News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Cell Saga Discussion thread

Started by Grahf, July 23, 2013, 04:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahf

Bringer of Death has released one final chapter to cap out the Cell Saga before going for an indeterminate hiatus.

Spoiler: ShowHide
It was good to see that Vegeta's sacrifice in this story was actually meaningful, in that it allowed a defeat of Cell, rather than Majin Buu just shrugging it off pretty much effortlessly. With Vegeta and Goku now both dead, it will be curious to see where the story goes from here once it picks back up.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Grahf on July 23, 2013, 04:43:46 AM
Bringer of Death has released one final chapter to cap out the Cell Saga before going for an indeterminate hiatus.

Well that's unfortunate.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

I'm surprised the authors lasted that long before needing a long hiatus. 10k words a week for over a year is an insane pace.

I lost a lot of interest in the story around when Gohan lost and Vegeta came back to save the day. It felt like it cheapened everything else, overplayed the Vegeta card and was one too many times of Cell surviving impossible odds. It's recovered slightly and I agree that at least the sacrifice was meaningful. Afterlife adventures with Goku and Vegeta could be good, plus a Gohan that keeps up his training will be a nice change of pace.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Grahf

Quote from: Anastasia on July 23, 2013, 01:12:17 PM
I'm surprised the authors lasted that long before needing a long hiatus. 10k words a week for over a year is an insane pace.

I lost a lot of interest in the story around when Gohan lost and Vegeta came back to save the day. It felt like it cheapened everything else, overplayed the Vegeta card and was one too many times of Cell surviving impossible odds. It's recovered slightly and I agree that at least the sacrifice was meaningful. Afterlife adventures with Goku and Vegeta could be good, plus a Gohan that keeps up his training will be a nice change of pace.

I find it hard to disagree with your stance.

I was pretty disappointed about Gohan failing to kill Cell himself, even though I knew that Vegeta would be interjected into the battle somehow. I do get where the author is coming from when he went this route, but it was still disheartening. I would like to say that maybe Gohan will have a moment in the sun at a later point because of this, but at the same time I really can't be sure of anything.

Anastasia

Quote from: Grahf on July 23, 2013, 02:10:14 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on July 23, 2013, 01:12:17 PM

I find it hard to disagree with your stance.

I was pretty disappointed about Gohan failing to kill Cell himself, even though I knew that Vegeta would be interjected into the battle somehow. I do get where the author is coming from when he went this route, but it was still disheartening. I would like to say that maybe Gohan will have a moment in the sun at a later point because of this, but at the same time I really can't be sure of anything.

Yep, nested quote time.

I do think the author's going somewhere with it after this chapter. If this is used as a motivation for a non-ChiChied Gohan, and it will according to his note at the end, that at least makes it mean something. There's apparently going to be 2-3 arcs in the time between this and Majin Buu, so I'm hoping Gohan gets his chances then. I sort of suspect Bojack - which has been confirmed as happening despite King Kai's planet surviving intact - will be keeping Goku and Vegeta busy while something new on Earth keeps Gohan and company busy.

I'm also marking time until Piccolo absorbs his clone and uses the Cell DNA to upgrade himself. I figure that's how he'll be competitive in the later arcs.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

You guys didn't share a link for this fic? :p
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Grahf

Bringer of Death

There is a very sharp increase in quality and length of chapters after about the first nine chapters. That's not to say that the first nine are awful, but it's pretty clear that they really get into the groove after that.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 23, 2013, 12:03:49 PM
Quote from: Grahf on July 23, 2013, 04:43:46 AM

Well that's unfortunate.

Speaking of, I noticed something about that when I re-read the chapter. The author's notes mention a few special chapters that will come out in the hiatus. The first is tentatively slated for mid-August. The second is that the hiatus should be over by the end of the year.

It may be just as well. With the co-author out of the story due to personal issues, it may give him time to get his shit together and rejoin.
<Afina> Forever.

Grahf

I did notice that the person he co-authored with had recently bowed out due to real life problems. There are other people within that community -- I believe that they're all regular commentators of the fancomic Dragon Ball Multiverse -- that can also aid him. Roketto was mentioned as having helped him with this chapter, and she also works with American Vigor on Honor Trip and has started a fanfic Savior of Demons, which I believe may try to do for Frieza what Honor Trip did for Cell.