News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

054.10 Ithea and Muirfinn

Started by Corwin, November 05, 2012, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[02:37] <Kotono> The Gate opens and the party steps through it. There is a curious lack of feeling as you pass through. A mere moment of darkness and then you are there. You appear beneath a blood-red sky. The endless sky throbs like an infected wound, the air around you hot as a desert at noon during high summer. It is a dry heat, not a trace of humidity in it. You stand in an intricate magical circle,
[02:37] <Kotono> six of them interlocking together into one defined, yet erratic whole. Ahead of you is a cobblestone path, leading ahead into the endless, flat planes around you.
[02:38] <Kotono> The Gate opens and the party steps through it. There is a curious lack of feeling as you pass through. A mere moment of darkness and then you are there. You appear beneath a blood-red sky. The endless sky throbs like an infected wound, the air around you hot as a desert at noon during high summer. It is a dry heat, not a trace of humidity in it. You stand in an intricate magical circle,
[02:38] <Kotono> six of them interlocking together into one defined, yet erratic whole. Ahead of you is a cobblestone path, leading ahead into the endless, flat planes around you.
[02:40] <Muirfinn> "We had likely best stay on the path." Muirfinn says.
[02:40] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath does exactly there, "I see no profit in explorations of the barren plains. Let us make haste before the troubles of the Abyss bring their council to us."
[02:42] * Ithea nods, looking around as she lets Muirfinn lead. "Probably a good idea. No fond memories of the Abyss for me."
[02:42] <Kotono> As you travel along, you find that it is less your feet move. They certainly do, yet it is almost as if the flat plains move beneath your feet instead of your feet moving. There is a faint sense of unreality to your movements. As you go...OOC: Okay, do either of you see invisible?
[02:43] <Muirfinn> OOC: True Seeing!
[02:43] <Ithea> ooc: I don't by default.
[02:44] <Kotono> As you travel along without traveling, Muirfinn can notice something ahead. It comes from your right, about 200ft from the party when notic4ed. It is a swirling orb of black, lines of wispy power cascading in erratic flows around it. It is invisible, a transparent thing Muirfinn's enhanced vision picked up. As he sees it, for a moment Muirfinn feels his mind grow dull and blank.
[02:46] * Muirfinn turns to look at it, pointing. "Invisible mass to our right, about 200 feet off. Affected my mind for a moment."
[02:48] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath utters a single twisting word, his eyes glowing a dull yellow. "I doubt it is anything but hostile or deletrious to us," he says, Kalith in hand. "Let us act decisively."
[02:50] * Ithea blinks at Muirfinn's words and uses up magic within her amulet so she can see the invisible as well, though she doesn't turn to the right. "Any idea what it is?" she asks, keeping her eyes on Muirfinn still for now.
[02:50] <Muirfinn> OOC: Roll available?
[02:52] <Kotono> OOC: K:P, all.
[02:52] <Kotono> roll 1d20+39 Vul'lath
[02:52] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+39 Vul'lath and gets 59." [1d20=20]
[02:54] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
[02:54] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 35." [1d20=13]
[02:56] <Kotono> OOC: Ithea, are you rolling?
[02:59] <Ithea> ooc: I can if you -really- want me to!
[03:00] <Kotono> "Hold," Sage Vul'lath suddenly says, sheathing his dagger within his robes. "This creature is a parasite of the mind. The master of this layer uses them to eliminate common demons and fools who come here. They ignore those who do not attack them and wipe the minds of those that do attack."
[03:02] <Muirfinn> "Ah," Muirfinn says, relaxing.
[03:02] <Ithea> "So we just ignore it then," Ithea comments with a shrug, and then begins to move forward again. "Fine enough with me."
[03:05] <Kotono> Thus ahead does the party continue, in this nothingness of still-movement and heaving ground. It is not long until you see something on the horizon. A towering building, of floors of dissimilar size. It's all made of pure brown stones, seemingly glued together solidly. A great gate leads to within, several statues glimpsed, but you're too far away to make any of them out.
[03:06] <Ithea> "That the place, Muirfinn?"
[03:07] <Muirfinn> "Perhaps. I've never been here myself." Muirfinn shrugs.
[03:08] <Kotono> "I believe so, based on my research," Sage Vul'lath says, "There is a ritual phrase to be spoken at the gates. Pay no mind to the statues."
[03:10] * Muirfinn nods. "You know the phrase?"
[03:11] <Kotono> As you walk ahead, you can see that the statues are of creatures far and wide. Demons, devils, angels, slaad, and a dozen other things you don't immediately know. They loom above you like stone-frozen nightmares, faces of misery, despair and stone snapshots of soulcrushing loss. Ahead is a thick iron gate leading directly into the building. It is closed. "Repeat after me," Sage Vul'lath
[03:11] <Kotono> murmurs, "This mere phrase is the key to entering the Terminal Archive. I do, thanks to Annalise." Looking up, "I am Sage Vul'lath the Twice Spoken, requesting entry to the Terminal Archive. For the sake of knowledge!"
[03:15] <Muirfinn> "I am Muirfinn of Lifasa, requesting entry to the Terminal Archive. For the sake of knowledge!"
[03:15] * Ithea frowns a bit at the mention of Annalise, but nods as she also follows. "I am Ithea, requesting entry to the Terminal Archive. For the sake of knowledge!"
[03:18] <Kotono> At this, the iron gates open! There is silence as they do, not a sound from the vast iron moving. Ahead of you, you can see bookshelves. Endless bookshelves, stretching out as far as you can see. Rows and rows and yet more rows, no walls in sight. Sage Vul'lath steps inside, "As I understand it, we are wisest to seek a librarian and leave individual tomes be. There is always a price for
[03:18] <Kotono> knowledge in this place."
[03:20] <Muirfinn> "Alas, such is the corruptive nature of the Abyss. Even its books cause suffering and pain."
[03:20] <Ithea> "A warning from Annalise, Vul'lath?" Ithea asks curiously. "Or simply cautiousness for the reason Muirfinn suggests?"
[03:22] <Kotono> As you walk along, Sage Vul'lath murmurs, "Wisdom to keep here. The entirity of this realm is bent on hate." Sage Vul'lath keeps his gaze ahead as the party advances, "Not in so many words, but this realm and reading between the lines makes the truth apparent. We were no great friends before her demise, but of certain things she spoke of and of other things left...notes. A few personal
[03:22] <Kotono> scribblings, forgotten for a time until I chanced on them. Unfortunately, the large majority are either mundane or too obscure to be of any use at all."
[03:23] * Muirfinn grunts. "The ramblings of an ancient vampire..."
[03:24] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[03:24] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 75." [1d100=75]
[03:27] <Kotono> You wander for a good half hour amid these shelves, finding not another soul. At last you come to a dead end, a cul-de-sac of bookshelves. Hovering in the air is a head. The green, dull head of some creature or another, hornless. The green is a shade of forest green that somehow looks sickly. It's neck regularly drips hissing blood that somehow never reaches the ground. It seems to
[03:27] <Kotono> go...elsewhere instead, out of your vision and ken. It's eyes bulge out of its head, fleshy sacs of white. As you approach its mouth moves rapidly, yet not a single sound escapes it.
[03:28] <Muirfinn> "Hello." Muirfinn says cautiously. And quietly!
[03:28] <Kotono> The mouth of the creature moves more, as if saying things - but again, no sound comes.
[03:29] <Ithea> "Do you know where we can find a librarian? Point in that direction or something?" Ithea tries asking, not understanding or hearing anything. She tries straining her ears and focusing on it, just in case.
[03:29] <Kotono> No sound. No sound at all, despite how its lips move.
[03:30] * Muirfinn looks at Vul'lath questioningly.
[03:31] <Kotono> "I suspect the lack of vocal cords may be the answer," Sage Vul'lath gestures with one hand to the severed neck, "Or perhaps magic is in play, for at least we should here the flapping of flesh."
[03:33] * Muirfinn taps his beak. "I say...I'm not quite sure how to proceed here."
[03:33] <Ithea> "Keep exploring randomly?" Ithea suggests.
[03:35] <Kotono> "I am curious as to this. Is there meaning to this, or is it meaningless?" Sage Vul'lath withdraws Kalith and a small cloth sack. Kalith slices out, a flap of the creature's cheek caught in the bag and sealed. He ties it up tight with a drawstring. "For later analysis, in case there is any knowledge to be gleaned here." Meanwhile, the cheek-slice heals within a few seconds, new flesh taking
[03:35] <Kotono> its place.
[03:36] <Muirfinn> "Interesting. It can heal new injuries, but whatever caused it to be as it is, it cannot repair." Muirfinn walks around the creature, examining it.
[03:39] <Kotono> "Fascinating." Sage Vul'lath murmurs, slicing thrice more with Kalith. Hunks fo flesh are carved out, falling to the ground. They do not reach the ground - going elsewhere instead as they fall. The flesh regrows in mere moments. "Regeneration? Superior healing? By chance, do either of you have holy water or a holy blade?"
[03:39] * Ithea frowns. "Are you going to be examining him for a while?" Ithea asks. "I'll just start looking at some of the book titles. That should be safe enough, right?"
[03:40] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
[03:40] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 32." [1d20=10]
[03:40] <Ithea> "And my glaive's blade is holy, though I'd rather not use it on something that hasn't gone out of it's way to attack me."
[03:41] <Muirfinn> "This is a dretch's head! How odd! They don't regenerate."
[03:42] <Kotono> "It is a demon," Sage Vul'lath intones, "By its very existence it is a threat to any civilized person. By its birthright it is an assault on you." Eyes sliding over to Ithea, "I would like to see it cleaved in two. At worst, it perishes and another demon is dead. I see no detriment to it."
[03:43] <Kotono> After a beat, "Is your blade cold forged iron? If it is an abnormally advanced dretch, both holy power and cold wrought iron may be required to properly slay it. If both of those fail, then it is likely we require the application of axiomatic power or it is truly a marvel."
[03:43] * Ithea raises an eyebrow. "That's rather true, I suppose, though wasn't there some truce about combat or something here? I mean, putting it out of it's misery probably doesn't count as 'combat', but still..." Ithea argues.
[03:44] <Ithea> "Afina forged it, Vul'lath," Ithea says. "It's not going to be cold forged iron."
[03:44] <Kotono> "Hm." Considering, "A fair point. I had forgotten in my curiosity." Nodding to that, "What say you, Muirfinn? Can you see any profit in studying this further?"
[03:48] <Ithea> "If you wish to study it, go right ahead, as I said, I'll just browse over the titles. Just be cautious about doing anything that could under some logic be considered combat. Vul'lath's actions so far didn't at the very least, so there's -some- leeway," Ithea comments.
[03:48] * Muirfinn shrugs. "It's interesting, no doubt, but I don't see any profit in it."
[03:49] <Kotono> "Then shall we resume?" Sage Vul'lath turns away from the silent head.
[03:50] * Ithea shrugs and moves on, turning away from the cul-de-sac, and picking another direction to wander.
[03:51] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[03:51] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 3." [1d100=3]
[03:51] * Muirfinn nods, turning back to the disembodied head. He peers underneath it.
[03:53] <Kotono> As you come out of the cul-de-sac and turn, you find a figure awaiting! It is ten feet tall, utterly skeletal with pale blue skin clinging to its bones. It is clad in the burnt remnants of some sort of clothing - too charred to tell what. It has no sexual characteristics and no defined muscles at all. Its face is settled into a deep scowl, as if upset at everything and nothing. Its eyes
[03:53] <Kotono> are tiny scraps of parchment, constantly being written on by an unseen quill.
[03:54] <Ithea> ooc: knowledge check?
[03:54] <Kotono> OOC: K:P.
[03:54] <Kotono> roll 1d20+39 Vul'lath
[03:54] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+39 Vul'lath and gets 41." [1d20=2]
[03:56] <Ithea> roll d20+42-1 K:P
[03:56] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+42-1 K:P and gets 50." [d20=9]
[03:56] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
[03:56] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 26." [1d20=4]
[03:59] <Ithea> "He's a Burned, a demonic mortal burnt for heresy but not dying, even as his flesh turned to ash. They hate questions, though statements and knowledge freely shared is free game," Ithea says for Muirfinn and Vul'lath's benefit. With any luck, the statement will also inspire some shared tidbit from the creature.
[04:00] <Kotono> "I am singular. You are of Aurora. Your kind has been here before." Burned's voice is entirely normal - a high pitched voice with a hint of wheeziness.
[04:01] <Ithea> "Yes. The vampire Annalise left knowledge of how to enter this place," Ithea replies.
[04:03] <Kotono> "The vampire Annalise left knowledge of celestial Jaela's fears here," Burned replies.
[04:06] <Kotono> "We seek knowledge to destroy a demon." Sage Vul'lath says this after consideration, glancing at the other two after saying that.
[04:08] <Kotono> "I seek knowledge to destroy all." The demon replies right after.
[04:10] <Ithea> Something to share with Jaela at a later point, assuming they didn't manage to find this knowledge on this trip. "Vul'lath, he'll share knowledge of the same sort as what we share. A like return or as close as the Burned can manage," Ithea says to the githyanki, before turning to the demonic creature again. "Father could once be found in a book called 100 Fair Recipes. The book has since
[04:10] <Ithea> been destroyed."
[04:12] <Kotono> "The book has not been destroyed. The book cannot be destroyed save for at dawn at Which is No More." Burned takes a single step forward, bony body almost pressing against yours.
[04:20] * Ithea frowns, both at the statement and the creature's action, but does not react in a hostile manner, though she prepares to move out of the way if it moves even an inch closer. "Father is believed to be a spawn of Demogorgon. More of Father's secrets may be hidden in the Valgadda Codex," she tries. She looks towards Vul'lath and Muirfinn for help, as she's not really kept involved with
[04:20] * Ithea any of this research after that first encounter.
[04:22] <Kotono> "The Father is the child of Pale Night and Demogorgon. Father's secrets are hidden in the last copy at Kin'anh'o." Slowly Burned begins to smile. It is a terrible smile, twisting up and revealing teeth and teeth and teeth yet.
[04:24] <Muirfinn> "So show us where that is." Muirfinn says.
[04:25] * Ithea has no more words to trade regarding Father, and she'll leave further questions to her companions, as they started the trip for that research. Instead, she tries to dig up some more information about the knowledge that might pertain to Jaela. "The vampire Annalise has been destroyed for all time, only the memories of those still living and some knowledge in texts remain from her."
[04:25] <Kotono> "I will show you my blessed children, I will show you everything and tomorrow shall bring you everything because we are hungry," The last word is a smooth and yet fatherly voice, tiny mouths forming over Burned's body all over! It begins to devour itself, "We are hungry and we will feast together! Amen!"
[04:26] <Kotono> "Tsch!" Sage Vul'lath's hand goes to Kalith, "The taint of the Father spreads!"
[04:27] * Ithea quickly steps back and grabs onto Vul'lath and Muirfinn as she tries teleporting them some distance away. She doesn't know if it'll work here, but since she's trying to avoid a fight...well, here's hoping.
[04:28] <Ithea> ooc: attempting to use dimension door to teleport us away from the corrupted Burned.
[04:29] <Kotono> Ithea calls on the magic of teleportation - but nothing happens, her magic disrupted and suppressed! At this, Burned continues to devour himself, even as he reaches out for Ithea! OOC: Initiative here.

[04:30] <Ithea> roll d20+19+5 nerveskitter
[04:30] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+19+5 nerveskitter and gets 36." [d20=12]
[04:30] <Kotono> roll 1d20+9 (+2 insightful divination)
[04:30] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+9 (+2 insightful divination) and gets 16." [1d20=7]
[04:30] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+12
[04:30] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+12 and gets 23." [1d20=11]
[04:31] <Kotono> roll 1d20+11 Burned
[04:31] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+11 Burned and gets 14." [1d20=3]
[04:31] * Kotono changes topic to 'Ithea(36)>Muirfinn(23)>Vul'lath(16)>Burned(14)'
[04:31] <Kotono> OOC: Open Ithea. Burned is 10ft away.
[04:31] <Ithea> "Vul'lath, if we're attacked first, can we defend ourselves?" Ithea asks. "And how much time does it take for anything to happen?"
[04:32] <Kotono> "No! Evade and allow the guardians of this damned place deal with it!" Sage Vul'lath retorts, "Lest we become a target as well!"
[04:36] * Ithea is hesitant to attack, given what little she knows about the Terminal Codex's rules and Vul'lath's answer is good enough for her. With a nod, she casts a different magic spell instead as she puts some distance between the corrupted creature and herself. (OOC: casting swift expeditous retreat and moving 70ft back, before taking total defense as action)
[04:37] <Kotono> Ithea runs away, putting plenty of distance down between her and the corrupted demon! OOC: Muirfinn.
[04:40] <Ithea> ooc: it's not running away! it's a strategic retreat!
[04:40] * Muirfinn shifts into wind form, fleeing!
[04:40] <Kotono> OOC: How far back?
[04:42] <Muirfinn> OOC: Run action! 160 ft!
[04:44] <Kotono> Muirfinn flees even farther back, around a corner and out of sigh tentirely! Sage Vul'lath does the same, moving full out and running past the corner as well! OOC: Run action, Vul'lath is getting the fuck outta dodge. Burned is up.
[04:45] <Kotono> Burned comes forward - a flow of devouring mouths and hunger - oh Sharess, Ithea feels a desperate hunger gnaw at her as Burned comes close, trying to bite her! OOC: You have reach, you can AoO if you like.
[04:46] <Ithea> OOC: I'd -like- to, but crazy rules mean I'll hold and hope my defenses hold up.
[04:46] <Kotono> roll 1d20+27 (+2 charge) AC?
[04:46] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+27 (+2 charge) AC? and gets 41." [1d20=14]
[04:47] <Ithea> ooc: 50 right now
[04:48] <Kotono> But Ithea brandishes her glaive, deflecting the bite away! A moment later they are around - around everywhere. Black robed figures, utterly obscured. You see them only a moment, before fire, acid, ice, lightning and pure screaming sound impact Burned - and Ithea merely feet away!
[04:48] <Kotono> roll 5#1d20+18 SR let me know if these pass/fail on you, Ithea
[04:48] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 5#1d20+18 SR let me know if these pass/fail on you, Ithea and gets 145." [5#1d20+18 = 37, 21, 23, 37, 27]
[04:48] <Kotono> OOC: They're all 6th level spells for your racial ability, since I imagine you stopped three of them.
[04:49] <Ithea> ooc: SR 31 for me.
[04:49] <Kotono> OOC: Taking the temp HP or something else?
[04:50] <Ithea> ooc: temp HP, yes.
[04:50] <Kotono> roll 10d10 Burned and Ithea
[04:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d10 Burned and Ithea and gets 57." [10d10=3, 7, 10, 8, 4, 3, 9, 3, 5, 5]
[04:50] <Kotono> roll 10d10 Burned only
[04:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d10 Burned only and gets 55." [10d10=2, 6, 8, 9, 6, 1, 8, 4, 1, 10]
[04:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d10 Burned only and gets 61." [10d10=6, 10, 4, 6, 6, 5, 8, 5, 1, 10]
[04:50] <Kotono> roll 10d10 Burned and Ithea
[04:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d10 Burned and Ithea and gets 55." [10d10=1, 5, 10, 3, 10, 7, 4, 5, 9, 1]
[04:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d10 Burned only and gets 65." [10d10=8, 7, 8, 7, 3, 10, 4, 10, 1, 7]
[04:50] <Kotono> OOC: Elemental res applies to both. It's 30 across the board for you, so.
[04:51] <Ithea> "Gah! I didn't even attack!" Ithea complains.
[04:51] <Kotono> In the blast of elemental power Ithea is momentarily staggered, winded as absorbed spells give her energy! At the same time Burned is utterly consumed! As agony overtakes him, his body flashes into solid stone! A monument of mouths and agony, the black robed creatures flocking silently to the statue. OOC: Free act.

[04:54] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath peeks out moments later, exhaling, "Miserable," he says in a single word, "Ithea, are you harmed?"
[04:55] * Muirfinn hurries over to Ithea, laying his hands on her and channelling raw positive energy into her! OOC: Heal!
[04:55] <Kotono> The black robed figures converge on the statue, vanishing moments later - along with the statue.
[04:55] <Ithea> "You creatures are crap at the defense gig!" Ithea yells at the statue, shaking a fist and exhaling a breath. "I'm fine, my resistance took care of most of that, but still, that was ridiculous!"
[04:56] <Kotono> Approaching at a more sedate pace, "It was a profitable encounter. If Burned was speaking in truth, we must seek a person or place known as Kin'anh'o." OOC: Y'all can make K:R or K:P checks on this, whichever you prefer.
[04:57] <Kotono> roll 1d20+39 Vul'lath planes is higher for him
[04:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+39 Vul'lath planes is higher for him and gets 45." [1d20=6]
[04:58] <Ithea> roll d20+37+3 Inspiration (Add +5 if Collector of Stories bonus counts here)
[04:58] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+37+3 Inspiration (Add +5 if Collector of Stories bonus counts here) and gets 52." [d20=12]
[04:58] <Ithea> ooc: that was K:P btw
[04:58] <Muirfinn> OOC: I'm just gonna abstain
[04:59] <Ithea> "We also know something about Annalise and Jaela that might be worth investigating, although I kind of wish the creature hadn't been consumed before he had a chance to reply."
[05:02] <Ithea> "Kin'anh'o is some place connected to Ocanthus," Ithea says after a bit of thought trying to recall something about it.
[05:03] <Kotono> "The question is thus: Do we investigate Kin'anh'o here or do we return now?" Sage Vul'lath says, turning to Ithea, "Ocanthus? Miserable place of black ice shards and death. A difficult realm to explore, deadly to all."
[05:04] <Muirfinn> "We should research it while we are here." Muirfinn says. "Forewarned is forearmed."
[05:05] <Ithea> "We know. We had to deal with someone there before," Ithea answers. "And I agree with Muirfinn. I'd like to see if we can find out what Annalise hid if at all possible, though I suspect that will be unlikely."
[05:05] <Kotono> OOC: Going to resume exploring, then?
[05:07] <Muirfinn> OOC: Looks like it!
[05:07] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[05:07] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 43." [1d100=43]
[05:07] <Kotono> You wander for a time yet. In time you find another dead end - but this one dead ends into shadows. Within the shadows you see a door set into the bookcases. It is covered in boards and chains, sealed off. You can notice something sitting at the base of the door on the floor - yo ucan't quite make it out from here, though.
[05:08] * Ithea peers at it with more focus! She has good eyes, and she's sure if it's anything worth seeing, she'll see it!
[05:09] <Ithea> roll d20+42 spot, darkvision+low-light vision
[05:09] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+42 spot, darkvision+low-light vision and gets 48." [d20=6]
[05:10] <Kotono> Coming closer, Ithea can see - !!!! It's a doll of her. A perfect plushie of Ithea, just like like on 209. It sits there, a contented smile sewn into its cloth face.
[05:10] <Muirfinn> OOC: True Seeing!
[05:16] <Kotono> OOC: You can see it as well, Muirfinn.
[05:16] <Ithea> "...You know, I think I want nothing to do with that door. Last time I saw one of those dolls, a lot of bad things happened. Really, really bad things," Ithea says as she takes a cautious step back.
[05:16] * Muirfinn eyes Ithea. "It's odd, but merely a doll."
[05:17] <Kotono> "It is a doll of Ithea." SAge Vul'lath rumbles, "To that I attach ill omens indeed."
[05:18] <Ithea> "Last time I saw one of those, and Willim grabbed it, I felt like I was being squeezed. After that, we almost awoke...well, all I'll say on that is that after a lot of fighting and nasty stuff, I ended with this cloak, and useful as it is? Not worth the fighting."
[05:20] <Muirfinn> "Ah, Willim. Your trollish companion, am I correct?"
[05:20] <Kotono> "Still," Sage Vul'lath considers, "The curiosity remains. Perhaps a divination can illuminate us on this matter and the question of the bound door."
[05:22] <Muirfinn> "Go right ahead." Muirfinn gestures.
[05:25] * Ithea sighs, and gestures as well. "Fine, fine, but if something bad happens, well..."
[05:25] <Kotono> "I will deduct the cost of this spell from Aurora's coffers," Sage Vul'lath announces, withdrawing a small cloth bag from his robe, "It costs 500 gold to cast. Vision is a strenous spell, and I may require a brief rest afterwards."
[05:26] * Muirfinn nods.
[05:28] <Kotono> With this, Sage Vul'lath lays a hand on the door and utters strange words. These words cause the space around him and the door to swirl like blended chocolate and milk, towards the center in a spiral. As he casts he tosses the cloth bag into the air, where it vanishes away! After her drops his hands down, "...perplexing. Utterly perplexing. I have in my head a multitude of legends, myths
[05:28] <Kotono> and stories of a sealed room. A sealed room where every possible fact about a person named Ithea can be found." OOC: Deduct the cost from the Aurora fund in loot, one of you. Say...Ithea, since it's about her.
[05:29] <Ithea> "...Me, Ithea, or other Itheas too?" Ithea can't help but ask.
[05:30] <Kotono> "Several stories make references that would infer it is you," Sage Vul'lath says, "None of them speak of what would happen if you enter this room, only that it exists. There is no knowledge of the why or how of it."
[05:30] <Ithea> ooc: posted
[05:31] <Ithea> "Yeah, I think I'll pass on that, still feeling the same way as I did when I first saw that doll. Moving on then?"
[05:32] <Kotono> "Mmmm." Sage Vul'lath murmurs, "I have one question I would like answered first. Ithea, if my knowledge is correct, you were the first victim of reading the Father's book?"
[05:35] <Ithea> "As far as I know, but who knows how many people that book found it's way to before it ended up in Vel's book shop?"
[05:35] <Kotono> "Mmm. That is what I wanted to know." Sage Vul'lath says, "Shall we resume our search?" he asks.
[05:37] * Muirfinn nods.
[05:38] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[05:38] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 13." [1d100=13]
[05:40] <Kotono> You wander again. You are utterly lost at this point, but on you wander. Ahead is an intersection. To the left the path continues on. To the right you see the way ahead blocked by a tower, massive creature. It is made of pure hate that makes your mouths twist and stomachs clench. A wreath of fire surrounds the massive demon. One need only glance at the lightning-jagged blade and flaming
[05:40] <Kotono> whip it holds to know what this creature is. A balor blocks your way ahead. Merely looking at it slams raw, unrelenting hatred into you. A hate for everything, thick as stone and cloying as the rotting scent of neglected corpses.
[05:40] <Kotono> *towering
[05:43] * Muirfinn eyes the balor. "Hello?"
[05:44] <Kotono> It speaks in words that threaten to take you into a mindless rage. A intoxicating fury grips you, a hatred that promises nightmares of blood and steel. "Begone! My Master brooks no distraction!"
[05:47] <Ithea> "Who is your master?" Ithea asks.
[05:48] <Kotono> "Callannan." It utters that single word balefully, "Now leave!"
[05:49] <Kotono> "What will you do," Sage Vul'lath speaks quietly, "Strike us down and die in the bargain? I find your threat here...unrealistic, demon. I believe my colleagues will concur."
[05:50] <Ithea> ooc: K:P for recognizing his master?
[05:50] <Kotono> OOC: Go for it.
[05:50] <Ithea> roll d20+42 K:P
[05:50] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+42 K:P and gets 55." [d20=13]
[05:51] <Kotono> roll 1d20+39 Vul'lath'll try too
[05:51] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+39 Vul'lath'll try too and gets 48." [1d20=9]
[05:52] <Ithea> "Never heard of your master before," Ithea says with a raised eyebrow. "Kind of figured I'd know the name of someone who'd have a balor calling him master."
[05:54] <Kotono> Somehow yet more hate bombards you. If pure hate could kill, the three of you would be slaughtered. The balor glares at you with pure homicidal fury, "I said leave," it growls out, "Impudent fools? Do you think this place will save your lives and your souls from me, let alone from my Master? Your ignorance of him is no protection!"
[05:55] <Muirfinn> "And yet you do not act." Muirfinn states succinctly.
[05:56] <Kotono> The balor is drawn back. As if a cat pulled back by the scruff of the neck, he is pulled back! Behind him see light, beautiful white light. From within that light a soft, reassuring voice calls you, "I applaud your courage. I would meet with you, if you care to join me."
[05:57] * Muirfinn looks at the other two. "Interesting."
[05:58] <Kotono> "A mystery indeed," Sage Vul'lath says, "This suggests either a great mystery of combined forces or an illusion to put us at ease."
[05:58] <Ithea> Mostly just to spite the balor, Ithea says, "I don't see any reason not to meet this Callannan. Shall we?"
[06:00] * Muirfinn nods. "Let's This Callannan seems polite enough."
[06:03] <Kotono> Thus you go into the light! Within you find a sunlit place, chairs and couches amid a circle in the bookshelves. Standing ahead is a beautiful figure. An angel of six wings, of fairness and glorious light. He is clad simply in white robes that seem as precious as gold to your eyes. His eyes are blue and a third eye sits atop his forehead, constantly sweeping about. In that same gentle voice,
[06:03] <Kotono> "Welcome friends."
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[19:54] <Ithea> "Hello," Ithea says politely to the angel, as she examines his features, wondering if Callannan could possibly some alias. "Forgive me for saying so, but you're not what I was expecting the master of that balor to be." (OOC: Can I try to recognize his features in any way with K:P under assumption Callannan wasn't his real name?)
[19:55] <Kotono> OOC: Go for it.
[19:55] <Ithea> roll d20+42-1 K:P
[19:56] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+42-1 K:P and gets 44." [d20=3]
[19:57] <Kotono> "There are mysteries great and small in Creation," he says, his voice putting you at ease. "A tortle, a catfolk and a githyanki. A curious a group as I have ever seen. Certainly its own mystery."
[19:58] <Ithea> "We're from Aurora. If you've heard anything about it and its goals, you'd know it's not as curious a group then," Ithea replies.
[20:01] <Kotono> Reaching out and taking a nearby book - a white tome with golden lettering on the spine, "Ah, I had recently read this tome about Aurora," he says, "Are you familiar with it?"
[20:04] * Muirfinn looks at Vul'lath lizardly, raising an eyebrow. "They write books about us? Already?"
[20:04] <Ithea> "This is my first time in the Terminal Codex, and I can't recall seeing a tome regarding the Aurora in recent times," Ithea admits, as she stretches a hand out, as if asking to borrow the book. Which in fact, she does. "May I?"
[20:05] <Kotono> "Fame has its prices," Sage Vul'lath replies back with a hint of dour amusement, "Terminal Archive," he corrects Ithea absently after.
[20:05] <Kotono> "You may." The book is passed over. You are able to read the lettering on it. Written there is the following, "Fears of Jaela."
[20:10] * Muirfinn peers over from Ithea's side. "Interesting. This book is about Jaela."
[20:12] <Ithea> "Annalise's book then. Interesting indeed," Ithea says, as she opens the book up and starts paging through it quickly, scanning the contents, curious what sort of things the vampire might have written.
[20:13] <Kotono> The book is full of pictures and words. Jaela's fears are glimpsed - vermin and roaches, the loss of Annalise, her own failures, damnation, being bound in soul in a gem. A cavalcade of endless images of horror, quickly sending thrills of reactive fear through Ithea.
[20:16] * Ithea closes the book. "Not the sort of reading I enjoy, I'll have to admit," Ithea comments, as she looks back to Callannan.
[20:18] <Kotono> "It's not light reading." Offering a hand out to take the book back, "I've spent some time in this library. If you're looking for a particular subject, I may be able to help."
[20:20] <Ithea> roll d20+42-1 spot
[20:20] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+42-1 spot and gets 47." [d20=6]
[20:21] * Muirfinn glances around warily. "No offense, good sir, but I have difficulty trusting anyone here. The Abyss being what it is, images and shapes can conform to deceive the unwary and corrupt the true. I'm sure you understand. Even if you are as you claim, the information we seek is incredibly dangerous, and I would not wish to befoul your presence with it."
[20:21] * Ithea passes the book back. "Any particular reason for your time spent here? Are you looking for a particular subject yourself?" Ithea asks curiously.
[20:24] <Kotono> "Yes. Where better to learn about the darkness than in the darkness? If it is to be defeated, knowledge is essential." A pause after that, "You're wrong. The Abyss steals the simple virtue of trust and ruins it. Is that not what this accursed realm desires, to strip you of this ability and alienate you from others? From alienation flows distrust, and from those flows hatred."
[20:27] <Ithea> "That might be so, but my friend does mean well. We just saw another being corrupted simply by speaking of the thing we seek information on, it is not something we would wish on anyone," Ithea says. The changes in the room are concerning to her, and so she adds, "Anyhow, while it was pleasant enough to meet you, Callannan, I think we'll continue our search on our own. If you wish, feel free
[20:27] <Ithea> to contact us again at Aurora if you'd like to discuss knowledge....though I would caution you to leave your balor somewhere else."
[20:28] <Kotono> "Feel free to leave then," The celestial invites.
[20:29] * Ithea nods, and she moves to leave.
[20:31] * Muirfinn bows at the waist, feeling joints creak unnaturally. "Thank you for your hospitality." He turns to leave as well!
[20:31] <Kotono> As you turn to leave, you see the way you came from is gone. A bookshelf is there instead. Meanwhile the celestial chuckles slightly, "Ah, I see that has happened. This archive has a twisted sense of its own humor."
[20:33] <Ithea> "This happens a lot? What other way out is there?" Ithea asks.
[20:45] <Kotono> "A way will appear if you hav patience," The celestial says, gesturing at the seats, "Why don't you join me?"
[20:46] <Muirfinn> "Okay." Muirfinn stops. "Anyone else notice that the sunlight has dimmed, that it's going red, or that it's terribly cold in here?"
[20:47] <Kotono> "I have not," Sage Vul'lath says, even as he begins to shiver with cold, "It's fine in here."
[20:47] <Kotono> "Really?" The celestial says, "Your travels must have exhausted you. Sit and rest."
[20:48] <Muirfinn> "Right. Abyss." Muirfinn says, shifting into water elemental form. Perhaps that will push off the cold.
[20:49] <Ithea> "I've noticed it, Muirfinn, it's why I have interest in leaving," Ithea says, as she casts detect magic. "Let's see if I can find a way out of here..." she says as she casts her spell, although she does take note of Callannan's third eye in her detection, as well as the former entrance. (OOC: spellcraft?)
[20:49] * Muirfinn raises a finger at the angel. "Your third eye is now red."
[20:53] <Kotono> OOC: Spellcraft.
[20:53] <Ithea> roll d20+35-1
[20:53] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+35-1 and gets 44." [d20=10]
[20:53] <Ithea> ooc: roll separate for bookcase and angel, or that roll enough?
[20:54] <Kotono> The angel merely smiles. As he does his wings blacken and turn gray, beginning to molt. In the same soothing voice as his red eye begins to bleed, "I don't know what you're talking about. Instead, let's talk. Tell me about yourselves."
[20:57] <Ithea> "I don't think so," Ithea says, as she starts searching around the room for a way to leave, even if it requires moving a bookcase. That restriction on attacking and the inability to teleport really limits what she can do. "You seem entirely too unconcerned with our concerns to my liking."
[21:00] <Muirfinn> "Well, let's be sensible here. We're in this place, yes, and it's the Abyss. We MAY be hallucinating here, and we may not. We can sit here until he turns into a melted candle with tentacles and there's really nothing he can DO after that. If he does anything that could be construed as an attack, he will in turn be destroyed by the creatures that monitor this place. In a way, we're somewhat
[21:00] <Muirfinn> safe. Sort of." Muirfin says, wobbling a watery hand.
[21:02] <Ithea> "After that last encounter, I've decided the defenses here are unreliable, honestly," Ithea replies to Muirfinn.
[21:04] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath begins to deeply shiver, as darkness falls. A darkness your darkvision holds off, as you poke about. The bookshelves are all solid and heavy - moving or destroying one is going to be a chore. The bookshelves extend almost up to the ceiling - but perhaps you can see a few gaps up there. "The problem with your kind," The angel says, "Is that you see through things when it doesn't
[21:04] <Kotono> benefit you. Submitting along would have saved your sanity." The celestial is beginning to blur, shifting beneath the multi-faceted blurring!
[21:06] <Muirfinn> "This is entirely rude. You could at least be polite about it." Muirfinn says, before turning and slamming into the bookcase that blocks their way back where they came.
[21:06] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+14 strength to topple
[21:07] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+14 strength to topple and gets 16." [1d20=2]
[21:07] <Muirfinn> OOC: O-o
[21:08] <Ithea> "You said you'd read about Aurora, Callannan. Did you read anything of worth if you didn't know the people there never submit?" Ithea says back as she points to some of the gaps. "Muirfinn, try these bookcases, they may be easier!"
[21:08] * Muirfinn does so!
[21:08] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+14 strength to topple
[21:08] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+14 strength to topple and gets 22." [1d20=8]
[21:11] <Kotono> The book shelf shakes, but does not tip over! A few books come raining down, the entire thing wobbling but not down yet! "Just turn around and look at me ,and it will be all over," The gentle voice demands, "All your worries. All you'll have to do forever is scream."
[21:11] <Muirfinn> It's got give!
[21:12] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+14 again
[21:12] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+14 again and gets 34." [1d20=20]
[21:14] <Kotono> With a great push the bookshelf is undone! It tumbles forward, falling at about a fourty degree angle before stopping, hitting against something solid! But it makes a gap for you to go through!
[21:15] * Muirfinn hauls Vul'lath and Ithea off their feet and stuffs them through the gap, then follows!
[21:16] <Ithea> "No, I think is where we part, Callannan. I told you. We of Aurora, of Lifasa, we do not submit. Ta-ta!" Ithea says, waving away at the fake angel as Muirfinn hauls her out of the room.
[21:16] <Kotono> Sage Vul'lath follows, stumbling ahead and out! The strong heat of the relam returns as you rush out, Sage Vul'lath wasting no time in running!
[21:17] * Muirfinn pushes the bookcase back into place.
[21:22] <Kotono> OOC: STr.
[21:22] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+14
[21:22] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+14 and gets 30." [1d20=16]
[21:27] <Kotono> With a quick shove Muirfinn puts the bookshelf back in place, sealing the way you came! Meanwhile Sage Vul'lath is a goodly ways away now, huffing for air with his hands on his knees.
[21:28] * Muirfinn heads toward him! "Are you alright?"
[21:29] <Ithea> "I think he was more affected by whatever Callannan was doing to us. He hadn't noticed the changes in the room as much," Ithea says as she also moves to check Vul'lath, casting detect magic again to see if there's anything magical remaining over him from whatever just happened. If she only detects the normal enchantments, he should be fine soon...hopefully.
[21:29] <Ithea> roll d20+35-1 spellcraft
[21:29] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+35-1 spellcraft and gets 54." [d20=20]
[21:30] <Ithea> "I don't see anything else."
[21:30] <Kotono> "I'm fine," Vul'lath wheezes out, "Running was merely the best idea that came to mind under the circumstances."
[21:31] <Ithea> "I'm wondering what exactly he was. He was definitely no angel."
[21:31] <Muirfinn> "Good choice." Muirfinn says, rumbling thoughtfully. "Okay, new rule. If it looks like it doesn't belong here, it's probably out to get us."
[21:34] <Ithea> "Do we still want to stick around, or call it a day here?" Ithea asks, mostly to Vul'lath as he's the most winded at the moment.
[21:35] <Kotono> "I'm fine and we still seek knowledge of Kin'anh'o." Sage Vul'lath says, "I am good to continue."
[21:36] * Ithea nods. "Alright, let's keep searching then."
[21:37] <Muirfinn> "Let's."

Anastasia

> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 4." [1d100=4]
> Soon enough you come to a desk nestled amid all the bookshelves, set to slightly jut out in the middle of the hallway. Sitting there is a prim and proper woman with bat's wings. Her hair is the vibrant blue of the summer ocean. She is ripe and verdant in the way women are. She writes with a quill, penning a scroll of some time.
<Muirfinn> "Ah, a succubus. Finally someone who can communicate without going completely insane." Muirfinn says drily. "Are you a librarian?"
> She looks up, speaking in a honeyed voice that brings the stirrings of lust to you. You feel a desire to hang on her every word, watching her hand as it brushes back a bit of hair. She smells overwhelmingly good, of..of...of...you can't tell, but it's good. Looking on and speaking in those sweet tones, "I can help you," she says, "For a price."
<Muirfinn> As a tortle, Muirfinn is used to women throwing themselves at him! He valiantly resists any temptations this demon stirs within him! "And what is that price?"
> "The knowledge of your first love," She leans forward slightly, that scent driving Muirfinn mad! OOC: Make a quick will save, Muirfinn. This is a mind-affecting ability.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32+6
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32+6 and gets 49." [1d20=11]
> Sage Vul'lath hangs back momentarily, silent.
<Muirfinn> "And what will you do with this knowledge?" Muirfinn presses, stoic.
> "It will be documented in three books here," she says, "One for each of you." Twirling her hair with a finger, blue locks like rippling water, "They will be added to the Terminal Archive."
<Ithea> "I have no plans to give up such knowledge," Ithea replies.
<Muirfinn> "I find it difficult to trust a succubus or the Abyss. This place is dangerous and corruptive." Muirfinn shakes his head.
> The creature smiles - Ithea's heart skips a beat as she looks to the catfolk warrior, "Oh, it's not so bad," she says, "Or is your first love something forbidden?" OOC: Make a will save, Ithea? Mind-affecting.
> "Giving this information is a fool's errand, allowing any demon here to find a person to torment. All for the adaucity of being loved by another." Sage Vul'lath says, hanging well back. "Let alone when we do not know if you have the knowledge we seek."
<Ithea> roll d20+28+9 inspiration
* Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+28+9 inspiration and gets 56." [d20=19]
> "Really?" Smiling now, the woman sits back and watches. Her eyes are pools of lavender, ones that are like staring into a lovely serene sea. "Even if I do not, there is a book here that will. Directing you to it is a trivial matter." Resting now, "Oh, perhaps one of you did something horrible to your first love? Perhaps you forced the question and would not accept a demurral? Or perhaps your first love was too young to appreciate it, or even understand what you did to them and why it hurt so much?"
* Muirfinn raises a scaly eyebrow at the woman. "Really."
> "My secrets are mine and mine alone, demon," Sage Vul'lath loads his voice with contempt and scorn, "Not to be whored out to a demonwhore." He moves to walk away, continuing down the hall of bookshelves. "Rot in this place of knowledge, learning nothing but your own foolishness."
* Muirfinn waggles fingers at the blue-haired demon as he passes by. "Taa."
> Sage Vul'lath pauses at that, not looking back. But he does stop long enough to say, "Pray to whatever filth you rut in that we do not meat outside of this place, demon. You will regret it for the few moments your existance has left."
> *meet
* Ithea follows after the others wiothout a word.
<Ithea> ooc: without*
> As you leave the woman behind Sage Vul'lath murmurs, "Swine," he says with overflowing contempt, "I move that it may be wise to assign this research to our own ends before resorting to here again. I do not doubt the answer is here, but I find that the requested price is too high."
<Muirfinn> "Let us try for a bit longer. There must be SOME manner of creature here installed to help."
> "...very well," Sage Vul'lath says, "What say you, Ithea?"
<Ithea> "We've already stuck around a while longer than I figured, might as well try one more shot at finding something helpful. After that though, I say we return. If we come back, we should bring Sylvie or some way to defend ourselves, since apparently the locals seem to know all the loopholes or something."
* Muirfinn nods. "I was thinking the same."
> "Yes," Sage Vul'lath says as the party travels along...(More)
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 18." [1d100=18]
> A brief wander leads you to something new - stairs going up! Sage Vul'lath momentarily pauses, just long enough to simply look at the other two questioningly.
* Muirfinn shrugs. "They go up. Let's see what we can see."
> Up you go, on steps of books. Each step you rise causes ethereal pages to fall behind you, fading away. Atop the stairs is another endless library. But here the books float in jellified wood, the floor an oozy stone. The scent of wetness and mold is everywhere, yet the oozy tone floor holds your feet with only a slight squish.
<Ithea> "...I can't even think of any reason for this," Ithea observes. She reaches out for a book and looks at the cover, wondering if the topic might give some sort of explanation for the oozy/jelly look.
* Muirfinn hesitates. "I recall something about ooze and the Abyss...Isn't there a demon lord that specializes in ooze?"
> "Juiblex," Sage Vul'lath says shortly. The book is easy to take and the language on the binding is incomprehensible to Ithea. "He has no interest in knowledge. He hates everything with a mindless ferocity."
<Muirfinn> "That's the one.
<Muirfinn> "That's the one." Muirfinn says, snapping his fingers. "Either one of his lot are here, or we're inside a giant stomach designed to look like a library."
* Muirfinn stops. "Wait, are we inside a giant stomach?"
> "Or there's no reason for it, or a reason so devoid of meaning that it is meaningless," Sage Vul'lath says, as he takes his knife out. He scrapes ab it of jelly wood off, adding it to his bag. "I do not believe os. I see no acids."
<Ithea> "Well, the book doesn't even make sense," Ithea comments, as she looks around for any book that actually looks legible. "And don't be ridiculous, stupid rules this place may have, being swallowed by someone has -got- to count as an attack."
<Muirfinn> "Hmm." Muirfinn says, gingerly pulling another book from the slime.
> The sixth book down is written in Common. It reads, 'The dying words of the citizens of Greyrock, Dukedom of Quesp, 1409-1646 SER
> '
> Muirfinn searches and pulls out a book! OOC: This one might be a language you know. List 'em, Muirfinn?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Common, Tortle, Druidic, Aquan, Auran, Draconic, Celestial, Infernal, Terran
> Written in Aquan is, 'The secret sins of Gulpdolup, water elemental.'
<Muirfinn> "Hey, this one is in Aquan." Muirfinn says, paging through it.
<Ithea> "How does one write a whole book about one person's dying words?" Ithea asks to nobody in particular as she just stares at the book in her hands.
> Sage Vul'lath comes over, "Citizens," he corrects, "Still, this Greyrock must be a large city or metropolis. Macabre."
> The book describes with clinical, cold terms the thefts of the elemental Gulpdolup. Stealing from others, stealing from those who need more. Constant greed, caring nothing for others and hiding it with lies and his implacable elemental face. Every little theft - of goods, of food, of time, of love - is listed in full detail.
* Ithea blinks and looks at the book again. "Oh, sorry, I think I was still stuck on the succubus and her wanting to make a book about each of us."
* Ithea looks through some of the other books, looking to see if anything actually interesting or useful sounding pops up.
> OOC: Make a spot or search check, Ithea? Whichever's better.
<Muirfinn> "Huh...Perhaps I should pay this elemental a visit one day. Just to set things straight." Muirfinn says, checking the end to see if the book mentions the elemental's wherebouts or death.
<Ithea> ooc: Languages Known: Common, Feline, Draconic, Sylvan, Elven, Infernal, Aquan, Terran, Celestial, Ignan.
<Ithea> roll d20+42+3 spot+inspiration
* Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+42+3 spot+inspiration and gets 61." [d20=16]
> roll 1d1000+61
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d1000+61 and gets 1026." [1d1000=965]
> Ithea notices a tome with a title written in Infernal, 'A study of Mephistopheles.' It's a plain white tome, cold to the touch.
* Ithea reaches for that one. "Huh, look at this one," she comments to the others, letting them glance at the cover before she opens it up and starts looking through the first chapter.
> "Hm?" The book is written in Infernal. But this type of Infernal is much more rigid, somehow. Much more refined, pure. There is a staggering clarity of purpose to it, each sentence following a logical and inexorable conclusion established with the first word. The only possible conclusion that could be. The first chapter is a foreword, short and to the point. It is a study of the Lord of the Eigtht, Mephstipheles.  It promises great secrets of the stoic dark lord, yet the progression of the words, the inevitability of it brings a sense of absolute despair to Ithea. From her eyes bitterly cold tears begin to fall, a sense of sorrow so cold that it a shivering chill takes her.
> *Mephistopheles. Gah, typo hell.
<Muirfinn> "What is it, Ithea? Why are you crying?" Muirfinn leans over, looking at her with concern.
* Ithea frowns and decides to stop reading, rubbing her eyes. "Okay, not worth reading, I think," she decides. "Any interest in looking any more in this area, or time to go?"
<Ithea> "Annoying book magic, Muirfinn. At least it's not making me want to eat other people. I'm fine anyway," she answers the tortle.
> The voice of a serpent. A voice so soft that it can nary be heard, yet it is right behind you. "If you found that book, it is worth reading," It whispers, breath on Ithea's ear, the silibant voice coming right into her left ear.
* Ithea flips around quickly and with a small involuntary shiver as she takes a combat pose, as she glares at whatever just whispered at her.
* Muirfinn draws back. "What is it?"
> Nothing. Yet the voice continues to whisper in Ithea's ear, despite her movement. "Take the book. More devils will die after you have read that. More will die. One more will die."
<Ithea> "...fuck book magic," Ithea mumbles under her breath after she realizes no one is next to her, and she shifts out of her combat position, and then glares at the book in her hands. "The book is telling me to take it with me. I'm being told that more devils will die after the book is read."
> "Can we take it?" Sage Vul'lath says, "I am not certain if we can walk out of here with a book."
<Ithea> "I have no clue, you two know more about the rules of this place," Ithea admits.
> "Take it," Again the voice is in Ithea's left ear, "More will die. More devils will die. I will send you away from this place with the book. Take it and be free of this place."
<Muirfinn> "I will carry it, if you do not wish to." Muirfinn offers. "If nothing else, we will have gained this."
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+10 woefully low wah
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+10 woefully low wah and gets 30." [1d20=20]
<Muirfinn> "Oh. Oh, I see. Ithea..." Muirfinn says. "How to say this delicately..."
<Ithea> "If you want to, though I'm concerned that the whispers in my ear...well, they're not just saying devils will die, they're also saying 'More will die.' And that worries me," Ithea says with a frown, acting very cautious.
<Muirfinn> "You appear to have a spectral snake-ish thing coming out of your chest." Muirfinn says. "It's going into your ear."
<Ithea> "...I don't suppose you can grab it and pull it out?" Ithea asks, looking at the tortle with hopeful eyes.
* Muirfinn attempts!
> Muirfinn's hands grasp something around Ithea's chest! The moment he does...OOC: Fortitude save. Are you immune to cold?
<Muirfinn> OOC: I might be. Depends on form. Moment. Logdiving.
<Ithea> ooc: I don't think you ever shifted out of elemental form after the fake angel.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Water! Yay! Cold Immune
<Muirfinn> OOC: Save still?
> OOC: No need, but there is still some effect.
> Touching is cold. So cold that Muirfinn is certain he would freeze solid if he were not Water. It is followed by heartwrenching despair, rising up in him like a tide of remorse and bile. Meanwhile Ithea hears more whispering, "More devils will die. Take the book. Take the book, Ithea. Take your revenge. They hurt you. They hurt you so much. They took everything from you. You can hurt them more with this book."
<Muirfinn> "That...is remarkably unpleasant." Muirfinn says, giving it a tug. "Hey you. Let's talk."
> OOC: Will save.
<Ithea> ooc: me or Muirfinn?
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+36+6
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+36+6 and gets 50." [1d20=8]
> OOC: Muirfinn.
> Muirfinn pulls on the thing - it becomes more visible. A hissing red snake, whispering into Ithea's ear with a tongue of frost. Yet it is not budged, as Muirfinn has to battle down blossoming, overwhelming despair. A giant chasm of despair, rising up to claim him body and soul seems to be opening up within him!
* Muirfinn rumbles with bubbling water. fighting the foreign sensations. "Red snake, full of ice and despair. Relinquish your hold! If you are ally, then prove it by aiding us, whispering into Ithea's ear!" With that, he gives it a strong yank!
> OOC: Will save again.
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+36+6 and gets 52." [1d20=10]
> Again the snake does not move. Muirfinn feels overwhelming despair creep further in him, rising up like a chasm to consume him! Yet the snake does not bulge. Instead more whispers to Ithea, "Take the book. We can kill so many devils with the knowledge in this book," It hisses, so full of despair and yet with an iron reasonableness, an inevitability that stands out amid the encroaching, meaningless hopelessness. "Take the book, Ithea."
> "Enough," Sage Vul'lath speaks quietly, even toned, "The stench of diabolical sorcery is evident. I believe magical measures are needed. Appealing to the Weave with a Wish would be better than arguing with this tome."
<Ithea> "Hmph, feel free to try, but if taking the book means listening to these whispers, I'm probably going to end up ditching it behind," Ithea says.
* Muirfinn nods, still gripping the snake. "I'll hold it so it cannot escape."
> Sage Vul'lath traces a pattern on the ground. A pentagrams of gemstones appears beneath him as he chants in a deep voice, "Weave, hear my demand! Undo this sorcery!" He says, reaching out to touch Ithea's forehead.
> roll 1d20+19
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+19 and gets 20." [1d20=1]
> roll 1d20+26
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+26 and gets 35." [1d20=9]
> Sage Vul'lat touches Ithea's forehead! The moment he does he falls to his knees, eyes wide. "No..." He murmurs this with utter disbelief, before falling to hands and knees. Sobs wrack him as he shakes, violent, massive sobs that make his entire body quiver!
<Muirfinn> "Vul'lath!" Muirfin shouts. "What happened?"
<Ithea> "The book's magic...no, the serpent you see. It must have affected him when he tried to cast his spell," Ithea says with a frown. "What else can we do to get rid of it..." she mutters.
> Your answer is more wracking sobs.
> "Stop resisting. I'll help you. I'll help you," The whispers continue, breathing into Ithea's ear.
<Muirfinn> "Ithea...give me the book." Muirfinn says.
* Ithea passes the book to Muirfinn, he seems the least affected by its magic so far.
<Muirfinn> "Now I have the book, serpent. What will you do?"
> OOC: Make another will save, Muirfinn.
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+36+6 and gets 44." [1d20=2]
<Muirfinn> OOC: Great timing.
<Ithea> ooc: still not a 1 at least!
<Muirfinn> Big globs of water fall from Muirfinn's eyes as he cries to the ceiling in despair in great belowing tones! "All those people...MY SONS! WHY?!"
<Muirfinn> Big globs of water fall from Muirfinn's eyes as he cries to the ceiling in despair in great belowing tones! "All those people...MY SONS! WHY?!"
<Ithea> "...okay, that didn't work out," Ithea mutters as she eyes both Muirfinn and Vul'lath, wondering what to do.
> Amid the lamentations of Vul'lath and Muirfinn, the voice whispers in Ithea's ear, "You can be stronger than them. You can have the strength of character to kill more devils and overcome this despair. They don't have the strength of character to forsake hope. They are too weak."
<Ithea> "I don't need any book or snake's whispers to kill devils," Ithea replies with a frown. "Go away, whatever you are," Ithea says as she bats randomly at the air space near her ear, since she can't see this spectral serpent.
> O
> OOC: Make a will save at that?
<Ithea> roll d20+28+9 inspiration
* Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+28+9 inspiration and gets 48." [d20=11]
> With a tremendous surge of will, Ithea finds her hands moving of their own accord. Some deep instinct, some need to do something. With a much effort as it would take to move a boulder, Ithea drops the book back into the jelly. Suddenly her chest feels warm (it was so cold, cold enough to be numb through, obvious all in one moment), a sense of despair leaving her as if light at the end of a long ordeal.
* Ithea waits a few seconds, wondering if the whispers are gone, and checks to see how the other two are now that the book is gone. If they're still sobbing, she's gating them back to Aurora ASAP.
* Muirfinn shakes his head, whipping water everywhere. "Ergh...what on earth was that? It was as though I had been struck by the death of everyone on Lifasa. Is that what you felt, Ithea?"
> No more whispers. Vul'lath is slowly gathering himself, breathing heavily.
<Ithea> "I just had the book whispering at me a lot. It went away when the book got junked back into the ooze," Ithea answers. "I don't know if dealing with the last magical book gave me a bit of protection from such magic, or maybe I was just too suspiscious of it to really work. I know you wanted to take it with us, but it seems it's for the best if you two are okay now."
> Rising shakily, "I will endure," Sage Vul'lath says dourly, though there is a crack in his voice.
<Ithea> "Either way though, I think it's time to listen to our better senses and actually take off now like we said we would."
* Muirfinn grumbles. "How unfortunate. We could have learned much, if not for that creature."
<Ithea> "We'll be fine," Ithea says, not nearly as bothered.
> OOC: Continuing on then?
<Muirfinn> OOC: more insanity please
<Ithea> ooc: we said we'd leave though?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Or that
<Ithea> ooc: I mean, if you really want to, then make an argument for it
<Ithea> ooc: Ithea's last statements were about leaving, so now's the time to argue for more wackiness if you want it
> OOC: Okay, wasn't clear on it. Up to y'all here.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Muirfinn's pretty fed up with the Abyss. It's much crazier than he expected.
<Ithea> ooc: time to go then, unless Vul'lath wants to try his hand at convincing us
> OOC: Okay. More.
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 35." [1d100=35]
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 83." [1d100=83]
> Wandering back downstairs is mercifully without incident, as is finding the exit. By seemingly blind luck you stumble on it after a few turns, coming right back out into the entryway and statues. Here is a familiar one - Burned is there, robed figures all around him. Every few seconds the mouths begin to move and devour the stone bo dy, only before flashes of elemental power slam into him and turn them to uneaten stone once more.
<Muirfinn> "...huh. Persistant bastard."
<Ithea> "He started out as someone that pretty much survived being burned alive. Can't expect much else, even if his mind fell to a different corrupting influence."
> "A footnote in our lives, nothing more," Sage Vul'lath sounds both cranky and tired, a snappish note to his voice, "Let us keep aware and return to Aurora safely. Muirfinn?"
<Muirfinn> "Indeed. The Abyss is much more unpleasant than I had expected." Muirfinn says, opening a portal to Air.
> "Yes, the plane of incarnated evil is unpleasant," Sage Vul'lath drawls, "I believe there is a critical hole in your planar studies." Meanwhile a path to Air is opened, the party stepping through! You float in sweet, clean air as Aurora is before you!
* Ithea steps through!
<Muirfinn> "Of course it is," Muirfinn says, shouldering through the portal. "I'm merely saying that it's worse than I expected."
> OOC: Okay, what are y'all gonna do next? Gonna dig for info on your new location at all or something else?
<Muirfinn> OOC: The former. Might want to ramp up for visiting the Glasae Queen. The fool's errand that it'll be.
<Ithea> ooc: I have no plans now.
> OOC: Okay. How are you gonna dig for info on it?
> OOC: Really, what I'm asking if this is gonna involve anyone I'm gonna have to roll for'n'shit.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Me n' Vul'lath n' Sylvie n' anyone else that wants to help.
<Ithea> ooc: I'll help if you want, otherwise NPCs are fine
<Ithea> ooc: but in the meantime, sleep for me.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

> Thus do several gather Muirfinn and Sage Vul'lath are joined by Sylvie, Elder Magi Tepen, Ellese and strangely enough, Canderella. Sylvie sits in a deep, comfortable chair whiles Elder Magi Tepen sit at one table with Ellese nearby. Canderella is just lingering nearby, watching everything. "Ahem," Sage Vul'lath clears his throat, "We have two goals - to find out all the information we can about the Glasea Queen and to likewise investigate the Valgadda Codex. Do you have anything to add, Muirfinn?"
* Muirfinn shakes his head. "No, that's what we're after."
> "Of special note, should you come across anything on Kin'anh'o, make note of it and alert Muirfinn or myself." Clearing his throat, "Now we'll see to business..." OOC: How do yo uwant to structure this. One/two people making aided/augmented checks, everyone checking and seeing how it hashes out or what?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Works for me!
> OOC: That was two distinct suggestions, not one. >_>
<Muirfinn> OOC: Ahhh, ok. Uh. Everyone checking with the max bonuses they can accrue.
> OOC: Okay, rolls your first.
> OOC: Oh obviously the checks are K:N for the Queen and K:R for the codex.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+34+15 K:N
<Muirfinn> OOC: Hatebort
-eraniss.tx.us.lunarnet.org:@#terrorofdunes- Kotono invited Hatbot into the channel.
* Hatbot (~Hatbot@cpe-66-69-212-179.austin.res.rr.com) has joined #terrorofdunes
> OOC: Fixed.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+34+15 K:N
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+34+15 K:N  and gets 66." [1d20=17]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22+15 K:R
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22+15 K:R and gets 43." [1d20=6]
> OOC: That's the library bonus, right? You're getting it for obvious reasons but I didn't rememeber to explicitly include it.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yes. -15 if I can't otherwise use it
> OOC: You can, just making sure. Now to start the GREAT ROLLING.
> roll 1d20+36+15 (K:R Vul'lath)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+36+15 (K:R Vul'lath) and gets 52." [1d20=1]
> roll 1d20+25 (Vul'lath lore K:N)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+25 (Vul'lath lore K:N) and gets 45." [1d20=20]
> roll 1d20+25 (Vul'lath lore K:R)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+25 (Vul'lath lore K:R) and gets 26." [1d20=1]
> roll 1d20+44+15+10+19 (Sylvie K:N, +10 lore of the gods spam with extend spell as her floating feat to enable it, +19 factotum shit)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44+15+10+19 (Sylvie K:N, +10 lore of the gods spam with extend spell as her floating feat to enable it, +19 factotum shit) and gets 101." [1d20=13]
> roll 1d20+44+15+10+19 (Sylvie K:R, +10 lore of the gods spam with extend spell as her floating feat to enable it, +19 factotum shit)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44+15+10+19 (Sylvie K:R, +10 lore of the gods spam with extend spell as her floating feat to enable it, +19 factotum shit) and gets 95." [1d20=7]
> roll 1d20+34+15 Tepen K:N
> roll 1d20+34+15 Tepen K:R
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+34+15 Tepen K:N and gets 61." [1d20=12]
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+34+15 Tepen K:R and gets 60." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+14 K:N lore Tepen
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+14 K:N lore Tepen and gets 30." [1d20=16]
> roll 1d20+14 K:R lore Tepen
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+14 K:R lore Tepen and gets 33." [1d20=19]
> roll 1d20+2 Ellese will aid Tepen K:N
> roll 1d20+2 Ellese will aid Tepen K:R
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+2 Ellese will aid Tepen K:N and gets 7." [1d20=5]
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+2 Ellese will aid Tepen K:R and gets 5." [1d20=3]
> roll 1d20+29+15 K:N Canderella
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+29+15 K:N Canderella and gets 63." [1d20=19]
> roll 1d20+21+15 K:R Canderella
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+21+15 K:R Canderella and gets 49." [1d20=13]
> roll 66+45+101+61+30+63
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 66+45+101+61+30+63 and gets 366."
> roll 45+26+52+95+60+33+49
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 45+26+52+95+60+33+49 and gets 360."
> Days pass. Days of deep study and work. Ellese and Tepen tend to work together, the others by themselves. But slowly progress is made - and on the fifth day you find something. It happens to be Canderella that looks up from hre book, "Oh, finally! Here! Here's something about Valgadda. It's in Abyssal.""
* Muirfinn peers over a massive stack of books. "What is it?"
> Sage Vul'lath does the same, as Sylvie looks up from a thick book held up by an entire table. "It's titled 'The Destruction of the Land that is No More.' Roughly. Abyssal tends to use apocalyptic phrasing for anything destructive. A literal translation would be both profane and misleading."
<Muirfinn> "Sounds like it's headed in the right direction."
> Tepen approaches, "What does it say?"
> Canderella licks her forefinger before turning the page, scanning down, "Alright, let's see. The mountainous land of Valgadda, okay. Remember that. Beautiful, plentiful. More or less, it's being described in mocking terms. Really, keep that in mind that I'm translating from a language dedicated to darkness. There's no words for several positive concepts in Abyssal, so I'm having to read between the lines. Plus every writer of Abyssal tends to take his own liberties with the language. Anyway..." Pausing and reading on, "A great calamity befouled the land and consumed it whole. Sounds familiar. A broken land was left behind, forever accursed. Those who visit the land are forever cursed to oblivion after death. The last part's hard. It's using a term for being cast into the Abyss, but the grammar and phrasing is inflecting a lack of awareness."
<Muirfinn> "So it's a place that descended into the Abyss?"
> "Hm. Valgadda keeps recurring. Burned said that the Father's book could only be destroyed at dawn in Valgadda. That further suggests the Father has something to do with the state of that land." Sage Vul'lath adds.
> "It's possible," Canderella says, "It's hard to drag parts of other planes into another, but it's not impossible." Tapping her finger on the page, "That could be one way to interpret it."
> "If it's oblivion, that could also mean the Negative Energy Plane," Sylvie speaksup, "It's sometimes referred to as oblivion. There's the Goddess of Oblivion..." Here Sylvie's pallor pales slightly, "But it doesn't sound right to me."
<Muirfinn> "Hm? Shar?" Muirfinn asks. "Might she have a hand in this as well?"
> "I'd like to review it," Elder Magi Tepen says, "Vul'lath, the two of us with divinations on information in this book could unearth more," he says, "While the rest of you continue researching."
> "I doubt it," Sylvie squirms a bit, looking away, "It's not her style and..." Trailing off, "I guess it's a hunch, but it doesn't feel right."
* Muirfinn nods.
> "It could also be poetic or allusional to something else," Sylvie says, "Let's not go making assumptions or dragging other evils into this yet. I'm going to go back to reading," she says, goign to do just that.
<Muirfinn> "Yes, quite. If it turns out that she IS connected, we'll ferret it out."
> It's only another few hours until something breaks. In particular Sylvie looks up, "Got something," she says, "It's about Valgadda and Kin'anh'o."
> "Finally," Ellese murmurs, breaking her silent helping of Vul'lath.
<Muirfinn> "Let's hear it." Muirfinn says, balancing seven books steadily on his head as his beak holds a position in an eigth.
> Blinking at Muirfinn, "Why do you have books on your head?" she asks, eyes going up to them.
* Ithea is now known as Merc
<Muirfinn> "Because it was convenient to hold them there."
> Sylvie gives Muirfinn a long look, before rubbing her eyes. "I need a break after this," she says, "Boiled down, it says the last record of Valgadda (Which is No More) was entrusted to the Curator of Kin'anh'o."
* Muirfinn snorts. "So what is Kin'anh'o?"
> "It's deep in Ocanthus, the final layer of Acheron," Sylvie says, "It mentions that in particular. Curator suggess it's a museum of some sort. Maybe a fiendish museum?" Humming at that, "Curious image, and the location's terrible to get to. The location's deadly."
<Muirfinn> "Fantastic."
> "Hmph." Sylvie leans back and stretches, "Kin'anh'o sounds like it's going to be a bother. We could take Aurora there, and it would protect us against the storms," he says, "But it would make us a giant target. A single party there is under much more danger because of the location conditions. It's called a bladestorm - imagine lots of black ice shards blending you up into blood and bone."
> "More than that," Ellese speaks up quietly, "You'd need something to please the Curator ultroloth."
> "Hm? How'd you know that?" Sylvie t urns to her, "The book didn't say anything about a yugoloth."
<Muirfinn> "Oh?"
> Ellese looks away, voice soft as she answers, "I dream about things. Nightmares. The faceless, all consuming evil that ultroloths represent is something the lawful hierarchy of Baator respects."
> Exhaling slowly through her nose, "Mmm, I can see why," she finally says, "Did your nightmare show you anything else?"
> Shaking her head slowly, "I remembered it when you mentioned about that curator." Quietly stepping back, "That's all."
* Muirfinn shakes his head. "Another hurdle."
> "Things are never easy," Sylvie admits, "I doubt we want to give a creature like that anything. I wonder if going in and sacking the place is realistic?" Hmming lightly to herself, "21 would make short of of an ultroloth, no matter how powerful it is."
<Muirfinn> "It could be. There's really nothing they could counter it with." Muirfinn says, tapping his beak.
> "I could use ab reak. How about we get a few of us, some protections and see about finding Kin'anh'o?" Sylvie suggests, "Maybe get Ithea again?"
* Muirfinn nods. "A good idea. I could use a break myself."
* Muirfinn wabbles his head, sending books falling to the floor.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

[19:30] <@Kotono> ---
[19:32] <@Kotono> The three gather just inside Aurora's gate, prepared and buffed up for the trial ahead. Sylvie cracks her knuckles, "So," speaking casually, "We do have means of stopping the bladestorms of black ice, don't we?"
[19:35] <Ithea> "I figured Muirfinn had one before he sent us there," Ithea says with a shrug, before looking back at Muirfinn for confirmation. He's the one that organized this after all.
[19:36] <Muirfinn> "Attune Form?" Muirfinn shrugs.
[19:36] <@Kotono> "Alright, just making sure," Sylvie says, stepping outside, "I like not being sliced into minced meat." Once outside in Air, "Gating us?"
[19:37] * Ithea ponders on whether Attune Form would be enough defense! (OOC: K:P, spellcraft, etc to check?)
[19:37] * Muirfinn steps up to the girls, tapping them each with a wand, and lastly himself. "We should be fine, and yes I will Gate us in. If we are not fine, we turn around and return."
[19:37] <@Kotono> OOC: K:P.
[19:38] <Muirfinn> OOC: Attune Form on everyone, CL 17 for 24 hours.
[19:39] <Ithea> roll d20+37 K:P
[19:39] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+37 K:P and gets 50." [d20=13]
[19:41] <Ithea> "I think we should be fine with those protections for the most part. Just keep an eye out for any particularly nasty looking chunks of black ice, those could get true maybe," Ithea comments. "But yeah, I think we'll be okay. All of us have good reflexes and should be able to avoid those."
[19:42] * Muirfinn nods. "Shall we proceed out into Air then?"
[19:42] <@Kotono> "Let's go," Sylvie says, as the party steps out. OOC: Go ahead and open your Gate/declare where you're opening it to and shit.
[19:43] * Muirfinn sets himself. "Any particular place on this plane we have as a reference?"
[19:46] <@Kotono> "Aim for something close to it, see if that works?" Sylvie suggests, "I doubt we can teleport in, but if we can get close...?"
[19:46] <Ithea> "The guy's doorstep would be nice if you can imagine it, though I doubt you have that much detail," Ithea says wrily. "All I know is Ocanthus, and that's it."
[19:47] * Muirfinn nods, focusing on the place itself as he opens a Gate!
[19:49] <@Kotono> Ahead, a Gate opens! A whirling expanse of black ice can be seen, and through it the shadowed outline of some sort of structure. Everything else is utter darkness.
[19:50] <Muirfinn> "This is still better than the Abyss." Muirfinn says, stepping through.
[19:51] <Ithea> "That doesn't say much, but agreed," Ithea comments for her part as she wonders where they should go. "Hard to see anything, hell, let alone tell which way to go."
[19:54] <@Kotono> As you step through, you are in a whirling bladestorm of hellish ice! Before you can do anything, the shards of ice are on you, tumbling and whirling about like a blade barrier!
[19:55] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+28 vs all your ACs
[19:55] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+28 vs all your ACs and gets 31." [1d20=3]
[19:55] <Ithea> ooc: I'm okay!
[19:55] <Muirfinn> OOC: Not even close!
[19:56] <@Kotono> Dodging. You immediately dodge and rely on your defenses, avoiding the initial assault of the blade storm! Everything seems choked with icy shards! You stand on black ice, ahead a faint glimmering darkness, as if inviting you along a path. It leads to ahead - some sort of structure, but you can't make out any details. OOC: You're under constant assault by the bladestorm, and it's strong
[19:56] <@Kotono> enough to penetrate Attune Form. Round by round here, so declare what you're doing. Spending time talking or deliberating will pass enough time for another attack.
[19:57] <Muirfinn> "Stay or go, now's the time to decide!"
[19:58] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+33 concentration to hold Gate open, since it's happy fun time on this side
[19:58] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+33 concentration to hold Gate open, since it's happy fun time on this side and gets 39." [1d20=6]
[20:00] <Ithea> "Unless you can think of a different spot with less heavy black ice, this may not work well," Ithea says, trying to swipe away some of the black ice around them with her scythe. It may not do anything, but she figures worst case, she can survive a round of it.
[20:00] <@Kotono> "Are you in charge?" Sylvie nearly doubles over to avoid a large shard, "I say we stay and go for it!" As you talk, the bladestorm continues around you!
[20:00] <Ithea> ooc: glaive, not scythe. Blegh
[20:00] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+29 (+1 one miss) ACs?
[20:00] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+29 (+1 one miss) ACs? and gets 31." [1d20=2]
[20:00] <@Kotono> OOC: Carry on.
[20:00] <Muirfinn> OOC: I'm good
[20:01] <@Kotono> You manage to push away more black ice, dodging and glaiving away enough of it to stay unshredded - for now!
[20:01] <@Kotono> *aren't you in charge
[20:01] <Muirfinn> "Let's chance it! We can always come back later if it gets too rough!" Muirfinn says, forging ahead.
[20:03] <Ithea> "You have no sense of self preservation," Ithea comments with a roll of her eyes, as she slashes away, cutting away a path in front of her.
[20:03] <@Kotono> "Have your luck counter ready if this goes to shit," Sylvie calls to Ithea, following ahead! As yo udo...
[20:03] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+30 (+2 two misses) AC?
[20:03] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+30 (+2 two misses) AC? and gets 36." [1d20=6]
[20:03] <Ithea> ooc: still okay
[20:04] <Muirfinn> OOC AC is 52 right now
[20:05] <@Kotono> But again the party dodges!  You dodge as you run ahead, yet the building ahead does not get any closer! As this happens...(More)
[20:05] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+31 (+3 3 misses) ACs?
[20:05] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+31 (+3 3 misses) ACs? and gets 38." [1d20=7]
[20:06] <@Kotono> roll 10d6 (cold damage omitted since she has res 30) Sylvie
[20:06] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d6 (cold damage omitted since she has res 30) Sylvie and gets 44." [10d6=5, 3, 6, 2, 4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 1]
[20:07] * Ithea grabs onto the other two and tries teleporting them closer to the structure!
[20:12] <Muirfinn> "...oh. It seems we're on a loop. We're never going to get there if we follow this." Muirfinn abruptly turns left!
[20:13] <@Kotono> As you do, Sylvie gets a shard right in the shoulder! She winces at it, blood freezing solid the moment it leaves her body! Then Ithea begins to teleport...OOC: CL check on the teleport, Ithea.
[20:15] <Ithea> roll d20+22 (add +2CL if bonus to overcome SR applies, +5 from spell power too if hitting the black ice counts for that ability)
[20:15] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+22 (add +2CL if bonus to overcome SR applies, +5 from spell power too if hitting the black ice counts for that ability) and gets 29." [d20=7]
[20:16] <@Kotono> There's a tremendous rippling in the spell! Ithea feels it activating, but it is as if another person is controlling it! Her eyes widen as pure instinct takes over, throwing the last syllable off! The spell collapses, slipping both out of your grasp and the grasp of the force that attempted to take it!
[20:19] <Ithea> "Teleporting didn't work. Keep trying, or do we want to get out now?" Ithea asks, as she instead casts blink while waiting for a comment from the other two. Right after casting her spell, she tries to detect magic, already planning to observe how to get out of this loop, no doubt expecting the others to answer to keep going.
[20:19] <@Kotono> OOC: Staying with your going to the left thing, Muirfinn?
[20:20] <Muirfinn> OOC: Yep. Maybe I can go around the loop.
[20:20] <@Kotono> OOC: That's your second action and the shards are coming first, Ithea. Lemme resolve those before your spell goes off, since if you get hit it'll require a concentration check.
[20:20] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+28 ACs/
[20:20] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+28 ACs/ and gets 35." [1d20=7]
[20:21] <Ithea> ooc: nope
[20:21] <@Kotono> Leaping left with Muirfinn, the party hurries along! Somehow you all dodge the greatsword-like shards of ice, hopping to the side! It causes your perspective to shift oddly, then you're racing ahead to the darkened place ahead! As you do Ithea casts to see the magic of this place...OOC: Yes there's magic. Spellcraft and I'll give details.
[20:22] <Ithea> roll d20+35+3 inspiration
[20:22] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+35+3 inspiration and gets 47." [d20=9]
[20:23] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+50
[20:23] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+50 and gets 57." [1d20=7]
[20:26] <@Kotono> OOC: Did you use DM as well, Muirfinn?
[20:26] <Muirfinn> OOC: Assuming that TS allows me to see it. If not, feel free to ignore.
[20:27] <@Kotono> OOC: It doesn't.
[20:33] <Ithea> "There's a repulsion effect ahead, the bladestorm is enchanted, and something here is attempting to hijack teleport spells, it wasn't just a failure. I'm going to risk trying to teleport us past the repulsion effect, be prepared for anything in case I can't get past whatever's acting against us!" Ithea warns the others as she tries to teleport them again, this time ready to fight the
[20:33] <Ithea> force acting against them.
[20:33] <@Kotono> As Ithea prepares to cast, the blades come again, endlessly seeking blood!
[20:33] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+29 (+1 1 miss) ACs?
[20:33] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+29 (+1 1 miss) ACs? and gets 48." [1d20=19]
[20:34] <Muirfinn> OOC: It's gonna haveta crit me
[20:34] <Ithea> ooc: hit if blink doesn't help. AC is 46
[20:34] <@Kotono> roll 1d100
[20:34] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 36." [1d100=36]
[20:34] <@Kotono> OOC: What's the miss chance on blink?
[20:35] <@Kotono> roll 10d6 Sylvie she is not having a good day, miss chance on blink is 50% so you're safe
[20:35] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d6 Sylvie she is not having a good day, miss chance on blink is 50% so you're safe and gets 33." [10d6=2, 1, 1, 6, 5, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4]
[20:36] <@Kotono> As you prepare, Sylvie gets another shard, this one in the hip! She hisses as it slams in, as Ithea casts! OOC: Spellcraft.
[20:37] <Ithea> ooc: I'll use Skill Mastery and take 12. So I get 47
[20:39] <@Kotono> The spell is cast! It's like playing mental and magical tug-a-rope, struggling against the powerful control! Ithea's breathing quickens as she concentrates, until the spell obeys HER! You rush ahead in an instant, finding yourself before a great, gaping entrance. The building is little more than hidden shadows here, but ahead is the gaping maw of a vast snake. It leads to dimness inside,
[20:39] <@Kotono> and within is dark red light. 30ft ahead it looks to open into a room. Standing within it is something that looks like a supersized bug larvae, save for a fleshy neck and head coming out of it. The neck and head are a dull reddish color, matching the light. It simply stares ahead. OOC: Act.
[20:41] <Ithea> ooc: do we still have black ice around us, or do we have some breathing space and such?
[20:45] <@Kotono> OOC: Breathing space.
[20:45] <Muirfinn> "...You know, I'm tempted to blast first and ask questions later." Muirfinn says.
[20:48] <@Kotono> Sylvie winces as she holds her bloodied shoulder, "Vicious things," she mutters under her breath, taking a moment ot heal her wounds with a quiet prayer.
[20:48] <@Kotono> roll 3d8+15
[20:48] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 3d8+15 and gets 30." [3d8=3, 6, 6]
[20:48] <Ithea> "Going out back there will be annoying if we don't take care of the force ensorcering the bladestorm," Ithea says, as she flicks Sylvie in the forehead. "Your own fault they went after you. Clearly they went after the cockiest one first."
[20:49] <@Kotono> "Hah," Sylvie just winces as her wounds heal, "No sense attacking the underlings if they don't attack us. If we can reach this Curator without a fight, all the better."
[20:50] <@Kotono> After a moment she repeats her healing, same verse as the first!
[20:50] <@Kotono> roll 3d8+15
[20:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 3d8+15 and gets 28." [3d8=6, 2, 5]
[20:53] <@Kotono> As Sylvie's wounds further heal, "So are we going in?" she asks, looking at both of her companions.
[20:54] <Muirfinn> "Whenever you're ready."
[20:55] <@Kotono> "I'm ready," Sylvie says.
[20:55] * Muirfinn heads onward then!
[20:56] * Ithea examines the giant snake, wondering if it's something living that was preserved, or just a building by someone with an odd sense of architecture.
[20:56] <@Kotono> OOC: K: A&E real quick, Ithea.
[20:57] <Ithea> roll d20+17 K:A&E
[20:57] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+17 K:A&E and gets 29." [d20=12]
[20:59] <@Kotono> As you head within, everything is tinted a dull, dark red. You pass into the room. It's a simple 30ft by 30ft room, mostly empty. The walls are of black stone of some sort, that seems to drink in everything and emit the red darkness, as is the floor. Your footsteps make no sound on this stone at all. The larvae-creature stays where it is, yet speaks in a whimperingly subserviant voice,
[20:59] <@Kotono> "I am a worm honored to have the chance to serve visitors to Kin'anh'o. What can this lowly worm do to serve you, Masters?"
[20:59] <Ithea> "Wonder who'd build a stone snake building. Weird stuff," Ithea comments, as she approaches the larvae thing, and she starts to examine the creature, surprised to hear it speak.
[20:59] * Muirfinn starts. "It's alive!"
[21:00] <@Kotono> OOC: K:P here if you care to.
[21:00] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+44 Sylvie will
[21:00] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44 Sylvie will and gets 55." [1d20=11]
[21:00] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
[21:00] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 29." [1d20=7]
[21:01] <@Kotono> "Though unworthy, I live," It mewls, "At the pleasure of my dread Master." It shrinks back, "Please do not kill me." It's voice becomes utterly subserviant, kneeling down to kiss and slobber over Muirfinn's feet.
[21:01] <Ithea> roll d20+42 K:P
[21:01] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+42 K:P and gets 56." [d20=14]
[21:01] * Muirfinn backs up a step. "Whoa, easy there. If you're not hostile, I see no reason to harm you."
[21:02] <@Kotono> Sylvie quietly steps back, "Though it would be a mercy,"
[21:02] <@Kotono>  OOC: Gah.
[21:03] <@Kotono> Sylvie quietly steps back, "Though it would be a mercy," she says with an unhidden note of disdain, while the thing looks up, "Thank you, Master! Then how may I serve you?"
[21:04] <Muirfinn> "Perhaps, but it is not our place to do so." Muirfinn says. "If it clings to life, who are we to deny it so?"
[21:04] <Ithea> "What's responsible for the bladestorm? And for messing with teleportation?" Ithea asks, trying to fish some answers, leaving the larvae for Muirfinn to pet or whatever the hell he wants to do with it.
[21:05] <@Kotono> "A life of torment and torture," Sylvie points out, as the creature perks up. "That is the work of the Master!"
[21:06] <Ithea> "What master?"
[21:06] * Muirfinn taps his beak, nodding at Sylvie. "Perhaps. Or perhaps it is merely a damned soul, one who strayed too far from the path of goodness and found itself here."
[21:07] <@Kotono> "The MASTER," It says, voice stronger, "The Curator," It adds after a moment, before slamming its face down into the dirt. It speaks something next that's too muffled to make out, but it sounds utterly piteous. When it looks up its facial features are broken and bleeding, voice lightly distorted, "D-d-do you w-w-w-w-want to talk to the M-m-master?"
[21:08] <@Kotono> "Then best to purge it before it becomes a stronger fiend," Sylvie says, becoming colder in her voice. "But nevermind that now."
[21:11] * Muirfinn nods. "Your master will suffice."
[21:13] <@Kotono> On your affirmative reply, the fiend's face becomes stricken with utter terror. It acts as if to scream, but no sound comes from its mouth. Instead there is the sinewous sound of his facial features shifting, becoming a rough and yet perfectly smooth slab of blank flesh instead of a face. The voice that comes is hardly a voice. It's a chilling shiver that crawls up from your tailbone,
[21:13] <@Kotono> up your spine and to your brain. It echos in there like the rustling of trees at night. 'What do you desire, my esteemed guests?'
[21:13] * Muirfinn raises an eyebrow.
[21:15] <@Kotono> Sylvie's face sets into a grimace, posture becoming rigid.
[21:16] <Ithea> "Many things, but only one thing of that which is in your possession, I believe," Ithea replies.
[21:16] <Muirfinn> "We seek the last record of Valgadda (which is no more)."
[21:18] <@Kotono> As you speak, the larvae part of the piteous, blankfaced creature begins to turn a throbbing red. Its flesh bursts in several places, foul yellow pus trickling out. The smell is tremendously sickening, like a corpse rotting in the sun. 'The Codex...' It hisses, 'So has the Father awoken?'
[21:20] <Muirfinn> "Yes, or is awakening. He has begun to touch the planes, even into Elysium." Muirfinn snorts, doing his best to ignore the stench. "It is becoming most tiresome, and I wish to find a way to annihilate him."
[21:22] <@Kotono> Before you the larvae begins to fall apart. Flesh become pus, crumbling into a puddle of sickening, vile odors. Yet the neck and head stay floating in the air, even as they begin to blacken, so dark that the red light here becomes black around it. 'This vessel cannot sustain me sufficiently long for negotiations.' Ahead of you, the back wall becomes a shifting void of darkness, 'We will
[21:22] <@Kotono> negotiate elsewhere.' OOC: Fort saves, all. This is poison, so immunity or bonuses to it apply.
[21:22] <@Kotono> roll 1d20+41 (+12 Inspiration) Sylvie
[21:22] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+41 (+12 Inspiration) Sylvie and gets 46." [1d20=5]
[21:22] <Muirfinn> OOC: Immune!
[21:23] <Ithea> roll d20+31+9 inspiration
[21:23] * Hatbot --> "Ithea rolls d20+31+9 inspiration and gets 58." [d20=18]
[21:24] <@Kotono> The smell is that of utter death, a toxin thick in the air. Yet somehow Ithea and Sylvie throw it off, despite beathing it in! OOC: Act.
[21:25] <@Kotono> A moment later, the head and neck fall to the ground. They quickly liquefy into pus, with a whimpering, gurgling cry of, "Massteeerrrr!"
[21:27] <Ithea> "Negotiate where, really? And did the Curator just try to poison us, blowing up his minion?" Ithea asks, frowning.
[21:28] <@Kotono> "I'd say that," Sylvie jerks a thumb at the back wall, gagging adn coughing after, "It's probably a - HACK - portal."
[21:28] <Muirfinn> "Perhaps it was a test." He says, nudging the larva with a scaly foot.
[21:28] <@Kotono> It's nothing but oozy pus now, nothing solid felt.
[21:29] * Muirfinn turns to the portal. "Well, let's give it a try then."
[21:30] * Ithea frowns. "I almost wonder if that leads to wherever the hijacked teleport spells would go. Any protection spells we can use before we step through that either of you think we could use here? I've got nothing to offer unfortunately."
[21:31] <@Kotono> "Hero-" Sylvie coughs and moves further away from the pus, "Heroism. Death Ward. Freedom of Movement."
[21:32] <Ithea> "Can you cast all that? Or can Muirfinn?" Ithea asks, moving closer to examine the portal, but not yet stepping true.
[21:33] <Muirfinn> "I have two Death Wards prepared." Muirfinn says.
[21:33] <@Kotono> "I can," Sylvie quickly replies.
[21:33] <@Kotono> Sylvie quickly chants over herself, hlding her holy symbol tightly to her chest, "Ward yourself and Ithea, I have myself with Death Ward."
[21:33] * Muirfinn nods, casting the spells.
[21:35] <@Kotono> "Anything else," Sylvie says, pinching her nose shut after.
[21:36] <Muirfinn> "Not unless you're an animal." Muirfinn says.
[21:37] <Ithea> "Yeah, feel free to punch it in the face if negotiations involve anything disgusting," Ithea says before she steps through.
[21:39] * Muirfinn steps through the portal, then!
[21:40] <@Kotono> You stand on a massive claw, thrust up from the darkness. As if the only platform between you and an eternity of darkness, the palm of it smooth and easily a hundred feet wide. It is a fleshy palm, pallid gray. About are chairs, couchs and the like. Some are wondrously soft and comfortable looking, symbols of luxury and comfort. Others are bizarre, conforming ot dimensions that twist
[21:40] <@Kotono> and turn, and others have bloody spikes, hooks, blades or other such things built in, as if to torment he who sits. As you look about...too big. It's too big. There's too much space here for it to be right. Hundreds of feet wide and yet only a hundred feet wide. Your brains are yet placid, despite the utter perplexity of what lies before you.  A moment later, another larvae is before
[21:40] <@Kotono> you. It is identical to the last, groveling with its head in the dirt before you. "Masters may follow me. The Master will be here once today's session begins."
[21:43] * Muirfinn nods, following.
[21:43] <Ithea> "What exactly does the Curator run an exhibit of again, Muirfinn?" Ithea asks as she looks around, making a face at the sights.
[21:44] <@Kotono> You travel hundreds of feet through the maze of couches and bizarre, painful things. Across the hand a half dozen times and yet barely moving at all. You come to a rich red couch, looking to be made of leather. The entire thing looks expensive to the last, beautiful work even to an untrained eye. "Masters should sit here," The larvae instructs.
[21:44] <Muirfinn> "Ask Sylvie, she read the book."
[21:45] <@Kotono> "He's quite the varied collector," Sylvie says, "Terrible things, if the book is to be believed. An assortment of nightmares and things cast out of better places." Sylvie tentatively sits, before murmuring, "Mmmm..." A little soft sigh, "I suppose I can't fault his choice of furniture."
[21:46] <Muirfinn> "The couch might try to eat you." Muirfinn says helpfully. "It's red. Like muscle."
[21:47] <Ithea> "You two are weird."
[21:47] <Muirfinn> "Keeps us alive." Muirfinn says.
[21:48] <@Kotono> "It's comfortable," Sylvie retorts, sitting primly. Still, after a moment she rises, "You're right."
[21:48] <@Kotono> "As Masters wish." Then? The sound of a metal gong, echoing about. "Oh! Oh!" The larvae perks up, "The performance is beginning1"
[21:51] <Ithea> "What's the show?" Ithea asks, almost expecting that the answer will be them fighting something to the death. Would be par for course, after all.
[21:52] <Muirfinn> "Likely unpleasant." Muirfinn frowns.
[21:53] <@Kotono> It's the sound of a whip. The grinding of gears. The rusty creak of metal. The soft slicing of a blade. The wet tearing of flesh. The sharp cracking of bone. The whisper-quiet tearing of tendons. The sickeningly moist popping of eyeballs.  A symphony that lasts a few seconds before the screams begin. Screams from below, an absolute avalanche from below of them! Screams of utter agony,
[21:53] <@Kotono> slamming into your ears like a hammer blow. Yet your blank, stilled minds observe it with rationality, as the larvae turns, "If Masters want to enjoy, the point is to sit back and imagine the torments being inflicted below based on the screams! The torturers at work are artists, and if you follow along, you can identify the torments being used today. There's no fiery hissing, so they
[21:53] <@Kotono> aren't using the brands. Did Masters notice?"
[21:54] <@Kotono> Sylvie's face becomes blank and tight, "As a matter of fact, I did not," she says, calm in voice. Her fists ball up, "This happens every day?"
[21:55] * Muirfinn turns to Sylvie, his expression entirely cold and reptilian. "Have I ever told you about how little I like the lower planes?"
[21:57] <@Kotono> "It doesn't need to be said." Sylvie's voice is as cold as Muirfinn's expression.
[21:58] * Ithea just shakes her head and remains silent, even in the face (or sounds, as is the case) of such actions. The urge to greet the Curator with a polearm's blade to the face is rising, however.
[21:58] * Muirfinn bobs his head in agreement, thinking of happier places and times in an attempt to tune out the cacophany below.
[22:00] <@Kotono> Amid the screams, amid the hideous din from below? The softest hiss in the air draws your attention. The air near you splits open, as if cut. Emerging from it is a humanoi-no. It's a statue. A statue of pure diamond, man sized! Pure, perfect diamond, shined to a mirror gloss! Yet there are cracks all over it, cracks with leak droplets of foul yellow pus. It moves stiffly, a stilted bow,
[22:00] <@Kotono> 'You are still sane?' Slowly the creature cocks its diamond head to the side, 'You are mighty in magic or have looked deep into the horrors.' It's the same spine-shivering mental voice as before, 'I applaud you. You are worth a speck, unlike the vast majority of mortals.' Slowly the diamond-statue goes to sit on the red couch, pus slowly oozing down its body from the cracks.
[22:01] <Ithea> "The Curator of this place, I gather?" Ithea asks with a frown.
[22:02] <Muirfinn> "Lovely." Muirfinn says flatly.
[22:03] <@Kotono> 'Yes, I am the Curator,' It replies, with a mirth that makes your blood run cold and sharp as diamonds. A sharp cutting that flows into your veins and body, as if his words are slicing you apart from the inside. 'This is the fifth movement of the symphony of Balam's Fall. The skill to make the mortals below bleat in just the right way is the sign of a master torturer. Do you by chance
[22:03] <@Kotono> appreciate this performance?'
[22:05] * Muirfinn shakes his head. "Afraid not. We are wasting time, though. We have come for the last copy of Valgadda (which is no more)."
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

[19:54] <Kotono> The seemingly endless screams continue. The Curator does not. Instead he slowly turns his head towards the chasm of darkness past the claw. 'A pity. The arts are all that separate us from the demons. So you desire that troublesome Codex. What's in it for me?'
[19:57] <Muirfinn> "Our opinions on the arts differ, is all. As for your take, is not having to deal with the Father yourself not enough?"
[19:58] <Muirfinn> roll 1d20+38 diplo
[19:58] * Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+38 diplo and gets 50." [1d20=12]
[20:00] <Kotono> 'That is of little profit to me,' The Curator's head slowly returns to Muirfinn, 'The Father is no concern of mine. Demonspawn will exist no matter how many of them you cut down. Slaying one or a million is ultimately the same futile act.'
[20:00] <Kotono> "Oh, you're lying." Sylvie speaks with a disinterestedly cold air, "The Father is his concern."
[20:01] * Muirfinn nods at Sylvie. "She is never wrong. Come, let's be honest with each other. It's so much simpler for all of us to get what it is we want."
[20:06] <Kotono> The statue of diamond now leans forward, as a new crack appears on its forehead. Pus begins to leak down, the scent of rotting death growing stronger. 'I do not lie. But to humor you...The soul of a good man would be acceptable terms for me.'
[20:07] <Kotono> "That first part was a lie, in case it wasn't obvious." Sylvie adds, "Also, he's lying about the terms."
[20:09] <Ithea> "And in case another thing wasn't obvious? Trading souls, lives, any of that nonsense? Not happening ever," Ithea adds firmly.
[20:09] * Muirfinn nods. "She really cannot be lied to, Curator. Regardless, your terms are unacceptable."
[20:21] <Kotono> "Mmm-hmm. By the way, I can see all your sins." With a cold air, "You have no secrets from us, daemon. Muirfinn, would you like to know what he did to inherit this museum? He sold out knowledge of his Master to Baator. I wonder what your secrets would be worth?"
[20:22] <Muirfinn> "...Baator? As in, consorting with devils?"
[20:25] <Kotono> The diamond statue manages to glare. How it does it doesn't make sense, as the cracks on it expand. 'How?' it asks as chills pass up your spine.
[20:25] <Kotono> "Muirfinn," Sylvie says, "What do you think of how we found out is worth to us?"
[20:26] <Muirfinn> "It's a long, complicated, and unpleasant process that I understand required spending time on and defeating an entire layer of the Abyss. More or less. Let's not go into detail. From what I've heard, even you would find it unpleasant."
[20:34] <Kotono> The glare doesn't relent, but the daemon's voice is  far less pleasant. 'This will not be forgotten,' He intones. Before you appears an ancient, weathered scroll. It looks ready to fall apart at any moment, hovering in the air.
[20:36] * Muirfinn unrolls the scroll, looking it over.
[20:37] <Ithea> "So, we got what we came for, it seems," Ithea comments, as she turns to Muirfinn. "Right?"
[20:38] <Kotono> The script is in archaic Common. But it looks authentic on a glance. OOC: Just inspecting or actually reading.
[20:39] <Muirfinn> OOC: I'll skim it, looking for veracity.
[20:39] <Kotono> OOC: You can confirm that it is the Codex, based on the fragments you've seen before.
[20:41] <Muirfinn> "This appears legitimate. Would any of you care to have a look?"
[20:43] <Kotono> "Let's get back first?" Sylvie says, her eyes on the slowly cracking diamond statue before you. "Where we can concentrate without screaming."
[20:43] * Muirfinn nods. "We will take our leave of you then, Curator."
[20:43] <Kotono> 'Leave this place. Your dimensional magics will see you out from this room. Open a Gate if you can.' The Curator hisses.
[20:44] <Ithea> "That would be nice, although I don't really care about reading that thing," Ithea comments, as she looks around. Is the shadowy portal still around, or do they need to figure out their own way out?
[20:44] * Muirfinn opens a Gate to Air!
[20:45] <Kotono> OOC: Going to head back and read the Codex, I assume?
[20:45] <Muirfinn> OOC: Yep.
[20:47] <Kotono> From there it is a quick trip to the library. There, amid the ever-light of Aurora, you sit down and begin to read the Codex! (Nagging post, go read that and reply in here.)
[20:54] * Muirfinn looks up from the scroll. "Well...that makes things significantly more difficult."
[20:57] <Ithea> "No good news?"
[20:57] <Kotono> Sylvie reads over Muirfinn's shoulder, "We do have a few advantages that this poor soul didn't," Sylvie says, "Aurora and 21 are the biggest. We aren't a delepeted world down to its last heroes."
[20:57] <Kotono> *depleted.
[20:58] <Muirfinn> "Not overwhelmingly so, though. The Father cannot be destroyed with a normal weapon. He will consume them as they touch him. We need a weapon forged by a creature borne of neither mother or father.  We know of one other creature that came about by natural coalescense. Mirajane. Should she grow into adulthood soon, she could craft a weapon with sufficient strength to destroy the Father."
[20:59] <Muirfinn> "If I recall correctly, she is a child borne of hope." Muirfinn chuckles. "That she terrfied the devils containing her is delightful."
[21:00] <Kotono> "That," A pause to blink-blink as Sylvie hums, "That's a marvelously good idea, Muirfinn."
[21:00] <Muirfinn> "I do occasionally have one or two."
[21:01] <Muirfinn> "And coupled with the possibility of using 21 as discouragement from flight, I do believe this is an accomplishable goal."
[21:02] <Kotono> "We
[21:02] * Ithea resists making the crack about stopped clocks, no matter how easy it would be here. Instead, she reviews over the material herself, frowning. "Well, damn, I'd be pretty poor help in a fight against him," she finally comments.
[21:02] <Muirfinn> "Not if Mirajane makes you a new bladestick!"
[21:02] <Kotono> "We'll need to research this ritual more. The one about freeing him at dawn," Sylvie says, "If we can empower it further, it could weaken the Father. For that matter, at the least, we want the ritual absolutely correct."
[21:03] * Muirfinn nods.
[21:03] <Muirfinn> "I grow concerned. If the book Ithea read is the book the Father is sealed in, then we're okay. Probably. If it's not...we've got to find it."
[21:04] <Kotono> "We can prepare, Ithea. We can make you more useful," Sylvie turns to her, solemn, "We have the advantage of time to prepare. If the Father faces anything less than an overwhelming force arrayed against him, we've failed."
[21:04] <Kotono> "That's a good thought. I doubt that nameless man's holy symbol was a recipe book, but it could have been corrupted over the centuries," Sylvie comments.
[21:06] <Muirfinn> "You know, the text mentioned that he was an Oghman. If anyone would know where it is, Oghma probably would."
[21:07] <Kotono> "Oghma knows everything," Sylvie says as she walks over to a chair, going to sit, "We were considering a trip to his realm at one point, but it didn't materialize."
[21:08] <Muirfinn> "Still up for going?"
[21:12] <Kotono> "If you don't mind," A voice cuts in. Mirajane approaches, all grown up.  Her skin is pale as cream, her hair a brighter red than Jaela's. It falls to the floor in waves. Her wings are longer than she is tall, reaching a good seven feet out. She wears robes of white and shining armor, "The truth is that I've been waiting for this," she says, "You need my help in stopping an evil?"
[21:14] * Muirfinn peers at her before the ends of his mouth curl upward in a smile. "Mirajane? All grown up at last. You have excellent timing."
[21:16] <Kotono> "Huh," Sylvie finally says, "Ithea, I think we need to learn how to time things from her. That was amazing timing."
[21:17] <Kotono> "The truth is that it isn't timing, but seeing," Mirajane answers, "If you need weapons forged by my hand, I will seek to learn blacksmithing."
[21:18] <Ithea> "We have one of the best to learn from in Afina," Ithea comments with a nod. "It would be helpful definitely."
[21:18] * Muirfinn nods. "It would be most helpful. If you can forge us weapons that we are familiar with, then we will have a greater advantage in destroying the Father."
[21:21] <Kotono> "I will," Mirajane smiles warmly to them, "Be blessed for the danger you undertake, so that others are safe."
[21:24] <Muirfinn> "That's the point of it all, isn't it?" Muirfinn says with a hissing laugh, addressing the group as a whole. "Okay, so we need to do this at dawn on hallowed ground. If we can come up with something MORE...like ACTUAL ground that's holy, like from Celestia. Maybe we can borrow a large chunk of earth from one of the Mounting Heavens? Get a god to bless it?"
[21:24] <Muirfinn> "If the Father is borne of the Abyss, then he is likely a creature of evil and chaos. If we can directly counteract that, it could level the playing field."
[21:26] <Kotono> "Burned also said it needed to be at Valgadda," Sylvie speaks up, "Mmmm. I say we do our homework first. Get our weapons and hit the books on this ritual, trying to find Valgadda and all that."
[21:28] <Muirfinn> "Ah yes, good memory. I'd forgotten about him." Muirfinn says. "So we'd need to do it there, if we can find it. I don't doubt that it will be unpleasant, if it is a world nearly consumed by the Father."
[21:29] <Kotono> "Yes. Oh and Elena," Mirajane speaks up, "Tell Mother and Grandmother to stop worrying. I'm needed here."
[21:32] <Kotono> Sylvie just blinks at that again, "Yeaaaah. That one I'm going to count on divinations to find."
[21:33] * Muirfinn nods. "Probably for the best."
[21:37] <Kotono> "We'll need to straighten that all out," Sylvie says, sitting back now. "But for now?" Raising an imaginary cup up, "To a successful next step forward."
[21:38] <Muirfinn> "And we didn't even have to spend time razing the Curator's library!" Muirfinn mimics the gesture. "Though I rather want to, anyway."
[21:43] <Ithea> "And have to keep listening to his so-called symphony? No thanks," Ithea says. "Quick and out worked out well, I say."
[21:45] <Kotono> "One evil at a time," Sylvie says, "Besides, I'm not sure it would have been so easy to kill him. He was possessing things to function with us. He reminds me more of a ghost than a yugoloth."
[21:45] * Muirfinn nods. "Let's not get carried away, though. It is no time to celebrate. We can do that when we're done."
[21:46] <Muirfinn> "If we knock over his fancy building and burn everything to ash, I'm sure he'd eventually have to come and chat with us face to face."
[21:48] <Kotono> "Still," Glancing over at Ithea, "I'm up to stretching my legs."
[21:48] <Kotono> "Then it will be done," Mirajane says, "You will have your weapons." With that she turns and goes.