to rinse away. Perhaps this is how Ithea felt when she was attacked by the book."
[02:53] <Kotono> "It is done," Sage Vul'lath exhales through his nose, "Good. I had hoped to deal with it ourselves. The fact that such a creature could strike in this realm is troubling. Still, the fragments of the Valgadda Codex did suggestion a possible anti-divine bend to the Father."
[02:57] <Muirfinn> "Which puts me at a disadvantage against him." Muirfinn shakes his head. "I fear that if we ever confront him, we will need Sylvie at our sides."
[02:57] <Muirfinn> "Enough melancholy for now, though. It is time to petition the Mother Ocean for aid."
[02:58] <Kotono> "With this, we can no longer afford to dally," Sage Vul'lath says, "When this is done, let us put our current tasks aside and take up a search for more information of the Father. There may be an undamaged copy of the Valgadda Codex to be found."
[03:00] * Muirfinn nods. "It burns at me, in my heart, that such a creature remains unchecked across the planes. Such vileness, I can hardly bear the thought of it." Muirfinn shivers as he strides out of the room, adjusting robes.
[03:02] <Kotono> OOC: What's your plan here? Petition Mother Ocean for insight how precisely?
[03:03] <Muirfinn> OOC: Pray in the temple, see if I ca get guidance from there.
[03:14] <Kotono> Muirfinn goes and prays. At first it is merely soothing, restful and serene. A respite from his struggles, bringing silent relief. In time his mind begins to float. In this knowledge comes to him, silent as the stirring currents of the ocean. The magic he seeks is doubtless beyond the ninth circle; mortal magic must be mastered first. With that comes a single name: Vaaliel.
[03:15] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22 K:R who in the nine hells is that?
[03:15] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 K:R who in the nine hells is that? and gets 23." [1d20=1]
[03:15] <Muirfinn> OOC: :(
[03:16] <Kotono> Name doesn't ring a bell to Muirfinn.
[03:20] * Muirfinn gives prayer and thanks to the Mother Ocean before rising to seek out this Vaaliel.
[03:23] <Kotono> OOC: How exactly do you plan ot search for him?
[03:26] <Muirfinn> OOC: Maybe Morniel knows him? Their names rhyme.
[03:26] <Kotono> OOC: Okay. I'll move you along.
[03:27] <Kotono> roll 1d20+34
[03:27] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+34 and gets 53." [1d20=19]
[03:29] <Kotono> You meet with Morniel at the meeting room. Elena is dressed up all as a maid, whistling as she lays out snacks and drinks. After a moment to to take a sip of his drink, "You seek knowledge of Vaaliel? That's a decidely obscure bit of angelic legend."
[03:30] <Muirfinn> "The Mother Ocean directed me toward him." Muirfinn says. "Perhaps he is real."
[03:34] <Kotono> "He is. Or she." Morniel pauses, I know little of Vaaliel." Swishing iced water in its glass as he speaks, "I believe Vaaliel is a holy hermit, living in seclusion to better ponder mysteries beyond the ken of beings such as us. He may be an archangel of Elysium, as their ilk are rarely known of and rarer to encounter. That Mother Ocean said his name suggests his studies may have to deal
[03:34] <Kotono> with the soul."
[03:35] <Muirfinn> "I am hoping so. If we can find Vaaliel, perhaps he or she can assist us in our current endeavor." Muirfinn says.
[03:36] <Kotono> "I am more familiar with Celestia while Galariel knows Elysium. Should Galariel fail," Morniel is cut off by Elena, who stomps her foot andb lushes red, "Galariel won't fail!"
[03:36] <Muirfinn> "...should Galariel not know?" Muirfinn ventures.
[03:36] <Kotono> "Ahem," Coughing into his hand, "A poor choice of words. If Galariel has not learned of Vaaliel in his life, then perhaps consultation with Makaril would be productive."
[03:37] <Muirfinn> "I will go and speak with Galariel then." Muirfinn says, bowing to Morniel. "You have my thanks for this information."
[03:38] <Kotono> "It is not that," Morniel continues, "High angels, especially those of Elysium, rarely are known to mortal or even immortal ken. Celestial's leaders are well known and Arborea has three strong leaders, but even the most powerful beneath them are obscure. Celestials are forbidden from seeking worship and that is one aspect of why."
[03:38] <Muirfinn> "Ah." Muirfinn says. "That makes sense."
[03:41] <Kotono> From there, going to see Galariel is simple. Elena comes with you, Galariel within the nerve center of Aurora. "Hi!" Elena waves, "Muirfinn has an angel question, Galariel!"
[03:45] <Muirfinn> "Yes, quite. I have been directed to speak with Vaaliel. Do you know anything of this angel?" Muirfinn asks.
[03:46] <Kotono> "I have heard of the name, but little else," Galariel replies, "I would recommend divinations to see if they bear fruit, and if not consulting with others."
[03:49] * Muirfinn nods. "I was afraid of that. Thank you for your assistance."
[03:49] <Muirfinn> With that, Muirfinn strolls off. Time to see if Priest can drum up a divination. Could work.
[03:51] <Kotono> Priest is found with Elder Magi Tepen. Priest, Hanna and Balyss are having a quiet conversation together around Tepen's bed.
[03:53] <Muirfinn> Approaching quietly, Muirfinn asks, "How is he?"
[03:53] <Kotono> Hanna turns her gaze to Muirfinn, "He's been stirring more. The signs are good but it's not over yet."
[03:54] <Kotono> "I think he's going to be okay," Balyss says, "The auguries are turning positive."
[03:55] <Kotono> "It's still far premature to declare victory," Priest says quietly, leaning over to murmur a few words of prayer and anoint Tepen's forehead. "A war is not won until the last soldier has surrendered."
[03:55] * Muirfinn nods. "Vul'lath and I are working on something, but I don't know if it will be ready in time, or if it will even work. Tell me, do any of you know anything of an Elysian angel named Valliel?"
[03:55] <Kotono> roll 1d20+28
[03:55] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+28 and gets 35." [1d20=7]
[03:56] <Kotono> roll 1d20+29
[03:56] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+29 and gets 30." [1d20=1]
[03:56] <Kotono> OOC: Priest takes 10.
[03:57] <Kotono> After moments and a few glances amid each other, you get a reply of shaken heads and Balyss saying, "Haven't heard of him. Hm. If Sylvie's up, get her to go trawl the library. She's good at that."
[03:58] * Muirfinn nods. "I will. If any of you come across anything on Vaaliel, let me know. Or holy soul magic." OOC: Off to find Sylvie!
[03:58] <Kotono> "She spent long enough here to fall asleep," Hanna says, "If she's not set on coming right back, a distraction may help her. She's..." Hanna half frowns, "Entirely underfoot. We all are since we can't do anything to help Tepen, but she's anxious and ruining any sense of peace here."
[04:00] * Muirfinn nods.
[04:02] <Muirfinn> "I'll see if I can occupy her."
[04:04] <Kotono> This takes Muirfinn on yet another step of his unannounced grand tour - to Sylvie's room. A knock on her door gets a call of, "Who is it?" Sylvie's voice, alright.
[04:05] <Muirfinn> "It's just me. I'm doing a research project. It could help Tepen and Adrian. I thought you might like to help, and we could use another head." Muirfinn says.
[04:09] <Kotono> "Hold on," Sylvie says. There's a few moments before the door opens. Sylvie is clad in a soft and demure pink dress and shoes, hair flowing free and brushed smooth. Her face is made up and her lips are pink as well. She smiles as Muirfinn comes in, the scent of strawberries clinging lightly to her. "What project are you working on?"
[04:11] * Muirfinn smiles widely. "Soul magic!"
[04:13] * Muirfinn blinks and pulls back. "And why are you wearing a glamour to darken your skin?"
[04:15] <Kotono> "Ooooh." Sylvie closes the door behind Muirfinn, before blinking. "You have it the wrong way around. I'm using magic to change my skin tone - I have a tan from a trip out from a beach party Ithea and a few of us had. I don't like how a tan and rose pink go together."
[04:17] <Muirfinn> "So why not wear something else?" Muirfinn leans on the door frame, confused.
[04:18] <Kotono> "Muirfinn." Sylvie holds up a hand, "First of all, never say that to a woman. It can be construed poorly. Second of all," With a momentarily wicked smile, "We used magic to dress Dana up like a pretty pink princess. Hanna was subtly suggesting I don't come right back, so I thought I'd see how I pull off the look."
[04:22] * Muirfinn snorts. "Yes, well, I'm still trying to ascertain the precise purpose of clothing. At first I though it was to keep warm, since many mammal races seem particularily vulnerable to the cold. Then it was armor. Then for looks. Now it's for humiliation. Why can't you all just pick one purpose for it and settle down?"
[04:25] <Kotono> "Apperance matters," Sylvie shakes her head with a light, airy sigh. "Ironically, it was putting clothes onto her that was humiliating. Normally it's the other way around. But. Soul magic?"
[04:30] <Muirfinn> "Yes, soul magic. Vul'lath and I were talking, and I think we might be onto something. We've visited Antenora already and the Mother Ocean. Our basic plan is to devise a method of repairing a mortal soul tainted by evil while at the same time protecting it so that it does not fracture under the stress. Our current lead is on an Elysian archangel names Vaaliel. Heard anything before?"
[04:32] <Kotono> roll 1d20+44+19 (cunning insight)
[04:32] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44+19 (cunning insight) and gets 69." [1d20=6]
[04:35] <Kotono> Sitting serenely and looking out her window instead of answering, "Vaaliel. Mmm, yes, I've read about him. He has a residence somewhere in Belierin according to one source I read. I don't know if it's a reliable source, so I'd get corraboration before starting to explore that swamp.
[04:35] <Kotono> "
[04:36] * Muirfinn perks up. "Swamp?"
[04:37] <Kotono> "Belierin is the third layer of Elysium. It's one huge swamp. As I recall, legends say that evil creatures are often seen battling the angels there and that some sort of great evil or evils are imprisoned there. I've read enough reliable sources to suggest it's true, or that someone's gone to a lot of trouble to make people believe that."
[04:41] <Muirfinn> "Hmmm...Interesting. Got a theory on what's trapped there?"
[04:43] <Kotono> "I have several, but none of them have anything serious to support them," Sylvie imperiously smiles, "I've heard claims ranging far and wide, but never anything beyond weak circumstancial evidence or towers of wobbling speculation. If there's something there, it's one of the big mysteries as to what it is."
[04:44] * Muirfinn nods. "Want to go explore it, then?"
[04:45] <Kotono> "That why," A casual pause before she continues, "That I made a point to raise the notion that it may be a ruse. It may be celestial trap or-hm. I would, but can we wait? The signs are starting to point to Tepen coming out of his coma. I'd like to be here for that." Coughing into her hand, "I already ran off once on a vacation for Ithea's sake. I'd rather not do that again."
[04:46] <Muirfinn> "Tepen's not the only one suffering." Muirfinn casually points out.
[04:51] <Kotono> "I know." Sylvie says, "If you can't wait, go without me. This is important to me." Sylvie turns to look Murifinn in the eye, "Isn't that enough reason to do it?"
[04:54] <Muirfinn> Understanding dawns on Muirfinn's face as he smiles. "Ahhh, I see. Very well then. I understand."
[04:55] <Kotono> Sylvie starts to speak, but pauses. Instead she asks, "What do you think I mean by that?"
[04:56] <Muirfinn> "I believe Dana should field this one." Muirfinn says. "Do you know where I might find her?"
[04:58] <Kotono> "No, she's not fielding anything yet. I don't have a romantic interest in him, if that's what you're thinking." Shaking her head, "I'd rather not have a rumor about that get started. A friend has a bit of interest in him, and I don't want any misunderstandings."
[05:02] <Muirfinn> "Then let your friend care for him. If his condition is improving anyway, now is a good time for her to be there. Come on! We have age-old notions to shatter and the power of dieties to mock!" Muirfinn says with great fanfare and waving of arms. "The gods themselves have difficulty accomplishing the task we have set before ourselves! It will be monumentally difficult! Think of the people
[05:02] <Muirfinn> we could help! Think of the beliefs we'll change! We're trying to revolutionize the idea of healing and magic here! Doesn't that sound at least a bit exciting?"
[05:06] <Kotono> "Hm." Sylvie murmurs at that, "You're tempting, you really are. But why all the haste? Is waiting a day or two that intolerable to you?"
[05:06] <Muirfinn> "How's Adrian doing?" Muirfinn rebutts.
[05:08] <Kotono> "Good question. Elena!" Sylvie calls, "How's Adrian doing?"
[05:08] <Kotono> Elena appears, still dressed as a maid. "What-ooooh! What's the occasion? Do you have a date?" Elena inquires.
[05:09] <Muirfinn> "Elena." Muirfinn says levelly.
[05:09] <Kotono> "No, just playing dress-up," Sylvie waves a hand, brushing a wrinkle out of her skirt, "Do you think pink looks better on me than Dana?"
[05:09] <Kotono> "I...don't know," Elena says after a few moments, "She's always wearing her armor, but it looks good on you!" Turning to Muirfinn a moment, "Yes?"
[05:10] <Kotono> "Thank you," Sylvie beams at that, "Blonde hair and pink go together. I rarely wear it despite that it works well."
[05:10] <Muirfinn> "Adrian. Status." Muirfinn gives her a look that clearly says he does not care about clothes or fruits.
[05:12] <Kotono> "Aw." Elena pouts before going on, "He's doing better. He's been resting since the last outburst, but he says his wounds ache less. I've only been half listening to the clerics talking it over, but the sentiment is that he's managing to directly vent it off. At least right now and assuming the ache stays down. It could be temporary, they're working in a gray area."
[05:20] * Muirfinn nods. "Good that he is getting better. I was not sure if he could fight it off." He turns to Sylvie. "Auguries can be wrong, and divination can be cryptic. I am concerned that our leads will grow cold, and wish to strike while the iron is hot. If the outlook on Tepen falls, I do not want my time to have been wasted waiting an entire day, or even two."
[05:20] <Kotono> Sylvie frowns, before a slow, cat-like smile crosses her face. "Well, on one condition. It'll take a few hours but hardly an entire day."
[05:21] <Muirfinn> "Go, then. I have preparations to make anyway, and I must inform Vul'lath on this new information." Muirfinn says, ignoring her look.
[05:22] <Kotono> "Oh no. This involves you," Sylvie says sweetly, "In fact, you're the focus of it."
[05:22] * Muirfinn raises a scaly eyebrow. "Explain."
[05:23] <Kotono> "Muirfinn," With a bigger smile, "How do you think you'd look in pink?"
[05:24] <Muirfinn> "I wear some on my shell. Why?"
[05:25] <Kotono> "Oh, just considering dressing you up like a pretty pink princess," Sylvie says, "A little bit of magic and I'd have a dress that would fit you."
[05:26] <Kotono> Elena starts snickering into her hand, "That's terrible!" Then she visibly winces, "No really, the image is terrible!"
[05:28] <Muirfinn> "...you think I have not tried clothing before? I have attempted more than once to understand your obsession with it. It tends to pinch in the shell or rip on scales. That's if it's large enough to fit over the shell at all. It is ungainly and uncomfortable. I do not understand why you like it so much."
[05:30] * Muirfinn picks at his robe which doesn't actually cover anything. "This is simple. It splits over the shell, and hangs loosely. Quite comfortable and functional."
[05:31] <Kotono> "I think you're missing the point," Elena pipes up, "Completely missing the point."
[05:32] <Muirfinn> "We are wasting time. For brevity's sake, why not simply explain the point you are trying to make?"
[05:34] <Kotono> Sylvie starts to say something, but Muirfinn beats her to it. "On one hand, it's nice to sit there and be made pretty, fussed over and everything. On the other, it was mostly for my own petty amusement."
[05:43] <Muirfinn> "...define pretty." Muirfinn says before abruptly throwing his hands into the air. "Nevermind! Stay here! Just when I think I'm starting to understand you, you go and do something completely ridiculous! Nonsensical apes! People could be dying and you make malicious jokes! JOKES!" Muirfinn turns and walks away. "Bah!"
[05:45] <Kotono> "Of course it was ridiculous! That's why it was amusing!" Sylvie calls as Muirfinn goes, "Don't you have a sense of humor at all?"
[05:46] * Muirfinn is uninterested in talking to Sylvie right now! He heads back to the infirmary instead!

Corwin

[02:44] <Kotono> At the infirmary you find Priest and Balyss, the two chatting together quietly near Tepen's sleeping form.
[02:48] * Muirfinn steps up to the group. "My apologies, but you're on your own with Sylvie. She is incapable of seeing the gravity of the situation at the moment and has irritated me. Vul'lath and I will head to Elysium to carry out our work. If Tepen and Adrian recover while we are gone, please let us know. If not, hopefully we can return with some sort of spell that will aid them."
[02:52] <Kotono> Priest and Balyss exchange a look, before Balyss sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose. "What did she do now?"
[02:54] <Muirfinn> "She wanted to put me in clothes so I would look like a princess, I believe. She wanted me to wait anywhere from a few hours to a handful of days in order to wait and see if the auguries would come true." Muirfinn says flatly. "I was not amused."
[02:56] <Kotono> Balyss looks up, opens her mouth - and yet nothing comes out. She buries her face into her hands, a double facepalm. She inhales long and exhales out, "I..." Another facepalm, Balyss rubbing her face with her hands. "There must have been some miscommunication or misunderstanding. Still, make sure to get properly protected before you go out. If you need help, take someone along with you.
[02:56] <Kotono> I'll talk to Sylvie and let you know when you get back what the hell that was about."
[02:58] <Muirfinn> "No, she was very clear about dressing me in clothing and having faith in auguries, as well as waiting either a few hours or two days, depending on whether or not she will watch over Tepen."
[02:58] <Muirfinn> "Sometimes I forget that she is still a child." Muirfinn shakes his head.
[03:00] <Kotono> "She's..." Balyss begins, "You know what? I'm not going to say anything else until I've heard both sides of this." Getting up and going to the portal, "I'll be back soon."
[03:04] * Muirfinn shrugs.
[03:05] <Kotono> OOC: Going off now?
[03:06] <Muirfinn> OOC: Off to talk with Vul'lath. I'd like his opinion on waiting, given the recovery of the two.
[03:07] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath is in the library, resting quietly in a chair. Two acolytes are near him, a paused conversation as Muirfinn approaches. They bow and shuffle silently away, Sage Vul'lath turning his attention to Muirfinn.
[03:09] <Muirfinn> "I've learned quite a bit, and gone through some frustration." Muirfinn says, seating himself near Vul'lath. "Humans are a difficult species."
[03:09] <Kotono> "Short lived things of energetic passion," Sage Vul'lath says, "What have you learned?"
[03:14] <Muirfinn> "Well, the name Vaaliel turned up some information around here. Turns out he's a reclusive Elysian super-angel that hasn't been seen in such a long time that most people only consider him the stuff of legend. Morniel was able to tell me a great deal, but I gained the most when Priest directed me to Sylvie. She seems to think that Vaaliel is hiding out in a swampy layer of Elysium, researching
[03:14] <Muirfinn> soul magic." Muirfinn says. "I of course offered her the opportunity to join us on our trek, and she told me she wanted to wait two entire days. When I asked her why, she said that the auguries said that Tepen's condition was going to improve. I managed to talk her into joining us after some time, but only if she spent a few hours dressing me up as some sort of human princess."
[03:15] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath gives Muirfinn a dour and dry look, "A human princess? What manner of insanity is that?"
[03:16] * Muirfinn waves a hand in the air in frustration. "I have no idea! Something something nonsense about Dana, and suddenly she wants to play with dolls!"
[03:17] <Muirfinn> "I'm telling you, Vul'lath, just when I start to think I've got a handle on the complexity of human nature and behavior, they go and do something completely senseless and mad."
[03:19] <Kotono> "I once knew a human male who spoke on the subject of human women," Sage Vul'lath said, "He said much wisdom, which can be summarized to the following: Females are insane and capricious things."
[03:21] * Muirfinn grunts. "Sound advice."
[03:23] <Kotono> "Githyanki women are schemers and controllers, but entirely free of excess whimsy," Sage Vul'lath continues, "But no matter. To seek this angel or more information on the Father."
[03:28] * Muirfinn nods slowly, eyes gaining a far-off look. "Yes, that is the question. If the auguries can be trusted (hah) then our research into this spell can be postponed. I don't want to postpone it indefinitely, because we may encounter this corruption again. Better to have a cure for it, just in case it happens and the victim cannot fight it off. Pursuing the Father will no doubt be a dangerous,
[03:28] * Muirfinn dangerous task. Daunting. Likely fatal if we're lucky. Worse if we're not." He taps his beak.
[03:29] <Kotono> "On the other hand, the Father has ways and means of assailing us even in captivity." Sage Vul'lath says quietly, "We cannot afford to let that sit here forever."
[03:30] <Muirfinn> "Yes, yes. His uncursion into Elysium and from there affecting me in the Mother's realm is worrisome. Both are holy places."
[03:36] <Kotono> "Yes." Reaching into his robe and withdrawing a bit of paper, "I see the following options if we do. One, we can research Demogorgon and/or Pale Night. They are connected to the Father and researching them may turn up information on him. Two, we can look into contacting the Glasae Queen. The Valgadda Codex speaks of her and I believe you gathered information on her. Three, we can independently
[03:36] <Kotono> search for an uncorrupted copy of the Valgadda Codex. We know of several possible lore depositories that may be productive avenues of investigation. Of them, the Terminal Archive may be the most likely to bear fruit, as it is an Abyssal library. It is doubtless the most perilous, even if battles within are forbidden."
[03:52] <Muirfinn> "From what I have learned, reaching the Glasae Queen will be difficult and perilous. I do not believe we can contact her inderectly. We will have to enter her lands, and we will absolutely need a fae guide. The Terminal Archive is likely our best bet. Researching Demogorgon and Pale Night would be relatively simple though. They are both well-known. I'm not sure what knowledge we could glean
[03:52] <Muirfinn> there that we would not otherwise already have."
[03:54] <Kotono> "Agreed," Sage Vul'lath says after that, "Then are we decided?"
[03:56] <Muirfinn> "Sounds like we're headed for the Abyss. We need backup."
[03:58] <Kotono> "Unfortunately, Annalise was the expert on that matter. Jaela went with her, but she is occupied with matters in Elysium." Sage Vul'lath says, "But I know enough to suffice for now. We need those mighty in mind, knowledge and power."
[04:03] <Muirfinn> "Unfortunately, she was also an unholy sin against every decent god out there. If she had wanted to change, then perhaps things could have been different. As it was, she was a vampire, and she died. We will have to suffice without Jaela. We can always take Baleruk or something. I'm sure he'd like that."
[04:04] <Kotono> "Perhaps." Sage Vul'lath says, "Is that a serious idea?"
[04:06] <Muirfinn> "Only half-serious. He'd get himself a lot of attention, and I don't think he'd be willing to take a humanoid form for the sake of discretion."
[04:08] <Kotono> "Hmmmm." Sage Vul'lath ponders for a brief time, "Ellese may be worthwhile there," He finally says, "But taking her is its own gamble."
[04:12] <Muirfinn> "Hmm...yes, and most creatures of law here will find it exceptionally difficult to communicate there."