News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

054.8 Afina

Started by Corwin, October 31, 2012, 05:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[19:32] <Kotono> Thereafter Afina heads to Queen Ilsenine's court. She is sitting alone on her throne, deep in contemplation. As Afina approaches she breaks it, turning her attention to her.
[19:33] <Afina> "Adrian's situation is somewhat more stable now, Majesty," Afina supplies uninvited as she kneels before the throne.
[19:36] <Kotono> "What of his state? Has there been improvement or only stability?"
[19:38] <Afina> "It's too early to speak of improvement. I have a plan for if his condition worsens again, but for now he intends to see it through on willpower alone. Jaela also has a plan of her own if things worsen, so things shouldn't reach a crisis again."
[19:41] <Kotono> "Good." Her Majesty agrees, a brief lull in the conversation. "What did you think of Lathander, Afina?"
[19:44] <Afina> "The first three terms that come to mind?" Afina asks, having already decided it's the easiest way to summarise, "Well-intentioned, flighty, and libidinous. I don't doubt there's hidden depths considering his stature, and his power isn't in question. But that's the face he presents. Arrogant, too."
[19:47] <Kotono> Ilsenine nods to that, silent for a few moments. "Did you find him charismatic as well?"
[19:50] <Afina> "Yes," Afina can't dispute that, "Even despite my less than complimentary appraisal, he's still someone that can grab and hold your attention."
[19:53] <Kotono> "He struck me as a youth on the cusp of adulthood, full of energy and the passions that grip the young - including the conviction and arrogance that inexperience brings." Queen Ilsenine, "I am not seriously considering his offer," she continues, "But I cannot deny in his presence that I was not tempted. Were you?"
[19:55] * Afina shakes her head. "Servitude is my bread and butter, but I balk at the worship gods and goddesses expect from their followers."
[19:57] <Kotono> Queen Ilsenine smiles slightly at that, "Well spoken, Afina."
[20:00] <Afina> "Still..." Afina follows uncomfortably, "What shall we do if Queen Titania decides it no matter to toss us his way?"
[20:02] <Kotono> Here Ilsenine goes quiet and still. This stretches into an uncomfortable silence, at last broken, "I doubt it with full conviction." Queen Ilsenine finally says, "What damning news would it be for her to toss us away to him? But even if it does come to pass, we will be strong and free. We are not divine minions to be commanded and traded like coin."
[20:03] <Afina> "That puts my mind at ease," Afina's head sags in relief. "Thank you, my Queen. Will there be anything else?"
[20:06] <Kotono> "Yes," Queen Ilsenine says, "Come before my throne and kneel."
[20:07] <Afina> Standing up, Afina walks forward until she's within touching distance of the other fairy and then kneels again.
[20:10] <Kotono> "You helped defeat the evil that lead to the enslavement of our world," Queen Ilsenine says, drawing a dagger from her back. "This cannot pass without reward."
[20:11] * Afina remains silent and kneeling, to accept whatever reward Ilsenine bestows.
[20:22] <Kotono> The dagger is tapped on each of Afina's shoulders, then Queen Ilsenine leans in. She bestows a kiss on Afina's forehead, the scent of the high summer forest coming over her. It takes her back to better days, memory momentarily alive and vital. "I give you the name Devilsbane and the rank of Baron. Afina, I am proud of you and your service."
[20:26] <Afina> Oh! Feeling her eyes moisten as a particularly warm feeling forms inside of her over and above the usual fieryness, Afina looks up at her Queen with a brilliant smile. "Thank you, Majesty. I'll do you honour with it," she promises.
[20:30] <Kotono> "You will." Queen Ilsenine agrees, "Afina the entertainer died in the fires of Lifasa," she says, sitting back, "She gave birth to Afina the champion, the general and the wondrous blacksmith. You have given everything to ensure this court survives...that I survive." The last comes with a softening of Ilsenine's regal features, "You will be rewarded when Lifasa is ours once more. I promise
[20:30] <Kotono> you that."
[20:32] <Afina> "It will be ours for the taking," Afina says with confidence, no matter that there's the little matter of the massive devil occupation force there. "What additional responsibilities shall I bear as your baroness, my Queen?"
[20:34] <Kotono> "For now there are none." Queen Ilsenine says, "For there is no land for you to watch over or house to manage. When we restore Lifasa, you will be given a manor and domain and a place in my court. You will be a matron - and in time expected to become the matron of a fey house of your own."
[20:35] <Afina> That's fair. Standing up now, "Then I will continue to serve as I do with pride until that day."
[20:38] <Kotono> "Go now," Queen Ilsenine says, "Decide on how your full name and title will be for court."
[20:39] <Afina> She almost winces there. Considering how indecisive and wishy-washy she's been about her name ever since Lifasa fell... well, maybe this one will stick? Bowing, Afina sees herself out. Maybe she can find Crystal for some advice on living up to her new title?
[20:41] <Kotono> Crystal's not hard to find after a quick Elena query. She's in the baths according to Elena.
[20:41] <Afina> A nice hot steamy bath sounds just the trick to her, so that's where she'll go!
[20:42] <Kotono> In the path you find two. Crystal is there with Kascha. The latter is tanned and giving Crystal a back rub. Crystal is as large as Kascha, resting chest first against the edge of the bath. Her wings occasionally flutter and twitch as Kascha works, eyes closed and head resting atop her arms.
[20:44] * Afina blinks as she slips herself into the bath nearby. "You got big," she states intelligently. It's rather freaky, really, to see someone with such familiarity rendered in strange ungainly and exaggerated proportions.
[20:45] <Kotono> "Mmm." Crystal answers eloquently, a little yip of bliss as Kascha rubs her back. The tanned eladrin turns to her, "It's magic. Long story short, she was soaking off a hard practice and I offered to give her a backrub."
[20:47] <Afina> "I know the magic, I could probably do the same. Just looks odd," she comments, swimming through the bath until she's next to the duo. "What happened to your skin?" she then asks, poking Kascha under her arm. "You nearly look like I did as a half-fire elemental."
[20:49] <Kotono> "Mmmm." Crystal virtually purrs as Kascha works, wings twitching on occasion. Kascha answers as she works, "Oh, I was invited to a celebration with Ithea, Sylvie, Dana and Ebony. We went to a beach in Brightwater. Did you know they even sell and rent private beaches there that are warded against scrying and divinations? I got this tan sunbathing."
[20:51] <Afina> "Oh, yes. Elena mentioned something about that," Afina nods. Since she's not likely to get much out of Crystal in this state, she elects to just relax herself for a bit in the nice hot water.
[20:55] <Kotono> "I wish you'd been able to come," Kascha says as she works, "It was fun from what I can remember. Dana's idea of a game involving chugging entire bottles of strong alcohol was a bit much, though."
[20:56] <Afina> "Ahh, it's probably for the best, then," Afina says with cheeks tinging red. Still, it could've been nice...
[20:59] <Kotono> Kascha glances over, smiling, "If you want to go celebrate, I'll make sure you're invited next time."
[21:01] <Afina> "Thanks. Next time we have a reason to, anyway," Afina nods, ducking her head under the water before bobbinb back up.
[21:06] <Kotono> By this time Kascha rests next to Crystal, as Crystal slowly turns over. Her entire body is bigger in perfect proportion, "Mmmmm," she sighs in contentment, "Ah Afina. How was your trip with Her Majesty?"
[21:08] <Afina> "Lathander said he'd ask Queen Titania if he could have us," Afina says with a little pout, "When we got back we both agreed that wouldn't happen no matter what. Then she made me a baroness styled as Devilsbane. That's actually why I was looking for you."
[21:10] <Kotono> "She did?!" Crystal sits up, a smile breakign through a look of surprise, "Oh Afina, congratulations!"
[21:11] <Afina> "Thanks," Afina smiles shyly, "I won't have any real responsibilities till we retake Lifasa, but she did tell me to decide on my full name and title and I didn't really have any ideas."
[21:12] <Kotono> "Hm." Crossing her arms, "So Baroness Devilsbane? Baroness Afina Petalwisp Devilsbane is what you're thinking of?" Crystal asks.
[21:15] <Afina> "I have no idea," Afina admits helplessly. "After Lifasa fell I went all over the place with changing my name, but that's just whimsy. If it's a noble title it should be more long-lasting, shouldn't it? And mean something?"
[21:19] <Kotono> "Go with Baroness Devilsbane for your official title," Crystal says, "I can't think of anything else that summarizes your deeds as well as that, and it will be long lasting. For your full name?" Crystal flips a bit of water towards Afina, "Choose what you like."
[21:20] <Afina> "Is it okay to hold back on that until later?" she asks hopefully, scrunching up her face slightly at the splashing, "Something with rainbows might be nice if I manage to become prismatic."
[21:21] <Kotono> "You can probably get away with it," Crystal says, "As long as you don't go to a full court or anything serious."
[21:22] <Kotono> Kascha rests back in the meanwhile, idly listening to the conversation.
[21:22] <Afina> "I'll do that, then. I mean, I could make up such a name now, but I'd rather save it for when I've accomplished something," she nods, resolved on the matter. "Speaking of, Kascha, I'm planning on trying to take earth into myself fairly soon. Any ideas on that?"
[21:25] <Kotono> "Talk to Lady Sanzha before it," Kascha says, "She mentioned to me that she'd be looking into it. I haven't had the time to study it myself."
[21:26] * Afina nods. "Going to Elysium to try and get Goldenfire next, but after that hopefully I can put some focus towards it."
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[19:16] <Kotono> "Goldenfire?" Crystal asks, "Sounds like something Simmer would be interested in."
[19:18] <Afina> "Remember those first embers we heard about in Celestia?" Afina prods Simmer's memory. Clearly that bigger head and brain isn't good for her memory. "And yes, we have to go to the sun and fight guardians there, so I'm planning on taking Simmer and Arrel for that."
[19:19] <Kotono> "Oh, of course." Crystal says after a moment, "Going to the sun? The actual sun?"
[19:20] <Afina> "Well whatever facsmilie exists in Lathander's realm," she shrugs, "I'm sure it'll be very bright and hot."
[19:21] <Kotono> "Oh!" Kascha perks up, "Can I come as well? Imagine the chance to study the sun! I couldn't pass that up!"
[19:23] <Afina> "Of course," Afina smiles up at Kascha, "Don't forget the elemental transformation spell, though. Prepare doubles in case you get dispelled like happened to me in Magmasoul, though."
[19:24] <Kotono> "Oh yes," Kascha says, "You have your sword as well, should that fail."
[19:29] <Afina> "Jaela's already called that, sorry," Afina apologises sincerely, sinking a bit further until her mouth is just barely above the waterline. "I can limited wish you protection from energy if you're dispelled so you'll have time to recast it or teleport away?"
[19:29] <Kotono> "That was the strangest thing," Crystal speaks up, "It defies my senses when I recall being under fire's sway."
[19:30] <Kotono> "Thanks," Kascha says, "I hope it doesn't come to that! I'm happy with a tan, but nothing more than that."
[19:31] <Afina> "No, burning isn't pleasant no matter what Simmer says," Afina shakes her head. Looking up at Crystal now she goes on, "It twists your perceptions, doesn't it?"
[19:35] <Kotono> "When it was done, I got a candle and kept grasping the flame. I expected it not to burn and I wanted it not to burn," she says, looking up, "It burned. The compulsion soon left, but I remember how different my thoughts were."
[19:37] <Afina> "Over time you learn to put it out of mind... if you want to. I think most prefer to embrace it, it's only my unusual goals with the elements that kept me from adopting Simmer's mindset," Afina opines, bobbing up in the water, now. "I'm lucky that since I became partially water elemental as well that any love for hot steamy baths isn't that big a change from my original feelings."
[19:40] <Kotono> "I spent some time after talking to Simmer about it. I didn't understand how differently she thinks." Crystal continues, voice relaxed as she lounges in the steamy bath. "Fire is the focus point of everything to her. Her entire world is defined by fire first and foremost. What seems alien or strange to us is perfectly natural. In some small way I understand that now."
[19:43] <Afina> "It's her everything," Afina nods. "In some ways I feel a bit bad I couldn't follow her lead. She was so nice to me when I'd lost my memories, and she's come here to help us expecting nothing in return. A good heart burns brightly in her."
[19:43] <Kotono> "It's not that different from how an angel sees things in respect to Good," Kascha idly adds in, "Good and Evil are things that we all understand. Being really good or really evil is difficult but possible. But an elemental's mindset isn't for us."
[19:45] <Kotono> "Baleruk's meddling," Crystal murmurs, before shimmering. Her body shrinks, returning to normal size! She stretches, "Better. Thank you, Kascha." Getting up now, "Good luck on your trip, both of you."
[19:46] <Afina> "Obsession is the rule with the outer planes... not that fey are ones to talk, we just have different things to fixate upon," belatedly she realises the 'we' was a bit presumptive but it would be even more embarrassing to go back and correct herself. Besides, she's fey nobility now so that has to count for something? Speaking of... "Say, Crystal, do you know how titles relate to different
[19:46] <Afina> courts? I mean I'm definitely a baroness in Alfheim, such as it is, but does that carry over to any of the higher courts or am I still a commoner to them?"
[19:50] <Kotono> "They acknowledge titles," Crystal says, "You're not quite a commoner, but you're not a real noble. To which side you lean towards depends on the court you're from and how exalted the title is. Queen Ilsenine would be seen better than Baroness Devilsbane. Incidentally, the exact titles vary widely from court to court. Queen's standard, but everything else varies. If you know the court you're
[19:50] <Kotono> going to, it's best to inquire with the Master of Ceremonies or equivalent position."
[19:52] <Afina> "Right... I'll worry about it later. Plenty other things to deal with, now."
[19:54] <Kotono> "A friendly court will likely give you more respect than a neutral or unfriendly one," Going on from that, "In other words, there's no exact standard - save in the court of Queen Titania. She acknowledges all titles openly, though it is understood that those she has given title to and their noble families control the court and stand above all other court nobles. In other words, yes, worry
[19:54] <Kotono> about it later," Crystal concludes with a smile, "Before alas, Afina is trapped in a dull pattern of noble worries devoid of dance and daggerplay."
[19:56] <Afina> "Oh... I'm going to have to become matron of my own house, her Majesty said," Afina remembers. "I think that means bloodline rather than a dwellingplace, doesn't it?"
[19:58] <Kotono> "Yes," Crystal says, "You'll need to begin a family. While you can adopt others into it, your bloodline must continue."
[20:03] * Afina sighs. "I have always thought we'd need to have children for the future of the Crusade. Guess I'd better start doing my bit sooner rather than later."
[20:04] <Kotono> "Worry not of it until we retake Lifasa," Crystal councils, "To be frank, an idle pregnancy would be a great loss to the Crusade, leaving you a resting mother instead of a proud warrior. There are times to make a family, but war is not that time."
[20:05] <Afina> "Good thinking," Afina beams up at Crystal. "It's much better to do it for fun, anyway, even if I have been out of the habit."
[20:05] <Kotono> "Oh?" Crystal smiles, "Did someone finally catch your eye again?"
[20:06] <Afina> "No," Afina shakes her head, "Just speaking hypothetically."
[20:07] <Kotono> "Alas," Murmuring that, "I must be off. Be well, Afina." OOC: Good to skip along some now?
[20:08] <Afina> OOC: yep

Corwin

[20:09] <Kotono> A day or two passes in rest as Jaela meditates. One early evening Elena appears in Afina's room as she enjoys a tad of downtime, "Afina!" she calls.
[20:10] <Afina> "Elena!" Afina calls right back.
[20:12] <Kotono> "Tepen has awoken," Elena says, "He's in the infirmary if you want to see."
[20:13] <Afina> "Oh, that's great news!" Afina smiles, and since he was never struck he hopefully won't be plagued by phantom injuries like Jaela and Adrian. "Yes, I'll go there now, thank you for letting me know."
[20:14] <Kotono> Afina thus goes to the infirmary. There are several people there - Hanna, Balyss, Priest, Sylvie, Stille, Adrian, Misaela, Mirima and even Sage Vul'lath. Tepen rests on his bed, drinking from a bowl of soup.
[20:16] * Afina flutters up between Hanna and Balyss. "Hello, Tepen," she waves gently. "It's good to see you up again. How're you feeling?"
[20:17] <Kotono> "Poorly," He admits it after gulping down more soup. Hanna quickly clears her throat, "Wait on the questions. Jaela should be here in a moment and there may be one or two more. I'd rather not tire out Tepen with the same set of questions over and over.
[20:17] <Kotono> "
[20:19] * Afina nods and flutters in place quietly... looking at others and then at nothing at all as she passes by the silent waiting.
[20:20] <Afina> "Has anyone told Ellesse?" she whispers quietly to Hanna after a few moments.
[20:22] <Kotono> Hanna peels away and takes Afina with her. Quietly answering away from the others, "She had a bad day," Hanna explains, "She's been asleep the last few hours and it looks like she'll sleep the night through. Better to let her rest."
[20:24] <Afina> "Have you been looking after her while Tepen's been ill?" Afina asks quietly in a tone of approval.
[20:26] <Kotono> "We've been rotating," Hanna explains, glancing over as Jaela emerges from the portal. "Hold on, we'll talk about this later." Turning to her and speaking in a normal tone, "Jaela. How's the meditation going?"
[20:26] * Jaela gives her the same dark look Elena had gotten earlier. "Lunch," she forces herself to say through gritted teeth, "was a bad idea."
[20:27] <Afina> "Keep it up, you'll beat it!" Afina encourages Jaela brightly.
[20:28] <Jaela> "Maybe," Jaela allows. "After a certain point, the atrocities are nothing new."
[20:28] <Kotono> "Smile," Hanna adds with completely sincerity. Then under her breath to Jaela, "Don't bring that mood here. Let's go see Tepen instead."
[20:30] * Jaela salutes her mother. Smiling might be pushing it right now, however.
[20:33] <Kotono> As everyone comes together, Balyss goes on, "We're all here?" she asks, before nodding briefly. "Can you tell us how you feel and what you remember?"
[20:35] <Kotono> "I'm exhausted," Tepen says, "As I cast all the spells I have, ran a marathon and then indulged in a gala until dawn. I don't remember much. Images, fading sensations., dream like phantasms. What little I remember is disturbing, in the way nightmares are disturbing."
[20:36] <Kotono> Sylvie exhales deeply and smiles, while Stille says, "Well done and good show. I daresay it may be for the best that you don't remember."
[20:36] <Afina> "Someone has told you we killed him, right?" Afina asks to make sure Tepen knows the scum is dead and gone forever.
[20:36] <Jaela> "Do you remember us winning, old man?" Jaela asks at the same time, waving at him.
[20:39] <Kotono> "I was told. I don't remember the battle well," Tepen says, "I remember Auril. I can't forget her, no matter how I try." With a wry smile, "But the battle is a blur. I'm told I'm lucky to have recovered - and I know I am, based on what I've gleaned about my condition."
[20:40] <Jaela> "You always did have the strangest luck."
[20:40] <Kotono> "You made it," Adrian adds, "Lucky enough." Standing up and clasping Tepen's shoulder, "Rest up now. I think Tymora loves and hates you in a very special way."
[20:40] <Kotono> "No, Beshaba loves him as much as Tymora," Sage Vul'lath drawls, "The plaything of the fortunes."
[20:41] * Jaela nods at Vul'lath, who took the words right out of her mouth.
[20:44] <Kotono> "Thank you all," Tepen says, "For well wishes. But I'd like to rest now, I can barely keep my eyes open."
[20:45] <Afina> "Take it easy, then. You've earned it," Afina gives her good wishes and then flutters out.
[20:46] * Jaela hopes Tepen has a nice, dreamless rest as she gives him a parting wave and leaves.

Corwin

[20:50] <Kotono> As Afina flies back to her room, "Hold on!" Balyss is heard, running to catch up to Afina. Despite her armor she barely  makes a sound.
[20:51] <Afina> "Hm?" Afina stops and turns back, waiting for the angelic lunatic to catch up. "What is it, Balyss?"
[20:53] <Kotono> "I wanted to make sure you're alright," Falling into step with her, "No signs of your heart freezing?"
[20:55] <Afina> "Well, I felt fine after spending some time with Kascha and it doesn't feel like I've had any relapse," Afina confirms, starting to fly alongside Balyss now. "I'd say I'm recovered."
[20:56] <Kotono> "Good." Exhaling after that, "With what I read, we've gotten off remarkably well with the various repercussions of the Abigor battle."
[20:57] <Afina> "I should hope so. Winning shouldn't end up with us being so debilitated," Afina nods fervently. "How much worse is it going to be when we fight Bel or his like?"
[20:59] <Kotono> "Abigor's a flickering flame compared to Bel's volcano." Balyss frowns deeply, "What very little lore we found out about powers and deities contaminations paints them as far worse than a Duke of Hell's. You're extremely lucky that Auril's was well known and possible to treat."
[21:00] <Afina> "At worst, if it takes a deity to fight a deity... well, we can all put our faith in Baleruk," Afina declares sollemnly.
[21:02] <Kotono> Balyss slumps, "In insane dragons we trust. Forget that. Have you been eating well?"
[21:04] <Afina> "You're never going to leave off on that, are you?" Afina doesn't quite sigh. "I ate a few hours ago, but it's hard to do rigorously when I don't need to."
[21:06] <Kotono> "Keep on it," Balyss says, before yawning, "Speaking of, I've been at it all day. I'll see you later."
[21:06] <Afina> "See you later, then," Afina waves, peeling off and away.