News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

054.7 Jaela

Started by Corwin, October 31, 2012, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[19:30] <Jaela> She seemed to have more of a success at the temple to the Triune, and that is where Jaela decides to meditate. She should be the one helping Adrian and Tepen get better, not standing helplessly on the sidelines as their condition deteriorates and hoping she's not next!
[19:35] <Kotono> Coming here, you find Mei and Rosa here. Mei is kneeling by the altar, while Rosa stands aside. She's clad in her full armor and standing over Mei.
[19:35] * Jaela approaches the altar, not intending to interfere.
[19:39] <Kotono> Rosa gives you a glance and a slight nod of acknowledgement but little else. As Jaela settles in...OOC: Make a concentration check.
[19:39] * Jaela returns it, trying to focus....
[19:42] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[19:42] <Kobot> Jaela rolled 1d20+25 --> [ 1d20=2 ]{27}
[19:43] <Kotono> Jaela falls into an easy meditation, her mind rested and her focus strong. OOC: Wis check.
[19:43] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[19:43] <Kobot> Jaela rolled 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{13}
[19:50] <Kotono> Jaela focuses. It's a long hard focusing as she drifts off. Images of atrocities and valor intermix, Jaela's mind lost in a war of self against other. It continues like this, a war without end. Only the dull aching of her wounds awakens her at last. While not as bad as it was before, it's still uncomfortable. Rosa is nearby, out of her armor and sitting before Jaela. Just in front of her is a
[19:50] <Kotono> tray with water and a bit of sliced apple and pear.
[19:51] <Jaela> "It's taking time," she says, thanking Rosa and pausing for a quick break to regain her mental strength.
[19:54] <Kotono> "I bring news as well," Rosa says, "Tepen has stirred more in the past day. Hanna and the others are showing cautious optimism."
[19:55] * Jaela nods slightly in acknowledgement, nibbling on the pear. "He really has the worst luck with these things," she muses.
[20:00] <Kotono> "Adrian's resting, but he says his wounds hurt less." Rosa continues, idly rubbing her shoulder as she speaks. "As Priest explained it, they believe his unique bloodline and dragonsblood is managing to directly purge the contamination out as dragons do. You can see the taxing toll is takes on him."
[20:03] <Jaela> "Yeah." Jaela places her hand over Rosa's, channeling healing energy into it. "Just tired? Or had a bit of rough sparring earlier?"
[20:04] <Kotono> "Mmm." Rosa goes on, still rubbing the shoulder, "It's not sore, but thanks. When I was an initiate, I did not have the luxury of magic to mend my wounds. My left shoulder ever ached after wearing armor, and rubbing it has become a habit even with the pain long since resolved."
[20:06] * Jaela winces. "Sounds like a pain."
[20:07] <Kotono> "When I was sorely wounded in battle, I was restored with a Heal spell. The ceased the aching," Lady Rosa says, "But the habit remains."
[20:10] <Jaela> "I had a habit myself, while training. I had to cut my hair short or I would get nagged at," Jaela confides in her, grinning. "But I outgrew that habit, you could say."
[20:13] <Kotono> "Ugh." Rosa's lips draw together as she frowns, a hand going up to her hair, "The seminary I studied at had acquired the habit of shorning the hair of its members. It did not greatly affect the male initiates, but all of the women hated it to the last."
[20:14] <Jaela> "It just forces you to get better if you have to compensate for it, I figure," Jaela says with a shrug. "Why not use that instead of conforming?"
[20:23] <Kotono> "Because the head of the seminary was more concerned with interpreting religious obscura and enacting it," Lady Rosa openly rolls her eyes, "A brilliant scholar and a poor leader."
[20:25] <Jaela> "Since we're talking about it, do you think we have any bad habits ourselves?"
[20:27] <Kotono> "I think Aurora's not religious enough," Rosa says after some consideration, "There's an informal agreement not to get into religious disagreements or poach the other flocks. It's for the war effort. But I suppose that's not truly against the orders I was given, even if it slows the spread of their glory."
[20:29] <Jaela> "Yeah, it would be bad to just start infighting over it. Why not look for ways to glorify the Triune's name? We have a nice temple here, so maybe expand the garded around it into something Misalea would be proud of tending for a start?"
[20:32] <Kotono> "Now that you mention it, Priest was discussing that before all this happened," Rosa says, "A fine idea. Did he mention it to you as well?"
[20:33] <Jaela> "Don't think so. Want to see what you could do about it? I'll try to get some funds for the purpose."
[20:36] <Kotono> "When the current crisis is over, I will," Lady Rosa says, "Perhaps I can raise funds from a few others and Mei will almost certainly be willing to help."
[20:40] <Jaela> "I don't doubt it!" Jaela agrees. Then, judging herself properly rested, steels herself. Once more into the breach, until she's herself once more!
[20:41] <Kotono> OOC: Concentration check.
[20:41] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[20:41] <Kobot> Jaela rolled 1d20+25 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{42}
[20:41] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[20:41] <Kobot> Jaela rolled 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{15}
[20:46] <Kotono> Again Jaela's well honed mind drifts into thoughtless focus, pushing aside the material world into a realm of thoughts. Again she is faced with the same tableau, battles against massacres, justice against horror. It again ends with her wounds dully aching, a sense of frusturation and futility. This time Lady Mei is there, sitting besides her and waiting.
[20:47] <Jaela> "Failure. Can't focus right."
[20:50] <Kotono> Mei reaches out and rubs Jaela's shoulder, her other hand bringing around a deep cup. It looks to be full of chicken soup, the smell making Jaela's stomach rumble.
[20:53] <Jaela> "Right. Food." Jaela accepts the food, grinning at Mei. "Sorry for making you sit there and watch me try and fail for hours."
[20:53] <Kotono> Mei smiles back and shakes her head.
[20:55] <Jaela> "Wish I knew what I was doing wrong. Ever since Mom sent me to bed, it's like I haven't been able to concentrate properly." She drinks the soup, mulling over it.
[20:58] <Kotono> To this Mei is merely there, reaching out and touching the holy symbol Jaela wears.
[21:00] * Jaela grins again. "That's the one thing I don't doubt."
[21:01] <Kotono> Smiling now and tapping the holy symbol, Mei goes to rest back.
[21:02] * Jaela places the cup by her side, and then clasps her silver holy symbol with both hands, trying once more!
[21:05] <Kotono> OOC: Concentration.
[21:07] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[21:07] <Kobot> Jaela rolled 1d20+25 --> [ 1d20=15 ]{40}
[21:07] <Kotono> OOC: Wis.
[21:08] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[21:08] <Kobot> Jaela rolled 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{15}
[21:11] <Kotono> Again it happens. The battle of self vs other, of good and evil. But when it ends Jaela's wounds do not feel any better. Instead, Hanna is there. She reaches out, drawing Jaela into a hug, "How was it?" she asks quietly.
[21:13] <Jaela> "I feel like I wasted a day." Jaela shrugs. "Was it a day?"
[21:13] <Kotono> "It's about. You've been at it 14 hours or so," Hanna says, and with a slight smile, "Want me to carry you to bed and tuck you in?"
[21:14] <Jaela> "No thanks." Jaela climbs to her feet with a groan. "Anything that needs me? Today, tomorrow?"
[21:18] <Kotono> "No. Tepen's holding b ut looking better. We're hoping he might wake up tomorrow. Adrian's still resting but reporting that he's better." Hanna says, "Mirajane's been busy with Finnegan, learning polearms from him. Incidentally, she's about impossible to surprise. Are you familiar with the spell Foresight? She has something like that all the time."
[21:18] <Jaela> "I have it too. Not all the time, though." Jaela nods to herself. "Anything that makes her harder to hit's good!"
[21:20] <Kotono> "She's still getting beaten around by Finnegan in pure martial combat," Hanna continues, "But she has potential and skill with magic."
[21:22] <Jaela> "Even I might get beaten by Finnegan in pure martial combat," Jaela says dismissively. "His focus is crazy. Mirajane should just supplement her skill the way I do, is all."
[21:28] <Kotono> "She's been working on it - though every time she tries to cast close to him, she gets a spear butt in her stomach," Hanna makes a show of wincing, "He's an absolute savant with a spear. I wouldn't want to face him - no amount of still concentration gets a spell past him."
[21:30] <Jaela> "That takes pretty crazy training," Jaela muses, starting to head outside. "But it can be beaten, too! Just cast your spells too quickly for him to do anything about it!"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[19:13] <Kotono> "Haven't tried that," Hanna says, "Would it work?"
[19:15] <Jaela> "Should." Jaela shrugs. "Mind, I bet there's some sort of style that stops that too. But I doubt Finnegan knows those."
[19:18] <Kotono> "Mm. Are you going to keep at it or get some rest?" Hanna asks then, "It's fairly late."
[19:20] <Jaela> "Rest, try again next morning. Hope nothing attacks, keep at it till I'm at a hundred percent."
[19:21] <Kotono> OOC: Okay, gonna rest and try again?
[19:22] <Jaela> OOC: Yes
[19:24] <Kotono> The next morning the temple of the Triune is busier once more. Mei and Priest are here, overseeing several worshipers. Mirima's there as well, tucked away in a corner and awaiting. Her eyes are on Jaela the moment she enters.
[19:25] * Jaela heads for Mirima as she spots her. "Ever feel like the world is conspiring against you?"
[19:27] <Kotono> "As a matter of fact, yes," Mirima says, "When you find pixies in your lover's bedroom." That gets a long, unpleased look, Mirima's arms crossed and posture tense.
[19:28] <Jaela> "You know how my private room has one of those portals instead of a door?" Jaela asks, rolling her eye. "Elena would tell you that only I or Mirajane can use it, but that's not actually true."
[19:28] * Jaela shakes her head in exasperation. "I think she does it on purpose."
[19:29] <Kotono> "I'll be having a talk with Miss Elena then," Mirima's voice is arch, "I think she does too. Fortunately, she was in your bedroom and not in the main room."
[19:32] <Jaela> "For what it's worth," Jaela says, "I think my life's steadying now. First, I kick Abigor's creepy shit out. Then, adventure! Anything you wanna go on?"
[19:34] <Kotono> "Oh yes. An adventure into..." Mirima leans in to whisper things. Things that are not suitable for a religious setting, or for public at all! With a faint blush to her cheeks, "Fortunately, we can do that within Aurora. Even in your bedroom if you don't want to be adventuresome."
[19:40] <Jaela> In that case, Jaela decides, it's definitely something she should do away from the Aurora, considering their resident voyeur. She wouldn't want Elena to blushingly gossip about it with someone, and she will, Jaela just knows it. "I hope a couple days are enough to be thorough about--" Jaela gestures towards the altar vaguely. "About this. Then I'll settle some things and pick you up?"
[19:42] <Kotono> "Deal." Mirima whispers, "I'll find somewhere we can go that's secured against scrying and devil tricks. Oh," And with a little purr in her voice, "Don't pack. I took the luxury of getting you some special clothes for a trip out."
[19:43] * Jaela draws Mirima into a kiss as she leans over to whisper to her. "Deal," she echoes afterwards.
[19:44] <Kotono> "Now get your things done," Mirima returns that kiss passionately, pressing Jaela back against the wall rather hard. It lasts too long to be decent, and when Mirima finally parts away, "Deal," she confirms, before letting go and trotting off.
[19:47] <Jaela> Properly motivated, Jaela approaches the altar to kneel before it. The Triune would likely approve, given her aspects. If being so very serious the other day didn't do much, perhaps this would work better in focusing herself against Abigor!
[19:48] <Kotono> OOC: Concentration check.
[19:49] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[19:49] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+25 and gets 27." [1d20=2]
[19:52] <Kotono> Thoughts of Mirima - her taste, her scent, her presence - make it hard to focus. But eventually Jaela does, able to push it aside and obtain focus. OOC: Wis.
[19:52] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[19:52] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+9 and gets 28." [1d20=19]
[19:57] <Kotono> This time Jaela's focus comes razor-keen. Her sense of self grows, images of the horrors lessening. The time passes quickly, Jaela awakening sweaty and panting. Yet despite the sudden exertion, her wounds ache less now. They feel overall better - still a dull pain, but it's much less than before. Near her is Priest, cleaning Jaela's brow with a cool, dry cloth.
[19:58] <Jaela> "I think I'm off to a good start," Jaela says, nodding to herself firmly. "I'll stick to it."
[19:58] <Jaela> Refreshing herself with a lesser restoration, she delves right back into her meditations.
[19:58] <Kotono> Priest barely has time to get in a word edgewise before Jaela begins again! OOC: Concentration.
[20:00] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25+9
[20:00] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+25+9 and gets 35." [1d20=1]
[20:00] <Jaela> OOC: Sorry, that was to be +25+15, so 41
[20:00] <Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[20:00] <Kotono> Despite her focus being bad Jaela throws the full might of her magic into it, slipping into focus! OOC: Wis.
[20:00] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[20:00] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+9 and gets 14." [1d20=5]
[20:02] <Kotono> Jaela's focus just doesn't quite coalesce. Despite her effort she is torn between battles of war and horror versus justice and righteousness. When she awakens from it, she finds Mirajane there. She holds a covered tray, the scent of meat and vegetables making Jaela fiercely hungry. "Here. You should refresh yourself before you try again."
[20:05] <Jaela> "Alright," she relents, recasting the spell expended earlier. With that taken care of, she reaches for Mirajane's tray. "I might as well, since I'll be going for it until something breaks. His remnants or my endurance."
[20:06] <Kotono> The tray is a steak, salad and water. It all smells wonderful to Jaela. "The truth is that I think you're close," Mirajane rises, "Eat and go back to focus. I'll come back for the tray later."
[20:09] <Jaela> "We can talk about your training with Finnegan then," Jaela promises, proceeding to give her food the attention it deserves. She can afford to wait and recover her strength, especially since she would be using lesser restorations to go without sleep.
[20:10] <Kotono> OOC: Okay, go ahead and make concentration again.
[20:12] <Jaela> roll 1d20+40
[20:12] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+40 and gets 55." [1d20=15]
[20:12] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[20:12] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+9 and gets 12." [1d20=3]
[20:13] <Kotono> Again Jaela focuses. She focuses long and she focuses hard - but it all becomes a trapped throb of atrocities. Jaela becomes lost in them - coming to awareness as she clutches her stomach, a wave of bittter nasuea making her dinner rumble in her stomach and acid spraying up into her throat.
[20:15] * Jaela falls back, holding herself up on her elbows.
[20:16] <Kotono> As Jaela recoils, throat burning and stomach heaving, the Temple is empty. Save for Elena, who appears next to her. "Are you alright? There's good news!"
[20:17] * Jaela gives Elena a truly fierce look.
[20:18] <Kotono> "It's Tepen!" Holding her hands up and scooting back, "He's awake!"
[20:20] * Jaela slowly weighs her options. Welcoming Tepen back, however, wins out over her own needs. "I see." She struggles back to her feet, and rinses out her mouth with summoned water as she heads outside. "I'll be right there."

Corwin

[20:09] <Kotono> A day or two passes in rest as Jaela meditates. One early evening Elena appears in Afina's room as she enjoys a tad of downtime, "Afina!" she calls.
[20:10] <Afina> "Elena!" Afina calls right back.
[20:12] <Kotono> "Tepen has awoken," Elena says, "He's in the infirmary if you want to see."
[20:13] <Afina> "Oh, that's great news!" Afina smiles, and since he was never struck he hopefully won't be plagued by phantom injuries like Jaela and Adrian. "Yes, I'll go there now, thank you for letting me know."
[20:14] <Kotono> Afina thus goes to the infirmary. There are several people there - Hanna, Balyss, Priest, Sylvie, Stille, Adrian, Misaela, Mirima and even Sage Vul'lath. Tepen rests on his bed, drinking from a bowl of soup.
[20:16] * Afina flutters up between Hanna and Balyss. "Hello, Tepen," she waves gently. "It's good to see you up again. How're you feeling?"
[20:17] <Kotono> "Poorly," He admits it after gulping down more soup. Hanna quickly clears her throat, "Wait on the questions. Jaela should be here in a moment and there may be one or two more. I'd rather not tire out Tepen with the same set of questions over and over.
[20:17] <Kotono> "
[20:19] * Afina nods and flutters in place quietly... looking at others and then at nothing at all as she passes by the silent waiting.
[20:20] <Afina> "Has anyone told Ellesse?" she whispers quietly to Hanna after a few moments.
[20:22] <Kotono> Hanna peels away and takes Afina with her. Quietly answering away from the others, "She had a bad day," Hanna explains, "She's been asleep the last few hours and it looks like she'll sleep the night through. Better to let her rest."
[20:24] <Afina> "Have you been looking after her while Tepen's been ill?" Afina asks quietly in a tone of approval.
[20:26] <Kotono> "We've been rotating," Hanna explains, glancing over as Jaela emerges from the portal. "Hold on, we'll talk about this later." Turning to her and speaking in a normal tone, "Jaela. How's the meditation going?"
[20:26] * Jaela gives her the same dark look Elena had gotten earlier. "Lunch," she forces herself to say through gritted teeth, "was a bad idea."
[20:27] <Afina> "Keep it up, you'll beat it!" Afina encourages Jaela brightly.
[20:28] <Jaela> "Maybe," Jaela allows. "After a certain point, the atrocities are nothing new."
[20:28] <Kotono> "Smile," Hanna adds with completely sincerity. Then under her breath to Jaela, "Don't bring that mood here. Let's go see Tepen instead."
[20:30] * Jaela salutes her mother. Smiling might be pushing it right now, however.
[20:33] <Kotono> As everyone comes together, Balyss goes on, "We're all here?" she asks, before nodding briefly. "Can you tell us how you feel and what you remember?"
[20:35] <Kotono> "I'm exhausted," Tepen says, "As I cast all the spells I have, ran a marathon and then indulged in a gala until dawn. I don't remember much. Images, fading sensations., dream like phantasms. What little I remember is disturbing, in the way nightmares are disturbing."
[20:36] <Kotono> Sylvie exhales deeply and smiles, while Stille says, "Well done and good show. I daresay it may be for the best that you don't remember."
[20:36] <Afina> "Someone has told you we killed him, right?" Afina asks to make sure Tepen knows the scum is dead and gone forever.
[20:36] <Jaela> "Do you remember us winning, old man?" Jaela asks at the same time, waving at him.
[20:39] <Kotono> "I was told. I don't remember the battle well," Tepen says, "I remember Auril. I can't forget her, no matter how I try." With a wry smile, "But the battle is a blur. I'm told I'm lucky to have recovered - and I know I am, based on what I've gleaned about my condition."
[20:40] <Jaela> "You always did have the strangest luck."
[20:40] <Kotono> "You made it," Adrian adds, "Lucky enough." Standing up and clasping Tepen's shoulder, "Rest up now. I think Tymora loves and hates you in a very special way."
[20:40] <Kotono> "No, Beshaba loves him as much as Tymora," Sage Vul'lath drawls, "The plaything of the fortunes."
[20:41] * Jaela nods at Vul'lath, who took the words right out of her mouth.
[20:44] <Kotono> "Thank you all," Tepen says, "For well wishes. But I'd like to rest now, I can barely keep my eyes open."
[20:45] <Afina> "Take it easy, then. You've earned it," Afina gives her good wishes and then flutters out.
[20:46] * Jaela hopes Tepen has a nice, dreamless rest as she gives him a parting wave and leaves.

Corwin

[20:50] <Kotono> Returning to the temple of the Triune is without incident. OOC: Go ahead adn set yourself up then roll concentration.
[20:52] * Jaela has by now resorted to keeping her mind focused and suitably refreshed with magic. She can do little else, however, but to try and fight the horrors as relentlessly as they attack her. She is so diametrically opposed to everything that made Abigor that it can end in no other way.
[20:52] <Jaela> roll 1d20+40
[20:52] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+40 and gets 47." [1d20=7]
[20:53] <Kotono> Again Jaela finds proper contemplation and focus, despite the effort expended by her mind. OOC: Wis.
[20:53] <Jaela> roll 1d20+9
[20:53] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+9 and gets 20." [1d20=11]
[20:55] <Kotono> Focus. Hard, iron focus leads Jaela to the warfield of her mind. Again she comes into focus - and slowly, her sense of self expands out. She is not these horrors! She is better than it! The voice - her own voice from within - rails against them! Her breath comes quicker, her body shakes as...OOC: Make a cha check.
[20:56] <Jaela> roll 1d20+13
[20:56] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+13 and gets 29." [1d20=16]
[20:57] <Kotono> Agony. An agony that flares up around Jaela! She is aware of floating up, reality returning! There is a terrible moment of tension before she collapses onto the floor. She is utterly exhausted, barely awake and fading fast. Yet the pain of her wounds is gone. Only the sensation of warm hands on her remains. Warmth, lifting her up from the ground.
[20:58] * Jaela thanks the Triune for her support in her mind, closing her eye. She's not going anywhere, and she has no reason to stay awake any longer.
[21:00] <Kotono> Sleep comes. As it does Jaela can hear a voice - her hearing is too blurry and too sleepy to understand, but it's a warm voice that soothes her to sleep. When Jaela's senses recover from exhaustion, she finds herself lying in her bed. She's warm under her blankets, comfortable as can be.
[21:03] * Jaela thinks she earned some rest, and decides to sleep in for a change. How long has it been since she last allowed it for herself? Someone will eventually come for her, she reasons sleepily, so it's only for a little while.