It is a very sunny day.

Main Menu

Pub chat

Started by Anastasia, December 26, 2012, 11:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 05, 2013, 06:52:24 PM
Question on Teamwork Attacks:

1) Can more than one person participate in a team attack?
1a) If yes, do all parties need to match rolls, or just two?

Example: Morrie, Santos, and Lehko team attack.

Morrie rolls 1, 2
Santos rolls 3, 4
Lehko rolls 3, 5

Does the team attack succeed, or fail?

It says two or more can participate, so yes. To the second point, it's a little vague. It refers to matching pairs but doesn't really address if this applies to 3+ people teamups. I'll say you just need one pair for now, since it involves holding in combat anyway.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

I read it somewhere on the game thread actually.

The consensus is that for a teamwork attack to succeed, all attacks must hit and that two numbers must match. So more people participating gives you more chances at matching die. The issue is that if you don't have an automatic hit attack like a spell, there's more chances to fail, and when you fail with a teamwork attack, everyone misses.

So in Neph's example, the team work attack would fail, because Morrie would presumably fail with a roll of 2d6+1, giving him 4 ACC roll. Even though Santos and Lehko both have a matching number, even if they both hit, the teamwork attack would fail.

It's worth noting as well that teamwork attacks will work with spells according to that thread, so Mycol could cast a spell and Santos attack, call it a teamwork attack, and in the case of the spell since they're auto-hits, you compare the damage die with Santos' attack roll.

So generally, low accuracy players either need to use auto-success moves in teamwork attacks, or stay out of them.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

That is really stupid! (and gives us less reason to use those attacks...)

Merc

Dust has said he plans to do some rework on them.

But there's a reason why I was thinking of going for Synergist on paradigm shift. If a teamwork attack fails, only mine fails then, other attacks that would hit still hit.

And again, note that we have two dual wielders, so we have reroll abilities. Mycol is a spellcaster too, so he has stuff that can auto-hit.

You're the one that's generally in the crappiest position due to needing attack rolls and having low accuracy.

Nephrite

I can always just heal during those times, it's not a really big issue.

Nephrite

Does the party plan on taking on Shiva in the next session? If so, we should get some Ice Ward stuff made before then.

Merc

I say we might as well check and see if we can hit a level-up before we leave the area, otherwise sure? Dune did mention we might get one more before they started slowing up more.

Ebenezer's still researching around though, so I'm sure we'll be in the area for a while still.

Nephrite

I just didn't want to waste time deciding in-character if we all agree out of character to go back and try again.

Merc

Well, I'm up for it if people want to.

I'll actually be better in this fight simply because of the ice ward on the flame saber that I was dumb about last time, and we do have better strategy with the bomb fragments and such.

Nephrite

I say we do the feast if we all agree to do it, then rest up and go back.

Merc

Since I know I almost forgot...  Reminder! We game tonight, not Tuesday!

Dune/Neph will probably want to remind VSM since he doesn't frequent the boards heavily.

Iron Dragoon

I'm down for re-doing the Shiva fight. We need to buy, or I need to make, some Ice Ward/Immunity food before then.

I burnt through a decent bit of Gil making weapons, so let me look up and discuss with Dune how to get it done before game start.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

This came up in PM with a few people, so I'll make this ruling now. As it stands, 200 gil can make you a session long status immunity food. General agreement was that this wasn't well balanced, so I'm changing that to resistance instead.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Does that make 4, like the other foodstuff creations?